Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

I will never get tired of exploring in this beautiful game.

Also, I learned that there are CERTAIN CONSEQUENCES to building an above-ground mushroom farm right across from your house. Especially when you're armed like I am in that screenshot, and playing hardcore. :gonk:

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

RareAcumen posted:

The planet is dying. :( The only question is whether or not it's best to leave it be or pick up your hammer and help it along.

It might be more accurate to say that it's being consumed, but I guess that's sort of the unspoken story arc of Terraria. The old world is withering away and it's up to you to decide what form it's going to take in the next life. Kinda heavy when you think about it like that.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
My main world is Corruption (pre-hardmode), but I want an artificial Crimson biome for fighting the Brain of Cthulhu. How much Crimstone do I need?

Also, why aren't there Crimtane Bricks like there are Demonite Bricks?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zemyla posted:

My main world is Corruption (pre-hardmode), but I want an artificial Crimson biome for fighting the Brain of Cthulhu. How much Crimstone do I need?

Also, why aren't there Crimtane Bricks like there are Demonite Bricks?

There are technically Crimtane Bricks. They just take some more effort to get, but they're special enough to be worth it~

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Enjoying 1.2 in the few hours that I've gotten to play it, but contemplating taking all my stuff in the new world I made and moving it to a medium-sized one. I wanted to play on a large one to get as much new poo poo as possible but it's all so spread out, maybe I'll come back to that map once this character is tricked out and extra-mobile. Plus the first hour or two with a new character is always the worst, and now I've gotten that out of the way.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
So, I unlocked hard mode and went to the Crimson to smash some altars. I was feeling pretty cocky, since I'd handled hard mode pretty well in 1.1 and had a decent idea of what to expect...from 1.1 hard mode. I went down into a Crimson cave and immediately got peed on to death by a bunch of flying transparent squid. Then I discovered that the hardmode Crimson had spawned directly in the middle of my hardmode Jungle, and got murdered by a giant turtle hurling itself like artillery tag-teaming with a bird-thing named a Derpling and a...thing called a Herpling. I decided to turn right the gently caress around and check the other side of the map. The Hallow appears to be completely buried under the snow biome, which showed almost no changes. Past that, I entered the dungeon to see if I could still nip in for some extra bones to spruce up my house, only to run face first into a giant caster that teleported every time I hit it and fired bouncing lasers that tore me to giblets before anything else even showed up.

I haven't gone underground yet. I'm scared. :stonk:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That's the easier of the two caster skeletons in the hardmode dungeon, by the way! :v:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I came back for 1.2, I've got full mithril armor, most non-hard mode weps and wings - what's my next step? Adamantite Armor, go for Hallowed Armor or skip and get 1.2 armor? Anything from 1.2 I should farm to make old hard mode bosses easier?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Got 2 hardmode drops, a nimbus rod which summons a rain cloud that hits everything below it and owns pretty hard, and a KO Cannon, which is sort of like a harpoon except the projectile bit is a boxing glove :v:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

canepazzo posted:

I came back for 1.2, I've got full mithril armor, most non-hard mode weps and wings - what's my next step? Adamantite Armor, go for Hallowed Armor or skip and get 1.2 armor? Anything from 1.2 I should farm to make old hard mode bosses easier?

If you actually have a decent way of farming the hardmode dungeon enemies without taking damage, it might be best just to head straight for the Ectoplasm you need for the Specter armor, and hope you get a copy of Magnet Sphere to drop at the same time. Once you get those two things, you'll go from being brutalized by the old hardmode bosses to being able to solo them without needing a single potion.

Barring that, if you can reliably kill the Destroyer, you can at least get part of the Hallowed Armor; I'm not sure if the new recipe requires souls or not, but all the 1.1 hardmode bosses drop Hallowed Ore now instead of you needing to smush all three hardmode sets together.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The best way to skip straight to hard mode dungeon is to farm Skeletron for the Book of Skulls. It's really drat strong.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Barring that, if you can reliably kill the Destroyer, you can at least get part of the Hallowed Armor; I'm not sure if the new recipe requires souls or not, but all the 1.1 hardmode bosses drop Hallowed Ore now instead of you needing to smush all three hardmode sets together.

None of the new Hallowed Armor set pieces require any materials besides the bars dropped from all three of the old hardmode bosses.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Daeren posted:

Past that, I entered the dungeon to see if I could still nip in for some extra bones to spruce up my house, only to run face first into a giant caster that teleported every time I hit it and fired bouncing lasers that tore me to giblets before anything else even showed up.

Oh boy, you haven't seen anything until you've dealt with the Skeleton Commandos, the hordes of Blue Armored Bones, and Bones Lee.

Don't even loving get me started on the Paladins.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
My witch doctor doesn't sell tiki armor, does it have to be during a blood moon or an eclipse? I've even tried moving his house out to the jungle and he still doesn't sell the armor.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
The Golem fight loving sucks, any tips other than building him a box? I'm using a megashark and he still destroys our 3 man group in phase 3.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

The Golem fight loving sucks, any tips other than building him a box? I'm using a megashark and he still destroys our 3 man group in phase 3.
Specter armor and magnet sphere makes him a joke.

Soral
May 30, 2009

ChibiSoma posted:

So I've got a question - if you were to take the time to dig a 3-5 wide 'hole' around the Corruption/Crimson, would that stop the spread? Or does it jump across gaps?

The corruption's thorns will grow across the gap and spread corruption, unfortunately, however they only grow on corrupt grass and only if there is room to grow. Filling a 3 block wide gap with a non-corruptable block (gray brick is a good sink for the hundreds of stone blocks you'll accumulate over time) or lining the gap with a corruptable block that thorns can't grow on (stone, sand) will successfully stop the spread of corruption. As far as I know the crimson doesn't have a thorn equivalent so a plain old 3 block wide hole should do the trick.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Matrim posted:

My witch doctor doesn't sell tiki armor, does it have to be during a blood moon or an eclipse? I've even tried moving his house out to the jungle and he still doesn't sell the armor.

You need to have a Pygmy Staff.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So how do you host without Hamachi? I tried doing so with both the Host and Play and dedicated server options, and my friend couldn't connect to me either way.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Devour or Fire posted:

You need to have a Pygmy Staff.

I have two. I figured it might have something to do with me killing plantera/the golem before getting him as an NPC.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Matrim posted:

I have two. I figured it might have something to do with me killing plantera/the golem before getting him as an NPC.

I did that too, still got him to give me the armor later. You do have a staff on you while talking to him right?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

The best way to skip straight to hard mode dungeon is to farm Skeletron for the Book of Skulls. It's really drat strong.

How do you summon Skeletron again? Also if you kill the Dungeon Guardian you can get an item for a pet. :v: Which is really insane.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
There are clothier voodoo dolls you can get, I forget from where, though. Monsters in the Dungeon? IIRC, that was the Skeletron resummon item.

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004
photographs of the best time you had
window smudged by the speed

gently caress yes, flying carpet. This update is amazing, I never thought I would end up playing Terraria again but have somehow put like 30 hours in since the update.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Jusupov posted:

I did that too, still got him to give me the armor later. You do have a staff on you while talking to him right?

Yeah, pygmy summoned and all. I'm really at a loss here.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Are solar eclipses supposed to be hard or something?

:v:

Sadly that scythe despawned after a while so I went back to doing it the old fashioned way and didn't see another one.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

SirSamVimes posted:

So how do you host without Hamachi? I tried doing so with both the Host and Play and dedicated server options, and my friend couldn't connect to me either way.
Whatever Red changed, everything that worked for me in the past doesn't anymore. I'm resorting to Hamachi now, but the 5 player limit sucks.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So, I'm at hard mode, and I've done the following:

1. Crafted the phasesaber, better dps than the cobalt sword.
2. Smashed a ton of flesh chests, every single one I could find (I could always start a small world for demon altar crafting)
3. Slowly finding cobalt and the like to craft up gear.

What should I...be doing? Just keep going up the ores again and fight the bosses? Is there any order I should fight them in?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bobnumerotres posted:

What should I...be doing? Just keep going up the ores again and fight the bosses? Is there any order I should fight them in?

In whatever order they come to your world to ruin your day :unsmigghh:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
You can either go up the ores, or try mining chlorophyte from the hardmode jungle, or defeat the old hardmode bosses (the ones from the mechanical skull/worm/eye) for Hallowed gear. Whatever way you go about it, the next step is killing the hardmode jungle boss and exploring the hardmode dungeon, both of which are incredibly dangerous but potentially rewarding activities.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Matrim posted:

Yeah, pygmy summoned and all. I'm really at a loss here.

If this is a multiplayer world then you might be affected by a bug which causes the witch doctor's stuff to not update after the conditions for adding more stuff to his shop are met, the solution is to load the world up in singleplayer, but it remains broken when you load the world in multiplayer again unless you've met the criteria for unlocking all of his items when you load it up in singleplayer.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
I just had a meteor crash into the loving ocean. It's in the shallows, but there's still no way I'm salvaging it until I find some sort of breathing aid. Pisssssssss.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

lohli posted:

If this is a multiplayer world then you might be affected by a bug which causes the witch doctor's stuff to not update after the conditions for adding more stuff to his shop are met, the solution is to load the world up in singleplayer, but it remains broken when you load the world in multiplayer again unless you've met the criteria for unlocking all of his items when you load it up in singleplayer.

Would killing him work?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nahxela posted:

There are clothier voodoo dolls you can get, I forget from where, though. Monsters in the Dungeon? IIRC, that was the Skeletron resummon item.

Dark Casters and Skeletron himself both have chances of dropping it. And yes, then you have to chuck it into lava like you do the guide doll. For as nice as the idea of resummoning Skeletron is, it's really just a lot easier to generate a new world if you really want the stuff he drops.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Jusupov posted:

Would killing him work?

Just confirmed that killing him does not work. Even if you haven't met all his criteria for unlocks he does still function properly in singleplayer though, so you can load poo poo up to buy the goodies that you do have proper access to.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Is there a way to prevent the game from pausing when it's not the active window?

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Fish Noise posted:

Whatever Red changed, everything that worked for me in the past doesn't anymore. I'm resorting to Hamachi now, but the 5 player limit sucks.

You should check out Evolve. Think of it as a Steam mixed in with Hamachi.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hobo Siege posted:

I just had a meteor crash into the loving ocean. It's in the shallows, but there's still no way I'm salvaging it until I find some sort of breathing aid. Pisssssssss.

Wait, people still mine meteors? Where's your dynamite?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Fish Noise posted:

You should be able to get around that with the host being in multiple hamachi network groups.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Is there a way to prevent the game from pausing when it's not the active window?

You could run the game in dedicated server mode and connect to localhost, the game doesn't pause in multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

SirSamVimes posted:

Wait, people still mine meteors? Where's your dynamite?

:aaa:

Man, this will make dealing with meteors so much easier!

• Locked thread