Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The more I've played (single player, however) the less I'm liking a lot of these changes. No tax adjustment just seems to hammer blood nations-you get less money than previously (due to higher unrest), and you're also slowed by having fewer slaves so conversion to full blood econ takes longer.

Also, I don't know if I'm a fan of the slower research. I think I understand the purpose of making national troops more relevant longer, but I think one of the weaker parts of the game is shuffling largely generic dudes around the map. I think if they wanted more of a focus on troops, more national spells (non-summons) with a focus on buffing would've been better. Of course, there's so many good buffs already so it could easily end up redundant...

Along with that, slow to recruit seems largely arbitrary in it's application. And I'm not a fan of locking you entirely out of the recruitment slot-I'm unsure if it would be possible but if it only locked you out of recruiting other mages I think that would be a good change, and would allow for more national commanders to be used (which outside of some rare niche choices I don't think get bought whenever it's otherwise possible to recruit a mage).

And I really, really wish they would've put in some other diplomacy options. The team options are cool, but just not enough.

All that being said, I'm still trying to absorb all the new changes. There seems to be a bunch of new spells along with old spells changed, The new nations all seem pretty interesting. And as I've been messing around more, there's a lot of stuff with old nations that I'm finding has changed (poor MA C'tis losing leadership from all their troops :( ).

When the game's released, if possible I'd like to hop into a newbie-ish style game. Also, do people still do blitzes at all? I remember getting in some previously, would be nice to organize a 6-player (or more...) blitz game sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

alansmithee posted:

The more I've played (single player, however) the less I'm liking a lot of these changes. No tax adjustment just seems to hammer blood nations-you get less money than previously (due to higher unrest), and you're also slowed by having fewer slaves so conversion to full blood econ takes longer.

Good. Blood was absurdly good before, so slowing it down makes sense. It's still really good now since the slow research means only having to research one line is an even bigger advantage.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

alansmithee posted:

Also, I don't know if I'm a fan of the slower research. I think I understand the purpose of making national troops more relevant longer, but I think one of the weaker parts of the game is shuffling largely generic dudes around the map. I think if they wanted more of a focus on troops, more national spells (non-summons) with a focus on buffing would've been better. Of course, there's so many good buffs already so it could easily end up redundant...

Along with that, slow to recruit seems largely arbitrary in it's application. And I'm not a fan of locking you entirely out of the recruitment slot-I'm unsure if it would be possible but if it only locked you out of recruiting other mages I think that would be a good change, and would allow for more national commanders to be used (which outside of some rare niche choices I don't think get bought whenever it's otherwise possible to recruit a mage).

And I really, really wish they would've put in some other diplomacy options. The team options are cool, but just not enough.

All that being said, I'm still trying to absorb all the new changes. There seems to be a bunch of new spells along with old spells changed, The new nations all seem pretty interesting. And as I've been messing around more, there's a lot of stuff with old nations that I'm finding has changed (poor MA C'tis losing leadership from all their troops :( ).

When the game's released, if possible I'd like to hop into a newbie-ish style game. Also, do people still do blitzes at all? I remember getting in some previously, would be nice to organize a 6-player (or more...) blitz game sometime.

I actually had a lot more money to gently caress around with. Before you would zero tax your blood provinces, and now you still get a decent chunk of money to counter the less slaves. The more slaves would be better of course but blood is still good.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

rzal posted:

Listened to this, this morning. I was hoping they'd say a bunch of nations names so I could know how to pronounce them. Then they didn't know how to pronounce Berytos.

Also, it sounds like they want to move the game towards a Total war style, real time battle, non province map strategy game. While I would buy a fantasy Total war style game set in the dominions universe, I love the board game-esque maps and hands off battles of the current games, so I hope they don't do this.

From what they said it sounded to me like they just want to make all units on a side act at once, rather than one at a time.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
alansmithee: For what it's worth, order scales and PD multiples of 10 now reduces unrest. Not a huge deal, certainly, but it's there, and is a one-time investment compared to the ongoing loss of auto-taxing.

If you're EA Mictlan, you have a pretty good chance of finding a 'friendly civilization' (jaguar tribe province, for example) with mildly reduced PD costs. I suspect (but would gladly defer to a blood nation player) successive blood hunts in a province are less successful, so if you keep moving around... I expect I am experiencing confirmation bias, however, so take this with a grain of salt.

So, this isn't enough to sustain blood hunting in a province, but if you're occasionally blood hunting, or blood hunting on the move, it can work. A small 10 point investment and a single order scale certainly helps with nationwide unrest issues. That, or the old-fashioned patrol kills that unrest immediately.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 4, 2013

wshngmchn
Jul 14, 2013

wrath pride ignorance
I find that keeping one cheap patrol army for every 3 provinces or so is enough to maintain a healthy income in a blood economy, though you will definitely still have some unrest. I also keep my hunters out of my wealthiest provinces if I can help it. Blood hunting is very flexible so you can adjust your structure as needed.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What should I be doing/recruiting/researching with Berytos at the very start of the game? All their mages look good for mid game for fast research/spamming low level evo/less spammable but better evo/those giant women with 5 paths but no real clear research goal for the first year beyond using my super fort income to bury the world in elephants.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
This province better be worth it.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Getting through that would be bad enough, but oh god the trumpeting! :gonk:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Slaan posted:

Oh man, master enslave on that province would be hilarious. That or the spell that turns everything into critters.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
All of them are slowly starving to death so by the time you got master enslave there would be maybe 2-3 left.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Slaan posted:

Doctor Zero in BOATMURDERED posted:

"What kind of emergencies?"

"Oh, you know, the usual. Sieges. Goblins. Elephants. Well, sieges, Goblins, and Elephants mostly. But the elephants. Oh, gods, the ELEPHANTS! See, sometimes we catch them..." He lowered his voice to a conspiratorial tone, "...you can hear them... in the night... the trumpeting... THE TRUMPETING!"

And then he screamed and ran off.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

LordLeckie posted:

All of them are slowly starving to death so by the time you got master enslave there would be maybe 2-3 left.

A couple assassination spells to kill the commanders the turn you attack would also work.

Jines
Aug 6, 2006
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask such a general question - I just picked up Dom4 and even with reading the wiki, I'm completely snowed under by the variety of civs/strategies/pretenders/blessings/paths. Any advice as to an "easier" or "simpler" approach to get into the game, either in terms of civilizations or pretender strategies? So far I've been kind of flailing around the EA nations, trying to build huge battlefield gods, and getting crushed by the normal AI, which from reading this thread I'm gathering should not be happening.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
I Am Not An Expert, but I think it's a good idea to pick a nation with good national troops. I learned the game with MA Ulm, but you could also go with Marignon and Arcoscephale. Take a Pretender with good Production scales for max resources so you can make more pixelmens. I think Middle Age is also the most noob-friendly age, with Early being more focused on magic(requiring you to learn that) and Late having more blood. But generally, you can't go wrong against the AI if you just march a whole bunch of Black Plate Pikeneers against it.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Plan A: Go EA Niefelheim. Hit End Turn 30 times to build up gold. Buy a bunch of giants. Rampage!
This is not an actual plan, do not do this.

Plan B: Focus on one aspect of the game at a time. Learn how to use your units with armies that have good units first. Pretty much any giant nation, Ulm/Marignon, Ermor/Pythium, etc are all good. This will help you learn placing armies and the overmap, because the AI generally can't stand up to your armies.

Then switch to a simple magical nation, which has heavy paths in one or two areas, especially Fire, Air or Earth. Shinuyama, Marverni and Marignon are good for this. This will let you learn battlefield magic.

Then finally go for your mixed strength nations like Pythium, Tien Ch'i, the Monkeys, etc to pull it all together as well as learn communions, summons, thugs, etc.

Jines
Aug 6, 2006
Thanks! I like that approach - it's really fun trying to make the 'weirder' nations work and have zombies and cannibal giants rampaging around, but getting the basics down might help me survive the first year or two. I had one more question, actually - the most similar game I've played to Dom3/4 before is the Rome: Total War series. Is there as much differentiation in terms of rock/paper/scissors mechanics here? I.E. is there usually one or two all-around 'best' units for most civs, or do you need pikes to deal with cavalry, cavalry to deal with archers, etc? I guess it's harder to map on to some parts of this game, since I don't really know how "giant underwater tentacle thing" fits into that, but any help would be appreciated. This game is really awesome so far, though - the sheer depth of everything is absolutely amazing.

Burnsaber
Jan 16, 2011

I'm a wizard and
I don't pee.
I'm a videogame
I don't recall any real blatant rock/paper/sciccors mechanics in dominions. Flails get a hidden +2 bonus to attack against shields. There are a lot of hard-counters in the spell department (like arrow fend against archers), but I can't think of any in the troop department.

High damage units (greatsword humans, giants) are good against high protection. High encumberance units are sometimes good to counter with chaff, especially battle summon spam (swarm, raise skeletons). Dual wielders clear chaff and low protection HP sponges well. Shielded units are good against missiles.

There usually are few units in a nation that are obviously best for expanding and thus most used, but it helps to pay attention to what units the enemy is wielding.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
One of the best nations for a new player who wants to know about how troops work is Tien Chi, and specifically MA Tien Chi, just because you can really explore the differences that light and heavy armour make to tactical and strategic mobility, as well as unit survivability, and what various weapons are good for.

So I'd give them a go, if I were you.

One of the main things to learn about Dominions generally are the vagaries of the unit scripting system, and why, for example, having a couple of units start at the front of your formation and then dash towards the rear using Guard Commander is a really good way to break up enemy formations (especially archer formations) and lead them towards your troops.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jines posted:

Thanks! I like that approach - it's really fun trying to make the 'weirder' nations work and have zombies and cannibal giants rampaging around, but getting the basics down might help me survive the first year or two. I had one more question, actually - the most similar game I've played to Dom3/4 before is the Rome: Total War series. Is there as much differentiation in terms of rock/paper/scissors mechanics here? I.E. is there usually one or two all-around 'best' units for most civs, or do you need pikes to deal with cavalry, cavalry to deal with archers, etc? I guess it's harder to map on to some parts of this game, since I don't really know how "giant underwater tentacle thing" fits into that, but any help would be appreciated. This game is really awesome so far, though - the sheer depth of everything is absolutely amazing.

There are often best troops for a nation. Like jaguar warriors for Mictlan or Palankasha for Lanka or archers for caelum. While the other stuff can still be useful, it's not the same Rock Paper Scissors on a troop level as it is with total war and some troops are so good/efficient vs what else so available that you might as well just keep cranking out jags forever.

wshngmchn
Jul 14, 2013

wrath pride ignorance

Jines posted:

and getting crushed by the normal AI, which from reading this thread I'm gathering should not be happening.

Not sure how it is for other people, but that's always the case when I start playing a new strategy game. It just takes a bit of time and a lot of reading.

Robocop Horney
Feb 15, 2009

by T. Finninho

Werewhale posted:

I Am Not An Expert, but I think it's a good idea to pick a nation with good national troops. I learned the game with MA Ulm, but you could also go with Marignon and Arcoscephale. Take a Pretender with good Production scales for max resources so you can make more pixelmens. I think Middle Age is also the most noob-friendly age, with Early being more focused on magic(requiring you to learn that) and Late having more blood. But generally, you can't go wrong against the AI if you just march a whole bunch of Black Plate Pikeneers against it.

How do you pick a nation? I picked this up last night and it seems pretty cool and the learning curve isn't quite as steep as I expected, but every time I start a game it seems to assign me a random nation. Is that because I'm playing on a random map or something?

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Photosynaesthesias posted:

How do you pick a nation? I picked this up last night and it seems pretty cool and the learning curve isn't quite as steep as I expected, but every time I start a game it seems to assign me a random nation. Is that because I'm playing on a random map or something?

When you create a new game, there should be a screen where you setup the type and number of nations. Click the word random on that screen to get the full list of nations. Its the "choose participants" screen. You can also set the level of AI and add more nations on this screen.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Photosynaesthesias posted:

When you're in the New Game set-up screen, after picking the map and the Era, it defaults to random. Just click under "Nation" and you can choose whichever one you'd like to play in that era. This is also where you set up teams and AI difficulties/personalities.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I've just been leaving nation selection on random, then trying to figure out what the hell from there.

Gives an incentive to learn new strategies. Seemed to work okay for me in Civ 4.

Some general guides would be nice, the few that are around tend to be very specific. I know it's a complicated game, but an experienced player could look at a nation and see that this mage can cast X, or bless Y would be good. Or even, "these guys suck! I'd better take a blood/death pretender and bootstrap myself into vampires!"

Us new players have no bloody clue at all, it can sometimes leave us floundering!

Robocop Horney
Feb 15, 2009

by T. Finninho
:psyduck: It's so obvious I have no idea how I was missing it, thanks guys.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

tooterfish posted:

I've just been leaving nation selection on random, then trying to figure out what the hell from there.

Gives an incentive to learn new strategies. Seemed to work okay for me in Civ 4.

Some general guides would be nice, the few that are around tend to be very specific. I know it's a complicated game, but an experienced player could look at a nation and see that this mage can cast X, or bless Y would be good. Or even, "these guys suck! I'd better take a blood/death pretender and bootstrap myself into vampires!"

Us new players have no bloody clue at all, it can sometimes leave us floundering!

The problem with random nation selection is that you really can't know what a nation needs from its god until you've looked at its units. What most of us do is have a saved game for each era where we have every nation active and set to human-controlled. That way we can just load up that game and take a peek at whichever nation we want. When you're setting up those games, just accept whatever random chassis is presented for each nation, and set "Starting Provinces" to 3 or 4 so you can get a look at any non-fort recruits each nation might get.

As a general newbie tip, I always say that a dormant god with Dom7, positive income scales, and a x4y4 bless can never do you wrong. It might not be multiplayer-competitive, but you'll be able to get a handle on how the game works.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Slaan posted:

Plan A: Go EA Niefelheim. Hit End Turn 30 times to build up gold. Buy a bunch of giants. Rampage!
This is not an actual plan, do not do this.

Plan B: Focus on one aspect of the game at a time. Learn how to use your units with armies that have good units first. Pretty much any giant nation, Ulm/Marignon, Ermor/Pythium, etc are all good. This will help you learn placing armies and the overmap, because the AI generally can't stand up to your armies.

Then switch to a simple magical nation, which has heavy paths in one or two areas, especially Fire, Air or Earth. Shinuyama, Marverni and Marignon are good for this. This will let you learn battlefield magic.

Then finally go for your mixed strength nations like Pythium, Tien Ch'i, the Monkeys, etc to pull it all together as well as learn communions, summons, thugs, etc.

After you select your Early, Middle, Late Ages, click on "Random" in the first slot "nation" to assign that a nation.
Click on random or <Add New Player> to adjust your AI opponents.

Under player you can cycle through the difficulties.

As the game and manual are not yet released (and the wiki still Dom3 centric, afaik), here's my procedure, roughly 5-30 minutes each.

1. select a nation, ignore pretender setup. Look at nation troops, mage paths, glance at research (you can filter spells with (f)ire, (w)ater, (a)air, a(s)tral, etc). Mostly be overwhelmed by the spells, but taking a good look at the troops. How good are my sacreds? Where are they available, and are any of the commanders thugable? How are my regular troops in comparison to the general standard of the age? (Hint: Caelum and Mictlan armor is laughable). I think of 'average' costs as 10 gold, 10 resources: are most of my troops resource or gold heavy?
  2. Start a new game with an imprisoned pretender and some good scales - maybe a bless. Try expanding with just your troops. See what matches up and what doesn't, how sustainable a push you can manage against the indies. Weapon repel, shields against arrows, solid armor, enough weapon damage, poor attack/defense skill - all these can influence what you can take on.
  3. Start a new game, experiment with Super Combatants supported by research just for the fun of it - pretender, thug chassis...
  4. Actually decide on a rough strategy of scales/research/blesses/etc/rainbow. Nothing specific needed for a casual or SP game, just have a general idea what you want to do. Play. Do something stupid, learn from it.

If you start getting into really competitive mp, that's another thing entirely. Since up until this whole disiciple thing, only one person could win and a whole bunch of everybody else loses. But just go for a casual SP game for a quick build test (does this supercombatant fall flat on its face, can I actually sustain my early expansion), then jump into a more casual Play by email or blitz game if you feel like it. I'm mostly waiting for release and a manual before I jump into MP. This disciple thing sounds like great training wheels since I'm rather rusty and still figuring out everything new.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 5, 2013

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

tooterfish posted:

I'm also new, but I feel like you can't really have a general guide, because the differences between races is not limited to 'gets an improved horse guy in this age, oh and they get slightly more gold.' From what I've seen, you should not only have a good idea about how the race you're playing works, you should also have a plan for how you're going to get to endgame, and what that endgame will be. So, while in Civ you can get by just saying "I'm going to get nukes, and I'm going to nuke EEEEEEEEEVERYTHING AHAHAHAHAHA," (simplified, but it's not too off the mark, I think :v:), in Dominions, you say "I want to get to Wish and start chain-casting it, but to do that I'm going to need to be able to mass produce Clams, and for that I need lots of water/nature mages and Construction, and to actually cast it I'll need a ton of Astral on my pretender, so I'll need these booster items, and..." (Dom 3 example). I'd say that unless you're going for such a super-specific strategy, if you're just learning, just get someone to tell you what x spell does, and if it's generally considered worth it, and then just try it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Speleothing posted:

The problem with random nation selection is that you really can't know what a nation needs from its god until you've looked at its units. What most of us do is have a saved game for each era where we have every nation active and set to human-controlled. That way we can just load up that game and take a peek at whichever nation we want. When you're setting up those games, just accept whatever random chassis is presented for each nation, and set "Starting Provinces" to 3 or 4 so you can get a look at any non-fort recruits each nation might get.
Oh, I restart once I've had a look at all that and tried to figure out what a workable strategy would be.

I just stick to the nation selected for me and try to make it work.

Edit: Tried forever to get Pan's songs to work, they look so good on paper! Just wouldn't happen on the battlefield though.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 5, 2013

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

tooterfish posted:

Oh, I restart once I've had a look at all that and tried to figure out what a workable strategy would be.

I just stick to the nation selected for me and try to make it work.

Something that might help is to look up the old dominions 3 guides. The information will often be out of date, but it will at least give an idea of what the nation's theme or overarching goal is, and will give you some ideas to springboard off of and various useful spells to look into. The most important out of date things are the blesses recommended by the guides - earth and nature have both changed significantly (as have death, air, and to a lesser extent, blood, but those weren't as recommended in the past).

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

tooterfish posted:

Edit: Tried forever to get Pan's songs to work, they look so good on paper! Just wouldn't happen on the battlefield though.

yeah, don't even bother trying to script them - sometimes a dryad or pan will save themselves from indies with a clutch Tune of Fear but it's not something you can plan a strategy around, dryads and pans need gear and higher level buffs to be sent into melee or they'll just die

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

How to play Dominions 4 for newbies:

Pick EA Ermor

Train Hastati
Train Princpe
Train Tritari
Train Equite

Decimate your enemies (this means you should only kill 1/10 of them in this context).

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Also, it's very important to keep your commanders out of harm's way. One unlucky arrow or sword hit can effectively destroy your starting army.

Edit:

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 6, 2013

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

I like that take on a disease event. It might not (directly) kill your population but it sure as heck keeps them from getting much work done :haw:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Here are some ideas about strategy:
1. Dom 10 SC pretender, rush nearest opponent.
2. Sacreds with 20-30 hp and15+str, w9 bless.
3. Sacreds with multiple attacks, f9 bless.
4. Ponymans, e4/6n9 bless.
5. Nation with good elemental mages, rush falling fire/frost/ blade wind/thunder strike, mass mages with a bit of chaff to guard and burn/freeze/shock everything.
6. Nation with astral mages, huge soul slay communions.
7. Blood nations - demon knights, devils or storm demons, astral corruption.
8. Tarts.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Lines of pikes coupled with crossbows work pretty well for expansion due to repel. Lines of elephants (necessary early on for Caelum due to their troops and weapons being kind of poo poo) also work pretty well if you have them, but it's also VERY expensive.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 6, 2013

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a point to taking a magic path to 10? It took me this long to just notice it was doable.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Depends on the path, depends if it's on a pretender or not. It'll never not help with penetration and fatigue. But whether it's worth the cost is another thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
9 is all you'd ever really need unless you really really really REALLY want master enslave to penetrate.

10 Points is just going to be too expensive and just isnt worth the hit to your scales/dominion/sleepyness

LordLeckie fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 8, 2013

• Locked thread