Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Why won't anyone think about those who speak American?

Per Chris Hayes the other night, Dana Perino recently traveled to Congo as part of a program called Mercy Ships, which offers all kinds of medical help and treatment to West Africa. She tweeted throughout her journey, one of which showed this:

So that could be an option, Dana, you disingenuous twit.

-edited in quote for new page

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

What is the logical endpoint of her statement, people who don't speak English don't deserve healthcare?

Yes.

The endpoint of all statements by all conservatives is people who aren't white heterosexual Christians don't deserve anything unless they bootstrap past all of the social disadvantages they have and talk poo poo about their own minority group.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Tender Bender posted:

What is the logical endpoint of her statement, people who don't speak English don't deserve healthcare?
No, they deserve healthcare. They just need to go back to whatever country they came from to get it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm not shocked that they made ads out of it, especially considering how little else they have to go on but the context that matters isn't "Harry Reid was actually talking about the piecemeal bills and*sudden snoring*" the context that matters is "Pay no attention to the government shutdown, Democrats literally hate kids with cancer!" or "Harry Reid just said he doesn't care about kids with cancer....okay but you realize the government is shut down right now, yes?"
They haven't I was speaking in hyperbole. I expect it will become an ad.

quote:

t: Even if Harry Reid literally meant what they're accusing him of I still wouldn't trade it for the situation Republicans find themselves in right now.
I don't think you want to be on the side of the soundbite that says you don't care about cancer kids.
It's like real life Thank You for Smoking.
But now I'm learning that even the out of context quote is being misquoted and I don't know what to believe anymore.

OAquinas posted:

There's a big difference between a portal site that is designed for public consumption and intended to operate over a long term having launch-day issues due to traffic, and a private system designed to function for a single, high-capacity day whose load could be predicted and planned for.

Orca's issues are well known, and all of them are a result of shoddy work and planning. The issues behind the healthcare.gov site are less known, but given that the system works at all it's probably more of a capacity issue than a fundamental design problem.

Yea, and apples and oranges are both still fruits. :shrug:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Von Sloneker posted:

Per Chris Hayes the other night, Dana Perino recently traveled to Congo as part of a program called Mercy Ships, which offers all kinds of medical help and treatment to West Africa. She tweeted throughout her journey, one of which showed this:

As someone who has spent alot of time in the hospitals over 20 years, All of the hospitals i have been too us that. its an easy way for doctors to judge how much pain you are in fast, works well with kids.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

pengun101 posted:

As someone who has spent alot of time in the hospitals over 20 years, All of the hospitals i have been too us that. its an easy way for doctors to judge how much pain you are in fast, works well with kids.

I end up using the chart every so often at work and it's much easier to get an answer of how hurt someone feels than asking "How bad do you feel?" and looking for an explanation. I think I remember reading that part of the reason is that the pictures help a person in pain actually figure out how much pain they're in quicker. It's a really useful tool. As are the interpreter phones. High school spanish, and even some of the spanish for the healthcare professional courses, can only get you so far when someone forgot to fill out some paperwork and can't understand it.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Von Sloneker posted:

I'm apparently in moderate pain nearly every waking minute.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

PrinceRandom posted:

I'm apparently in moderate pain nearly every waking minute.

You and the rest of human society. Life sucks.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
10 is me whenever I read this thread

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't think you want to be on the side of the soundbite that says you don't care about cancer kids.

When the alternative is todays Republican party? Yes I do.

As in if I'm choosing between todays Democratic party only it now includes Harry Reid who openly admits he would rather deny funding for cancer trials than let Republicans (who defunded it in the first place) pick and choose which parts of the government they DON'T want to fund OR todays Republican party? I take the Democratic party every time, although I would be saying what the gently caress Harry yikes.

That's a soundbyte stacked up against a real, verifiable, often unapologetic desire to strip funding from all of these face-saving programs while simultaneously fighting for multi-millionaire tax breaks and dumping so much money on the military that they are telling you "No, we don't need this much jesus what are you doing!??!". Nope. No thank you.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 4, 2013

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Von Sloneker posted:

More than likely this is what she was referring to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USNS_Mercy_%28T-AH-19%29

We sent the USNS Mercy to missions of humanitarian relief worldwide on a constant basis. It's literally a floating hospital filled with medical personnel and supplies that can go to any coast in the world.

And Navy Corpsman do use that chart. Everywhere.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So just saw this in the awkward and ugly thread.

It's Alex Jones wearing a lizard mask trying to talk in a snooty British dialect and high as gently caress on drugs or something to think this was any sort of good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QggMgz7_mOo

Also what is it with right wing pundits trying to talk like a Dickens villain? I've heard Limbaugh and Hannity do it too. They all sound retarded and those characters would certainly be Republicans if they existed in the real world so I don't know what the gently caress.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Yes.

The endpoint of all statements by all conservatives is people who aren't white heterosexual Christians don't deserve anything unless they bootstrap past all of the social disadvantages they have and talk poo poo about their own minority group.

Yeah, it's just that I'm used to them thinking that, but using misleading arguments to get to that point, like "I'm just concerned about poor people having their hours reduced to part time status." I just don't see any way to take her statement at even face value as anything other than "Imagine if someone who didn't speak English tried to go to a doctor?!"

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
That Alex Jones video is unsettling as usual. 90% of the time I assume he's a huckster, then along comes something like that and I start feeling unsure about laughing at someone who might be truly imbalanced. Fraud or lunatic? I guess this will be another case of, "WHY CAN'T IT BE BOTH?"

Also, "Here's my good friend, Omabacare!"
:yohoho:

We haven't had a Moment of Master ShakeMark Levin in a while, and this is pretty much five straight minutes of yelling. I suppose since "old white men" is the only reliable voting bloc these guys have left, the WW2 memorial fracas touched a nerve:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/10/02/mark_levin_if_you_lay_one_hand_on_wwii_vets_ill_bring_half_a_million_people_there.html

Or he could just be feigning outrage. No, never.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
I just heard an awesome sting on Sirius Patriot.

"When a black Democrat calls someone 'Uncle Tom', they're not called a racist. When a defense witness in a trial says 'Crazyass cracker' they're not a racist. But when the truth from conservatives, it's a different story in the mainstream media!"

This wasn't even a program host saying this. It was the generic SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY! announcer guy. Setting aside the fact that the person behind this has no clue what testimony under oath is, I find it extremely interesting that the promo never bothers to point out what the "truth" they're not allowed to say is.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Cracker means something entirely different in Florida. Why no one in the media bothered to point that out...

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Von Sloneker posted:

That Alex Jones video is unsettling as usual. 90% of the time I assume he's a huckster, then along comes something like that and I start feeling unsure about laughing at someone who might be truly imbalanced. Fraud or lunatic? I guess this will be another case of, "WHY CAN'T IT BE BOTH?"

He's great at constructing just the right kind of boogeymen for the crazies in the US to point to for all the nation's problems. I honestly think the guy is a really good actor who figures he's already made mad bank off the nutcases, so now he's just seeing how loopy he can be without people catching on.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

miscellaneous14 posted:

He's great at constructing just the right kind of boogeymen for the crazies in the US to point to for all the nation's problems. I honestly think the guy is a really good actor who figures he's already made mad bank off the nutcases, so now he's just seeing how loopy he can be without people catching on.

I think it's a mistake to assume that all accomplished people think about stuff constantly and are forced to choose conclusions from the flow chart we're creating. Alex might pass his entire work day without having a single distinct thought condensate on his brain. He could run his whole work day like you run a .exe. He may then finish up, get in the car, flip on NPR to find out what the gently caress is happening in the world his actual body occupies, go home and behave utterly normally. The madness of his life need not ever occur to him. Whatever you do is your work, if you don't get fired you keep doing it, if the checks get bigger you do it harder.

Or he may be totally off the rails but also possessing a savant's interest in fat checks and being a millionaire. I don't know, I'm not the government. I don't have nanobot cameras inside the man's eyeballs. Good guy for a biopic, no doubt.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I know this has been posted in this thread before, but it's still a classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODZE5peUfWQ

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Vriess posted:

More than likely this is what she was referring to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USNS_Mercy_%28T-AH-19%29

We sent the USNS Mercy to missions of humanitarian relief worldwide on a constant basis. It's literally a floating hospital filled with medical personnel and supplies that can go to any coast in the world.

And Navy Corpsman do use that chart. Everywhere.

Haha, what the gently caress? At least google the term. Mercy Ships are evangelical-christian megachurches on water where they have people with no medical training pull teeth for five weeks until they go back to suburban Texas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercy_Ships

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I know this thread is about extreme right-wingers, but can someone explain the NRO's Robert Costa to me? The dude is an editor for that site, but I've seen his reporting, and him doing dozens of interviews on MSNBC, and you'd have no idea this dude was even a conservative, let alone one who helps run one of the biggest conservative outlets out there. Same with Ramesh Panooru.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

miscellaneous14 posted:

I'm still of the vein that he's a Rush Limbaugh-style 'True Believer' who doesn't actually believe what he's pushing. He makes quite a bit of money off hawking DVDs about world takeover and 'non-hybrid seeds' for survivalists.

Interesting fact: he actually has screentime in 'A Scanner Darkly', basically playing as himself. It's kind of bizarre just how close to his radio programming his in-movie lines got.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Mr Interweb posted:

I know this thread is about extreme right-wingers, but can someone explain the NRO's Robert Costa to me? The dude is an editor for that site, but I've seen his reporting, and him doing dozens of interviews on MSNBC, and you'd have no idea this dude was even a conservative, let alone one who helps run one of the biggest conservative outlets out there. Same with Ramesh Panooru.

Costa's one of those old-school Republicans who is a dick, but he's not a complete nutbar.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

Maybe because if you have a certain political orientation that doesn't mean you turn into an instant idiotic twat? People like him or David Weigel cram down their own views (or put it under typically cynical "Washington is totally bullshit" veneer) and do their jobs, and more power to them.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Mr Interweb posted:

Ponnuru is a total nutbar. Have you never seen him on any normal show?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Also what is it with right wing pundits trying to talk like a Dickens villain? I've heard Limbaugh and Hannity do it too. They all sound retarded and those characters would certainly be Republicans if they existed in the real world so I don't know what the gently caress.

Probably because they haven't figured out that they are real-life western Dickens villains.

See, when we want to sound like we're heartless and vile here in the US, we sometimes talk in a whiny peevish poor-hating college preppy voice or try to sound like we're more roast beef than human being.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 5, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

comes along bort posted:

I have to agree. He's bizarre. I mean, yeah, he will actually split hairs with even nuttier nutbars like Derbyshire, but he's still riding in the short bus.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Hur hur Obama so out of touch!
-Guy who is ranting over shutdown not effecting them personally.

Von Sloneker posted:

We haven't had a Moment of Master ShakeMark Levin in a while, and this is pretty much five straight minutes of yelling. I suppose since "old white men" is the only reliable voting bloc these guys have left, the WW2 memorial fracas touched a nerve:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/10/02/mark_levin_if_you_lay_one_hand_on_wwii_vets_ill_bring_half_a_million_people_there.html

Or he could just be feigning outrage. No, never.

He's so hilarious. "WE NAME LAWS AFTER THE EMPEROR NOW? WHAT IS THIS SOVIET RUSSIA?" I wonder, Mr Shake, who exactly is responsible for calling it Obamacare?

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

J.A.B.C. posted:

Interesting fact: he actually has screentime in 'A Scanner Darkly', basically playing as himself. It's kind of bizarre just how close to his radio programming his in-movie lines got.

He also has some crazy rants in Waking Life. Both excellent movies, but makes me wonder if Linklater is just as crazy.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

HootTheOwl posted:

He's so hilarious. "WE NAME LAWS AFTER THE EMPEROR NOW? WHAT IS THIS SOVIET RUSSIA?" I wonder, Mr Shake, who exactly is responsible for calling it Obamacare?

I really want the Democrats / Obama to start trolling these people, and see if they can bring them around to literally arguing for policies of the current Democratic party. They already kind of did with the Syria thing, and now there're rants from these guys about the wealth gap in the US as a bad thing.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.

Phone posted:

I know this has been posted in this thread before, but it's still a classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODZE5peUfWQ

Not to turn this into an Alex Jones youtube thread, but nothing beats this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feRD9qCJtM8

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Aliquid posted:

Haha, what the gently caress? At least google the term. Mercy Ships are evangelical-christian megachurches on water where they have people with no medical training pull teeth for five weeks until they go back to suburban Texas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercy_Ships

Haha, I don't think you even looked at that link. The USNS Mercy is a Navy hospital ship, not a charity christian ship.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Ramadu posted:

Haha, I don't think you even looked at that link. The USNS Mercy is a Navy hospital ship, not a charity christian ship.

The fox news lady was on the christian missionary ship, not the navy vessel.

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/the-five/content/follow-dana-perinos-mercy-ships-mission

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

Hur hur Obama so out of touch!
-Guy who is ranting over shutdown not effecting them personally.

Oh my god I hope Mark Levin stays angry over this- he's probably my favorite RWM nutjob to listen to going nuts, due in no small part to the Master Shake thing, but he's just so bombastic about everything :allears:

Alright general question here- how hosed would the GOP be without their pet media machine constantly spreading propaganda for them? I feel like they would be more or less dead in the water.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

Alright general question here- how hosed would the GOP be without their pet media machine constantly spreading propaganda for them? I feel like they would be more or less dead in the water.

They would be completely dead. As it is, they can completely campaign on shutting the government down, spend months talking it up, and STILL have 30 plus percent of the country believe it's Obammy's fault when they follow through on it.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Monkey Fracas posted:

Oh my god I hope Mark Levin stays angry over this- he's probably my favorite RWM nutjob to listen to going nuts, due in no small part to the Master Shake thing, but he's just so bombastic about everything :allears:

I recently learned that you can get the mark Levin podcast on your phone daily with no commercials. This news hasn't been good for my mental health. I fell asleep listening to it the other night and had the angriest dreams

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Monkey Fracas posted:

Remember the Maine! To Hell with Spain!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

comes along bort posted:

Ponnuru? You sure you're not confusing him with that other, far crazier Indian right-winger? The one that made that stupid movie about Obama last year?

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Nf3 posted:

Rush's material is just write about the Democrats/Obama all the bad stuff the GOP/Tea Party is doing, but does he really believe in it?

Hey, these are the people who were surprised when Romney lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Aw gently caress, now my parents believe that "they moved the WMDs to Syria" nonsense. :cripes: