Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

DrunkPanda posted:

What would have happened if you had run over Michael with the car?

It'll pull his hospital fee out of the current character's money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I kind of liked the character creation. My guy ended up looking like me if I spent 7 hours a day doing illegal activities and heroin.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
When does Redwood go up after the 2nd assassination mission? I got the 80% return out of Debonair and reinvested it in Redwood, slept at least 8 times and it's like +.04%. Not the weekend or anything.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
This is a stupid pet theory I came up with on the spot... but maybe it's tied to when the game world recognizes it by playing the Weazel News radio blurb? And instead of sleeping you should be driving?

Robocop Horney
Feb 15, 2009

by T. Finninho

KDdidit posted:

When does Redwood go up after the 2nd assassination mission? I got the 80% return out of Debonair and reinvested it in Redwood, slept at least 8 times and it's like +.04%. Not the weekend or anything.

I think the patch that came with GTAO removed Redwood's price jump, I reloaded several times after that mission and even waited through 48 (well, more like 120!) hours in realtime instead of sleeping through them and never saw my profit go above 0.17%

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Maybe this was answered as of a few patches ago, but how DO I acquire cars in single player and actually keep them? I'm halfway through the single player game and everyone is still in their initial car, just because any other car I get is gone every time I turn around. I mean, I can put them in the garage, but as soon as I use them they will be gone, so they just sit there while I use my initial cars.

edit: When I select a character they are usually standing near their initial car, does it always stay their initial car no matter what I do?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 5, 2013

Robocop Horney
Feb 15, 2009

by T. Finninho

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe this was answered as of a few patches ago, but how DO I acquire cars in single player and actually keep them? I'm halfway through the single player game and everyone is still in their initial car, just because any other car I get is gone every time I turn around. I mean, I can put them in the garage, but as soon as I use them they will be gone, so they just sit there while I use my initial cars.

The cars you're using should be parked outside your house after you abandon them. I'm not sure how exactly this works because sometimes they are and sometimes they won't, sometimes they will disappear and then randomly re-appear several real-life days later. You can also check the Impound lot (car icon on the map), you may be able to pull some of your old vehicles out of impound.

Captain Snaps
Jul 27, 2003

Maintol!

Photosynaesthesias posted:

I think the patch that came with GTAO removed Redwood's price jump, I reloaded several times after that mission and even waited through 48 (well, more like 120!) hours in realtime instead of sleeping through them and never saw my profit go above 0.17%

Nope, I did my assassination missions after the patch and it worked for me.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

The Casualty posted:

One of those is at the top of a very, very tall crane by the under-construction skyscraper downtown. I didn't have a helicopter so I spent what felt like 20 minutes climbing ladders. Seems like a perfect place to insert the Snake Eater theme.

Haha, yeah. I'd already done the parachute jump up there and was absolutely 100% thrilled that I got to go up there again, definitely.

While letter scrap hunting in the desert near the Sandy Shores airstrip, I had the random encounter where you're lured to an empty car, only to be blindsighted by some hick who proceeds to leave you drugged and in your underwear on the train tracks. That certainly... erm, coloured things a bit. :stare:

I've found myself wishing on occasion for some spare cars to hitch out in the wilderness, like San Andreas had (which caused the "ghost car" and all that). It mostly came to mind when I was in the swamp just south of the army base, especially since the taxis you can phone for seem to have trouble sometimes going off-road. That aside, that particular area is really nice-looking. It seemed to have some fairly unique sound effects and wildlife, which is nice since 95% of players probably aren't likely to ever go there.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Most people playing this game seem to be busy playing online/desperately trying to get online, but has anyone made any progress to discovering "The Secret", if there actually is one? The possibility of there being a jetpack hidden somewhere in the game really excites me but I don't have the time or patience to try literally everything there is to do in this game.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I've been getting online fairy consistently, but only a couple pubbies ever want to do anything much more than run around robbing liquor stores. If anyone actually wants to do a string of missions, I'm on PS3, PSN is Sacked-Stig.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
After countless tries driving around on the airfield hoping for a cargobob to spawn, I finally bought one and with great difficulties got my sub to the Alamo Sea. There I dropped it, landed the helicopter on the shore, and when I turned around the sub had despawned :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Casualty posted:

One of those is at the top of a very, very tall crane by the under-construction skyscraper downtown. I didn't have a helicopter so I spent what felt like 20 minutes climbing ladders. Seems like a perfect place to insert the Snake Eater theme.

There actually is a mission that can take you up there so you're not just doing it on your own time.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The cars you're using should be parked outside your house after you abandon them. I'm not sure how exactly this works because sometimes they are and sometimes they won't, sometimes they will disappear and then randomly re-appear several real-life days later. You can also check the Impound lot (car icon on the map), you may be able to pull some of your old vehicles out of impound.
Yeah, I know that they go to impound, but recovering cars of mine that end up there by taking a cab there, grabbing the car, and then driving it back home or to the garage, over and over again, for every character independently, takes loving forever. It's hard for me to believe that that's the way it was intentionally designed.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
Despite being a multimillionaire, Trevor continues to scavenge in trash cans for food. He is truly a hipster.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I know that they go to impound, but recovering cars of mine that end up there by taking a cab there, grabbing the car, and then driving it back home or to the garage, over and over again, for every character independently, takes loving forever. It's hard for me to believe that that's the way it was intentionally designed.
Bonus points if the cars in impound are not the ones you left behind. Nothing like upgrading some semi-rare sports car, "losing it", then finding some random clown car (Weeny Issi) impounded :haw:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I've found myself wishing on occasion for some spare cars to hitch out in the wilderness, like San Andreas had (which caused the "ghost car" and all that). It mostly came to mind when I was in the swamp just south of the army base, especially since the taxis you can phone for seem to have trouble sometimes going off-road. That aside, that particular area is really nice-looking. It seemed to have some fairly unique sound effects and wildlife, which is nice since 95% of players probably aren't likely to ever go there.

I very much wanted to find an airboat in that swamp.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I was running from the cops on foot the other day and one said, "we can't catch him! He must be on PCP or something!"

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I went thrift shopping in Philly today and ended up in a... more run down neighborhood than most. Not because of the people or racism or anything, but because on the side of three housing buildings I could see murals to dead people... the first being an Irish man who died which reminded me of GTA IV, and the other being a list of over two dozen people. I'm not trying to make a joke out of their tragedy, but I'm just setting up the real joke (which is on me) because I did feel unsafe in this neighborhood.

I ask my friend if he has played GTA V, he said only for an hour but that it was run aside from the Ballas killing him.... a loving car with purple tinted windows drives by and I almost drop to the floor.

We joke about this, five minutes later I ask him if he unlocked Trevor.. from behind a chain link fence, police tapped down the whole street, a shirtless man with a bald spot just peeks out and stares at us.

Moral of the story is, gentrification is bad and that video games don't cause violence... poor city planning or some poo poo does. I'm not an expert on morality. The funny part of the story however is that in all my life GTA never made me feel more violent- however it did show me whats wrong with media through satire and help me keep my anxiety disorder from going into panic mode by laughing off a really uncomfortable (for me) and tragic (for the community) atmosphere.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
So yesterday I finally decided to give online on PS3 a try, got in, did all the intro BS and a mission or two after.

Came back today, and...character was deleted.

loving A, had to do all this poo poo over again.

Why isn't there a "hey, I've already done this, just make me level 2 and skip me to just past the first race" option? Like...skipping intros/tutorials should be an option in every loving game, yet it seems to only exist in like 10% of them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I got the price jump after the GTA:O patch (but before the latest patch). :shrug:

If it’s any consolation, following the Vice Assassination, buy FAC after selling FRT. The guide I looked at left that part out, but I got I think 100% profit from it. It’s on the BAWSAQ, so it’s less likely to have been patched out.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:

Beastie posted:

Online is working great for me. Pretty glad I waited until today instead spazzing out all week like some other folks.

I've not been able to get online since launch day and the day after. Ever since I can't even connect to Rockstars Services let alone the loving cloud server to get in a game, I spent over an hour earlier on trying whilst performing the menial tasks.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
If I haven't connected online yet (not even downloaded a patch,) can I buy Pisswasser stock at absurdly low prices and then download the patches to reap the rewards?

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

abaddonis posted:

If I haven't connected online yet (not even downloaded a patch,) can I buy Pisswasser stock at absurdly low prices and then download the patches to reap the rewards?

Can you even access BAWSAQ without going online?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
In Online, when I bring up the mini-menu thing with 'down,' next to my name is a tag that says "BOYS."

What is that, and how do I get it to not say "BOYS"?

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:

DrBouvenstein posted:

In Online, when I bring up the mini-menu thing with 'down,' next to my name is a tag that says "BOYS."

What is that, and how do I get it to not say "BOYS"?

It's the Crew you're in. Go to social club and remove yourself from the Crew.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Oh...I'm in Lords and Ladies for goons...their tag says BOYS?

LAME!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Rapdawg posted:

I went thrift shopping in Philly today and ended up in a... more run down neighborhood than most. Not because of the people or racism or anything, but because on the side of three housing buildings I could see murals to dead people... the first being an Irish man who died which reminded me of GTA IV, and the other being a list of over two dozen people. I'm not trying to make a joke out of their tragedy, but I'm just setting up the real joke (which is on me) because I did feel unsafe in this neighborhood.

I ask my friend if he has played GTA V, he said only for an hour but that it was run aside from the Ballas killing him.... a loving car with purple tinted windows drives by and I almost drop to the floor.

We joke about this, five minutes later I ask him if he unlocked Trevor.. from behind a chain link fence, police tapped down the whole street, a shirtless man with a bald spot just peeks out and stares at us.

Moral of the story is, gentrification is bad and that video games don't cause violence... poor city planning or some poo poo does. I'm not an expert on morality. The funny part of the story however is that in all my life GTA never made me feel more violent- however it did show me whats wrong with media through satire and help me keep my anxiety disorder from going into panic mode by laughing off a really uncomfortable (for me) and tragic (for the community) atmosphere.

Did you go to the pop up flea in northern libs today? I wanted to but I was at a hackathon at 4th and girard.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Is there a way to crouch or slide under stuff? I thought I remembered a way, but I can't find any details on how to do it (360 controls), maybe I'm remembering it wrong. I don't mean the slight crouch you do when you go into stealth mode.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Well, you can jump and press the melee button to ragdoll but you can't stay laying down.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

muscles like this? posted:

There actually is a mission that can take you up there so you're not just doing it on your own time.

Are you referring to the base jumping location up there? Because that's how I got down :v:

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

The Casualty posted:

Are you referring to the base jumping location up there? Because that's how I got down :v:

There's a mission to assassinate someone, during which the elevators are operational. I'm not sure if you can reach the crane ladder from the roof. I choppered up there, and the structure blocked off the ladder wherever I saw a place to land.

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

Has a date been posted for the release of the award winning iFruit app for Android?

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

Has a date been posted for the release of the award winning iFruit app for Android?

"Soon"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sono posted:

There's a mission to assassinate someone, during which the elevators are operational. I'm not sure if you can reach the crane ladder from the roof. I choppered up there, and the structure blocked off the ladder wherever I saw a place to land.

You can but its kind of tricky and involves walking across some girders. There's a parachute up there and I got out of that mission by jumping off the crane.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

You mean the "I would take a poo poo on it if it wasn't in my iphone and I don't want to get poo poo on my iphone" award?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Can you replay heists to do the different plans?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

muscles like this? posted:

Can you replay heists to do the different plans?

Yep!

cams
Mar 28, 2003

CharlestonJew posted:

Most people playing this game seem to be busy playing online/desperately trying to get online
Man, online is still messed up? I waited until today to try it thinking I could get in no problem 4 days later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It wouldn't be a big issue except that online is loving fun and has a whole bunch of interface improvements that single player doesn't have.

edit: Trevor just spontaneously started using a new motorcycle while on a mission, it was still with him when the mission was over. How can I tell whether the game considers it "his"?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 6, 2013

• Locked thread