Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
It's a good thing people who say "read the koran and see for yourself" have read it themselves. And the bible, for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Maybe I'm just a weird Jew but I feel a lot less disrespected by the Muslims halfway around the world than by the evangelicals here at home who keep bleating that this is a Christian nation.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

TerminalSaint posted:

It's a good thing people who say "read the koran and see for yourself" have read it themselves. And the bible, for that matter.

The New Testament is in fact pretty light on violence and calls for violence. That's the usual defense of guys like that when you call them on it. The problem is they almost always hold Old Testament-only positions.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

VideoTapir posted:

The New Testament is in fact pretty light on violence and calls for violence. That's the usual defense of guys like that when you call them on it. The problem is they almost always hold Old Testament-only positions.
Well, you can just point out the 30 Years` War, or maybe the big Mormon War in Utah, or any other kind of Christian-on-Christian violence, of which there are many instances, and in which it would be hard even for the most hard-headed of revisionists to blame Jews or Muslims or whatnot.

"Religion of God's Love? More like God's love for violence!" :smugbert:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Well, you can just point out the 30 Years` War, or maybe the big Mormon War in Utah, or any other kind of Christian-on-Christian violence, of which there are many instances, and in which it would be hard even for the most hard-headed of revisionists to blame Jews or Muslims or whatnot.

"Religion of God's Love? More like God's love for violence!" :smugbert:
You're just going to look like an idiot if you try to go all "you too" by pointing to conflicts that occurred literally centuries ago.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

You're just going to look like an idiot if you try to go all "you too" by pointing to conflicts that occurred literally centuries ago.

Yeah, I would just challenge him to actually get a Koran and find the "war-mongering" parts of it. Not say "lol Christians suck too."

Those arguments never get anywhere.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Strudel Man posted:

Fine, is God's Army better? Honestly, these people are pointing you to specific literal readings of the Koran, a work written more than a thousand years ago, it's not like there are any reasonable historical standards that they can stand on.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Forget God's army. Try the US Army. How many civilians dead because of our intervention in Iraq?

But greatn, you say, that isn't Christian violence. That is violence of a nation.

I thought you said this was a Christian nation? :smuggo:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

greatn posted:

Forget God's army. Try the US Army. How many civilians dead because of our intervention in Iraq?

But greatn, you say, that isn't Christian violence. That is violence of a nation.

:golfclap:

Now that we've settled that, I have a question: I've given up on arguing with that Israeli font of Fox News talking points I mentioned earlier, but one thing that came up kind of gave me pause; I started out by saying that lack of foodstamps will cause starvation, and was asked to cite it. Not only was I simply not able to find any mention online of deaths due to lack of foodstamps, googling for starvation during the Depression led me to this study, which seems to suggest that mortality actually decreased during the Great Depression. It is really troubling and can easily be used as an argument against government benefits, so I need to know whether it's right, in which case I will have to start riding the libertarian crazy train, or whether I/they are missing something fundamental, which is probably far more likely.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

greatn posted:

This, too, is kind of undermined by the fact that we bear direct responsibility for a distinct minority of the deaths, in addition to being (slightly) beaten just by the known insurgent killings of civilians.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:golfclap:

Now that we've settled that, I have a question: I've given up on arguing with that Israeli font of Fox News talking points I mentioned earlier, but one thing that came up kind of gave me pause; I started out by saying that lack of foodstamps will cause starvation, and was asked to cite it. Not only was I simply not able to find any mention online of deaths due to lack of foodstamps, googling for starvation during the Depression led me to this study, which seems to suggest that mortality actually decreased during the Great Depression. It is really troubling and can easily be used as an argument against government benefits, so I need to know whether it's right, in which case I will have to start riding the libertarian crazy train, or whether I/they are missing something fundamental, which is probably far more likely.

Here's my amateur crack at explaining one small portion of this phenomenon:

That study posted:

Of six causes of death that compose about two-thirds of total mortality in the 1930s (Fig. 4), only suicides increased during the Great Depression. Suicide mortality peaked with unemployment, in the most recessionary years, 1921, 1932, and 1938. After increasing during the 1920s, mortality due to cardiovascular/renal diseases stabilized in 1930–1932. Tuberculosis mortality had decreased sharply during the 1920s and continued its decline through the 1930s. However, over and above these trends, both cardiovascular and tuberculosis mortality reveal peaks in 1926, 1928, and especially 1936, coinciding with economic expansions. Mortality due to flu/pneumonia was lower during the 1930s than during the late 1920s.

Perhaps cardiovascular diseases stabilized because people were eating less? I know there weren't Big Macs in the 30s, but it's easier to avoid a heart attack if all you can't afford a diet heavy in meat and cheese. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to find that the transmission rate of communicable diseases such as TB and the flu dropped as unemployment rose and people were less likely to be in close quarters in the workplace. Of course, transmission rates do not necessarily equal mortality rates, which is what this study measures. This is all speculation on my part.

You could also try to find data on malnutrition. I.e. maybe people didn't starve during the Great Depression, but a lot more of them ended up not getting essential nutrients? I dunno.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Not a massive nest of crazy, but I got a kick out of this one.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Brawnfire posted:

It is always pretty funny how, when it comes to politics, people always get so worked up over the most harmless of fluff pieces.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Wanamingo posted:

It is always pretty funny how, when it comes to politics, people always get so worked up over the most harmless of fluff pieces.

The Kim Jong Il references are gonna be nonstop if Obama ever makes a hole in one while golfing

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Didn't a lot of the deaths during the Great Depression go unreported? Also if people didn't need food stamps they wouldn't be commonly used. If the person you're arguing with tries to claim that this is a mass exploitation of the system by those dirty poors to get booze/drugs/HDTV money, then you shift the onus on them to back up their claim.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wanamingo posted:

The "Eda Torial" guy is a laugh riot all on his own. He apparently owns a local insurance business. He's spent several replies telling me to "find a barber and a razor" and to "go find a job" to find a way to "become important" and "serve my fellow man" and "go become a man."

Which is hilarious, because he knows nothing about me or what I do, he's a fat douchebag with one of those buzz-cuts that gets all white above the ears, and his main photo is of him with two half-dressed girls at some motorcycle convention. I politely reminded him that, "with as douchebaggy a profile picture as yours, you may want to back off the ad hominem attacks."

I really don't know why he hates beards so much.

Plus, I'm sure that if I told him my main "job/way to be 'important'/serving my fellow man" was that I am an artist who does massive amounts of local illustration work, (oftentimes pro-bono for non-profits) he would mock me as not doing something real or important--and his wife owns and runs an art & music education center out of the same place he sells insurance!

Sardine Wit posted:

I like the guy who says there wasn't a baskin and robbins there. Icecreamgate! :getin:

Obama's past has been difficult to stitch together. It had to be exotic enough to make Democrats feel like they were making a difference, but American enough that the majority would vote him in. Difficult to achieve, and some details here-and-there slipped through the cracks. There was no Baskin Robbins. There was no first kiss. Michelle was assigned to Barack when he graduated from Secret Muslim Terrorist Training Camp in Kenya. Together, they are a well-oiled machine, two blades working in unison to whittle away the edifice of American society and leave naught but Gay Shariah in its stead.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 5, 2013

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

I like the guy who says there wasn't a baskin and robbins there. Icecreamgate! :getin:

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
So I made a post on another site and I am not sure I was really justified. I have been so sick and tired of the same old rhetoric being spouted by teabaggers, and I may have lost my cool. Here are the posts:

me, sarcasm mode posted:

Nuance is for liberals. No one else has time for that.

Other dude posted:

That is ridiculous. Liberals, including Obama, expressed concern about America's foreign debt while Bush was in office, only for it to become a non-issue once they had a Democrat in the white house. My political views are center-left, but that doesn't mean I can't be strongly concerned about the health of the U.S. dollar.

me, maybe being an rear end in a top hat posted:

Want to take a guess as to why it isnt an issue now?

When Bush came to office, we werent at war. Not with one country, nor with two. When Bush came to office, we were already enjoying the lowest tax rates seen in a generation. What happened? Two wars (one justified, one not), massive tax cuts (a first in history, not only in America but in the entire world), and an expansion of medicare that made it illegal for the federal government to negotiate drug prices (Medicare part D).

Fast Forward to Obamas first term, there is a massive recession. The government that Obama is a part of has to keep the American economy (let alone the world economy) from collapsing. The groundwork has already been laid by Bush the Lesser (lest we forget, it was under Bush that the bank bailouts were initiated). The rest is mere rote Keynesianism which, until Reagan told everyone they could have their cake and eat it to, was the most practical, the most attested economic model that was known to man. Spend money to increase demand, demand increases the need for jobs, all of a sudden we have the economy back on track (though not as healthy as it would have been had the stimulus been larger and more narrowly focused).

And then here comes the Tea party. Taxed Enough Already. Really? Were these clowns aware that taxes pay for government services that allow our country to continue running smoothly? Were these titans of AstroTurf aware of the fact that they were rubes who were being played by monied interests who had invested in just such a populist uprising through organizations such as ALEC and Fox News? Were these people, who once again decried taxation and spending, in a coma for 8 freaking years?

And on top of all of that they try to wriggle and squirm their way back into responsibility. Trying to force upon themselves the crown of fiscal responsibility. Please. That ploy is as transparent as a sheet of glass.

So dont try to tell me that the tea party (read: astroturf populist wing of the Republican party) cares about nuance when it comes to governance. Their history and rhetoric defies nuance. They are worthy of nothing more than bafflement, laughter, or hostility.

Is it me? Am I the rear end in a top hat?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
When did liberals make a stink about US "foreign debt?"

When he says that, he is thinking that the US owes all its debt to the Chinese government, isn't he?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

VideoTapir posted:

When did liberals make a stink about US "foreign debt?"

When he says that, he is thinking that the US owes all its debt to the Chinese government, isn't he?

Bush was (rightly) criticized from the left for spending a shitload of money on horrible wars, while simultaneously cutting taxes on the rich. Many people pointed to the debt as an indicator that even if you disputed these policies being outright evil, they were still very stupid.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Mornacale posted:

Bush was (rightly) criticized from the left for spending a shitload of money on horrible wars, while simultaneously cutting taxes on the rich. Many people pointed to the debt as an indicator that even if you disputed these policies being outright evil, they were still very stupid.

I was thinking more of the specification that it was foreign debt.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

AShamefulDisplay posted:

So I made a post on another site and I am not sure I was really justified. I have been so sick and tired of the same old rhetoric being spouted by teabaggers, and I may have lost my cool. Here are the posts:

Is it me? Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Nope. You only stated facts and conclusions in a forceful way. You were rude to the tea party, and they asked for it and should be able to take it.

The Tea Party stuff might be a little tangential, but that depends on what this guy said before.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I know it gets requested repeatedly, but does anyone have that rundown of Ron Paul and all the dumb things he wants?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I think you're looking for the Paulbomb

http://pastebin.com/92H9qZP2

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
See, I knew it was called something dumb like that. Thanks.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Soviet Commubot posted:

I think you're looking for the Paulbomb

http://pastebin.com/92H9qZP2

Somebody needs to make something like this for all of the bad things Republicans are responsible for over the last 20 years and all of the good things they have killed, or have tried to.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tomahawk posted:

Somebody needs to make something like this for all of the bad things Republicans are responsible for over the last 20 years and all of the good things they have killed, or have tried to.

I'm pretty sure even Pastebin has an upload limit.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Ah, Grandpa.

quote:

AINT NO MUSLIM SO READ ON

It’s OK to make jokes about Catholics, the Pope, Jews, the Irish, the Italians, the Polish, etc,
but it is insensitive to make jokes about Muslims.

The sooner we are all on the same level playing field the better.

Jeff Foxworthy on Muslims:

1. If you refine heroin for a living,
but you have a moral objection to liquor,
You may be a Muslim.

2. If you own a $3,000 machine gun and a $5,000 rocket launcher,
but you can't afford shoes,
You may be a Muslim.

3. If you have more wives than teeth,
You may be a Muslim.

4. If you wipe your butt with your bare hand
but consider bacon to be unclean,
You may be a Muslim.

5. If you think vests come in two styles:
Bullet-proof and suicide.
You may be a Muslim

6. If you can't think of anyone
you haven't declared jihad against,
You may be a Muslim.

7. If you consider television dangerous,
but routinely carry explosives in your clothing,
You may be a Muslim.

8. If you were amazed to discover that cell phones
have uses other than setting off roadside bombs,
You may be a Muslim.

9. If you have nothing against women
and think every man should own at least four,
You may be a Muslim.

10. If you find this offensive or racist and don't forward it,
You may be a Muslim.

There was also the infamous suicide bomber class cartoon at the bottom. It's hard to pick the best part, but I think I'm going to go with the opening because I can hear my grandmother saying "No, it's not okay to make those kinds of jokes, I've been trying to tell you that for sixty years!"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I was unaware the Koran had a passage about getting offended at racist and unfunny jokes to join them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pretty sure it isn't okay to make jokes about those other groups too.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Brennanite posted:

Ah, Grandpa.

There was also the infamous suicide bomber class cartoon at the bottom. It's hard to pick the best part, but I think I'm going to go with the opening because I can hear my grandmother saying "No, it's not okay to make those kinds of jokes, I've been trying to tell you that for sixty years!"
Most of those "jokes" hinge on the audience being ignorant enough to assume that all Muslims ever are some kind of stereotype of Afghani terrorists, and generally horrible enough to try to victim blame an entire culture that's been screwed over by the Western powers for decades if not centuries. Like, hey, if people can't afford toilet paper and are resorting to growing heroin to get by, maybe it's a product of circumstances and nothing to do with a cultural or religious deficiency.

People do sometimes make jokes at Christians' expense, but, oddly enough, not on the level of painting them as murderous, poo poo-stained barbarians.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
I spent the entire night leading up to the shutdown drinking and screaming at my computer monitor as I watched the congress gently caress around on C-SPAN. Then I get this poo poo, from fellow federal employees.

Cliff Diver is an avowed creationist who left this lovely tome in the breakroom in the hopes of winning new converts.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I like to think the Obama comparison to Reagan and the comment about how Nixon would be a RINO by conservative standards totally broke his brain, which is why his last response is a really formal way of saying "lol agree to disagree, scary if you think about it!!".

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

miscellaneous14 posted:

I like to think the Obama comparison to Reagan and the comment about how Nixon would be a RINO by conservative standards totally broke his brain, which is why his last response is a really formal way of saying "lol agree to disagree, scary if you think about it!!".

Nate Silver, of course, addressed the rightwards shift of the GOP once, and in doing so created this pretty great chart:

(from here)

It does a pretty good job of showing how even arch-Republicans from the past tend to be significantly less conservative than the GOP today.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Sardine Wit posted:

Everyone knows lizard people don't eat ice cream. The combination of sugar and dairy is difficult for their reptilian stomachs to digest.

This is it. I've found how to effectively counter these people.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
When I talk to someone who believes in all that crazy stuff I try to stick extra conspiracies on them too.

Like if someone is complaining about agenda 21, I say something like "What's more likely, A: The UN honestly cares about sustainable growth and renewable energy or B: Reptoids have managed to bypass the HAARP shield and are now using the UN as their newest plan to trick us into drinking fluoride."

EDIT:
One thing that's just fun is to make para-paranormal statements, i.e., statements about their conspiracy theories that are outside the accepted canon among conspiracy theorists. HAARP as a defensive weapon against paranormal forces; chemtrail and fluoride prevent us from being able to contact ghosts; JFK faked his death and had his "Assassin" killed to keep it secret; etc.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 6, 2013

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
My friend, the super compassionate, kindest, smartest person I know that is also, somehow, a full on free market libertarian, posted something about the Tea Party not being terrorists because they are not holding literal guns to literal people.

I am Black, he is Blue. Pink and Red and immaterial to the discussion.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I guess he's technically right, it is absolutely within their constitutional powers to crash our economy.

If legal=moral to him then I guess there's nothing to discuss.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I guess he's technically right, it is absolutely within their constitutional powers to crash our economy.

It always is for libertarians. Except when an "urban" type has their conviction overturned because they got the poo poo beaten out of them until they confessed. Then it's "a technicality getting in the way of justice."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW THE RULES THAT'S WHY RULES ARE MADE!!

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS