Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

Hawkeye is "An Avenger's Day Off".
The other Avengers don't GET days off. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

redbackground posted:

The other Avengers don't GET days off. :colbert:

Hrm... I guess Doc found out about the yam burritos pre-Avengers.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

prefect posted:

Hawkeye is "An Avenger's Day Off".

Hawkeye skips training and drives Coulson's flying car Lola to Chicago with Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch where he has many adventures (including singing "Twist and Shout" on a parade float) and all the while he has to avoid Nick Fury who is trying to bust him for truancy.

It'd look something like this.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 4, 2013

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The bizarrely bad art of various Sonic comics has been mentioned before.
Sonic #156.

Hurr.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Choco1980 posted:

Stuff like those Mojoworld stories, and the recently posted Illuminati "bro-talk" session make me wish we had some sort of regular "goofing" anthology title. I don't mean like a "wacky" Brand-Ecch! style parody fest, but rather just little funny and/or weird or whatever small continuity-be-damned pieces by whomever, of the same sort of flavor as got collected years back in the "Bizarro Comics" books. Just a quiet little title put aside strictly for the fun of it, for everyone involved. Considering lately (especially at Marvel, apparently) creators have been starting to remember that comic books are fun, and superheroes are kinda absurd at their heart, I think it'd fly over well in today's industry.

Well, isn't that kinda Superior Foes of Spider-Man?

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

SONIC, START THE REACTOR. FREE MOBIUS.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
When your major audience is furries you go with the flow, man.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure you can trace all modern furry fandom back to Princess Sally from the Sonic cartoon (and that comic) and possibly Gadget from Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Metal Loaf posted:

I'm pretty sure you can trace all modern furry fandom back to Princess Sally from the Sonic cartoon (and that comic) and possibly Gadget from Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers.

You forgot Tiny Toons. :(

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Disney's Robin Hood. Honestly, as long as there has been the concept of talking humanimals there have probably been people who want to gently caress them.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mr. Maltose posted:

Disney's Robin Hood. Honestly, as long as there has been the concept of talking humanimals there have probably been people who want to gently caress them.

I knew there was a big one I was missing. I think I remember reading someone talking about how the Robin Hood thing might be the closest thing to a bona fide source of furry fandom as it exists today.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Say Nothing posted:

Sonic #156.

Hurr.

Is Sonic about to dash or is he about to skank?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Adventure time #13.

We need more Adventure Time and Bravest Warriors in this thread.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Silver Surfer Vol. 3 #35

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Avulsion posted:

Source is Astonishing Tales - Bobby and Sam in Mojoworld 1-6

I wonder if they made the Anti-Regs wear the confederate uniforms just to see all the black heroes in confederate uniforms.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing posted:

Sonic #156.

I just noticed the artist drew a t-shirt under Sally's vest to make her look slightly less naked than usual.

On the subject of Sonic covers, Sonic #134 parodies of the classic Amazing Spider-Man #50 cover.

Mind you, there seem to be at least a dozen homages to this Spider-man cover.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing posted:

Mind you, there seem to be at least a dozen homages to this Spider-man cover.

It has to be one of the most homaged; I remember seeing a Simpsons one with Bart walking away from Bartman.

Only Uncanny X-Men #136 is more frequently homaged.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Metal Loaf posted:

It has to be one of the most homaged; I remember seeing a Simpsons one with Bart walking away from Bartman.

Uncanny X-men 141 has to also be up there along with Action Comic 1

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Giant-Size X-Men #1 as well, come to think of it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Justice League [International] #1 gets a lot, too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

For covers that get referenced way more than you'd expect (as opposed to the endless Action #1 and FF #1 homages), Uncanny X-Men 100 comes up a lot, too.

Speaking of X-Men covers in that area, how come no one welcomes people to the X-Men anymore with "hope you survive the experience"? I've always wanted a letterer to slip that phrase in Latin onto the school's sign...

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Metal Loaf posted:

Even DC parodied this, and I thought Crisis on infinite Earths was the original source of that image.

Speaking of homages, the covers of the Adventure Time comic Marceline and the scream queens were based off famous album covers, which was pretty cool.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Say Nothing posted:

Even DC parodied this, and I thought Crisis on infinite Earths was the original source of that image.

Speaking of homages, the covers of the Adventure Time comic Marceline and the scream queens were based off famous album covers, which was pretty cool.

Madman also did that
Madman Atomic 16

Madman Atomic 15

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
drat, how could we forget this famous cover and all it's variations.

And there are many, many more.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Metal Loaf posted:

I was going to correct you, until I realized that the famous Crisis on Infinite earth cover with Superman/Supergirl came later. Now I don't know what's an homage to what.

Edit ^ Just saw the post above me.

roffels fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 6, 2013

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
The two IDW Transformers series did it too:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I had to do some googling before I recognized that first one.
And another...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Sonic comics love homage covers.

Etc etc etc x 100.

Metal Loaf posted:

... and guess what Sonic did for issue 136? :v:

Say Nothing posted:

Sonic #156.

Hurr.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was also a homage to a classic cover but I can't quite place it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

That X-Men cover itself belongs in this thread. What is Beast swinging from? What is Jean doing? What is Angel using to attack Magneto? What good are Iceman's snowballs? And did he actually miss or is Magneto able to deflect ice as well? So many questions.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 6, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The MSJ posted:

What is Angel using to attack Magneto?

A goddamn bazooka, of course! The best mutant power of all.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The MSJ posted:

That X-Men cover itself belongs in this thread. What is Beast swinging from? What is Jean doing? What is Angel using to attack Magneto? What good are Iceman's snowballs? And did he actually miss or is Magneto able to deflect ice as well? So many questions.
It's come up in the thread before, but at that point Magneto could manipulate literally any material he wished as long as he monologued a magnetism metaphor while doing it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Say Nothing posted:

drat, how could we forget this famous cover and all it's variations.

I always wondered what the hell Mr. Fantastic was doing with the ropes. Did the tangle himself into them accidentally? Did someone toss the ropes at him? Did the monster have rope? He doesn't even look tied up for that matter, more like someone lazily just wrapped it around him. Way to go, genius.

And let's be realistic, we all know what the most homaged cover is

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Oct 6, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Then there was the time that the fresh new DC artist John Byrne decided to pay homage to the famous Marvel artist John Byrne

:v:

F4 #249 (whose cover has not only been redone by Byrne himself but many other artists) also includes this panel:

It's like a homage Babushka doll.

Edit: maybe we need a homage thread for all these, there's an almost endless supply of them

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 6, 2013

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit: maybe we need a homage thread for all these, there's an almost endless supply of them

Yeah it's not a bad idea. Especially given the volume of homages there are.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DarkCrawler posted:

I always wondered what the hell Mr. Fantastic was doing with the ropes. Did the tangle himself into them accidentally? Did someone toss the ropes at him? Did the monster have rope? He doesn't even look tied up for that matter, more like someone lazily just wrapped it around him. Way to go, genius.

I was almost certain there was an edition of Comic Book Legends Revealed which explained why he was tied up, but it turns out I was mistaken, it was just about some of the background characters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Going off that link, I had always wondered what was going on with that Grant/Zeck Punisher miniseries numbering. It goes 1 of 4, 2 of 5, 3 of 4, 4 of 4, 5 of 5. Turns out it was just lazy printing where they were used to everything limited being 4 issues long that they just copied and pasted the standard "of 4" limited headline. They fixed it for the second issue but didn't bother for the rest.

Jacquismo
Dec 1, 2003
~~HEY GUYS I'M ON THE RHINOCEROS I MEAN INTERNET~~

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah it's not a bad idea. Especially given the volume of homages there are.

There's an overview of some of the most famous ones here: http://www.comicvine.com/homage-covers/4015-43734/

Shame that most of the gallery links appear to be broken.
[Edit: Actually, you can get to them manually from the Images tab.]

Jacquismo fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 6, 2013

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Say Nothing posted:

I liked the Love and Rockets homage

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

Holy poo poo I love these! Especially for the inclusion of Liz Phair, but especially especially for having both Sleater-Kinney and Bikini Kill.

E:

And a Love and Rockets cover. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Astonishing X-Men has some neat ones:

• Locked thread