Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

Try flying under the radar.

Wow, seriously? I know they instructed you to fly low in that early plane mission, but I didn't know you had to do that outside that mission. Is there any visual indicator of if you're low enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
So apparently R* put out another patch, mainly for online, but does anyone know if they added any more fixes to single-player?

I finally managed to get onto a moving train by jumping out of a helicopter, I was going to have fun sniping people from the moving train but then the train passed through another train that was left on the tracks from a previous story mission, but of course my character got hit by it and died :-(

My worry is with all the focus on Online they just won't bother fixing SP bugs.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
You can just stand by the tracks and climb onto a train trailer when it goes past, you know.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Got kicked by other players from GTA Online, during the cutscene after the race. WHAT THE gently caress how?

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

Ringo Star Get posted:

Got kicked by other players from GTA Online, during the cutscene after the race. WHAT THE gently caress how?

If you can get back in you should continue from where you left, happened to my buddy last night.

Also, this should be in the other thread for online bitching.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573192&pagenumber=22#lastpost

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

thehustler posted:

Guys, final heist question:

Should I invest in gold coast before it if I take option B? I've read this in some places but can't confirm it properly. I want to make as much money as possible on this playthrough.

As far as I know, there are no stocks tied to the final heist. Gold Coast is a construction company, and they are tied to the final assassination mission, not the final heist.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Slayer1597 posted:

If you can get back in you should continue from where you left, happened to my buddy last night.

Funny thing was that it was just after I had to restart the game because on my to G's place, my HUD vanished, then my car, then my body - I was just a gun moving around. I get back on GTA Online and within thirty seconds I'm "kicked by players".

EDIT: And now I just timed out. I know its still early but jesus, its the middle of the day here, everyone is either at work or school.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
So, I finally finished the game, and is it worth playing out the killing Trevor and Michael versions of the game's ending? I actually wanted to go with killing Michael because it seemed like a proper way to end the game, and Franklin was obviously getting tired of his poo poo, but Devin is such a loving rear end in a top hat. I kind of wish the game gave your some incentive to actually trust Devin or at least be guided by selfish desire. As stands, there is really no reason to not believe he won't just kill you. Similarly, I can't even begin to rationalize why Franklin would trust Steve

I really like the ending. It's a really fun change of pace from GTA IV for the ending to be about the characters just coming to terms with being murderous psychos, but that's okay. I also like that Michael really does seem like he's moved on. He's good with his family, and he's a movie producer.

Also small dynamic detail, listening to "Cruising" with Lamar in the final mission was wonderful.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

Ringo Star Get posted:

Funny thing was that it was just after I had to restart the game because on my to G's place, my HUD vanished, then my car, then my body - I was just a gun moving around. I get back on GTA Online and within thirty seconds I'm "kicked by players".

EDIT: And now I just timed out. I know its still early but jesus, its the middle of the day here, everyone is either at work or school.

Yeah man, just hold out they are patching it soon hopefully! And then it will be sexy online man fiesta time.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Timeless Appeal posted:

So, I finally finished the game, and is it worth playing out the killing Trevor and Michael versions of the game's ending? I actually wanted to go with killing Michael because it seemed like a proper way to end the game, and Franklin was obviously getting tired of his poo poo, but Devin is such a loving rear end in a top hat. I kind of wish the game gave your some incentive to actually trust Devin or at least be guided by selfish desire. As stands, there is really no reason to not believe he won't just kill you. Similarly, I can't even begin to rationalize why Franklin would trust Steve

I really like the ending. It's a really fun change of pace from GTA IV for the ending to be about the characters just coming to terms with being murderous psychos, but that's okay. I also like that Michael really does seem like he's moved on. He's good with his family, and he's a movie producer.

Also small dynamic detail, listening to "Cruising" with Lamar in the final mission was wonderful.

In my opinion, either of the non-C endings are just really kind of hollow and depressing and the feeling of the ending is more "Something horrible has just happened, let's try to move past it", whereas the C ending is more "gently caress all these assholes, we're sick of their poo poo"

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Crappy Jack posted:

In my opinion, either of the non-C endings are just really kind of hollow and depressing and the feeling of the ending is more "Something horrible has just happened, let's try to move past it", whereas the C ending is more "gently caress all these assholes, we're sick of their poo poo"

Agreed. C is all about working together and dunking the guys that have been making GBS threads on you the entire game. Definitely the only way to go.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
What are the odds that R* will actually patch anything "major" in Singleplayer? I really feel like the cop AI could do with a bit of tweaking. In general I like the direction they took, it feels a lot slicker and you feel really cool weaving in and out of roads but sometimes they chose really irritating spawn points, like if you're barreling down a long road suddenly it will spawn one a few hundred yards ahead of you and I sometimes actually see them pop in to existence which really deflates any fun I was having evading the police.

Ultimately though I could forgive the bad spawn choices if they would fix it so if I kill someone in the middle of bumfuck nowhere with a silence gun or sniper from a mile off, I shouldn't get an instant wanted star and cops homing in on exactly my location.

Actually what could fix it is if they start on the "hunting" phase instead of starting on the "spotted" phase, that way you have a chance to actually gently caress around with committing crimes and get away before you're caught in a chase. I'd like the wanted levels more if cops also didn't blatantly pull in to random back roads you took and then get out of their car and immediately run to your hiding spot. It feels really cheap and lacks any sort of fun or engagement.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 4, 2013

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Frankiln making it rain for Michael

SUV McTwist fail

akula
Oct 24, 2004

the cops are pretty bad in online modes too, like one mission where I had to deliver a briefcase. I must have had about 10 police units swarming me and killing me over and over again. Kind of annoying.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I would say it's highly unlikely they change the cop AI in singleplayer and patch it. I'm also basing this off of nothing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I would say the worst part of cops is the one that gets a speed boost to ram you. How the hell does the cop go that fast? That and when you get knocked or bumped and your car veers off to the left or right and you can't correct it at all. I've somewhat gotten used to the terrible grip mechanics when sliding. Why do I lose control of my car for no reason? It's like the car is undrivable for a set amount of time before it lets me steer back onto the road.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

akula posted:

the cops are pretty bad in online modes too, like one mission where I had to deliver a briefcase. I must have had about 10 police units swarming me and killing me over and over again. Kind of annoying.

Their AI seems to be pretty spotty in multiplayer. Like you can get stars just for being in the general vicinity of another human player doing something, regardless of if you were involved. I had some griefers in a chopper resort to shooting civilians near my hiding spot when they couldn't get to me from the chopper, and I wound up with 3 stars and being besieged by police, who completely ignored the guys hovering directly overhead.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

wa27 posted:

Wow, seriously? I know they instructed you to fly low in that early plane mission, but I didn't know you had to do that outside that mission. Is there any visual indicator of if you're low enough?

The real reason to fly low is because the AI doesn't deal well with obstacles and will eventually crash their helicopter if you force them to juke around mountains or buildings at close ranges.

Mandrel posted:

Their AI seems to be pretty spotty in multiplayer. Like you can get stars just for being in the general vicinity of another human player doing something, regardless of if you were involved. I had some griefers in a chopper resort to shooting civilians near my hiding spot when they couldn't get to me from the chopper, and I wound up with 3 stars and being besieged by police, who completely ignored the guys hovering directly overhead.

This is intended, you're also a criminal. In one of the numerous pop ups in the top left corner the game warns you that being near wanted players gives you a wanted level too, regardless of what you're doing.

Also this is genius.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Yeah I doubt they'll change it, but it would be nice to have some sort of cheat mode or "loving about mode", disable saving by all means, but why can't I run around with the armoured suit off-mission?

Also I landed on top of the blimp and planned to use the sniper rifle to pop people from a distance, unfortunately you can't see any pedestrians at all from that distance (just cars), but I guess this is probably a limitation of current-gen hardware rather than anything inherently wrong with the game.

FWIW this is now my favourite GTA game, it's easy to look back at old games with rose tinted glasses, but I'm having lots of fun even just driving around the world and not really doing much, which speaks volumes. I do think however the music selection was better in SA, and I'm a little off-put by the lowly amount of health you get.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

akula posted:

It's even easier to get away from cops in Online because you can just pull into Los Santos Customs to instantly lose the wanted level, then respray the car and they won't ever chase you again and you can complete the mission. You can drive into a garage too and they won't be able to follow you and you'll lose your wanted level after a while.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Even though the screen lights up like the cops know your exact position, it's more indicative that they know where you are and they are on their way. So even though it's not officially in stealth mode, try to follow where all the little cop icons are on the map and act accordingly. If you avoid them, you can go into stealth mode pretty easily. After you go into stealth mode, lose your car if you can, and find a hiding place. If there are choppers than make sure the chopper is a good distance away before you hide.

The real problem is if the cops get on top of you because they are relentless. If you're in the city though, the LS river and the train tracks should be prioritized. If you're in the country then aim for off roading and just be patient. You'll eventually shake them off of you. No matter what vehicle you're in, you'll always do a better job with mountains than the AI.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
My last bunch of fun was running from the cops in the city by driving around and around the same block. They can't corner very well :v:

Sundowner posted:

What are the odds that R* will actually patch anything "major" in Singleplayer? I really feel like the cop AI could do with a bit of tweaking. In general I like the direction they took, it feels a lot slicker and you feel really cool weaving in and out of roads but sometimes they chose really irritating spawn points, like if you're barreling down a long road suddenly it will spawn one a few hundred yards ahead of you and I sometimes actually see them pop in to existence which really deflates any fun I was having evading the police.

Ultimately though I could forgive the bad spawn choices if they would fix it so if I kill someone in the middle of bumfuck nowhere with a silence gun or sniper from a mile off, I shouldn't get an instant wanted star and cops homing in on exactly my location.

Actually what could fix it is if they start on the "hunting" phase instead of starting on the "spotted" phase, that way you have a chance to actually gently caress around with committing crimes and get away before you're caught in a chase. I'd like the wanted levels more if cops also didn't blatantly pull in to random back roads you took and then get out of their car and immediately run to your hiding spot. It feels really cheap and lacks any sort of fun or engagement.

I wonder if this is what the stealth stat does. I'll have to try hiding in bushes with Franklin and then again with Micheal and see if Micheal has less cops randomly checking the bushes.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

VarXX posted:

It's even easier to get away from cops in Online because you can just pull into Los Santos Customs to instantly lose the wanted level, then respray the car and they won't ever chase you again and you can complete the mission. You can drive into a garage too and they won't be able to follow you and you'll lose your wanted level after a while.

You can apparently lower your wanted level by changing your appearance, or at least this is what the tool-tips say. Commit crimes wearing a mask, then take it off once you're out of sight?

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010

Pickled Kittens posted:

This is intended, you're also a criminal. In one of the numerous pop ups in the top left corner the game warns you that being near wanted players gives you a wanted level too, regardless of what you're doing.

Also this is genius.

Indeed it is. I had much fun this morning getting 4 stars at the base and pulling the cops towards all the players in free roam

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Anyone got some single player weirdness on the PS3 after the last patch? Now I got the sonar active even when I'm not in the sub, and the upper right icon in my phone (where there used to be a mission checklist) is now a "job list".

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
HELP! :siren: Tell me, have you seen her?

After the Garage glitch being fixed, I took this car to get decked out. Spent well over 10-15 grand. The acceleration is maxed out; and it's my trouble super-robber cruiser. But after a confrontation with a Clown car full of Lost guys with machine guns, I got wasted.

Can someone direct me to where the impound lot is? Not sure if there are different ones or not, but I got wasted up near Trevor's trailer by the clothes store I was about to rob.

And yeah, I am hanging out with hobos and my sweet ride.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I noticed something interesting during one of the property missions (Pitchers getting shot up I think?) that might explain a bit about the cop behavior. Civvies were driving around in a total panic screaming their heads off for a really good distance around the shootout (like a couple if big city blocks), way before I could hear anything going off, and I'm willing to bet the cop AI relies on the same thing. Folks in LS are just hypersensitive to gunfire I guess.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Some of y'all may know this already, some may not:

:siren: New patch is out today. Version 1.02. 39MB download. On PS3, I was able to connect just fine and get past the tutorial race. :siren:

Now that the connection issues seem to have been worked out, take all further GTAO discussion to the Online thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573192

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Marshmallow Blue posted:

HELP! :siren: Tell me, have you seen her?

After the Garage glitch being fixed, I took this car to get decked out. Spent well over 10-15 grand. The acceleration is maxed out; and it's my trouble super-robber cruiser. But after a confrontation with a Clown car full of Lost guys with machine guns, I got wasted.

Can someone direct me to where the impound lot is? Not sure if there are different ones or not, but I got wasted up near Trevor's trailer by the clothes store I was about to rob.

And yeah, I am hanging out with hobos and my sweet ride.

There's only one impound lot, and it's in the city. Just scroll through the points of interest on the map until you see it, then mark it with a waypoint and take a taxi.

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

So I'm stuck and can't progress through the story.

Final mission spoilers
I chose the discreet option and stole the police truck but I'm stuck at modding the 3 gauntlet cars, Los Santos Customs will not open so I can't mod the cars. I've tried multiple characters, different cars, using Franklin to buy the one near Sandy Shores and going there instead of the one near the airport, none of this works. In fact the one near Sandy Shores, the garage wouldn't open, but I could walk in through the front door and get the garage doors to open while I'm inside, but driving the car in won't trigger anything. Am I screwed since I don't have a save before choosing the heist path?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

ymgve posted:

Anyone got some single player weirdness on the PS3 after the last patch? Now I got the sonar active even when I'm not in the sub, and the upper right icon in my phone (where there used to be a mission checklist) is now a "job list".

I've had this on the Xbox version since the online patch. I hadn't actually used the sub outside of story missions yet and was confused upon seeing the sonar blips, and the check list thing is odd, feels like one of the weird mix-ups between online and offline reported (if it helps, I did manage to access the check list at some point, maybe sign out of the Internet if that's possible?). Best bet is to report them to Rockstar. For all their detriments, they do seem like they're taking troubleshooting quite seriously for the time being.

At 90% now! Did all the remaining races today (had a bit of trouble on the bike one around Vespucci for some reason but the off-road ones were pretty easy, even if I did end up listening to "Hollywood Nights" countless times in the process) and saw Meltdown, just silly fun. For all the acid flashbacks people have apparently gotten about NIKO ITS YOUR COUSIN, I'm glad they kept the "hang out" feature, the dialogue you get in those situations feels a little more refined as does much of the dialogue in general, which I like (I'm impressed that they actually wrote and recorded some specific end-game dialogue for the throwaway trips to the bar/strip club/etc.).

The bulk of the remaining stuff is collectibles. I don't mind them, I actually like how they get you to explore a bit but yeah, they take time and I will just have my laptop to guide me because lazy.

EDIT: V Ah, fair enough, haven't done that either yet.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 4, 2013

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009
The sonar has always been active on foot. Actually it's not even tied to the submersible mission. It's the dinghy mission.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
Does the tank respawn in your garage(/hanger?) whenever it gets destroyed? Any other vehicles that do this?

Where are all the propeller planes? I have never seen one at either of Trevor's hangers except those that you can't use unless you are on a mission/time trial. I saw one at the city airport but it never seems to respawn. The private jets don't even fit into Trevor's hanger.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The bulk of the remaining stuff is collectibles. I don't mind them, I actually like how they get you to explore a bit but yeah, they take time and I will just have my laptop to guide me because lazy.

The collectibles and the Epsilon missions are the only thing I have left for 100% at this point. I plan to just take my time with the collectibles, hop on for an hour and grab maybe 10-15 of them and take a breather. It definitely does help you explore points in the game you'd probably never see otherwise and I'd hate to imagine forcing myself to do all that poo poo at once.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Wait, there are collectables in this game? What kind? All I ever find by accident on the map are those hidden instances of wallet thiefs or people tricking me into holdups.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:
There are quite a few different collectibles and some of them yield interesting rewards.

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/gta-5/Collectibles

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SheepNameKiller posted:

The collectibles and the Epsilon missions are the only thing I have left for 100% at this point. I plan to just take my time with the collectibles, hop on for an hour and grab maybe 10-15 of them and take a breather. It definitely does help you explore points in the game you'd probably never see otherwise and I'd hate to imagine forcing myself to do all that poo poo at once.

For the love of god, save the collectibles for your ten days of robe wearing for the Epsilon quests. I did that and it made things sooooo much easier for me.

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
e-wrong thread sorry

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

This is kinda old, so it might be old news, but GQ did an interview with the main character voice actors (http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-feed/2013/09/the-gqa-grand-theft-auto-v-actors-talk-franklin-michael-and-crazy-trevor.html), and at one point, Steve Ogg goes full Trevor explaining trying to install GTAV. It's hilarious reading it in his voice:

quote:

Okay, we’ve got 2.7 gigabytes, gigabang, gigawhatever. [Steven slips into full on Trevor mode] What the gently caress is this?! Okay there’s two discs. Put this one in first. Okay. What the gently caress? Where to load it? I don’t know. Load it onto here. Manage storage. gently caress! I just want to see the opening. I’m going to cover his face and ears if it starts with Trevor jumping on a skull screaming, “gently caress! gently caress! gently caress!”—he’s not going to hear that…but he’s so excited, he just wants to see the opening (or anything).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I was driving down the Highway right off the coast when I spotted something sitting right in the middle of the road.

Land shark ahoy!

• Locked thread