Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm so used to just using my bare desk surface since I'm a barbarian idiot retard but this looks pretty handy for other hobbies too. Would it be a bad idea to double up this thing's use as a mouse pad with its intended use as a cutting board?

I wouldn't cut on your mouse pad. You'll notice the mouse will catch on it.

http://steelseries.com/us/products/surfaces/steelseries-qck-heavy
http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-goliathus-speed-edition

These come in all sizes so pick what's best for you. Cloth pads are still the best, much as wired mice, and optical sensors are still the best. I know razers drivers even have precalibration settings if you use one of their mice with their pads so it's set and forget, IIRC steelseries doesn't have this yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I still use a bare desk surface because my mouse pad keeps getting caught in the keyboard tray track and it's a really tiny space. I really need to get a low profile keyboard for gaming that's thinner and more compact but I can still hit a ton of buttons simultaneously and has the standard microsoft keyboard buttons and numpad.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Ularg posted:

I still use a bare desk surface because my mouse pad keeps getting caught in the keyboard tray track and it's a really tiny space. I really need to get a low profile keyboard for gaming that's thinner and more compact but I can still hit a ton of buttons simultaneously and has the standard microsoft keyboard buttons and numpad.

Sounds like what you really need is a bigger desk surface.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

AirRaid posted:

Sounds like what you really need is a bigger desk surface.

Well that would be possible if I have a bigger room surface.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
It's a shame they don't make icemats anymore. I've had a black one for I don't even know how many years now and all it needs is a wipe down every couple days. It has minor visible signs of wear in the center but it seems like one of those things that will never stop functioning right as long as it just doesn't break and also break my heart.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Gazaar posted:

It's a shame they don't make icemats anymore. I've had a black one for I don't even know how many years now and all it needs is a wipe down every couple days. It has minor visible signs of wear in the center but it seems like one of those things that will never stop functioning right as long as it just doesn't break and also break my heart.

It's not glass, but the Steelseries HD mousepads have a hard plastic surface which is really, really nice and seems durable as hell.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Ularg posted:

I have a very similar setup with the same problem. As a solution, I picked up a Razer gaming keypad and replace my keyboard with it while gaming. I do sacrifice the ability to type quickly in-game but the extra mousing space is absolutely worth it to me.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
I'm possibly the only person left in the world who prefers them, but trackballs perform excellently in small environments. Less wrist strain from prolonged use, too.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

The Gunslinger posted:

Frustrated I turned to knockoffs which work just fine (outside of a manual driver install which takes 5 seconds) and somehow managed better QA.

Yeah seconding this I have no issues with the knockoff receiver. Just don't use the driver disc they give you. When you plug it in select browse for device driver then go to the list and select Microsoft Common Controller for Windows Class then Xbox 360™ receiver.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Besides AC1/2 what games don't recognize the wireless controller? I haven't had any issues, those were the only two I was aware of.

Episodes from Liberty City is a game where the controller will work but the buttons are all mapped wrong and I haven't found a way to make it work or rebind the controls. Weird because GTA IV works like designed so somewhere the controller settings for EFLC got messed up. R* Customer Service says they only support the wired 360™ controller but on the EFLC page it lists the wireless controller as being supported.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Male Man posted:

I'm possibly the only person left in the world who prefers them, but trackballs perform excellently in small environments. Less wrist strain from prolonged use, too.

It's one of those things that no matter how hard I try I can't get used to. I still fight with finding the right sensitivity setting for my mouse.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Male Man posted:

I used a Trackman Marble for more than a decade. I stopped because I literally ran out of parts to fix them with, and all the trackballs out there now are designed by aliens with twelve ten inch fingers on each hand.

If I could get a modern equivalent in the same form factor, I'd buy a bunch of em.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Ularg posted:

Honestly, that whole setup seems ungainly to me. You could have a single flat surface with no tray, giving you way more room for mouse/keyboard, without really losing much space. Shove your monitors back as far as they'll go, or as far as it's comfortable, and there's ample room for keyboard/mouse/hands. Here's my desktop for reference. It's a bit dark and messy but you get the idea.

I have an irrational hate of keyboard trays. Awful things. :v:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

AirRaid posted:

Honestly, that whole setup seems ungainly to me. You could have a single flat surface with no tray, giving you way more room for mouse/keyboard, without really losing much space. Shove your monitors back as far as they'll go, or as far as it's comfortable, and there's ample room for keyboard/mouse/hands. Here's my desktop for reference. It's a bit dark and messy but you get the idea.

I have an irrational hate of keyboard trays. Awful things. :v:

I had that setup for awhile but my current chairs aren't that high so my elbow would be angling up and then my wrist angled forward which causes a bit of discomfort and pain. It's a lot less noticeable on this lower surface.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I had that issue before. I shortened the legs of the table I was using. :black101:

I now have an Ikea kitchen table which is exactly the right height and was £25, it's awesome. I don't think I'll ever pay for a "Computer desk" again.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I just need a new computer chair. I swap between a lawn chair that has a slight lean back but mainly strict on keeping my back straight (which is good) and a recliner when I am doing console games. Every computer chair I get I break somehow under my fat rear end. The last one just started to lean every direction instead of just backwards.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I also have to have a compact desk for a somewhat compact environment. I like being able to put stuff on my desk, like food, notebooks, whatever, so a keyboard tray is still ideal for me. It also means I need compact keyboards. That said, I've been eyeballing the Steelseries line, the the 6g has come recommended and have a nice compact formfactor: http://steelseries.com/us/products/keyboards/steelseries-6gv2-red-switch I'm prob not going to get one until ext year or so but I figured I'd throw that out there for people who want small but good keyboards. It's about 17.5 inches across.

But jeez, Ularg, push those monitors back! Are they really right up on your face when you game like it seems? I keep mine about two feet back.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 3, 2013

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

terre packet posted:

I have a very similar setup with the same problem. As a solution, I picked up a Razer gaming keypad and replace my keyboard with it while gaming. I do sacrifice the ability to type quickly in-game but the extra mousing space is absolutely worth it to me.

Use a huge rear end mousepad and put the keyboard on it as well, see the desk on the right

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I also have to have a compact desk for a somewhat compact environment. I like being able to put stuff on my desk, like food, notebooks, whatever, so a keyboard tray is still ideal for me. It also means I need compact keyboards. That said, I've been eyeballing the Steelseries line, the the 6g has come recommended and have a nice compact formfactor: http://steelseries.com/us/products/keyboards/steelseries-6gv2-red-switch I'm prob not going to get one until ext year or so but I figured I'd throw that out there for people who want small but good keyboards. It's about 17.5 inches across.

But jeez, Ularg, push those monitors back! Are they really right up on your face when you game like it seems? I keep mine about two feet back.

My recliner is so low it feels pretty awful to have it that far back whenever I am playing console games and chilling back. But I'm pretty much used to this distance with PC gaming and I'm afraid of not being able to stand being further away. I'll need bigger monitors! :shepface:

Love the reply though. I pretty much had to stop eating in my room as much as I hated just staring at a wall while I ate in my kitchen but it means less mess. Now if only I can drink from a straw without worrying about the drink flinging drips and drops onto a monitor.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I have the 6gv2 and it is excellent. Really solid keyboard. Literally.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

SilentD posted:

Use a huge rear end mousepad and put the keyboard on it as well, see the desk on the right

Do you have a third battlestation with a bunch of Thermaltake logos? Christ, those look terrible.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

SilentD posted:

:goonsay:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Oh c'mon. He's taken the effort to put up motherboards and I think they look pretty cool. They're probably all dead ones too or just really outdated. At least it isn't the motherboard pinup poster you get whenever you buy a new one. Hey Ms MSI.

Edit: Oh hey a crotch fan.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 3, 2013

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

YourAverageJoe posted:

Do you have a third battlestation with a bunch of Thermaltake logos? Christ, those look terrible.

It's called brand loyalty :dukedog:

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Ularg posted:

Oh c'mon. He's taken the effort to put up motherboards and I think they look pretty cool. They're probably all dead ones too or just really outdated. At least it isn't the motherboard pinup poster you get whenever you buy a new one. Hey Ms MSI.

Edit: Oh hey a crotch fan.

I actually did overclocking reviews for a while. So I've got various ASUS ROG boards nailed to the wall all over the place that I killed off under LN2 runs at various points. The razer logos are on a box that uses razer gear, steelseries for the same. I've got a more "professional" work area. It isn't full of gaming crap, the computers aren't liquid cooled, and I didn't nail motherboards to the wall.

I've also had various hardware sponsors over the years, I'm not ashamed to be fairly loyal them.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SilentD posted:

All I can hear when I see this picture is, "MOOOOOOOOM, SHUT THE gently caress UP I'M TRYING TO RAID IN HERE!"

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

DrNutt posted:

All I can hear when I see this picture is, "MOOOOOOOOM, SHUT THE gently caress UP I'M TRYING TO RAID IN HERE!"

Thanks! I've got two apartments, one of them is the sort of thing that would get that reactions, the other makes people think I'm Pat Bateman.

That picture doesn't even show majority of the LAN stuff.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I still have a 48 port switch for lan gaming that I'm going to set up soon so I can have all of my consoles and computer wired instead of competing for wireless.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Ularg posted:

I still have a 48 port switch for lan gaming that I'm going to set up soon so I can have all of my consoles and computer wired instead of competing for wireless.

DO IT! Rocking a 24port CISCO, wireless sucks. And yes the crotch fan rocks. Get's very hot in DC and the humidity is bad.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

SilentD posted:

DO IT! Rocking a 24port CISCO, wireless sucks. And yes the crotch fan rocks. Get's very hot in DC and the humidity is bad.
Tell me you're not wasting power by trying to use that loving SunFire (or Netra maybe).

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Less Fat Luke posted:

Tell me you're not wasting power by trying to use that loving SunFire (or Netra maybe).

It's a SunFire. It's only there because a friend of mine had never gone through the old Solaris installs through console, so I put it up there for him. It's just simply an old sparc proc and 10k SCSI drive off a (I forget the brand off the top of my head) controller. I've got a fair amount of old stuff here from when I had a lab running to practice for some certifications.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Speaking of lack of desk space, I'm actually not hurting for any, but I just recently made a purchase that certainly gives me even MORE desk space. Amazon has them well under MSRP right now.

Ergotron LX Monitor Arms

Mainly I got them so I could shift back and forth between regular desktop computing and flight simming.

Pre-emptive: :goonsay:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Well it seems that I can no longer play video games online. Not on PC anyway. I never get enough of a chance to try on PS3 but I pretty much have similar problems there. :v:

Hate myself for this drat thing and I have no idea what to do after googling about everything I can think of.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Essobie posted:

Speaking of lack of desk space, I'm actually not hurting for any, but I just recently made a purchase that certainly gives me even MORE desk space. Amazon has them well under MSRP right now.

Ergotron LX Monitor Arms

Mainly I got them so I could shift back and forth between regular desktop computing and flight simming.

Pre-emptive: :goonsay:

I actually got a desk mount arm from monoprice for a fraction of the cost and it has held up fine for over a year.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

SilentD posted:

Am I seeing things, or is there a fan down there aimed at your crotch?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

SilentD posted:

Thanks! I've got two apartments, one of them is the sort of thing that would get that reactions, the other makes people think I'm Pat Bateman.

That picture doesn't even show majority of the LAN stuff.

Oh yeah, this post helps your argument.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

notZaar posted:

Am I seeing things, or is there a fan down there aimed at your crotch?

He's acknowledged it and even discussed the brand of fan.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

ColHannibal posted:

I actually got a desk mount arm from monoprice for a fraction of the cost and it has held up fine for over a year.

The ones I found on monoprice all looked really cheap, and the best looking one (in my opinion) said it was specced out for 15-22in monitors, and I rock 24s. Plus, mine look like I dismembered the Terminator and made his bones hold up my displays. :colbert:

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

Reason posted:

Is there any official wireless adapters for the 360 controllers for PC? All the ones on Amazon are generic brands it seems like, even the ones that say Microsoft on them have reviews saying they are cheap and not official Microsoft poo poo. I bought a Logitech controller and I'm not as big a fan of it as I am of the 360 one simply because I've used the 360 one so, so much. I might just buy a wired 360 controller.

Sorry if I'm too late, but I just had to do this myself. You have to look for ones that say Microsoft, not Xbox 360. I got mine from here for 18.95. I signed up for and then cancelled a free month of Prime to get free shipping. It's the real deal, and it works great.

Sir Liquid Jerk
Aug 10, 2002
I have Ham Armor +5!

What Fun posted:

Sorry if I'm too late, but I just had to do this myself. You have to look for ones that say Microsoft, not Xbox 360. I got mine from here for 18.95. I signed up for and then cancelled a free month of Prime to get free shipping. It's the real deal, and it works great.

Those Microsoft ones haven't been made in a long time that's why they're hard to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
On the topic of using a 360 controller on the PC, does anyone else experience a weird lack of smoothness to analog movement?

Playing on an actual Xbox 360, the controller feels like it offers a very wide range of analog sensitivity. It's really responsive and feels great. Playing the same or similar games on the PC with the controller, the analog control feels more jerky. Moving the right thumbstick for camera movement almost feels strictly 8 way and abrupt.

• Locked thread