Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I loved shiki and its slow ramp up, but I bet that was torturous if you watched it week to week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

Another was a cool little supernatural horror/mystery show. It's basically anime Final Destination. Characters try to figure out the cause of a curse that haunts a school. It kind of keeps you guessing how the rules work and the real cause behind everything until the end.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Can I talk about shows I recently watched here? Cause I finished Gargantia and I was pleasantly surprised. The writing gets goofy at times, but the main sci fi themes are solid and the series even has a 'first contact' bit which is pulled off very well. There is also a twist which will be a treat to fans of Herbert's Destination Void and Watt's Blindsight.

The pacing is set at a slow burn but the show's only 12 eps so that kinda offsets it. It's not an amazing show but I found it enjoyable and a nice holdover until the fall shows start.

The Ol Spicy Keychain fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Oct 1, 2013

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Geek U.S.A. posted:

Can I talk about shows I recently watched here? Cause I finished Gargantia and I was pleasantly surprised. The writing gets goofy at times, but the main sci fi themes are solid and the series even has a 'first contact' bit which is pulled off very well. There is also a twist which will be a treat to fans of Herbert's Destination Void and Watt's Blindsight.

The pacing is set at a slow burn but the show's only 12 eps so that kinda offsets it. It's not an amazing show but I found it enjoyable and a nice holdover until the fall shows start.

There's still a thread up for Gargantia, if you want to talk about it there.

On topic: Might I recommend Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero, and Psycho-Pass if you enjoyed Gargantia? The head writer for Gargantia, Gen Urobuchi, also worked on these shows, and none of them have nearly as much obvious production committee interference as Gargantia does (fun things about Gargantia's production: Urobuchi not being involved with writing the fanservice parts, Melty and Saya not even existing at all in the original script outlines). Be warned in advance though that Gargantia is a lot more laid back than any of those.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 1, 2013

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
I didn't know all those shows were by the same guy! Cool. I did watch Madoka and thought it was hilariously over the top but Fate and Psycho Pass sound very interesting. Just added Fate to my crunchyroll queue so thanks.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Depending on what your definition of horror/mystery is, Mushishi might fit, there's certainly a lot of weird mysterious poo poo and some of it is extremely unnerving. I watched it before Mononoke and thought that they had a lot of common ground.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Geek U.S.A. posted:

You might want to check out the 1985 Ryousuke Takahashi show SPT Layzner which was a huge and obvious influence on Gargantia. It's not fully subbed but the subbers have 31 of 38 episodes done.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
That's an interesting observation. I'd just note SPT Layzner is more of a traditional mecha series than Gargantia and thus actively focuses on fighting an alien invasion, but there are indeed a few surprising parallels between both shows. While I felt the first part of the story was stronger than the second, which was apparently affected by behind-the-scenes issues (that they partially corrected with the last OVA), Layzner is definitely worth a look.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If nothing else, Layzner has the most amazing last few episodes I've ever seen in a mecha anime. Shame about those being unsubbed.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Specifically those behind the scenes issues were due to the sponsor pulling out because it turns out their heaters killed people with carbon monoxide. Said sponsor went bankrupt and could no longer afford to pay for the show, obviously.

Sucks but at least they did manage to get an OVA out. That's more than a lot of canceled shows get.

(Also, Layzner got a blu-ray release last month! Hopefully it won't take terribly long for raws to surface. The video quality of the early fansubbed episodes is kinda dreary)

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
So I'm watching LOGH and about 16 episodes in and it's finally starting to hit me, the animation is bad, but the story is great. Tell me, does the animation get any better, seeing as this is a show that ran for 10 years?

Also so I'm actually recommending something here, Mushishi is fantastic, I like to think of it as House but actually good. It has so many memorable episodes and tells compelling stories even without a linear narrative.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Toadsniff posted:

So I'm watching LOGH and about 16 episodes in and it's finally starting to hit me, the animation is bad, but the story is great. Tell me, does the animation get any better, seeing as this is a show that ran for 10 years?

Yes. It gets better. The animation never quite stops showing its age, but believe me, it gets MUCH better. Like,remember Iserlohn's fall? It gets to that point, but still a ways away.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Toadsniff posted:

Most episodes are animated economically, but it brings out the budget when the situation warrants. It gets a lot of mileage out of conversations and fleet maneuvers, but in the "season" finales there's usually some sudden flourishes of detail to underscore the emotion.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow. I know a lot of folks have said Biscuit Hammer has one of the most satisfying epilogues of any series( and I agree to an extent), but I've gotta say, I finally got around to reading Kids on the Slope and it has probably the most satisfying epilogues I've read. What a great manga, there was one point where I nearly threw up my hands because it was such a cliche scene, but the author subverts it magnificent. I'll have to watch the anime so I can hear the music as they play it, too. But if you watched the anime, I heartily suggest reading the manga's ending and bonus chapters, since it appears the anime doesn't cover the bonus chapters, and they're real good.

It appears to be on Crunchyroll too, and I kept my sub for Kill La Kill, so this is perfect!

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

I'm watching this show called xxxHolic, and it seems to be ok except for the fact that I'm a little put off by how FREAKISHLY TALL everyone is in the anime. Like, the main character looks like they took Jack Skellington and gave him skin. :stare:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

You have no idea.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Thunderfinger posted:

I'm watching this show called xxxHolic, and it seems to be ok except for the fact that I'm a little put off by how FREAKISHLY TALL everyone is in the anime. Like, the main character looks like they took Jack Skellington and gave him skin. :stare:

At some point in the late 90's, the CLAMP ladies collectively stopped giving a poo poo about semi-sensible body proportions. At least that's my theory. Then again, Magic Knight Rayearth was basically my favorite anime for pretty much all of my puberty / early adolescence while growing up in Shitsville, so I'm willing to cut them some slack.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wark Say posted:

At some point in the late 90's, the CLAMP ladies collectively stopped giving a poo poo about semi-sensible body proportions. At least that's my theory. Then again, Magic Knight Rayearth was basically my favorite anime for pretty much all of my puberty / early adolescence while growing up in Shitsville, so I'm willing to cut them some slack.

Same here but with the X manga.

But yeah, at some point they just stopped giving a gently caress.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Clamp uses different main artists for a their works. I really like the xxxHolic art style in the manga, but I have no clue what they were thinking with the anime -- Code Geass mostly gets the thin body style right, I'd say.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
How about some heroic anime? For justice, goodness, all that. Alternatively, something with a strong moral message.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

WickedHate posted:

How about some heroic anime? For justice, goodness, all that. Alternatively, something with a strong moral message.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

WickedHate posted:

Tiger and Bunny. A buddy-cop show except the cops are superheroes and the old man with experience is the excitable go-getter hero, while the young guy fresh out of the academy is the surly serious one who always does things correctly. Also they have advertisements all over their superhero suits and their superheroing antics are filmed on live-action TV.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SpaceViking posted:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

I forgot all about this one! Yes, this should do nicely-though I'd be fine with more recommendations too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Doesn't get much more HEROIC than The King of Braves: GaoGaiGar. First 17 or so episodes are monster of the week, though they're still decent enough that if you've got the time, just watch the whole show.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I watched every episode of TTGL, Tiger & Bunny and GaoGaiGar consecutively over about a 2 month stretch of glorious anime heroism and it was pretty drat :911: so I second all those recommendations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Thank you all. :)

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

WickedHate posted:

This isn't 'heroic anime' at all, but I really loved Twelve Kingdoms for the strong moral message part. Great fantasy adventure show with very strong character arcs.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Kind of weird that my first thought was Twelve Kingdoms as well, since there's not much heroism or justice. Still, it's the best fantasy anime series, and one of my favorite shows. The world-building and character growth are particularly great.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Could you guys elaborate a little about Twelve Kingdoms? I've never heard of it before.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's an extremely well developed fantasy story about a group of people are transported into a magical/fantasy world (well, it was originally just one girl in the books, but the anime brought a few more along). What set it apart from most others of a similar cliched description was that it dedicated itself to developing both its cast and world, and as such by the end you get a real epic feeling from the experience. Almost LotR-like, really. It's very no-nonsense and well realized.

The main character is kind of a chore at first but boy does her character pay off by the end. Also, sadly some plot threads are never finished because the anime didn't animate all of the books (although they did the main Youko ones).

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 5, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Captain Invictus posted:

Doesn't get much more HEROIC than The King of Braves: GaoGaiGar. First 17 or so episodes are monster of the week, though they're still decent enough that if you've got the time, just watch the whole show.

I tried to watch GaoGaiGar once and was almost physically ill at how blatant a toy advertisement it was.

I'm exaggerating a little but seriously nothing in the first episode gave me the slightest reason to continue watching.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Serei no Moribito is a high quality fantasy anime with heroic elements that seems to be fairly under the radar given its director is the same guy who did GITS (Kenji Kamiyama).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I tried to watch GaoGaiGar once and was almost physically ill at how blatant a toy advertisement it was.

I'm exaggerating a little but seriously nothing in the first episode gave me the slightest reason to continue watching.
This sadly describes the first 20 episodes or whatever (I can't remember the exact number), but when it ramps up it does so in an enormous fashion.

I still hate that loving kid though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you don't like generic super robot shows then yeah, the first ~20 episodes are going to be hard going. Eventually it does have a story and almost reaches the insanity levels of Gunbuster and TTGL, but first and foremost it's a kids super robot show designed to sell toys, just turned up to 11.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

To be fair, so was Transformers and they were still able to tell good stories in the show and the comic.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

WickedHate posted:

To be fair, so was Transformers and they were still able to tell good stories in the show and the comic.

99% of mecha shows exist to sell plastic poo poo to children/men-children it's what they do within that framework that makes a difference.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The monster-of-the-week parts are definitely the worst - once it gets going it ramps up into amazing insanity, as others have said.

Does a 'essential episodes' guide for GGG exist, like it does for Sailor Moon? There are a couple of important plot points in the monster-of-the-week segments, but I can't remember which episodes they're in.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

99% of mecha shows exist to sell plastic poo poo to children/men-children it's what they do within that framework that makes a difference.

I was quite surprised how Transformers Prime managed to hold onto a pretty regular core cast of bots, considering most Transformers series involve at least 2-3 deaths and new arrivals for both factions per season.

WickedHate posted:

Watch Gunbuster if you haven't seen it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

The monster-of-the-week parts are definitely the worst - once it gets going it ramps up into amazing insanity, as others have said.

Does a 'essential episodes' guide for GGG exist, like it does for Sailor Moon? There are a couple of important plot points in the monster-of-the-week segments, but I can't remember which episodes they're in.

I've looked around for one but as far as I can tell nobody has compiled any such list (probably because most of the time it's for shows that are well over 50 episodes). Which is a shame because while there are a few cool monster of the week episodes (like the Zonder that looks like a Zaku, or the Zonder that imitates Gaogaigar) there are a bunch of weak as hell ones too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

WickedHate posted:

Could you guys elaborate a little about Twelve Kingdoms? I've never heard of it before.

Nate RFB posted:

It's an extremely well developed fantasy story about a group of people are transported into a magical/fantasy world (well, it was originally just one girl in the books, but the anime brought a few more along). What set it apart from most others of a similar cliched description was that it dedicated itself to developing both its cast and world, and as such by the end you get a real epic feeling from the experience. Almost LotR-like, really. It's very no-nonsense and well realized.

The main character is kind of a chore at first but boy does her character pay off by the end. Also, sadly some plot threads are never finished because the anime didn't animate all of the books (although they did the main Youko ones).

Woah, Nate RFB! Haven't seen your name in forever!

I think of Twelve Kingdoms as basically an eastern fantasy LotR (as in, inspired by ancient China instead of medieval Europe). The world and history are similarly epic if you really get into it. While the anime is great, what really pushed it into being one of my absolute favorites is the written material, both the books and short stories. They're necessary if you want the more complete story (though are sadly unfinished as well), and are just fantastic. Luckily all but one have official or fan translations.

Nate's right about Youko, just tolerate her for a little bit and it's totally worth it.

• Locked thread