Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Wandering Knitter posted:

Maybe if they skipped the "dead animal laying around" part from Shepherd's Crossing?

Who are you to stand in the way of my corpse farm dreams! :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agent blue
Nov 14, 2012
Oh, man. Consider me one the folks who are waiting to throw money at this thing as soon as I can. I poured so many hours in the Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing games as a kid, it'd be nice to revisit that.

I haven't heard of Rune Factory but after looking into that, I'm sad that I never got around to getting a DS.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Maybe if they skipped the "dead animal laying around" part from Shepherd's Crossing?

At least don't have an event wherein you finally manage to get a full grown chicken, at which point a woman will come along and slaughter it, then tell you to cook it and bring it to her to feast upon later. Or be blown away by the absolute mass of meat products that pigs yield.

Shepard's Crossing 2 is a weird game, but strangely compelling. Maybe because it didn't screw around with the inherent 'sunshine and dasies' aesthetic of Natsume's games. No 'tickle the chibi cow' minigame in that; instead you grow up a horde of rabbits with one male and feed them to your dogs when they grow up.

Such is life.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

That loving lady. The chookie she gives you is a rooster, and she comes to cook it on the day it grows up. But if you have more than one chookie on that day, the chookie she actually kills is random. I found that out when she killed my loving egg-layer. While cheerfully calling it a rooster, :argh:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I biggest complaint about SC2 is that almost all the food counts as side dishes. Hell, I'm pretty sure everything that you can make out of the pigs are side dishes! :argh:

That and the game can actually suffer from slowdown. Stupid game just can't handle the sheer magnitude of my rabbit/sheep/dog farm. :colbert:

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Corridor posted:

That loving lady. The chookie she gives you is a rooster, and she comes to cook it on the day it grows up. But if you have more than one chookie on that day, the chookie she actually kills is random. I found that out when she killed my loving egg-layer. While cheerfully calling it a rooster, :argh:

Would you like a frog?

I biggest complaint about SC2 is that almost all the food counts as side dishes. Hell, I'm pretty sure everything that you can make out of the pigs are side dishes! :argh:

That and the game can actually suffer from slowdown. Stupid game just can't handle the sheer magnitude of my rabbit/sheep/dog farm. :colbert:

Grow grain. You can just plop them in the main bin. Pretty sure almost every meat dish is classified as Side. Also I think if you cook something with Bread, it counts as a Main.

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 11, 2013

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
Now I kinda want to try this Shepherd's Crossing game. Good luck finding it...

On topic, has there been any sort of indication regarding system requirements? My computer isn't the greatest and I don't want to be forced to get a new one just to give this a play once it's releases.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
I'd actually suggest it for any HM fan who wants a variation on the formula. Its unpolished and fairly buggy, with a lot of annoyances here and there, but its a very interesting and different take on the genre.

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked
All Shepherd's Crossing 1 did was teach me that cheese was completely and utterly useless. SC2 is pretty hard to find I think, but I remember seeing bins and bins of SC1 at Toys R Us for 9 bucks. It's a lot more lighthearted IMO and has the same formula as the second one.

I'm still on the fence about this game, but I really liked the butchering aspect of Shepherd's Crossing and if this game has it then I'll probably get it. There's something satisfying about culling down a year's worth of marmots and rabbits at the end of the year.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

^^^ It taught me that ducks who drink booze consider themselves better than other ducks, and will calmly assist you in slaughtering their brethren.

SC2 also has the best tutorial intro, even if it tells you nothing at all useful.

Spaceking posted:

Would you like a frog?

Holy poo poo, do you have any of the other arts in high res?

Corridor fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 12, 2013

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
I found the first one to be a bit of a chore with the insane bartering system. I do like the concept of selling items for other items and skipping over money entirely, I'm absolutely certain you could make an interesting game out of such a system; but adding money to SC2 absolutely improved it. Although the food system really had me scratching my head a lot with the side bin and the main bin. It'd be much simpler to just have a fridge or something that took any food.

And yes, it has the greatest tutorial in gaming. The sheer amount of wtf is staggering.

I got that art from tehvidya, who has done a bunch of little features on that game:
http://www.tehvidya.com/2010/12/shepherds-crossing-2-ds/
http://www.tehvidya.com/2011/05/shepherds-crossing-general-impressions/
http://www.tehvidya.com/2013/06/shepherds-crossing-2-not-for-kids/
http://www.tehvidya.com/2013/06/25-tips-for-making-shepherds-crossing-2-easier/

Just click on the images for High res.

EDIT: I actually found the fertility rating for fields to be a fantastic mechanic that encouraged field rotation and provided a valuable use for livestock like donkeys.

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Sep 12, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Haaaaaaahahahaha

quote:

Apparently you’re not supposed to milk mother animals until their kids have been weaned. Milking them carelessly will cause them to dry up and their babies to starve to death right in front of your eyes. You can’t put them out of their misery, you can’t sell them, you can’t feed them any milk. You just have to sit there and watch them run around helplessly until their final, miserable death.

quote:

I’ve played a lot of games and wooed many a partner. Believe me when I say this game is cold. Maki and Mika, my two previous wives, were friendly in a distant kind of way. Marriage to the mayor’s son is just depressing. (I’m in love with this other girl, but since I can’t have her, and since you obviously want me badly enough to spend 8 years saving up to afford me, I suppose) “I might as well settle for an average woman.” <— his own words. So you’ve got yourself a handsome husband, but he doesn’t love you, he’s hardly ever home, when he is he only ever talks about work and he occasionally throws some money your way and expects you to be happy. I suppose 5 isn’t too young to learn that sometimes the most attractive thing about daddy is his bank account.

quote:

Wow, could these guys be any less eager to marry me, do you think? It took Kai a while to even get his head around the concept, and this was after I’d desperately persuaded him that he couldn’t marry his sister!

It's a shame she doesn't go onto detail about the crazyass ladies in this town. Frog-and-snake girl up there is just the tip of the iceberg, wait until Haru inflicts herself on you, I don't think she says a single thing that isn't loving insane or creepy as hell.

:j: "My sister gave me 20 chickens to raise for their feathers but they keep disappearing. And where do you think they went?"
:v: "Where did they go?"
:j: "Someplace very nice! Very nice..."

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Yeah Haru was a few sandwiches short of a picnic. I ended up going with the fashionista because she seemed less insane than all the others.

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 12, 2013

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Haru is the best wife shut your mouths. :colbert:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

All of these ~anime~ farming games are fun and all but the only problem is that there is not a single one made for PC.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

drunken officeparty posted:

All of these ~anime~ farming games are fun and all but the only problem is that there is not a single one made for PC.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93285018

mull
Jun 6, 2010

We don't really go in for that any more.
I don't like the RPGMaker-esque sprites/graphics. Hope it does well though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Welcome to asia, where everything goes with some kind of carb!

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 14, 2017

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

mull posted:

I don't like the RPGMaker-esque sprites/graphics. Hope it does well though.

I'm guessing you haven't seen the new sprites yet. The creator isn't using the edited RPGMaker sprites anymore. The graphics have a better, much more distinctive style now.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

dijon du jour posted:

I'm guessing you haven't seen the new sprites yet. The creator isn't using the edited RPGMaker sprites anymore. The graphics have a better, much more distinctive style now.

That is some mad scoliosis.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm a sucker for these kind of games but I can only take so much anime at once, so I haven't played one since Run Factory 1 or 2. Stardew seems to be gloriously lacking in anime. I'll likely end up buying this, the mechanics sound pretty decent. The character sprites are pretty ugly and some of the trees have a bothersome look or clash with surroundings, but whatever. I want to pretend to farm poo poo and bomb up caves.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
I don't mind it. I just wish there was more variety in the genre.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Spaceking posted:

I don't mind it. I just wish there was more variety in the genre.

If only every character were a pony. *Sighs just quiet enough my parents don't hear*

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

O__O posted:

If only every character were a pony. *Sighs just quiet enough my parents don't hear*

Sooner or later, someone will do a sprite swap mod and you'll get your nightmare wish.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I really like the idea of the specialization mechanic. Seems like even more encouragement to round up a friend or two and co-run a farm.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I'm really excited for this game(Harvest Moon SNES is probably my fav 16bit game) but is anyone else feeling that this is getting ambitious as gently caress? I really hope they can deliver and keep it balanced(or whatever), but drat that's a lot of features.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well, that's not much longer at all than your average HM or RF game, to be honest.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Jesto posted:

I haven't playd newer HM games, what are the job / moneymaking activities in those?

In Rune Factory 1 and 2 the options felt a little limited.

Effectively all of the ones you listed with the exception of meat livestock, crabbing, and panning are available in RF3 and RF4. They're a huge step up from RF1&2 and if you like games along that vein, they're worth your time to check out.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
I liked the concept of raising Monsters in Rune Factory, but felt it never lived up to the potential of the idea. Oceans had some really cool ideas; like slimes excreting minerals to form iron and metal and being able to harvest treasure from mimic chests. Just really strange dynamics for animals you aren't familiar with. This game probably won't have any of that, but it was a cool concept poorly executed.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't much care for talent trees in my farming simulators but I'll wait until I get a chance to play before I decide how well it fits in this game.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

As someone who loves old school Harvest Moons, but doesn't really care if monster slaying is even in there, I'm loving the non-fighting extensions to that list.

(I'm not a digital pacifist or anything retarded; it just never seemed like a good genre mashup to have farming and dungeoneering together)

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Sputnik posted:

As someone who loves old school Harvest Moons, but doesn't really care if monster slaying is even in there, I'm loving the non-fighting extensions to that list.

(I'm not a digital pacifist or anything retarded; it just never seemed like a good genre mashup to have farming and dungeoneering together)

Rune factory 2 & 3 totally own. :colbert:

God this game is going to be huge. I hope I don't just get overwhelmed with indecision when choosing paths to take and stuff.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Corridor posted:

Rune factory 2 & 3 totally own. :colbert:

God this game is going to be huge. I hope I don't just get overwhelmed with indecision when choosing paths to take and stuff.

Not a big fan of two, but 3 owned, and I am getting 4 as soon as I get back.

I like the idea of a 'large world' HM, especially for the multiplayer aspect. It kind of reminds me of a cross between Rune Factory and Terraria, in all honesty.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm just happy to finally get a Harvest Moon game for the PC, with mouse support and all the other goodies. That it's basically Rune Factory 2.0 just makes it all the more sweet.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
It's Harvest Moon with gay marriage, multiplayer, and it lets me live my dream of owning a BEE AND MEAT farm. I'm totally sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Miijhal posted:

It's Harvest Moon with gay marriage, multiplayer, and it lets me live my dream of owning a BEE AND MEAT farm. I'm totally sold.

In addition to multiplayer Pokemon, a lot of my childhood was spent wishing for a multiplayer Harvest Moon. Now as an adult I'll get to set up what is essentially a Harvest Moon multiplayer server....and I'm sure my mom will end up playing too. Some things never change I guess.