Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

DynamicSloth posted:

Smart move on Clinton's part, CNN always falls over themselves to find the truth in the middle when the RNC starts one of their "working the ref" campaigns.

quote:

He called the decision to can the project "a victory for the Clintons and for the money machines that both political parties have become."

This little comment makes it pretty clear that the author was intending on doing a hit-piece that uses the Clintons to drat the American political parties for being money machines. While that might be a valid point (though targeting the Democrats instead of the Republicans for that is pretty eye-rolling) I can't see any upside for the left to let it go forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Kaal posted:

This little comment makes it pretty clear that the author was intending on doing a hit-piece that uses the Clintons to drat the American political parties for being money machines. While that might be a valid point (though targeting the Democrats instead of the Republicans for that is pretty eye-rolling) I can't see any upside for the left to let it go forward.

And it's not that I disagree with him going after the Clinton's with this since Hillary is a shoe-in for running right now. 1 year of research, a few months of filming / editing, and he's got almost a full year to shop around trying to get the most money from studio's for them to market and release it right as the election season is getting underway to get the most out of their return. The closest potential republican candidate right now is Christie and other than being an rear end in a top hat and Sandy most of the country doesn't know / care about him yet which means a ton less money from studios if he tried to sell them on his story.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Maybe she isn't running but took the RNC boycott threat seriously and killed the documentary to get another embarrassing GOP debate.

Malabolg
Apr 21, 2010

SedanChair posted:

Well I'm convinced. A policy wonk is born.

With the glasses, Perry reminds me of the insane cult leader from Dead Space 3. Not nearly as entertaining, unfortunately.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

crowfeathers posted:

I mean this very seriously: why wouldn't he run? He's retired from the governorship, and it can't hurt to get some sweet PAC money before he goes on to an inevitable speaking job or FOX position. He probably won't come close to winning, but he'll make millions anyway.

I guess I give him too much credit. I would've thought he would have too much pride to risk that embarrassment again. Dude is used to winning and he sure as hell doesn't want to be President.

Does he have a book coming out in 2016?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sir Tonk posted:

Does he have a book coming out in 2016?
No, but he's releasing his own line of bespoke messenger bags and eyewear, under the new brand Niggerhead, for the discerning paleoconservative.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I have a question about the caucus states. During the 2012 primaries, a bunch of Paul supporters got themselves elected as Republican county and state chairs. Are they still there? How much can they do to support Rand's campaign?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The X-man cometh posted:

I have a question about the caucus states. During the 2012 primaries, a bunch of Paul supporters got themselves elected as Republican county and state chairs. Are they still there? How much can they do to support Rand's campaign?

Here's a good update on that from August. The Paulites were forced out in Minnesota and Nevada. They are still in power in Iowa and Maine, but are playing nice with the RNC now. Thanks to the rules change the RNC made in 2012 (see the links in the OP) the caucus delegate strategy can't be used again in 2016. I think the biggest effect they'll have is a long-term push on changing the party platform at the convention to favor more of the Paulite agenda. They managed to get anti-drone and pro-raw milk blanks on the platform in 2012, so we might not be too far away from a GOP platform calling for an end to the Federal Reserve. That'll be fun.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
California GOP stayin' classy with some Hillary buttons.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Are those official?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Here's to more years of a democratic super-majority! :getin:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

hobbesmaster posted:

Are those official?
Nah, it's just someone's merchandise booth. I presume he'll also sell you a Liberal Hunting Permit or a "One Big rear end Mistake, America" bumper sticker.

2016 gonna be a blizzard of misogyny

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

FMguru posted:

Nah, it's just someone's merchandise booth. I presume he'll also sell you a Liberal Hunting Permit or a "One Big rear end Mistake, America" bumper sticker.

2016 gonna be a blizzard of misogyny

Especially if Condi runs

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

That joke is decades old, I saw it in LF during the 2008 campaign.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Especially if Condi runs

Condi is far to close to reasonable to have a snowball's chance at the nomination. Huntsman was a sure bet in comparison.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Especially if Condi runs

With a couple bush jokes and severe recantations she might survive a few swings in the democratic primary now that the party is basically 90's republicans, but if you're thinking GOP she would get primaried so fast that it wouldn't even be worth it for the book promotion.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
She's never going to run, but if she did the establishment would move heaven and earth to make sure she's alone in the primary. They're never going to find another black lady with her name recognition again. The constant bleating of "A buh buh Democrats are the real racists/misogynists!" would overpower a Motorhead concert.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Joementum posted:

I genuinely do not know which of those buttons I hate more. The first one is horrible and sexist, but the second is just so incredibly incorrect and poorly-phrased. I'm glad I can't see past "A Womans" on the bottom.

comes along bort posted:

She's never going to run, but if she did the establishment would move heaven and earth to make sure she's alone in the primary. They're never going to find another black lady with her name recognition again. The constant bleating of "A buh buh Democrats are the real racists/misogynists!" would overpower a Motorhead concert.

I feel like even the GOP leadership would realize Condi would never be able to win the actual election, especially against Hillary. Paradoxically, trying to prove they're not racists/sexists by running a minority would only make them look more so when a good portion of their base either doesn't turn out or votes third-party or something.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Forget the twilight zone we'd be in if the GOP got a black woman (who must contend against GOP rumors that she is a homosexual) all the way to the general against a white woman. That Iraq War smell is still all over her and neocons like to run with the idea that Bush foreign policy was all her fault. Not to mention that any even remotely pragmatic conservative does not want to re-litigate that one in 2016 or any other year.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

Joementum posted:

Let me guess, is that partially visible bottom-left one something like "A woman's place is in the home, not the White House"? That'd appeal to misogynists and to people with brains permanently stuck in the 1950s, which is like 90% of the Republican party right there.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Let me guess, is that partially visible bottom-left one something like "A woman's place is in the home, not the White House"? That'd appeal to misogynists and to people with brains permanently stuck in the 1950s, which is like 90% of the Republican party right there.

Could also be something denigrating the right to choose, you never know.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Joementum posted:

I see the GOP has been talking to Australians lately for help with their slogans.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
It's going to be like the early 90's all over again. Maybe we'll get a Temple Of The Dog reunion!

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Joementum posted:

Where is the source for this? Jesus christ who would wear that.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

On Terra Firma posted:

The Hillary/Chicken thing has been around forever, quite possibly since she was First Lady or even earlier. I don't know how long it's existed in button form.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Sir Tonk posted:

It's going to be like the early 90's all over again. Maybe we'll get a Temple Of The Dog reunion!

Pretty sure those are of early 90s vintage. I wonder if they have any in pog form.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

On Terra Firma posted:

Jesus christ who would wear that.

Oh there are a few people out there who would.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
It's been 9 years, we have a Democrat as President, and that woman STILL makes me irrationally angry every time I see her picture. Just the sheer disrespect for all wounded vets...ugh. That convention was such a shitshow.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

On Terra Firma posted:

You are talking about the party who had people wearing band aids with purple hearts on them during their 2004 convention. The people wearing the band aids were not shunned or herded out of sight but allowed to proudly show off on TV. Why? Because the Democrat running who had both a Silver and Bronze Star also had 3 Purple Hearts, and that was clearly unfair, so they made fun of all purple hearts while ignoring the Silver and Bronze Stars.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
When are all the Republicans gonna die of old age?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Never. They are sustained by their hate.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

The best part about the mystery button is that it says "A womans", not "A woman's". Defending the holy matrimony between lovely opinions and lovely grammar! :patriot:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

You haven't known fear until you've talked with a conservative millennial or two. :(

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

comes along bort posted:

You just wait until Beyonce or Oprah runs for president.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Hedera Helix posted:

You haven't known fear until you've talked with a conservative millennial or two. :(

I went to an engineering school. Christ, a guy I know unironically posts :byodood::siren: BENGHAZI :siren::byodood: poo poo from The Blaze at least once a week. Now that he's graduated, he has an offer from my company.
:smithicide:

Funambulist
Aug 3, 2012

Hedera Helix posted:

In my experience, they immediately break down and start blubbering about how LIBERALS HATE FREE SPEECH the moment you disagree with them. No debating or anything, just a bunch of ":qq: Why are you trying to suppress my freedom of speech?"

They know that they're in the minority and that more and more people think their views are regressive and lovely. That's a silver lining at least.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Funambulist posted:

In my experience, they immediately break down and start blubbering about how LIBERALS HATE FREE SPEECH the moment you disagree with them. No debating or anything, just a bunch of ":qq: Why are you trying to suppress my freedom of speech?"

They know that they're in the minority and that more and more people think their views are regressive and lovely. That's a silver lining at least.

Pretty much. Even in a conservative university like the one I go to the (for example) ardent anti-gay people are embarrassed to mention their beliefs because they know they'll be called out for it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I think that being able to play the victim/free-speech martyr is a something that attracts a certain kind of comfortable young person to conservatism.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Funambulist posted:

Pretty much. It's Megan McCains all the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rick Santorum can't help himself, he just has to keep talking about contraception. Apparently he's landed on a new theory: Robespierre wanted to depose the nobility to hand out slut pills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBxWIc-7-eI

• Locked thread