Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bondster
May 6, 2007

New Chapter

drat it Mashima, you just had to take a nice, cute happy moment and complete ruin it by making Flare's breasts gigantic and putting them in the center of the frame :cripes:

Typically wouldn't complain about this considering it's Fairy Tail, but this poo poo is just awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

bondster posted:

New Chapter

drat it Mashima, you just had to take a nice, cute happy moment and complete ruin it by making Flare's breasts gigantic and putting them in the center of the frame :cripes:

Typically wouldn't complain about this considering it's Fairy Tail, but this poo poo is just awful.

And this chapter we're introducing the newest baddie, she's got the biggest tits yet, with a giant rear end to boot. I have to agree, Mashima is starting to get a bit carried away.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
This is a weird story arc.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

bondster posted:

New Chapter

:words:
I'm probably definitely overthinking it, and I know it's Fairy Tail, where 2 out of 3 villains remember the meaning of friendship and decide to become NAKAMA but Flare's conversion to good bothers me. It's good that it was set up early and she didn't spend too much time as an evil bitch, but that initial creepy evilness was never explained away to my satisfaction. I really kept expecting her to stab everyone in the back during this arc ("Hey I'm following you guyz<3 and oh what a coincidence I'm actually from this village, and the giants would gladly corroborate my story if only they weren't too busy being frozen! Also I have this bridge back in Magnolia, I think you may have seen it a few times..")

I just don't get it. I suppose if she were an innocent soul to start with, Raven Tail would have no problem corrupting her. But then why does it seem as though all it took to undo her twisted and sadistic side was a single beating? M-maybe she saw that when other guilds lost they got ice cream and medical attention and realized she was getting a raw deal? On the other hand, if she were just naive and temporarily fell in with a bad crowd, why did she become a monster in such a short amount of time? Nor did it seem like she needed much nudging to clobber Lucy. If anything she was enjoying herself a little too much.

and no one break out the 'Y' word please

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005
All I can see is Griffith

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Convergence posted:

All I can see is Griffith

I'm glad I wasn't the only one!

"Oh cool a Berserk upd- oh wait."

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Zogundar posted:

:words:

I just don't get it. I suppose if she were an innocent soul to start with, Raven Tail would have no problem corrupting her. But then why does it seem as though all it took to undo her twisted and sadistic side was a single beating? M-maybe she saw that when other guilds lost they got ice cream and medical attention and realized she was getting a raw deal? On the other hand, if she were just naive and temporarily fell in with a bad crowd, why did she become a monster in such a short amount of time? Nor did it seem like she needed much nudging to clobber Lucy. If anything she was enjoying herself a little too much.

Eh, I just figured she was a blank slate instead of an innocent soul. Monster isn't monster when you are told it's normal. And one can say that she was happy making the guild look good/not beat her rather than enjoying the act itself. After the leader is gone, she reverts to lost again. Overthinking things 101. :eng101:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Eh, I just figured she was a blank slate instead of an innocent soul. Monster isn't monster when you are told it's normal. And one can say that she was happy making the guild look good/not beat her rather than enjoying the act itself. After the leader is gone, she reverts to lost again. Overthinking things 101. :eng101:

Doesn't work when you're tormenting someone who can't fight back because you're holding a baby hostage. Especially when you appear to be deriving intense pleasure from the act. Also she was super hating on Lucy from the moment they met.

Now if Raven Tail were actually behind freezing the village and sold Flare on the idea that it was actually Fairy Tail who did it, masterminded by Lucy, then it at least makes some modicum of sense. As it is, she turns from a the voices in her head tell her to kill, unprovoked psychopath to nice new kid trying to make friends on a dime.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gyges posted:

Also she was super hating on Lucy from the moment they met.

I'm not sure "hating" is the right word. :gay:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

international owl day posted:

And this chapter we're introducing the newest baddie, she's got the biggest tits yet, with a giant rear end to boot. I have to agree, Mashima is starting to get a bit carried away.

I'm actually more annoyed at the way Minerva responds than the ridiculousness of the new character's design. Minerva's whole thing is supposed to be that she doesn't give a poo poo about anyone but herself, doesn't hold any real sense of guild loyalty and wants to be the strongest. Suddenly someone shows up who squashes her latest guild on her own and has a magic that makes people stronger if they can withstand it. I expected Minerva to just smirk at that point and ask for the Tartarus chick to do it on her because she knew she could withstand it, but nope, time for crying and helplessness instead. I know she's getting friendzoned by Erza given last chapter, but hers is gonna come off as badly as Flare's by the looks of things. I actually kind of like Flare's current characterization, even if it's highly reminiscent of Juvia, because it's fun in a weird way, but it really could have been set up or executed way better.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

tsob posted:

I'm actually more annoyed at the way Minerva responds than the ridiculousness of the new character's design. Minerva's whole thing is supposed to be that she doesn't give a poo poo about anyone but herself, doesn't hold any real sense of guild loyalty and wants to be the strongest. Suddenly someone shows up who squashes her latest guild on her own and has a magic that makes people stronger if they can withstand it. I expected Minerva to just smirk at that point and ask for the Tartarus chick to do it on her because she knew she could withstand it, but nope, time for crying and helplessness instead. I know she's getting friendzoned by Erza given last chapter, but hers is gonna come off as badly as Flare's by the looks of things. I actually kind of like Flare's current characterization, even if it's highly reminiscent of Juvia, because it's fun in a weird way, but it really could have been set up or executed way better.

Mashima is asking us to overlook Flare's introduction, It seems. And to go from sadistic evil to benevolent good in like 40 chapters. :ohdear: It's a hard pill to swallow, alright.

Minerva will probably take a few more chapters to think things over before joining Fairy Tail. I think Mashima wanted to introduce new characters, as evil characters to begin with, its just the execution of their redemption is so weirdly handled and very rushed. Hollow motivations and hasty redemption arcs makes me think Mashima just wants to shoehorn in as many huge tittied women as he can.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Hollow motivations and hasty redemption arcs makes me think Mashima just wants to shoehorn in as many huge tittied women as he can.

You're only figuring this out now?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Kuroyama posted:

You're only figuring this out now?

It's a worsening trend, is all.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

tsob posted:

See with Minerva, I'm leaning against her actually making the transition to good (At least while still alive or generally intact.) She's most closely involved with Erza, who has the most tragic-est past and is probably the worst person to have as an old friend or enemy in Fairy Tail. It's a kiss of death. It basically guarantees you to have lived at least part of your life in abject misery (Or even being killed in one case.) Your odds of surviving after a fight with her are also less than perfect now.

Since this is Fairy Tail and usually only the worst people actually die (wtf why is Jiemma still alive) maybe she'll survive the evil-ining, but she could also be destroyed by it after a fight with Erza, thus giving us a reason for Erza to horribly murder Femto. :v:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Well, chapter 355 is out. Mashima has become completely self-aware, but it's now proven to not have stopped him.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
http://readms.com/r/fairy_tail/355/2098/1 Mashima :cripes:

Tiger Shark
Oct 2, 2013

Nalin posted:

Well, chapter 355 is out. Mashima has become completely self-aware, but it's now proven to not have stopped him.

The majority of the magic seen in this manga are the excuses he finds.

Edit: I think if we're going to be honest about it, the fanservice has really been going on since the beginning of the manga and it's not likely to change.

Tiger Shark fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 10, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Impressive. That was actually approaching History's Strongest Disciple levels.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Gyges posted:

Impressive. That was actually approaching History's Strongest Disciple levels.

I would honestly say it was worse.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

I would honestly say it was worse.

Nah.

Mashima can actually draw, an ability that eludes Kenichi's author.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 10, 2013

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
The ending was pretty great, though. That expression on Natsu's face was wonderful.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Maybe I've just become desensitized to it over time, but I didn't find this chapter particularly bad, and honestly the design of the new evil character (which is to say, generic female Fairy Tail body type, wearing a thong because why not I guess) last chapter annoyed me more than the entirety of this one. I mean yeah, it's a crappy hot springs episode, but it didn't dwell on the crappy hot springs episode jokes apart from the few in the beginning. Also broccoli guy is pretty great. God drat it why am I trying to defend this? At any rate it's still not as bad as Kenichi has gotten, not that that's saying much.

It is a shame Juvia wasn't there to get herself some manservice though, but it's a shame she isn't part of the team to begin with.

Nahxela posted:

The ending was pretty great, though. That expression on Natsu's face was wonderful.

Also this. Erza beating the poo poo out of Natsu for doing something dumb never gets old.

Edit: I also just noticed Gray's very self-aware comment, though I'm not sure whether it's actually self-awareness or mere coincidence. And I'm starting to wonder who hasn't been a founding member of the guild at this point, though I guess it explains why they haven't been shut down yet.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 10, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Tiger Shark posted:

The majority of the magic seen in this manga are the excuses he finds.

Edit: I think if we're going to be honest about it, the fanservice has really been going on since the beginning of the manga and it's not likely to change.

Really? For some reason, I don't feel it was as ... blatant back then. Did he really have that many women with the exact same hourglass figure in it at the beginning? Or as many obvious butt/boob shots? Or nude scenes? Somehow I'm a bit skeptical of this, but I don't really feel like I could be arsed to go and reread the comic to find out.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Hello again ADTRW I am back to post about that Fairy Tail chapter but I lost all words

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Chalk me up as not really caring either. I love Warrod, thought some of the jokes were funny and thought the two page spread with the stars while Warrod spoke was very pretty. There was quite a bit of man service to balance it out anyways, along with shipping potential for people in to that given Natsu scrubbing Erza's back and poo poo - so it's not like it was all bad or anything. I'm sure quite a few women enjoyed that as well as quite a few men.

Edit: gently caress it, I have a confession guys: I like boobs. I don't read any manga specifically for boobs, but I actually enjoy when a manga puts them in quite a bit of the time on some level. The only time I found it egregious recently in Fairy Tail for instance is last chapter, with a huge pair of tits ruining what was supposed to be a touching panel of someone crying. I find the poses that the guy drawing Kenichi constantly stuffs women in to more annoying because they always feel un-natural for what the character is doing. Mashima isn't nearly as bad about that, so I usually don't mind. Otherwise, if I can get boobs and good story in one package I'm a happy guy. My problem with Fairy Tail isn't the constant fan service, it's that the guy isn't that good of a writer and constantly sets up and then wastes interesting stuff. If he could write a better story or character arcs while having some fan service I would have no problem with him most of the time.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 10, 2013

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I did sort of like the self-awareness of "hey we've seen you naked a bunch of times, it's not really that big a deal anymore." I'm surprised more fanservice shows haven't used that line before.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

DrSunshine posted:

Really? For some reason, I don't feel it was as ... blatant back then. Did he really have that many women with the exact same hourglass figure in it at the beginning? Or as many obvious butt/boob shots? Or nude scenes? Somehow I'm a bit skeptical of this, but I don't really feel like I could be arsed to go and reread the comic to find out.

It was definitely milder in the beginning. I still remember when he dropped the first pantyshot very well, and knew right away that that was the start of a slippery slope.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Monaghan posted:

I did sort of like the self-awareness of "hey we've seen you naked a bunch of times, it's not really that big a deal anymore."

That, and Erza actually washing Natsu's back even though he doesn't wanna, cracked me up. Also Happy's "Aye", which is funny no matter what but really made me giggle this time.

But it was the stone being crumpled as Erza made a fist at the end that really made me forgive any slights I might have felt from being shown cartoon boobs. I call this a Good Chapter.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I felt like Natsu and Gray were reader stand-ins at "Nudity? Meh. :geno:"

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
This is really small, but it has been bugging me all day.

Tartarus are basically Fairy Tail's Satanists, but they have a demon slayer in their roster. It seems weird to me, and I've figured out 4 explanations that I'll accept.

A) It's just a title. Demon-Slayer magic is just really powerful, but gains no bonuses from use against demons.

B) It's insurance in case any of the demons they summon get out of hand.

C) It's to get rid of the competition. Tartarus doesn't want you serving those demons, they want you serving these demons.

D) Tartarus are running a massive con on the guy to keep him from finding out the truth.

I really want it to be D.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

This is really small, but it has been bugging me all day.

Tartarus are basically Fairy Tail's Satanists, but they have a demon slayer in their roster. It seems weird to me, and I've figured out 4 explanations that I'll accept.

A) It's just a title. Demon-Slayer magic is just really powerful, but gains no bonuses from use against demons.

B) It's insurance in case any of the demons they summon get out of hand.

C) It's to get rid of the competition. Tartarus doesn't want you serving those demons, they want you serving these demons.

D) Tartarus are running a massive con on the guy to keep him from finding out the truth.

I really want it to be D.

I'm leaning towards E) It does make you more effective against demons, but that doesn't mean every Demon Slayer likes killing demons; Natsu doesn't go around killing dragons.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Holy crap that last panel... he's not even being subtle about it. Ezra bent over with Natsu on top. :aaa:

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 12, 2013

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

I'm leaning towards E) It does make you more effective against demons, but that doesn't mean every Demon Slayer likes killing demons; Natsu doesn't go around killing dragons.

Like Natsu he may have learned it from Demons.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
When I was reading this I half expected this thread to be purged from the forum or something. "This is it, this is the line crossed that will get this knocked out of polite discussion."

Glad to see I was wrong!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I was discussing this chapter with a friend while reading it and went 'oh wow I don't think fairy tail can take this any further'!

I was only half way through at the time.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I tend to read Kenichi before this so it didn't even register as odd.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Harry posted:

I tend to read Kenichi before this so it didn't even register as odd.

I like to think Kenichi tries to balance things out with an equal share of man-service.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I like to think Kenichi tries to balance things out with an equal share of man-service.

That's just silly. Men don't wear tissue paper clothes. Though they do always bring tickets to the gun show.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Gyges posted:

That's just silly. Men don't wear tissue paper clothes. Though they do always bring tickets to the gun show.

I like to think Kenichi tries to balance the overwhelming fanservice that comes along with any Shigure arc by taking masculinity into the realm of gruesome but godly acts of manliness. Like dying on your feet. And badass poses.

But it probably doesn't even out with how little Shigure ends up wearing by the end of battle. Which is usually nothing. But what I mean is that the men are at least attempted to be portrayed as masculine as the women are feminine.

Matoi Ryuko fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

New Chapter. Things took a dramatic shift. :stare:

And then Juvia. :catstare:

• Locked thread