Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I got a flyer from TRU in the mail yesterday. Their yearly Bricktober thing is starting, except now instead of one classic minifig per week, now if you buy $60 in Lego, you get a free Minifigure Collection Pack of 5 figs. Week 4 is a 3x5 minifig display case.

The picture's kinda small, but here's what I can make out:
10/6-10/12:
Burgler/thug with striped shirt and overalls with gray knit cap, police officer with aviators and a tie, woman in orange blouse, nurse with stethoscope print, and jester.
10/13-10/19:
Blocked (all I can see is a blue leg, blue shirt with a lighter bluish arm), Bride in dress, Pirate with hook hand and skull & crossbones pirate hat, king with silver crown and gold lion emblem, modern astronaut with suit and gold visor
10/20-10/26:
Racecar driver with red helmet, chef with hat, woman rock star? (it looks like she's wearing a purple shirt with an exposed midriff), firefighter with white helmet, and wizard with blue wizard hat.
10/27-11/2:
3x5 minifigure display case with handle.

Not too shabby, getting a $15-20 pack of figs for free.

They're also advertising Monster Fighters, so this may be your last chance to get them before the line is retired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Ka0 posted:

I couldn't find my first lego set (starfire 1) so all of you classic space minifig holders can eat my shorts. :mad:

It could use a good cleaning, but this Starfire 1? :cheeky:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Since eveyone's in Classic Space mode, look what I found amongst my otherwise faded, cracked and scratched old minifigs...

Shame none of the red, white or yellow guys survived this well.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
It must be the helmets but they just look so much happier than regular minifigs.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

ChesterJT posted:

It must be the helmets but they just look so much happier than regular minifigs.

They're just so jazzed about being in space.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

ltr posted:

It could use a good cleaning, but this Starfire 1? :cheeky:

My very first lego set. I remember going to the store and picking it out from a shelf full of other sets. I built and took it apart thousands of times.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You know those two black pieces under the ship, the little support arms that the 1x6 plates stick to? I did not know until last week that lego made two styles of that brick. The "old" style had holes all the way through so you could stick poles through them. The new style has the holes sealed off.

I had to do a lot of extra pawing through my bucket to be able to properly finish the space police ship I built.

Why you gotta change stuff like that, lego? :smith:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

L45-K3R Emmanuel (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Let's keep the classic space train rolling...

For some reason all my yellow guys look great but every other color the planet went white. I've got more and they're pretty much all this way.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My yellow chests look the best too, but I only have zero yellow helmets with chins. :smith:

ether
May 20, 2001

xzzy posted:

You know those two black pieces under the ship, the little support arms that the 1x6 plates stick to? I did not know until last week that lego made two styles of that brick. The "old" style had holes all the way through so you could stick poles through them. The new style has the holes sealed off.

I had to do a lot of extra pawing through my bucket to be able to properly finish the space police ship I built.

Why you gotta change stuff like that, lego? :smith:

Same way with the 1x1 plate with clip light (#4081b) but unlike the support arms the new style is better, the thicker ring is perfect to connect bricks by the bottoms, the older ring is thinner then a plate which makes it unfit for that.

I made a brickshelf for the minion, that uses that technique to connect the front and back. That should be good for partlist and an exploded view as well. I made some minor adjustments not included in the lxf to make it cheaper to bricklink (most notably using 2 2x2 tiles instead of a 2x4 and smaller plates on the interior)

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002
Speaking of Lego minions, I made this a while ago based on one I found online and reversed engineered. Think it turned out okay.

If anyone wants the LDD file, it's here

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I bought the haunted house about a month ago and finally finished building it. It looks great on my shelf but now I have no room for any more modulars :( And I had to get rid of my lighthouse to fit this one on the shelf.

But I took some photos:

And an action shot of the neighbourhood emergency service vehicles:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

cyberia posted:

I bought the haunted house about a month ago and finally finished building it. It looks great on my shelf but now I have no room for any more modulars :( And I had to get rid of my lighthouse to fit this one on the shelf.

But I took some photos:

And an action shot of the neighbourhood emergency service vehicles:

The Haunted House is still my favourite set. Can't believe you haven't switched out those zombie heads for regular bricks though! I don't think I've ever seen someone not do that before. C'mon, four extra zombies!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Merchant of Death posted:

If you are going to order over $100 wait until the 14th as a christmas set is coming out that will be thrown in as well.

Of course my 10% off coupon from the catalog expires the 13th...

Clever girl LEGO, clever girl.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

cyberia posted:

But I took some photos:

I forgot how much I liked that 4954 creator house from 2007. It has such a nice finished look. Too bad it is 180-400 on ebay and bricklink! I have reverse buyers remorse.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

djfooboo posted:

Of course my 10% off coupon from the catalog expires the 13th...

Clever girl LEGO, clever girl.

Just a forewarning about coupons for those who may not yet know. You cannot use discount coupons on exclusive items, i.e. the Haunted House, Mindstorms, the modular buildings, etc. It's a new LBR policy of some sort. I don't know if it's any different for the website, though.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Lizard Combatant posted:

The Haunted House is still my favourite set. Can't believe you haven't switched out those zombie heads for regular bricks though! I don't think I've ever seen someone not do that before. C'mon, four extra zombies!

My entire lego collection is on that shelf (as well as two Friends sets to the left of the Haunted House) so I don't really have enough minifigs to make up an extra 4 zombies. And I wouldn't know what bricks to use in their place on the house :( I do like the heads as bricks though, they add a bit of extra spooky flavour to the place.

Last_Taste posted:

I forgot how much I liked that 4954 creator house from 2007. It has such a nice finished look. Too bad it is 180-400 on ebay and bricklink! I have reverse buyers remorse.

Yeah, it's a really fun build and looks great on display. I only got into the Creator houses last year so I bought the 4954 house on eBay for around $200 but I justified it by telling myself that if I ever need to sell it I can most likely make my money back and then some.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

here's a WIP

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The new modular, you guys!

More pictures here

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

The_Doctor posted:

More pictures here

This is excellent. At 2400 pieces it might end up being 200US/250CDN. The green is really nice and while the interior of the building is small it just looks pretty nice. I prefer it over cafe corner for sure.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

One of these days they are going to have to retire one...

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

cyberia posted:

My entire lego collection is on that shelf (as well as two Friends sets to the left of the Haunted House) so I don't really have enough minifigs to make up an extra 4 zombies. And I wouldn't know what bricks to use in their place on the house :( I do like the heads as bricks though, they add a bit of extra spooky flavour to the place.

I just used 1x1 light grey bricks. They do look good on the building, but my western town needed more ghouls.

The_Doctor posted:

More pictures here

Beautiful. Exactly what I was hoping for.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 5, 2013

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
What is that croissant-looking piece they have in white decorating the roof? They used it in brown-orange for the crest on City Hall, as well.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

A croissant. Looks like white is a new color though.

http://www.brickset.com/parts/?design=33125

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Dat vespa :swoon:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Lizard Combatant posted:

Beautiful. Exactly what I was hoping for.

The last two were let down by their interiors. This thing looks perfect.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Krazyface posted:

The last two were let down by their interiors. This thing looks perfect.

Yeah I really love the cinema but the interior was a little lacking. Look at that kitchen!

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Love that they have a dude sabering a bottle of champagne.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Oh my god! Every time they release a new one I find myself thinking they can't get any better, and every time I've been proven wrong! This is beautiful!

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Lego pie piece! I'm buying it just for that.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
Apparently it's the 10th anniversary of my city's Lego shop next week, and I got a postcard that says there's a free gift for the first 100 people through the door and the first 200 people to spend £25. And it's on the weekend I'm out of town :argh:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Merchant of Death posted:

This is excellent. At 2400 pieces it might end up being 200US/250CDN. The green is really nice and while the interior of the building is small it just looks pretty nice. I prefer it over cafe corner for sure.

More details: price is $159.99 and available in January.

Also, the press release only mentions Town Hall and Palace Cinema as the other modular buildings.

Personally, my stack of NIB modulars is getting scary. I buy them to build, I just can't find the time to actually build them, especially in summer. Not to mention needing a new bookcase for display.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 5, 2013

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Has there been any word on the Black Friday promotions at the Lego store yet?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

door Door door posted:

Love that they have a dude sabering a bottle of champagne.

Me too, made me laugh :D

For those wondering:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabrage

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
First, holy poo poo, that restaurant. I didn't think it was possible to top the cinema on my personal favorites list, and yet here we are. The kitchen alone, dear god.

That said, with Halloween approaching: Anyone who has both the haunted house and the October polybag pumpkin should know that the giant pumpkin's rounded base is EXACTLY the right size to sit locked in atop said haunted house.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/371389

Now that someone made the ultimate Helm's Deep I hope we can move on onto other dioramas.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Ka0 posted:

Now that someone made the ultimate Helm's Deep I hope we can move on onto other dioramas.

How much money do you think was spent on this alone?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

bloodysabbath posted:

First, holy poo poo, that restaurant. I didn't think it was possible to top the cinema on my personal favorites list, and yet here we are. The kitchen alone, dear god.

That said, with Halloween approaching: Anyone who has both the haunted house and the October polybag pumpkin should know that the giant pumpkin's rounded base is EXACTLY the right size to sit locked in atop said haunted house.

That artist studio under the roof, awesome.

Still need to get the cinema. And then some more space to put it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Ka0 posted:

I know that for the builder this took a lot of time and effort but the end result, to me, is dull. It's just grey bricks and straight lines.

I'd prefer to see a model that uses 12 pieces really inventively than this.