Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
They should call it the Tennesse Edition and offer it exclusively in baby blue and white. They should make it have a lot of potential but be absolute garbage year after year.

I actually think it's going to be awesome, especially if it's an option on the Pro-4x package. I'd probably buy one.

Franco Caution posted:

If this could be had in a stick, this changes my future vehicle plans significantly.
I was under the assumption only the smaller(not really) trucks like Tacoma and Frontier were the last that could be had with a stick.

It's auto-only. The Tremor is basically a regular cab FX-4/FX-2 with an Ecoboost.

As far as I know the only truck you can buy with a stick besides a Tacoma/Frontier is a Ram 3500. The FX4 F150 has a console shift that has a triptonic but it's not the same.

Samu fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Speaking of sticks, I read that 38% of new Corvettes are sold with the 7 speed manual. I'm sure those numbers won't be representative of units sold going forward, as the enthusiasts are more likely to get the first wave, but it's still the highest of any GM vehicle apparently. My neighbor saw some new ones at a local dealership but of course they had crazy markups. I will continue to save up for a used one in the very distant future.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
There are 3 or 4 Focus STs that I see on the regular in my area and I probably see one or two S2000s a day, so I have some hope for stick shifts "sticking" around.

"Sticking"

Oh, I also drive about 1000 miles/week so I see lots of cars :(

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I do think there will continue to be a place for stick shift on small two-seaters and hot hatches, but don't hold your breath on anything else.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

That ship already sailed when the first 335i came out and all the BMW forums went from "Bleep bloop the razor sharp throttle response of the naturally aspirated inline six engine is what gives" to "YEAH BRO DROP A DINAN CHIP IN THEIR AND GET 400 TO THE WHEELS".

So I guess the X5/6M aren't real M cars then.

I kind of question how much the E63 or RS6 actually competes with the M5. How many E63s do they sell every year? I'm almost certain the BMW M cars sell significantly more, so why does BMW want to be more like MB or Audi instead of the other way around? You would think they would keep doing what they were doing because it's working pretty well. An AWD M5 would make about as much sense as an AWD Corvette. Maybe it will be faster but it's sort of missing the point.

Based on the sniveling I read through on the 5 series boards, the current 550/M5 owners are jealous of the Porsche Panamera and AWD, especially on the East Coast and are screaming for AWD in M's. Some guys are buying 550Xi's but really wanting AWD M5's.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 4, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Steve French posted:

I don't know specific sales numbers, but at least where I live (SF Bay area) I feel like I see far more E63s than M5s. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I saw roughly as many E63 *wagons* as M5s (though I'm sure that's specific to my area). I've also seen (potentially bogus) data that indicates that the E class as a whole sells significantly more than the 5 series. Does anyone have actual numbers on that?

Looking at numbers this year they seem to be about neck to neck if you count 5/6 series together, since the E-class numbers also includes the coupe and cab. The number of recent M5 vs E63 might be a bit off since the M5 was discontinued for a number of years between the E60 and the F10 and the new one had just come out. I'm surprised they are so close though since I always sort of think the 5 series is a bigger seller.

There's no way C-class/A4 sales are anywhere near 3 series sales though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I figure BMW is targeting the rich snow belters and figure they can grab a few hundred sales from MB and Audi while shoring up the reputation if the M brand. It's not lie they lack resources at this point.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Some C7s have already shitted their transmissions. From what I've gathered, it may be a dealer problem where the differential isn't being filled with fluid, as the new Corvette has separate reservoirs for the diff and the axles. It would be very sad if the launch of GM's best car to date was ruined by second-hand fuckups, but I'm hopingsure they already have people have working on the issue.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The new Escalade interior.

Well it's nice to know that they've still got lots of those circa 1998 GMT400 column shift levers stocked up.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Tekne posted:

Some C7s have already shitted their transmissions. From what I've gathered, it may be a dealer problem where the differential isn't being filled with fluid, as the new Corvette has separate reservoirs for the diff and the axles. It would be very sad if the launch of GM's best car to date was ruined by second-hand fuckups, but I'm hopingsure they already have people have working on the issue.

poo poo happens. I bet "check if the diff has fluid in it" is in their PDI now.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Thanks to this thread I now know that I can get a fairly well-optioned 4x4 F-150 with a V8 for about the same price as a Tacoma. What the gently caress, Toyota?

And what the gently caress, Nissan? Why don't you make anything that's not an ugly lump of undesirable poo poo or ten years out of date like your awful trucks? Even Honda is making bland, milquetoast cars these days. What happened, Japan, you used to be cool. :(

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Tekne posted:

Not really "shitted their transmissions" if it was the diff. The Vette doesn't have a transaxle just a rear mounted transmission and separate diff.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Keyser S0ze posted:

Based on the sniveling I read through on the 5 series boards, the current 550/M5 owners are jealous of the Porsche Panamera and AWD, especially on the East Coast and are screaming for AWD in M's. Some guys are buying 550Xi's but really wanting AWD M5's.

This entirely why we'll see AWD M cars. Although it's not backed by numbers, I've seen more X5 and X6 M's than new M5 and M6's in the NYC area. Also, plenty of E63 AMGs. M3's still outnumber C63's. I barely see any Audis in the segment though, an occasional S6 or S8 - far more Bentley Continetal GT's - after all, they are AWD.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

The new Escalade interior.

Well it's nice to know that they've still got lots of those circa 1998 GMT400 column shift levers stocked up.

Which frees up space for the center console/cupholders. What's the issue?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

angryhampster posted:

Look at how elegantly Mercedes-Benz does it, then look at that monstrosity again.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

KozmoNaut posted:

Look at how elegantly Mercedes-Benz does it, then look at that monstrosity again.

Exactly. Didn't Lincoln move to a push-button transmission for the new MKS? Something along those lines would have done wonders. I'm sure there's nothing quite like getting into your brand new $60k+ Escalade and seeing parts from a loving Chevy Express.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

angryhampster posted:

It looks horrendous? and there are many, many other ways to pull that off. It's not like there is mechanical linkage there that needs leverage to overcome. Its a drat electronic switch.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
It is the Escalade we're talking about here, most of the people who buy one will refer to it as a truck, and that's certainly a truck style shift lever.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
the best part is that, at least on previous models, thieves were knocking the shifter out of position and rolling them onto flatbeds. GM assumed their security system was so good they didn't need whatever security mechanism keeps that from happening on other vehicles. They were wrong and refuse to admit its a problem.

Also the rear opening window is secured by a clasp thats unalarmed and easily compromised so it takes about 5 seconds to get into the vehicle completely undetected. Combine that with easily removable rear seats that sell for like 3g a pop and its pretty much a rolling ATM.

It will be interesting to see if the new escalade is more secure, its really pretty ridiculous.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

angryhampster posted:

You need to free up space...in one of the largest passenger vehicles on the planet...

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

MrChips posted:

You need to free up space...in one of the largest passenger vehicles on the planet...

No matter how big the vehicle is, only a very small area is accessible to the driver while driving. There could be 37 cupholders in the back but that doesn't help the driver one bit if there was no console space to put one in arm's reach.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

lazer_chicken posted:

No matter how big the vehicle is, only a very small area is accessible to the driver while driving. There could be 37 cupholders in the back but that doesn't help the driver one bit if there was no console space to put one in arm's reach.

You could fit 37 cup holders in that center console alone.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Linedance posted:

You could fit 37 cup holders in that center console alone.

Nuh uh! Not if they're this big:

Hell, I bet you'd have trouble fitting 3 of those in there.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

lazer_chicken posted:

Not could but should be 37 cupholders in the back. I always thought that buying an Escalade was an intentional trade off of build quality, interior materials quality, and ride for raw American size and towing ability.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Weinertron posted:

I always thought that buying an Escalade was an intentional trade off of build quality, interior materials quality, and ride for raw American size and towing ability.

If that's what you want then why not buy one of the less ridiculous versions on the same platform?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

If you put the shifter on the console it'll interfere with the ashtray, cupholders (which are heated and cooled on the Platinum trim), and center console that has enough room for a six-pack, several guns, and a fuckload of drugs baby food.

With the shifter up next to the wheel, it doesn't get in your way as you guzzle down gallons of starbucks and try to set texting-per-minute records as you leave a trail of destruction wherever you go.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

dissss posted:

If that's what you want then why not buy one of the less ridiculous versions on the same platform?

The difference between a GMC Yukon buyer and an Escalade buyer is a few inches.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

"Probably, I'm busy" Mayor Ford said later when asked if he was reading while driving on the expressway.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
Apparently the GM SUVs are getting a new transmission later. They probably couldn't be bothered to redesign the shift mechanism for the current transmission since it'll only be around for a year.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Seat Safety Switch posted:

poo poo happens. I bet "check if the diff has fluid in it" is in their PDI now.

The Corvette diff is some whiz bang electronic locking thing now isn't it? Could be more than just fluid.

dissss posted:

The Escalade has a different engine (bigger, alloy block, VVT) which meant more towing capacity, magnetic shocks, more interior features, a longer warranty (compared to the Chevy, GMC warranty is the same I think) and at the end of the day it wasn't actually *that* much more expensive than its platform mates. Posters on this forum want to think that every owner of a particularly representative car (Escalade, Prius, Hummer) must all be some kind of rolling stereotype when most Escalade and Hummer owners that I've met are simply older people who are actually quite knowledgable about their vehicles (it's not a small or insignificant purchase for most) and can give you a perfectly reasonable explanation for why they bought it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Throatwarbler posted:

The Escalade has a different engine (bigger, alloy block, VVT) which meant more towing capacity, magnetic shocks, more interior features, a longer warranty (compared to the Chevy, GMC warranty is the same I think) and at the end of the day it wasn't actually *that* much more expensive than its platform mates. Posters on this forum want to think that every owner of a particularly representative car (Escalade, Prius, Hummer) must all be some kind of rolling stereotype when most Escalade and Hummer owners that I've met are simply older people who are actually quite knowledgable about their vehicles (it's not a small or insignificant purchase for most) and can give you a perfectly reasonable explanation for why they bought it.

According to the respective websites a 2wd Tahoe can tow 8500lbs, a 2wd Escalade 8300lbs (the 4wds are less)

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN

Samu posted:

As far as I know the only truck you can buy with a stick besides a Tacoma/Frontier is a Ram 3500. The FX4 F150 has a console shift that has a triptonic but it's not the same.

I read a line in the current Motor Trend that the Frontier was one of only two trucks for sale in the US with an available manual. I assume the other one is the Tacoma.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I do think there will continue to be a place for stick shift on small two-seaters and hot hatches, but don't hold your breath on anything else.

And, you know, every other car market in the world. The stick is only going dying out in USA market and the Canada Annex to the USA market where they get to buy whatever we want for 150% of our price.

In places where cars are still allowed to be utilitarian, sticks will always be common. There's no way around the fact that a properly-driven manual is less expensive up front and more reliable than anything else in production. It's got a pretty strong claim to giving the most for the least and that's important on a lot of the cheap cars we don't see in USA market but are plentiful elsewhere.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You can still get the cummins ram with a 6 speed stick, but that limits the output to 350hp/660 ft/lbs, compared to the 370/800 with the regular automatic, and 385/850 with the aisin automatic.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Vigo327 posted:

I read a line in the current Motor Trend that the Frontier was one of only two trucks for sale in the US with an available manual. I assume the other one is the Tacoma.

And, you know, every other car market in the world. The stick is only going dying out in USA market and the Canada Annex to the USA market where they get to buy whatever we want for 150% of our price.

In places where cars are still allowed to be utilitarian, sticks will always be common. There's no way around the fact that a properly-driven manual is less expensive up front and more reliable than anything else in production. It's got a pretty strong claim to giving the most for the least and that's important on a lot of the cheap cars we don't see in USA market but are plentiful elsewhere.

"Allowed to be utilitarian" what in the gently caress are you talking about?

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Throatwarbler posted:

The Corvette diff is some whiz bang electronic locking thing now isn't it? Could be more than just fluid.

A different engine? Please clarify?

For this generation and the last generation the Escalades get the same 6.2L V8 that is available in the GMC and Chevy trucks. I know for a fact as I have the same alloy, VVT 6.2L in my 2009 Silverado that was available in the GMT-900 Cadillacs. For the current generation, the engine is only available on the top trim LTZ and SLT GMC's and Chevy's, but it's still available.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 5, 2013

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Powershift posted:

You can still get the cummins ram with a 6 speed stick, but that limits the output to 350hp/660 ft/lbs, compared to the 370/800 with the regular automatic, and 385/850 with the aisin automatic.

The 3500 has a stick standard for the 5.7 gas and the 6.7 cummins.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Wheeee posted:

The difference between a GMC Yukon buyer and an Escalade buyer is a few inches.

Shaq has more than a few inches on most Dallasites.

E: wait, were you making a black guys have big dicks joke too?

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 5, 2013

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

OrganizedEntropy posted:

A different engine? Please clarify?

For this generation and the last generation the Escalades get the same 6.2L V8 that is available in the GMC and Chevy trucks. I know for a fact as I have the same alloy, VVT 6.2L in my 2009 Silverado that was available in the GMT-900 Cadillacs. For the current generation, the engine is only available on the top trim LTZ and SLT GMC's and Chevy's, but it's still available.

I admit that I didn't know the L92 was available in as many things as it is, maybe people don't buy them configured that way most of the time? Usually I see the 6.0L iron block motor when someone has something bigger than the 5.3.

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

"Allowed to be utilitarian" what in the gently caress are you talking about?

I was trying to save a lot of typing by alluding to something i thought was obvious. You CANNOT buy in the USA/Canada, a new car as basic as what is available almost everywhere else in the world.

You can't even buy a car that DOESNT have stability control. Base models of today are contented like mid and sometimes upper-level vehicles of 20 years ago. A new Dodge Dart has WAY more stuff that isn't strictly necessary in a car, than the most expensive cadillac you could buy in 1982.

It is still possible to buy no-frills transportation appliances in other parts of the world. In those places, manuals are still strong sellers. The perpetual talk about the extinction of the manual is usually from a USA-centric point of view and assumes that everywhere else is either the same as us, or for all intents and purposes doesn't exist.

Vigo327 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Manuals are dying out in Australia as well. Most SUVs are auto only here. However most utes still have manual as the standard box and auto as an option