Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

OmegaBR posted:

It very much felt like they were changing their minds about her going to school and we can all see why.

Then again April isn't exactly a complicated character, so if she just up and decides not to do something, then that's pretty much it. Maybe we'll see more of her actually working on animal control stuff rather than school stuff (which I had a sneaking suspicion would have eventually included her meeting a guy more like herself amongst all the perky happy animal people and having a relationship crisis with Andy.)

That or Eagleton has a vet school maybe. It'll be interesting to see how they play the introduction of new, maybe permanent cast members. But it'll be great to see how each copes, that's for sure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

I really enjoyed this episode and am looking forward to the Pawnee/Eagleton merger. Also, learning about Aubrey Plaza's actual meeting with Chris Bosh made my day.

Monteunicorn
Jun 19, 2004
The product placement is getting unbearable. Its like its 20% of the plot now.

kami
Feb 10, 2004

GATTACA!!
GATTACA!!

Monteunicorn posted:

The product placement is getting unbearable. Its like its 20% of the plot now.
What besides the Microsoft bothered you? I noticed that Tom was using a Surface and Donna was holding a Lumia 1020 but then again I'm a tech nerd. Even in this thread earlier someone assumed it was an iPad.

It's not like Donna had a contrived line like "No, let me take the video with the amazing camera ON MY NEW NOKIA LUMIA 1020... POWERED BY MICROSOFT WINDOWS!"

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Yeah the only thing I noticed was the Windows tablet thing and shows have been doing that for ages. Christ, how many shows have people on Macbook Pros or iPads? Too many to count I'd think. Didn't bother me more than usual for US TV :shrug:

Monteunicorn
Jun 19, 2004

kami posted:

What besides the Microsoft bothered you? I noticed that Tom was using a Surface and Donna was holding a Lumia 1020 but then again I'm a tech nerd. Even in this thread earlier someone assumed it was an iPad.

It's not like Donna had a contrived line like "No, let me take the video with the amazing camera ON MY NEW NOKIA LUMIA 1020... POWERED BY MICROSOFT WINDOWS!"

first episode OH WE ARE just taking pictures with our Amazing Cameraphone On Vacation COuld be You!! Lumia 925 avalible now. Oh I am just casually holding my Lumia 1020 in the golden ratio for all my scenes, I have a few pictures I took here notice the quality on the Surface RT, Clickcover optional. Oh look Lenovo Yoga 13,6" im using it to check out my mail facebook and twitter! Check out Hewlett Packard laptops, sleek and sophisticated.

This is from two episodes, its almost as bad as watching "The Internship"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Monteunicorn posted:

first episode OH WE ARE just taking pictures with our Amazing Cameraphone On Vacation COuld be You!! Lumia 925 avalible now. Oh I am just casually holding my Lumia 1020 in the golden ratio for all my scenes, I have a few pictures I took here notice the quality on the Surface RT, Clickcover optional. Oh look Lenovo Yoga 13,6" im using it to check out my mail facebook and twitter! Check out Hewlett Packard laptops, sleek and sophisticated.

None of that happened

Corkscrew
May 20, 2001

Nothing happened. I'm Julius Pepperwood. Let it go.

Monteunicorn posted:

It's you, you're Tom IRL

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
It's pretty obvious the products they use, but it's no more blatant than any other program. I think people just tend to accept iPad as the standard tablet and iPod as the standard music player, so anything else will be more obvious (particularly a brightly colored Lumia.)

Remember, The Office actually had Staples as a major plot device more than once, and that was alongside Easy Button commercials.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Jesus, I thought he was talking about the HBO reference before the meltdown.

HBO joke was even better because Kristen Bell is actually on a Showtime show.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Pawnee probably isn't the fourth fattest town in America anymore! :haw:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Midnight City posted:

Jesus, I thought he was talking about the HBO reference before the meltdown.

HBO joke was even better because Kristen Bell is actually on a Showtime show.

I thought it was a clever line considering you couldn't just substitute "cable TV" for the punchline considering HBO's famous tagline is: It's not TV, it's HBO. It was also a great way to show how completely out of touch the town is.

Pakled posted:

Pawnee probably isn't the fourth fattest town in America anymore! :haw:

They were down to 9th by the end of last season.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Boywhiz88 posted:

They were down to 9th by the end of last season.

Well, they're even lower now. :colbert:

On that line of thought, I wonder if the demographic changes in Pawnee brought about by the annexation of Eagleton would cause them to lose some state or federal subsidies.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I honestly think MS didn't get their money's worth with the product placement. Like others I assumed Ron was shouting into an iPad- if you don't see the interface then a tablet is just a screen. The phones and such struck me as generic.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

OmegaBR posted:

It's pretty obvious the products they use, but it's no more blatant than any other program. I think people just tend to accept iPad as the standard tablet and iPod as the standard music player, so anything else will be more obvious (particularly a brightly colored Lumia.)

Remember, The Office actually had Staples as a major plot device more than once, and that was alongside Easy Button commercials.

Dunder Mifflin is a REAL PAPER COMPANY! It's an actual paper company that exists in real life! You are literally surrounded by "product placement" every second of every day of your life. I do not understand the problem. Having some made up box of cereal marked "FROOTY GLOPS" takes me way out of whatever scene it's in than if it was just a box of fruit loops.

When I see a close up of, say, Tom's phone and it shows the actual iPhone interface, it's normal because I see it EVERY DAY! But when you see something like the made up bullshit they have on Dexter I'm taken right out. And part of the comedy IS the products themselves. Like the HBO joke, or the part where they keep Vining Ron Vining himself trying to get off the grid. It was like in This Is The End, the jokes about the Milky Way are funny specifically BECAUSE it's about a Milky Way, not "a candy bar :geno:".

:argh: Gettin mad about gettin mad about product placement

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Maxwell Lord posted:

I honestly think MS didn't get their money's worth with the product placement. Like others I assumed Ron was shouting into an iPad- if you don't see the interface then a tablet is just a screen. The phones and such struck me as generic.

I knew they weren't using Apple products but I honestly had no clue what they were using. And I'm definitely not less knowledgeable about these things than the average American or person watching this show.

People bitching about product placement is pretty much the last thing I expected to read about when I opened this thread. I'd be shocked if any of you complaining were genuinely happy people in your day to day lives. If you were you wouldn't even bat an eye at this.

edit:

Macaluso posted:

And part of the comedy IS the products themselves. Like the HBO joke, or the part where they keep Vining Ron Vining himself trying to get off the grid. It was like in This Is The End, the jokes about the Milky Way are funny specifically BECAUSE it's about a Milky Way, not "a candy bar :geno:".

Agree with everything you said. No stand-up comedian who has a clue what they're doing would talk about a "bag of candy" instead of "Skittles" and none of them would hesitate to substitute one product for another one whose name either sounds funnier, better, or both. (e.g. "Skittles" is a better choice than "M&M's", for a number of reasons) It adds to the comedy, it doesn't take away from it. It's done all the time but almost nobody will ever notice if you do it right.

Mercaptopropyl fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 5, 2013

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Dunder Mifflin is a REAL PAPER COMPANY! It's an actual paper company that exists in real life! You are literally surrounded by "product placement" every second of every day of your life. I do not understand the problem. Having some made up box of cereal marked "FROOTY GLOPS" takes me way out of whatever scene it's in than if it was just a box of fruit loops.

When I see a close up of, say, Tom's phone and it shows the actual iPhone interface, it's normal because I see it EVERY DAY! But when you see something like the made up bullshit they have on Dexter I'm taken right out. And part of the comedy IS the products themselves. Like the HBO joke, or the part where they keep Vining Ron Vining himself trying to get off the grid. It was like in This Is The End, the jokes about the Milky Way are funny specifically BECAUSE it's about a Milky Way, not "a candy bar :geno:".

:argh: Gettin mad about gettin mad about product placement

Wasn't there a huge argument in the This is the End thread about that loving Milky Way? Jesus that was annoying to read but so funny to watch.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Boywhiz88 posted:

Wasn't there a huge argument in the This is the End thread about that loving Milky Way? Jesus that was annoying to read but so funny to watch.

That was one of the dumbest discussions i've ever seen. The Milky Way wasn't even product placement, the filmmakers did not receive any money for its inclusion in the film, they chose to use it. Some people are idiots that can't get past the fact that characters in fictional films and TV use and talk about real products.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I'm inconsistent with my product placement hate. Sometimes a car will pull right into the screen with a big Lexus logo in your face or something and I'll be annoyed. Other times like on an episode of New Girl last season one of the characters is modeling for a car ad and a lot of people complained about watching a commercial in the middle of the episode but I wasn't bothered at all because it made sense for the character and the scene was funny.

edit: and I didn't even notice any product placement in this weeks P&R

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Microsoft's bloated marketing budget is the only thing keeping this show on the air retards.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

Microsoft's bloated marketing budget is the only thing keeping this show on the air retards.

WRONG. Parks and Rec is what's keeping Microsoft from just collapsing. Its positivity is the center of Redwood morale. Without Parks and Rec, they will cease to exist.

Wandle Cax posted:

That was one of the dumbest discussions i've ever seen. The Milky Way wasn't even product placement, the filmmakers did not receive any money for its inclusion in the film, they chose to use it. Some people are idiots that can't get past the fact that characters in fictional films and TV use and talk about real products.

I wonder how those people functioned for Breaking Bad, especially considering that almost NO ONE gave them money for specifically mentioned or shown products. They just wanted to avoid the bullshit trope of "CIRCLE-Os" cereal.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
I actually thought this was a fantastic episode in a sleeper-hit kind of way. Very few scenes were slow or poorly written, almost every gag was funny, every character except Andy and Jerry got to be themselves writ large in a hilarious way...I agree that April's abrupt decision was the most awkward part, but even that wasn't that bad. I think this episode will stand up on re-watch as one of those eps that might not have crazy memorable quotes, but is a solid 8/10 in every single scene.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
STOP BITCHING ABOUT PRODUCT PLACEMENT.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
This was a good episode. I've been really happy with it all, but I do feel Donna felt a bit forced, just a caricature of her normal self. I hadn't been following the threads much, but when Ann leaves, were they going to bring in new characters, or are we just down two people after this?

Aatrek posted:

Sorry Aatrek, I don't want to buy your goddamned starship. Jesus.

kami
Feb 10, 2004

GATTACA!!
GATTACA!!

Aatrek posted:

Agreed. I am a bit ashamed for taking the bait in the first place :(

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
The most amazing thing about this episode was the meeting table at Eagleton with the live succulents planted in the center. And the glass globes of plants hanging in front of the window! So beautiful...

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Dunder Mifflin is a REAL PAPER COMPANY! It's an actual paper company that exists in real life!

I assumed you were joking but the rest of your post seems to indicate you were serious. In which case: no.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Well you can buy actual Dunder Mifflin paper so close enough :colbert:

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Stop bitching about product placement unless it looks like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQYwFND7rHE

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

the posted:

I thought you guys were kidding about Hawaii 5-0. :stare:

I loved Ron Swanson explaining his Ebony subscription, and Leslie's Powerpoint opening bulletpoints of just "You hosed up. Ha Ha".

And I'm always glad to see Lucy Lawless, too. We just need more of the Swanson family in general.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

the posted:

hahahahahhahah wow. That led me to here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfHuZ5qrYX4

I don't know which is worse. I can understand someone ordering 5 sandwiches, but I can't see a situation where someone says, "Bing it," and someone pulls out their Windows Phone.

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 5, 2013

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
The Bing one is much worse. At least the Subway one engages in a bit of gentle mockery of a fast food brand focusing advertising on weight loss.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

CaptainHollywood posted:

hahahahahhahah wow. That led me to here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfHuZ5qrYX4

I don't know which is worse. I can understand someone ordering 5 sandwiches, but I can't see a situation where someone says, "Bing it," and someone pulls out their Windows Phone.

Even using Bing I feel like most people would just say "Google it".

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Subway has a lot of fun with product placements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaQqj2PmBh4

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Nevvy Z posted:

Even using Bing I feel like most people would just say "Google it".

One of my favorite things to do is pretend that Microsoft has just given up and walk around saying "hey you guys, next time you Google, Google it on Bing!"

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Subway has a lot of fun with product placements.

Hey, it's the hot mom from Modern Family?! :monocle:

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

the posted:

Hey, it's the hot mom from Modern Family?! :monocle:

Yeah, before she was hot.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

the posted:

Look, not everyone can be as subtle about it as T'aquil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fvOg13V5mI

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Yeah, before she was hot.

I think it's just that haircut. It kind of looks like a bad toupee.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

404GoonNotFound posted:

Does Kristen Bell age at all? Ever?

Tiny women are magic.

My best friend is 4 foot 11 and looks pretty much exactly like Kristen and she literally looks like she did when she was 15 even though she's 26 and has had a kid.

She gets mistaken for a child an awful lot.

• Locked thread