Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

mechanicalFactory posted:

Anyone know if the Moss Hornet in hardcore underground dungeons drop Bezoar?

The wiki says they only drop feathers on a .67% rate. Here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Hihohe posted:

poo poo! I just started playing the patch! How do ramps! How do Waterfalls! How... just how do anything!
Hammer for making slopes. I don't know how to make waterfalls, though.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Nahxela posted:

Hammer for making slopes. I don't know how to make waterfalls, though.

Also hammer. Plop down water and hammer a half-block next to it.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
So I just got into hardmode after my 5th try [decided to stop being lazy and make flat areas to run on while shooting at that dumb wall.] What should be my first order of business now?

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Tamayachi posted:

What's great about it too is that it sends the health to the lowest health member of the group, so while my buddy is playing his mage with full Spectre and the Fireball Pitchfork thingie, I get sweet heals as a melee character wading through the fire skeletons in the hardmode dungeon.

Last night I was playing with two friends and we each got the spectre set + Mana flowers. We were able to easily defeat every hardmode boss without even moving. The Ragged Caster homing souls thing is the what I keep coming back to, but the Shadowbeam staff is the most entertaining light source.

Dizz posted:

So I just got into hardmode after my 5th try [decided to stop being lazy and make flat areas to run on while shooting at that dumb wall.] What should be my first order of business now?

If you have Crimson, probably the easiest way to get endgameish gear is gather 30 Ichor, make a golden shower, and grind the dungeon for Ectoplasm. If you have Demon Scythe or a flail you could build a tower to the sky and kill some Wyverns for a pair of wings.

Lhet fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 5, 2013

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Get cobalt ore. It will save your life.

Edit: @ Dizz

Edit2: I'm dumb and should probably add that you should smash demon altars with your new pwnhammer to make the ore spawn in the first place.

MR. J fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 5, 2013

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012
My house is terrible, is it a good idea to make a new world and build a better house before starting hardmode?
Is there an endgame version of the crimson biome?
Can you make living wood furniture? I have a staff that can place living wood by using regular wood, but breaking it just gives me normal wood.

Doctor Doodler fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 5, 2013

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Doctor Doodler posted:

My house is terrible, is it a good idea to make a new world and build a better house before starting hardmode?
Is there an endgame version of the crimson biome?

There's endgame enemies in crimson, including assholes that can halve your defense and deal 70+ damage to you.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Doctor Doodler posted:

Can you make living wood furniture? I have a staff that can place living wood by using regular wood, but breaking it just gives me normal wood.

I don't think you can make it, as living wood just mines to regular wood like you said. If you find a giant tree with an underground room, you can get at least one living wood door and table and two living wood chairs.

E: Three ice chests, three ice boomerangs. Come on RNG, that's some bullshit.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Last Night I spent my time building new biomes and using Tedit to search them for crimson/pyramids (It hasn't updated, so just look for the big pink triangle), when I got an interesting seed:

A pyramid that opens up into a hive. :getin:

Also, I am now rocking a Pharaoh set, Angel Wings and a Strong Dao of Pow. I am a God Of Destruction, Egyptians! Fear me!

On that note: How do I make the new wing types? I've been looking around the wikis, but I can't find a solid recipe.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

J.A.B.C. posted:

Last Night I spent my time building new biomes and using Tedit to search them for crimson/pyramids (It hasn't updated, so just look for the big pink triangle), when I got an interesting seed:

Also, I am now rocking a Pharaoh set, Angel Wings and a Strong Dao of Pow. I am a God Of Destruction, Egyptians! Fear me!

On that note: How do I make the new wing types? I've been looking around the wikis, but I can't find a solid recipe.
I killed a million billion harpies while building my skybridge to look for floating islands before hard mode, and one of them dropped a giant harpey feather which made harpy wings. I think the rest of the new ones are all the like that with other sources except for the ghost wings you make out of ectoplasm.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

J.A.B.C. posted:

Wings are almost always a bunch of soul of flight and whatever other material is relevant, assembled at either a mythril anvil or a workbench. Give the guide a soul of flight for more details.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Shukaro posted:

Here are the two AHK macros I use for terraria:
code:
F12::
WinGet, WindowID, ID, A
WinSet, Style, -0xC40000, ahk_id %WindowID%
WinMove, ahk_id %WindowID%, , 0, 0, A_ScreenWidth, A_ScreenHeight
return

XButton1::
    While GetKeyState("XButton1", "P")
    {
        Click
        Sleep 10
    }
return
The first snippet will resize + deborder a window with F12 and the second will left click while the side button is held. Has saved me a fuckton of clicking.

Can you make it so hitting F12 toggle the resize + deborder? This is a great script otherwise.

VVV They spawn in the Hollowed biome while raining I believe.

Robzilla fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Oct 5, 2013

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone know in which biome Rainbow Slimes can spawn? I got a couple in a hallowed forest, but I can't seem to spawn any more when I go back there.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone know in which biome Rainbow Slimes can spawn? I got a couple in a hallowed forest, but I can't seem to spawn any more when I go back there.

Hallowed landscape during Rain.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
How do you actually get to the final room in the jungle temple? There's a wall blocking my way that I can't get past. I have unlocked the dungeon itself, just to be clear.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How does multiplayer in this game compare to Minecraft? Is there room for people who just want to work on megaprojects? Does hard mode make life impossible for newbies to the server? How often will we want to generate a new map?

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012

QuantaStarFire posted:

How does multiplayer in this game compare to Minecraft? Is there room for people who just want to work on megaprojects? Does hard mode make life impossible for newbies to the server? How often will we want to generate a new map?

Hard mode will lead to most newbies getting killed as soon as they leave the spawn, and you'll want to generate a new map when the current one is filled with holes or cluttered with buildings.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

No, not the bees! NOT THE BEES AARRGH!

(Yes, the bees. Yes, all the bees. :getin:)

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Dareon posted:

No, not the bees! NOT THE BEES AARRGH!

(Yes, the bees. Yes, all the bees. :getin:)

Even better: Getting the bee gun and honeycomb items from the Queen Bee once she falls. Then going to another hive, and killing the Queen Bee with bee weapons and a bee auto-counter.

NOT THE BEES, indeed.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I find it interesting to compare how the 1.2 patch and the Red Cloud mod dealt with the underpowered end-game melee. 1.2 made melee effectively magic at the end tiers, except it comes out of a sword that can hit people instead of a book or wand. Red Cloud, on the other hand, had melee weapons be just melee weapons, but gave melee armor sets massive potential boosts to defense to compensate for the lack of range.

I also like how both end-game ideas had very different directions for magic to go in. I can't wait until the eventual day when we get a Red Cloud mod that's compatible with 1.2. So many spells. SO MANY SPELLS.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Jesus christ eclipses are no joke. I had to have died like ten times to draculas humping my butt.

I got into a part of my based that the reapers could get into but nothing else but didn't get a scythe :(

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

QuantaStarFire posted:

Hard makes it almost impossible for new players unless those new players are having items equivalent to the higher tier pre-hardmode gear given to them to get them started.

You'll go through maps based on hitting one or more of these criteria:
  • People not having any more chests to loot(usually means there is no more exploring to be done)
  • The map has been turned into a giant crater or otherwise terraformed until it's no longer interesting
  • You've built everything you care to build without sticking a dozen different player's megastructures next-door to eathother

Because characters are separate from the world you can do stuff like just generating a new world without people having to start working for gear again, which is pretty significant since it requires much more effort to get gear compared to minecraft(though you also don't lose it like in minecraft). The content of a player's private storage(piggybank and the safe) are also tied to their character file, so they don't even need to try to fit all of their goodies on their person before swapping to a new world.

Megaprojects are something the game accomodates pretty well, with large worlds being about 8,000 blocks across there is plenty of space to do whatever you want in, hell there was a guy who made a 1400' goku if that's the sort of scale you wanted to go for. You'd still have to deal with monsters, but if you're just looking to (mine? and) build you can do that without any hassle, just avoid killing the boss in hell and you'll only have to deal with monsters you can basically handle with the game's starting equipment.

I don't know what sort of setup you're planning to have for hosting this with your friends, but you could try just running two instances of the server on different ports, keeping one world as a non-hardmode world and another with the regular progression into hardmode and regular generation of a new world on the latter server.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Ignimbrite posted:

Jesus christ eclipses are no joke. I had to have died like ten times to draculas humping my butt.

I got into a part of my based that the reapers could get into but nothing else but didn't get a scythe :(

This turns all events into a joke:

Of course I am omitting the fact that you have to build underground, but if you're fed up dealing with eclipses, blood moons and invasions and turn them into easy money and item farming, this is the way to go.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Shadowmorn posted:

Fellow Goons, how do you sort your junk?

Because seriously, i need a better system then 4 chests with an item above them on a shelf trying to indicate what type they are. :smithicide:

I'd kill for a sorting system, like modded Minecraft. Something like wiring all the chests together to a Sort-a-Tron and it cleanly stacks everything together.
Don't bother with signs. You have to stop and read them individually. Too slow.

I put two blocks in the floor that represent what's in the storage column above them.

Two copper ore in the floor, thus everything in the column above is related to copper. In the current system, the chest directly on the ore contains the final products - armor, tools, etc. Immediately above, platforms with a chest containing copper ingots. Then a platform holding 2-tall crafting stations (same height as chests - 3-tall stations go elsewhere). Finally a platform and chest containing the actual copper ore. By standing on the crafting platform, I can easily reach all of my materials.
Extend this to cover all your basic ores. You can easily mix originals with alt versions now, since chests have doubled in size.

Extend further to cover Tier 2 stuff. Demonite/MEATMETAL ore indicates Corruption/MEAT materials and items. Jungle indicates Jungle materials and items. Meteor and hellstone for their respective stuff, but this may be unpleasant for unwary guests. Two dungeon blocks indicate dungeon drops and bones - I also include cobwebs since they go into the Necro armor.

This handles hardmode ores nicely, of course. And all your building materials are covered with a simple one-layer version.

For each column, types of storage can show how much the materials have been processed. For instance, ores in barrels, ingots in brown chests, final products in gold chests.

The new biome-specific chests simplify some things even more, since one glance tells you where they're from and what you can expect inside. Not all biomes are covered, so mix up the two systems.

The greatest thing is that unloading is real easy. If you put singles of items into a few unoccupied chest slots, you can just go from chest to chest hitting quick stack instead of inventory hunting.

EDIT: ah, I have found an example

Also shown: pre-1.2 blast shielding, NPC storage, and tree farm organization.
The giant stacks of gold chests at the top was for the mountains of armor, weapons and accessories we accumulated. The tux is cosmetic items, ninja is ranged, shadowscale and wizard cover melee and magic respectively.

Fish Noise fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 5, 2013

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

These vampire knives are kind of overpowered. I fought skeletron prime just standing in one spot (not moving at all) and even without picking up the hearts he drops or using potions, still came out with more health than I started with. I went from dying to plantera in full chlorophyte to coming out of the fight at full health.

Are the other dungeon chest drops so good?

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012
Jesus loving poo poo, the Diamond Staff is incredibly powerful for just some platinum and a few diamonds. Low mana cost, high fire rate, and pretty good damage. It also lights things up, too.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Shadowmorn posted:

Fellow Goons, how do you sort your junk?

Because seriously, i need a better system then 4 chests with an item above them on a shelf trying to indicate what type they are. :smithicide:

I'd kill for a sorting system, like modded Minecraft. Something like wiring all the chests together to a Sort-a-Tron and it cleanly stacks everything together.

I usually use the different types of chests to help label my chests, sometimes I use dolled up mannequins.

This is my current setup for equippables and general non-building blocks.

One chest is dedicated to the ores and bars, another to ranged weapons, another to melee weapons, one for accessories, another for the lovely accessories, one for non-ore materials and boss summon components, and then the last is for hard mode non-ore materials. Just get to grips with grouping items and then doing something to indicate that one chest or group of chests is distinct from the others in some way and then make it as complicated/expansive as you care to make it.

You could try using the statues to mark what's in chests too if you want something that is completely idiotproof.

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012
Tiger climbing gear is like a lovely grappling hook.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Doctor Doodler posted:

Go cave exploring on a new dude with bundles of rope and the tiger climbing gear.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
I need more accessory slots now. So many actually good ones! Now if only that stupid Black Belt would drop...

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Doctor Doodler posted:

It would be a lot better if you could climb up walls without jumping. But as it stands it's just gonna get stuffed in my storage chest and replaced. Probably with Magic Cuffs or something.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I wish wiring up stuff across large distances wasn't such a pain in the rear end. There should be a method to just, I dunno, place Wire Starting Point Item at point A, Wire End Point Item at point B, and the game just fills in the rest for you if you have enough materials/a clear path. It's putting me off creating a teleport network across the places of interest in my world because I don't want to painstakingly spelunk through the underground placing endless wire to hook up to important points. :( Why do teleporters even need wires? 1.2 has a lot of great quality of life upgrades, but still has some dumb busywork poo poo.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I just use paint and biome specific chests to sort my stuff. My yellow chest contains all my hive stuff, my ice chest contains ice stuff, my red chest contains hell stuff, and so on.

At least, in theory. In practice, I'm too lazy to actually sort my items and everything just ends up jumbled. Oh well.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Tarquinn posted:

Of course I am omitting the fact that you have to build underground, but if you're fed up dealing with eclipses, blood moons and invasions and turn them into easy money and item farming, this is the way to go.

Yeah, this is what the part of the base I was in looks like:

So similar concept minus the spiky bits, just that yours is much neater and better set-out than mine, hah. :)

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Ignimbrite posted:

Yeah, this is what the part of the base I was in looks like:

So similar concept minus the spiky bits, just that yours is much neater and better set-out than mine, hah. :)

Where's the lava trap in your setup?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Infinity Gaia posted:

I just use paint and biome specific chests to sort my stuff. My yellow chest contains all my hive stuff, my ice chest contains ice stuff, my red chest contains hell stuff, and so on.

At least, in theory. In practice, I'm too lazy to actually sort my items and everything just ends up jumbled. Oh well.

If you have enough stuff that you need to sort it then you should start throwing stuff out.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Tarquinn posted:

Where's the lava trap in your setup?

Still being generated, I just had all my spare lava buckets dumped into that partition on the right at the time :v: Easier than lugging it up from the deep caverns / hell.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I found the goblin tinkerer and the mechanic in the dungeon just earlier. I spoke with the mechanic, but the tinkerer got turned into a fine paste by spikes and skeletons. I didn't have a room for either of them at the time. Am I going to have to just find them again now that I have the rooms built?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Tarquinn posted:

How does it work? What are those reddish blocks that appear to be the "trap" part? Does all the loot burn up?

• Locked thread