Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

It even has Mercurius and Vayeate in there. This is just SO perfect! :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Bird mode: Check
Mercurius and Vayate: Check
Spinny attack pose: Holy mother of check!

EDIT: This is something I've been wondering since I got my AGE-2 Double Bullet, does anyone know why MG boxes are getting squatter and wider? Is it something to do with different style runners or what?

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 1, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's pretty much just to make the smaller kits look more impressive. Also to screw over importers since those kind of boxes require larger packaging.

By the way, it's actually pretty likely that Proto Zero is going to kick off the next wave of Wing mechs. It may finally be time for Altron/Heavyarms Kai/Sandrock Kai.

EDIT: Gundam Guy has more released information on the Proto Zero, and holy poo poo it's October do you know what that means?

:swoon:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 1, 2013

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

TaurusOxford posted:

It even has Mercurius and Vayeate in there. This is just SO perfect! :swoon:

Oh poo poo, I missed that at first glance.

...that means they are getting kits, right :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Why's there an Endless Waltz tag on the box? Isn't that the TV version?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

BlitzBlast posted:

holy poo poo it's October do you know what that means?[/i]

:swoon:

As someone whose favorite Gundam series is X, that HGAW Double X makes me very very nervous. I really really like the reflective sticker they used on the regular X but I haven't seen anything like that in any of the pictures I've seen of the Double X. I'm holding off on getting excited for it until I can find out for sure whether they gave the DX reflective stickers or not-- if not I'll probably end up passing on it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wish.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Cause there's currently a Gundam Wing manga running called Glory of the Losers, which is basically the anime except it's using the mobile suit designs from Endless Waltz. The idea is that they wanted to retcon TV Wing Zero into the EW universe, but not overwrite Wing Zero EW itself. The result is making TV Wing Zero the prototype for EW Wing Zero, hence Proto Zero.

Son Ryo posted:

As someone whose favorite Gundam series is X, that HGAW Double X makes me very very nervous. I really really like the reflective sticker they used on the regular X but I haven't seen anything like that in any of the pictures I've seen of the Double X. I'm holding off on getting excited for it until I can find out for sure whether they gave the DX reflective stickers or not-- if not I'll probably end up passing on it.

http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2013/07/hgaw-1144-gundam-double-x-new-images.html#more - looks pretty reflective to me.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 1, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
You know, I've never actually liked the angel-winged EW Wing Zero, but I really like the look of that Proto Zero. I figured that the Deathscythe and Heavyarms would be the only Wing MGs I get, but I'm not gonna lie, I'm really tempted when I look at that thing. I'm not even a big fan of Gundam Wing.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

TaurusOxford posted:

Cause there's currently a Gundam Wing manga running called Glory of the Losers, which is basically the anime except it's using the mobile suit designs from Endless Waltz. The idea is that they wanted to retcon TV Wing Zero into the EW universe, but not overwrite Wing Zero EW itself. The result is making TV Wing Zero the prototype for EW Wing Zero, hence Proto Zero.

This isn't exactly right. The MG they're selling is another Katoki redesign. It's definitely based on the original TV Wing Zero, but it's also different enough to make me lose interest.

Huh, I hadn't seen these pictures of it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, though I can't really afford to preorder it right now anyway.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Son Ryo posted:

This isn't exactly right. The MG they're selling is another Katoki redesign. It's definitely based on the original TV Wing Zero, but it's also different enough to make me lose interest.

I'm aware that it's a Katoki redesign, but gently caress it - close enough. Besides, I don't hate Katoki's redesigns like some people do, so a fresh take on TV Wing Zero is fine by me. It'll look great with my Epyon and other EW Wing kits.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
I'm getting it both because gently caress yeah, TV Wing Zero, and because with it I can have the two Zeros in that pose from the Perfect Mission video.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As others have mentioned it's not exactly TV Wing Zero, but the Endless Waltz tag is also because Bandai's trying to get all the Wing kits under that label. MG Tallgeese was actually kind of a clusterfuck because of this since it never showed up in EW at all; the manual even says that it's the same thing as the TV version. The only thing "Endless Waltz" about it are that the colors come from some illustrations Katoki did in Newtype while Wing was airing.

Also Proto Zero is a legitimately awesome redesign of the TV Wing Zero, so I'm not really sure why it being drawn by Katoki is enough to make someone pass up on it.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
I was going to pass on the Double X, but the design is growing on me and that HG kit looks great. The HG X was a really fun build and hopefully this one is along the same lines.

This past weekend was Anime Weekend Atlanta and I picked up the new HG Wing Gundam and the HG Astray Blue Frame Second L. :dance: It'll probably be a while before I get around to building them, though; I just moved and all my robot kits are still packed away and my display cabinets haven't been moved out of temporary storage yet.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm aware that it's a Katoki redesign, but gently caress it - close enough. Besides, I don't hate Katoki's redesigns like some people do, so a fresh take on TV Wing Zero is fine by me. It'll look great with my Epyon and other EW Wing kits.

I actually like his redesigns better sans the angel-winged Wing Zero from EW, am I some kind of freak of nature? Granted, I don't particularly care for the changed color schemes for the Heavyarms and Sandrock in EW, but the EW MG Heavyarms is in orange and looks badass as hell (and the Sandrock is also in grey).

It's odd how the MGs are all the Katoki versions of the non-upgraded Gundams that didn't actually appear in Endless Waltz (except for the Deathscythe in a flashback), and the only mid-series upgraded Gundams are the Wing Zero (now in two flavors) and Deathscythe Hell.

I wonder if they're going to do the Heavyarms Kai, Sandrock Kai and Altron as they actually appeared in Endless Waltz. I would assume they would as you would simply have to remold some parts and just put in a couple different runners and change the plastic colors yet keep the same base kit.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Wait... so what the hell is THIS one called?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Wait... so what the hell is THIS one called?

Wing Gundam ver. ka, or Wing Gundam EW.

Edit: Here's a simple guide for Wing and Wing Zero. The left is Okawara's version, the right is Katoki's version, and the middle is Okawara's version drawn by Katoki.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 1, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

I wonder if they're going to do the Heavyarms Kai, Sandrock Kai and Altron as they actually appeared in Endless Waltz.

They will. Sandrock ver EW already has connectors for the Kai's cape, and you could turn Shenlong into Altron yourself if you had the right color paints.

If you ever find yourself asking "Will Bandai find a way to recycle this frame" the answer is always yes. It could take a while, but they will.

quote:

It's odd how the MGs are all the Katoki versions of the non-upgraded Gundams that didn't actually appear in Endless Waltz

It's really not. It's much easier to sell pre-upgrade Gundams if there isn't competition from the upgrade, the pre-upgrades use less plastic, and technically they did all appear, just in the backstory. It's like how there's a kit for the Full Armor Gundam or the Perfect Gundam despite that never actually being a thing.

EDIT: Also the only design that legitimately suffered from the ver Ka treatment was the Epyon. Everything else looks just as cool/better.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 2, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

They will. Sandrock ver EW already has connectors for the Kai's cape, and you could turn Shenlong into Altron yourself if you had the right color paints.

If you ever find yourself asking "Will Bandai find a way to recycle this frame" the answer is always yes. It could take a while, but they will.

It's really not. It's much easier to sell pre-upgrade Gundams if there isn't competition from the upgrade, the pre-upgrades use less plastic, and technically they did all appear, just in the backstory. It's like how there's a kit for the Full Armor Gundam or the Perfect Gundam despite that never actually being a thing.

EDIT: Also the only design that legitimately suffered from the ver Ka treatment was the Epyon. Everything else looks just as cool/better.

That makes a lot of sense. Although wouldn't you need two Shenlongs to make Altron as it has two dragon arms?

And yeah, Full Armor Gundam and Perfect Zeong have MG kits even though they're non-canon.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Someone found out that Barnes & Noble is selling Gunpla:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Barnes & Nobles signed the deal with Bluefin back in January. :ssh:

It's all pretty reasonably priced for imports (+$10-15), but the selection is limited to Wing and Unicorn.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

Zeether posted:

Someone found out that Barnes & Noble is selling Gunpla:

Whoa, that's awesome! While I doubt that Gunpla would/should be available at every single B&N, I wonder how many stores carry them. I'd love to walk into one and on the rare occasion find the exact kit I was looking for. :swoon:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GFBeach posted:

Whoa, that's awesome! While I doubt that Gunpla would/should be available at every single B&N, I wonder how many stores carry them. I'd love to walk into one and on the rare occasion find the exact kit I was looking for. :swoon:

Supposedly it's a pretty wide rollout. A friend of a friend was contracted by Bluefin to build 20 HGUC Sinanjus for display at BN stores and she said she wasn't the only one to get that request.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So if you thought that the Build Strike, the protagonist suit in a show focusing on model kits, would get a brand new mold and not just be a slightly modified HG Strike,

then sucks to be you, it's sticker time. :unsmigghh:

Also HG G-Savior is getting re-issued next January.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

well this kit is going to be fun

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
WTF? Is that a stencil or are is it an empty sheet of decals?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Waterslides for a Kotobukiya SU-37UB.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Having googled it I'd be inclined to say "gently caress it" and paint it by hand.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

BlitzBlast posted:

then sucks to be you, it's sticker time. :unsmigghh:

Bandai was showing this comparison of it to the RG Strike and what they said was HG strike, but is the one on the left actually the first grade? I thought both releases of the HG had the vertical torso thingamadoos molded in gray. Regardless, it looks like a decent amount of remolding was done.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Having googled it I'd be inclined to say "gently caress it" and paint it by hand.

That sort of patterning is why God made airbrushes.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
There's no god in this house son. You can airbrush with the best or waterslide with the rest.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

SpikeMcclane posted:

Bandai was showing this comparison of it to the RG Strike and what they said was HG strike, but is the one on the left actually the first grade?

Nah, that's the old HG Strike alright. Seeing that comparison makes the sticker sheet even more baffling to me though; not counting the v-fin the design only has five colors. I could understand making the red and blue parts stickers, but why so many white stickers?

Are they trying to recreate the Seed line's ridiculous amount of missing colors?

EDIT: V Let's be honest, masking in general is pretty masochistic.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 5, 2013

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.
Masking splinter camo is for masochists.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't even know how well waterslides fit around angles. This'll be a learning experience.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
I've really never noticed trouble with decals on angles. As the decal dries it gets sucked onto the surface, so it's not really an issue, especially if you use a setter like micro sol that softens the decal to make it stick even better.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

Nah, that's the old HG Strike alright. Seeing that comparison makes the sticker sheet even more baffling to me though; not counting the v-fin the design only has five colors. I could understand making the red and blue parts stickers, but why so many white stickers?

A lot of those white stickers are for the Build Striker pack, which is all molded in blue.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 5, 2013

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

This is pretty much my childhood here, that green thing I'll paint up fairly soon. Plum looks to be one of the coolest companies as they're making alot of things that people have wanted for years but never thought would happen. Especially with them making a proper Power Doll kit of all things. Maybe they'll take on Gungriffon next, seeing as they seem to be following stuff from the game robot gashapon toys from last year.

also a bunch of dorks with a Dorkas.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 5, 2013

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

I just finished painting my first gunpla kit and I'm looking for some advice on paints. I used acrylic Testor on my kit and I had some issues with several of my paints being too watery. In particular, my white paint was so thin that it took something like 15-20 coats to cover a piece of blue plastic. Is there a better brand I should try or did I just get a bad batch? Also, can someone recommend a durable top coat? I used two coats of an enamel matt spray on top of my acrylic but my paint was still scratching as I assembled the kit, even though I was trying to be careful.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Painting over dark colors with white is always going to take a lot unless you prime first. Acrylic also tends to scratch pretty easily, especially if you don't give it the full week or so to fully cure.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Of the three types of paint (acrylics, enamels, and lacquers) acrylics are the most prone to scratching. I've found if I leave the paint to cure on the magnitude of weeks to months the acrylic will be less prone to scratch, but I've never been able to avoid some scratching, especially in places likes joints. It's just part of using the paint and the trade-off you get for how much cleaner acrylics are than enamels or lacquers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Pure white paint tends not to be very opaque, so dark plastics will need a light grey or white primer beforehand. Primer may help with your paint-chipping issues as well.

Also, paint has to cure for a while after it's dry to the touch in order to achieve full hardness, but the fact is that acrylics just aren't very durable.

edit: little slow on the draw there, Tex.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 5, 2013

• Locked thread