Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

lady flash posted:

We moved into a house built in 1910 and did a quick test from the hardware store first and then contacted the local EPA for a certified lab before we tried to get pregnant. We're safe but thankfully a water system to combat lead is pretty economical if you need it.

Our water tastes like chlorine anyway, ew, so we just went ahead and got a sink filter that reduces lead. I was feeling very un-green buying bottled water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

johnny sack posted:

Today he apparently only cried for about a minute after I left. When I picked him up, I was able to observe him playing outside with one of the staff and the other toddlers. He was participating in their games and having a good time, smiling and playing. As soon as he saw me, he got all worked up and ready to start crying, fully ready to go home.

So it is improving, a little bit more each day.

That sounds like my daughter her first year at day care, when we would pick her up she would be so happy she'd get overwhelmed and start bawling. Really young kids like this don't know how to process a lot of emotion very well so it's apparently just easier to cry. It's not always bad tears, I think.

That being said, we're starting to have tantrum problems with my almost 3 year old daughter. She's not acting out or anything, but if we turn the TV off before she wants or won't give her ice cream/candy for dinner (note these things have never happened, she's just got some serious wishful thinking going on) or something else that she seems to think is totally unfair she just loses it. These are pretty serious tantrums for her, screaming and thrashing, that can carry on for quite a while. We actually haven't had any success waiting her out, will that even work? What are your best dealing with a temper tantrum techniques?

Honestly I'd rather keep them from happening, but short of letting her pass out in front of the TV with a half-eaten pint of ice cream I'm not sure that's realistic.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Maybe not realistic, but it would be an adorable picture.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Any good ideas for what to get my parter who spends all day with our 4 month old boy for her 39th birthday?

She's very hard to buy for. There's two massages a nice dinner already but I want an actual gift too..

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Hobo Erotica posted:

Any good ideas for what to get my parter who spends all day with our 4 month old boy for her 39th birthday?

She's very hard to buy for. There's two massages a nice dinner already but I want an actual gift too..

I'd say something completely unrelated to children, if you hadn't already said you were getting her massages I would have suggested a day out somewhere kind of thing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FordCQC posted:

That sounds like my daughter her first year at day care, when we would pick her up she would be so happy she'd get overwhelmed and start bawling. Really young kids like this don't know how to process a lot of emotion very well so it's apparently just easier to cry. It's not always bad tears, I think.

That being said, we're starting to have tantrum problems with my almost 3 year old daughter. She's not acting out or anything, but if we turn the TV off before she wants or won't give her ice cream/candy for dinner (note these things have never happened, she's just got some serious wishful thinking going on) or something else that she seems to think is totally unfair she just loses it. These are pretty serious tantrums for her, screaming and thrashing, that can carry on for quite a while. We actually haven't had any success waiting her out, will that even work? What are your best dealing with a temper tantrum techniques?

Honestly I'd rather keep them from happening, but short of letting her pass out in front of the TV with a half-eaten pint of ice cream I'm not sure that's realistic.

Three year old being a three year old. You sort of have to beat her in this (as in 'win', rather than violence obv) unfortunately.

I'd try giving her lots of warning before you do things (tv off in five minutes... Two minutes... One minute), and being kind but implacable. Once she's been flipping out for a bit try doing something interesting that doesn't involve her, see if she ends her tantrum early.

But ultimately it's waiting for her to grow out of it :smith:

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Hobo Erotica posted:

A complete day off from the baby is always a huge treat, to me at least. Better than any object you could buy.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

sebmojo posted:

Three year old being a three year old. You sort of have to beat her in this (as in 'win', rather than violence obv) unfortunately.

I'd try giving her lots of warning before you do things (tv off in five minutes... Two minutes... One minute), and being kind but implacable. Once she's been flipping out for a bit try doing something interesting that doesn't involve her, see if she ends her tantrum early.

But ultimately it's waiting for her to grow out of it :smith:

Ok, we have definitely be doing very similar things so far. Was just hoping there was some secret we hadn't discovered yet. Thanks.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Hobo Erotica posted:

Does she have a Kindle? Is there a better/newer one on the market? My dad got me a Kindle for my birthday and it was at the door when we got home from the hospital with my daughter. LIFESAVER. I have kids games on it for when I need 5 minutes to poop, I can watch cartoons or read in the middle of the night, I even have a sleep graphing app on it to keep track of her nighttime waking up. If she does have one maybe a nice cover for it, but that's all I've got right now.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

FordCQC posted:

Yea I think his emotion at pickup time is now super jubilation. Before he was just going with the flow, not crying, but not happy, then let it all out when I picked him up. Now he is enjoying himself more and more each time.

We also have a 3 year old who throws tantrums. Depending on how far her tantrum gets, simply telling her in a firm voice "Stop screaming, that isn't how you get what you want," works, early in a tantrum. Beyond that, it's threatening her with a timeout or to take away whatever toy she covets at that moment. Beyond that is actual timeout. If that still doesn't work, then she goes to her room and stays in bed until she calms down. We learned the hard way that you eventually have to follow through with the threats, or they aren't so threatening. So stick with it if you tell her she's going to get a timeout or whatever if she doesn't calm down.

More than anything, I think it's when she's over-tired or too hungry that the tantrums start.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

FordCQC posted:

Ok, we have definitely be doing very similar things so far. Was just hoping there was some secret we hadn't discovered yet. Thanks.

Someone had told me trying to be understanding during a child's tantrum is the best way to diffuse it. Acknowledge they're upset and why they're upset and explain why they can't have/do the thing they want. Give them a hug if possible.

I use this on my daughter because I was a major tantrum haver as a kid and my parents had no idea how to deal with it, they'd just let me rage for hours at a time in public and walk off. My daughters 14 months and throws some pretty big wobblies if I'm not there to diffuse them, her mother just yells at her to stop because she's being naughty.

We're working on the not yelling at our child thing.

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.

Konomex posted:

Someone had told me trying to be understanding during a child's tantrum is the best way to diffuse it. Acknowledge they're upset and why they're upset and explain why they can't have/do the thing they want. Give them a hug if possible.

I use this on my daughter because I was a major tantrum haver as a kid and my parents had no idea how to deal with it, they'd just let me rage for hours at a time in public and walk off. My daughters 14 months and throws some pretty big wobblies if I'm not there to diffuse them, her mother just yells at her to stop because she's being naughty.

We're working on the not yelling at our child thing.

I've had pretty consistent success with this, although I am a child care worker, not a parent, so I can understand if some parents would rather go the time out route. It can't hurt to set the precedent for "screaming and crying will not get you what you want" early on.

But yeah, 98% of the time, I've been able to diffuse tantrums with just telling the kid what they're probably feeling ("oh no! You really REALLY don't want to put your shoes on. You want to go outside NOW, you have no time for shoes!") And sometimes, depending on the kid, humor can help after I've addressed their feelings. ("Should we put your shoes on your hands instead? How about your bottom?")

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
My 19-month-old has started throwing tantrums, and somehow, counting loudly to five, doing deep breaths, and then asking, "Do you want to try again?" works a lot of the time. I like the idea of the do-over.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Is there anything you can do about a 7 1/2 month old and biting? He really likes leaning down and just barely biting my skin on the top of my boob, he's got five front teeth so it hurts.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lullabee posted:

Is there anything you can do about a 7 1/2 month old and biting? He really likes leaning down and just barely biting my skin on the top of my boob, he's got five front teeth so it hurts.

My s/o pulls our daughter (nearly 7 mos.) away and yells 'OW' when she gets handsy or bitey on the boob. I think the logic is that if she sees that either of these things aren't going to get milk coming out faster they stop. I don't know how well it works though, because it still seems to happen a lot.

obligatory shot of her trying on her new snowsuit in completely inappropriate weather.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 2, 2013

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

The lactation consultant at my hospital recommends pulling the baby in toward you if they bite while nursing. That will get them to stop biting since they'll need to remove themselves to get a breath.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

sheri posted:

The lactation consultant at my hospital recommends pulling the baby in toward you if they bite while nursing. That will get them to stop biting since they'll need to remove themselves to get a breath.

Oh it's not while he's nursing. When I'm holding him. He just leans down and bites. I do what Flashy does (cute kid by the way!) and say ow. He just laughs :sigh: he's been pretty okay with not biting while nursing.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
When our 11 month old bites while nursing he looks up at mama and smiles. If she ignores him he goes back to nursing. If she acknowledges him in anyway he'll probably bite again.

I know you said it's not nursing that's just our experience.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

*Pat voice* Perfect

Lullabee posted:

Oh it's not while he's nursing. When I'm holding him. He just leans down and bites. I do what Flashy does (cute kid by the way!) and say ow. He just laughs :sigh: he's been pretty okay with not biting while nursing.

Babies just don't have empathy, so telling them something hurts really isn't going to make an impression on them. However, if he's smiling after you react, then he is probably doing it for attention. Our speech therapist recommended putting the child down when this happens and turning away from them. Hopefully they associate biting for attention with a negative (but not harmful) result.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

FordCQC posted:

Babies just don't have empathy, so telling them something hurts really isn't going to make an impression on them. However, if he's smiling after you react, then he is probably doing it for attention. Our speech therapist recommended putting the child down when this happens and turning away from them. Hopefully they associate biting for attention with a negative (but not harmful) result.

This was kind of what I was getting at with my suggestion, not that the kid understands that OW=hurt, just that they get startled a bit and create that negative association.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
I say ow mainly because it happens when I'm carrying him from a store or in and out of the car, so I'm distracted and it hurts. I'll try the sitting him down. I think his front tooth (which is just poking out) is bothering him.

Thanks for the help :)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
On a somewhat related note, my 16 month old really gets upset when I wash her hair in the tub, even if it's just with water and no wash or shampoo. She's fine with anything else, but water dripping into her face makes her cry. This is relatively new as of a couple of months ago, so I'm not sure what's going on. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to get her to calm down about this, or not get upset in the first place?

On an unrelated note, she's learning to count and can correlate the numbers with things! When I read her Goodnight Moon, she'll grab my finger and point to the things I describe, and count out loud. Now if only she could figure out which holes the shapes go into :3:

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Volmarias posted:

On a somewhat related note, my 16 month old really gets upset when I wash her hair in the tub, even if it's just with water and no wash or shampoo. She's fine with anything else, but water dripping into her face makes her cry. This is relatively new as of a couple of months ago, so I'm not sure what's going on. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to get her to calm down about this, or not get upset in the first place?

On an unrelated note, she's learning to count and can correlate the numbers with things! When I read her Goodnight Moon, she'll grab my finger and point to the things I describe, and count out loud. Now if only she could figure out which holes the shapes go into :3:

If it's just the water in the face you can buy a thingo that you use to rinse their hair with a rubber lip that wraps onto their forehead, you tip their head back and their face stays dry.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Konomex posted:

If it's just the water in the face you can buy a thingo that you use to rinse their hair with a rubber lip that wraps onto their forehead, you tip their head back and their face stays dry.

We did this and it helped some. Another thing that helps is holding a dry washcloth on their eyes while you pour the water on. All three of my kids went through this so it's fairly common.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

We did this and it helped some. Another thing that helps is holding a dry washcloth on their eyes while you pour the water on. All three of my kids went through this so it's fairly common.

OK, these are both good ideas, thanks. I'll have to find out what the "thingo" is.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Volmarias posted:

OK, these are both good ideas, thanks. I'll have to find out what the "thingo" is.

I think I've seen them at Target in the bath section. I might get one for Chris, he kind of freaks out if water runs down his face. I hold my hand on his forehead and kind of push the water back as I pour it.

What's a good kid's conditioner to use? Chris' hair feels so rough after it's washed.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Volmarias posted:

It's this thingo:
http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Shampoo-Rinse-Cup-SRC44/dp/B001GI4FXI

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

My five year old is still like this. A dry cloth definitely helps.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006

Amykinz posted:

Does she have a Kindle? Is there a better/newer one on the market? My dad got me a Kindle for my birthday and it was at the door when we got home from the hospital with my daughter. LIFESAVER. I have kids games on it for when I need 5 minutes to poop, I can watch cartoons or read in the middle of the night, I even have a sleep graphing app on it to keep track of her nighttime waking up. If she does have one maybe a nice cover for it, but that's all I've got right now.

I have a two-month-old (already!) and I love my iPad so much right now. I can watch Netflix while I pump, I can browse forums in bed easily, check e-mail, etc. It's great for using in proximity to a baby because it is flat and lightweight (so you only need one hand to move it), the touchscreen is quieter than a keyboard, the battery lasts for ages, and you can angle and prop it all kinds of crazy ways that a laptop can't manage.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

FYI, if anyone's looking for a tablet with similar price to an iPad and don't mind Android, the Sony Xperia Tablet, when you cover the ports, is completely waterproof up to 3 feet of water. It's great for bathtime or even when your kid vomits all over your tablet and then laughs right in your face before vomiting again into your mouth.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

flashy_mcflash posted:

FYI, if anyone's looking for a tablet with similar price to an iPad and don't mind Android, the Sony Xperia Tablet, when you cover the ports, is completely waterproof up to 3 feet of water. It's great for bathtime or even when your kid vomits all over your tablet and then laughs right in your face before vomiting again into your mouth.

I second this. I got one because I was looking for a new tablet and knew I'd be sharing it with my soon to be toddler. I've had it drooled on, smacked out of my hand, pushed onto hard floors, and it's still in perfect condition. I'm sure the little bit more it costs is worth it if you've got littles playing with it.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

VorpalBunny posted:

Last year, I found an awesome dinosaur costume at the local Goodwill for $6, and my kid still fits in it so he's wearing it again this year. My daughter will be wearing the cow jacket I found for $5. I will wear a hat covered in dangly eyeballs that was purchased for $10. Thrift stores are the best!

You gotta be careful with that dinosaur costume. There's power in it.
http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2013/10/menace.html

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
There's no way that 90% of people install car seats correctly. I just spent 45 minutes putting a graco 3 in 1 in the suburban. It finally doesn't move around. Also, gently caress seatbelt locking plates and pre-LATCH vehicles.

Ok thanks for letting me get that out of my system. This is gonna be a fun road trip.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
My son just turned six months old and I need to transition him from being exclusively breastfed to formula because of medical issues (my own). I've kind of half heartedly tried to give him a bottle two or three times before and he just chewed on the nipple. To complicate matters further, next week we are going out of the country for two and a half weeks on his first trip. I don't have a deadline for when he needs to be off the breast completely, but the sooner the better for my own health. Any advice?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Capslock Holmes posted:

There's no way that 90% of people install car seats correctly. I just spent 45 minutes putting a graco 3 in 1 in the suburban. It finally doesn't move around. Also, gently caress seatbelt locking plates and pre-LATCH vehicles.

Ok thanks for letting me get that out of my system. This is gonna be a fun road trip.

Just like everything in life it eventually gets really quick and easy, even on the older vehicles, once you've done it 50 times. The first time I did it I kept taking it out and putting it back in because it didn't feel right. I think I spent 3 hours the first time in my older car and now it takes about 2 minutes. LATCH is so much nicer and someday I hope to not be poor enough to buy another post 2001 car. Road trips are always fun especially when you're potty training!

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

An Cat Dubh posted:

My son just turned six months old and I need to transition him from being exclusively breastfed to formula because of medical issues (my own). I've kind of half heartedly tried to give him a bottle two or three times before and he just chewed on the nipple. To complicate matters further, next week we are going out of the country for two and a half weeks on his first trip. I don't have a deadline for when he needs to be off the breast completely, but the sooner the better for my own health. Any advice?

Maybe try and get someone else to give him bottles for a couple of feeds first - Ellie won't take a bottle from me but she will from her dad.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Capslock Holmes posted:

You're right! In fact, according to the NHTSA, approximately 95% of car seats are found to be used improperly at car seat check events. :(

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Maybe try and get someone else to give him bottles for a couple of feeds first - Ellie won't take a bottle from me but she will from her dad.

I can second this. I had to put Sofia on formula when I was put on meds that were contraindicated with nursing. Every time I tried to give her a bottle she'd just clamp her gums shut and turn away from me, but dad or grandma/grandpa could feed her with a bottle just fine. She knew I was holding out on the good stuff and she was mad about it.

PapFinn
Jul 15, 2003

I am Ron Pearlman's illigitimate love child.
My wife and I are expecting our first child in January. I'm not sure if we're getting to this late or not, but we are trying to nail down what we are going to do for childcare once her maternity leave is over. I've been reading some of the stuff from links in the OP, but I figured I would solicit any paractical examples from the parents in this thread.

In theory, I'd like to have my wife stay home with the baby. It would be awfully tight budget-wise and would require a better look at our finances. It wouldn't have been an option before she was pregnant, as she loved going in to work, but since being pregnant she's not as smitten with it. I don't think either of us know what she'll want to do when the time comes. She may go back to how she was or be even less inclined to continue.

We are going to check out some day care centers around us this week or next. No one puts tuition rates on their site, so I don't know what to expect beyond ranges from $3000 to $12000 annually.

Also, her job is not on a set schedule, so some weekdays she is home all day and others she works for 12 hours. I don't know if day care centers accommodate that and that would change the price or if it's just a monthly cost for as many days hours as you have your kid there.

I don't think in (our) home care is a financial possibility. Private daycare (in someone else's home) is supposedly cheapest, but I'm nervous about that after reading various horror stories of the terrible American day care situation.

This is getting long, but any advice, or tips, or lesson's learned or good links would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
Maybe think about having her try to go part time after the baby. That's what I'm doing which allows the budget to not be so tight but also give me 4 days with the baby rather than 2.

Also for in home care talk to other parents around you. We found an in home care that our friends had been using for awhile and they had nothing but nice things to say. I don't think I could trust just anyone but a trusted recommendation helped ease my mind. Home care is especially nice for us since we only need care 3 days a week she is much more economical (most of the daycares we looked at don't share cribs so you play for 5 days whether you need them or not).