Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Did I already post a "Vought never made a bad looking airplane" post in this thread, or was it the other one?

It isn't strictly so, the Pirate was not an aesthetic triumph. But everything else was just plain interesting and different from what anybody else was building.

The Ford in High-Vis wasn't bad either:

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Booblord Zagats posted:

The F-15 just looks 80s as gently caress to me, like a flying IROC-Z,

Yep. Can't unsee it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The F-15 can take off, stand on its tail, and accelerate straight up until it runs out of air. I'm sure the F-16's been up-engined since I was a kid but it couldn't do that originally.

Also the F-15 has shot poo poo down in space and I don't recall any stinky F-16 doing that

The F-16 was also just a lame rehash of the lawn-dart done right

which could also go into space

... although it kinda sucked on the whole 'coming back' part

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Snowdens Secret posted:

The F-15 can take off, stand on its tail, and accelerate straight up until it runs out of air. I'm sure the F-16's been up-engined since I was a kid but it couldn't do that originally.
Depends on fuel and ordinance load. F-16 was always capable doing this while lightly loaded. Same deal with F-35. I mean, if it can hover, it's got good power-to-weight, ya know? The big deal was that F-15C was so powerful that it could still do it (though barely) at full combat load. F-22A can do it at full combat load with a considerable margin because it's simply the motherfucking bomb.

F-22A has a motherfucking 1.6:1 power-to-weight ratio unloaded, which is simply astounding. If you're talking ballistic trajectory, if an F-22 at its max (public) ceiling of 65,000ft pulls straight up at Mach 2.2 and cuts off the engine, it'll continue going straight up for about 76 seconds, topping out at about 160,000ft (30 miles) altitude. That's pretty loving crazy.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
To be fair, the F-16 Block 52 has a more powerful engine than the older models did.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Why can't we build 100 B-2s and like 1000 f-22s?

The B-2's mission of hunting down TELs is such an important mission that we need to have a whole bunch of them.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Godholio posted:

To be fair, the F-16 Block 52 has a more powerful engine than the older models did.

Oh sure, and it's an APA graph anyway ;)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
When I was a little kid this was the ideal fighter jet look: THE HUN!

Also: America, gently caress YEAH! :black101:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Snowdens Secret posted:

Also the F-15 has shot poo poo down in space and I don't recall any stinky F-16 doing that

The F-16 was also just a lame rehash of the lawn-dart done right

which could also go into space

... although it kinda sucked on the whole 'coming back' part

Can someone tell me the story behind the Starfighter going to space?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Rude. posted:

Well if The Right Stuff is to be believed, Chuck Yeager was jealous of the Mercury folks.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Rude. posted:

It could do a pretty good zoom climb, that is all. Don't take the post too seriously it's there to frame the pretty pictures.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Rude. posted:

They were using an F-104 with a rocket on it to set a time-to-climb record.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Man, the 1950s/60s era Air Force was loving incredibly awesome.

What the gently caress happened.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Vasudus posted:

Force shaping.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The 1980's ended.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
MBAs.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Missiles.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Vasudus posted:

People stopped bolting together whatever random assortment of wings/engines/nuclear reactors that they could find.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

People stopped bolting together whatever random assortment of wings/engines/nuclear reactors that they could find.

Yeah, back then the Air Force was basically Kerbal Space Program: Aviation Insanity.

Same attitude towards crew survival.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Vasudus posted:

We landed on the Moon.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

shyduck posted:

We landed on the Moon.

NASA did.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Well yeah, but I think a lot that cool Air Force poo poo particularly in the 50s was made to pursue space, especially before NASA was even a thing.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
the International Fleet Review 2013 is on in Sydney this weekend, wish I could be there.
It is celebrating the 100th anniversary of the first time the newly built Australian fleet sailed into Sydney harbour, just before the outbreak of WW1.

Oct. 4, 2013: HMAS DARWIN, PERTH [III] and PARRAMATTA round Bradley's Head during the 2013 Internbational Fleet Review - POIS Rick Prideaux, RAN. by Kookaburra2011, on Flickr

International Fleet Review by Hi, World! It's Sammy!, on Flickr

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
All those pleasurecraft within 500 yards

My old captain would be making GBS threads kittens

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm guessing you weren't east coast, because Norfolk sea & anchor is 3 hours of misery.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

thats the aussie navy the real ships are ours

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I see the RN scrounged some dubloons together to send what is probably their only active ship down under.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Canadian ships that were supposed to go collided with each other. :canada:

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

At least we know they apologized

Red7
Sep 10, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

Oh please say that your Captain was the one that made ready on a Royal Navy pilot ship during Trafalgar 200.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

That is frickin adorable.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

MrYenko posted:

It'll the best when there aren't any F-8s or A-4s left on the planet. So, roughly never.

Also McRaven for CJCS, both for that and because he's the man.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

:3:

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Red7 posted:

Oh please say that your Captain was the one that made ready on a Royal Navy pilot ship during Trafalgar 200.

Hey, can this be translated to civviespeak? I suspect it's some hilarious shenanigan but I have zero idea what.
Thanks in advance!

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Made ready in the army refers to putting a round up the spout, dunno if it means naval ordinance in a gun or the guy actually made ready with his personal weapon either or poor show that man.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011

Red7 posted:

Trafalgar 200.

Oh hey, I was there in the crowd. Seeing all the ships lined up at Spithead was amazing.

I remember they had a historical demo of the battle near the end of it, but they called the combatants the Red and Blue teams so as to not offend the frenchies. :britain: :france:

e: and spaniards I guess :spain:

Dilettante. fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Made ready in the army refers to putting a round up the spout, dunno if it means naval ordinance in a gun or the guy actually made ready with his personal weapon either or poor show that man.

I imagine it means the same thing, but the only topside weapon we had was a Mk 46 machine gun (basically a SAW) and it was always loaded. We had a fuckoff loud horn that small boats loved to ignore.

My captain got so frustrated with small boats cutting him off that he drove his nuclear warship into a mountain.

• Locked thread