Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

lohli posted:

If this is a multiplayer world then you might be affected by a bug which causes the witch doctor's stuff to not update after the conditions for adding more stuff to his shop are met, the solution is to load the world up in singleplayer, but it remains broken when you load the world in multiplayer again unless you've met the criteria for unlocking all of his items when you load it up in singleplayer.

Thank you, this works. You own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nekrews
Sep 14, 2007
Adding to the newbie trip reports:

Picked this up for 2.50 during the last steam sale and certainly didnt think it was so involved! Made a sweet little first home made out of wood, made my wood armor and went to it. Dug straight down this little tunnel and kept mining east until I broke into a big pit of water, which proceeded to flood my tunnel and leave me in the pitch dark :saddowns: Ended up finding a big vein of copper which led to a whole bunch of amethysts, and now I'm running around zapping stuff with this purple staff. Kept digging south until I fell into some dark room and I think I landed on a trap or something, since I immediately died to a poison dart!

I've been reading the basics in the wiki, but its fun as heck to go in blind and just run around and find new things. Game owns, especially for the 2 bucks I paid for it. Next on the agenda is more copper to upgrade my pick.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Edminster posted:

:aaa:

Man, this will make dealing with meteors so much easier!
I like using Sticky Bombs for the random chunks of meteor that get stuck here and there.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is there a working savegame editor out for 1.2 yet?

I'm more interested in building poo poo and killing monsters without he fear of dying to be honest.

I went through the whole game (getting the Hell armour/gear) when it first came out, skipped 1.1 and am quite happy to go through 1.2 again, collecting all the hearts, stars ores, weapons, etc, but only if i'm nigh indestructible .

If there is an editor is there a particular item (new or old) that i can give myself to achieve this?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Nekrews posted:

I've been reading the basics in the wiki, but its fun as heck to go in blind and just run around and find new things. Game owns, especially for the 2 bucks I paid for it. Next on the agenda is more copper to upgrade my pick.

The gear you start with is all copper, you should check out what you can make with the various wood types.

Also would anyone be interested in a little video about how the new wire stuff works? Since you can now lay down 3 different wire colours for different circuits, there is now a variety of pressure plate types with different activation criteria, and there are teleporters and actuators now.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

lohli posted:

The gear you start with is all copper, you should check out what you can make with the various wood types.

Also would anyone be interested in a little video about how the new wire stuff works? Since you can now lay down 3 different wire colours for different circuits, there is now a variety of pressure plate types with different activation criteria, and there are teleporters and actuators now.

Absolutely! Never got into that stuff.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Hard mode really is a whole new game, it actually feels quite a bit like 2D Castlevania.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Matrim posted:

My witch doctor doesn't sell tiki armor, does it have to be during a blood moon or an eclipse? I've even tried moving his house out to the jungle and he still doesn't sell the armor.

Hey I did some stuff because I needed a Hercules Beetle and found out the Witch Doctor only sells Tiki gear if his house is underground, so you want to move him into the subterranean jungle to get most of his stock.

The new NPC/environment interactions are sort of cool. Maybe to get Steampunk Wings you need to move the Steampunker into deep space?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Kin posted:

Is there a working savegame editor out for 1.2 yet?

I'm more interested in building poo poo and killing monsters without he fear of dying to be honest.

I went through the whole game (getting the Hell armour/gear) when it first came out, skipped 1.1 and am quite happy to go through 1.2 again, collecting all the hearts, stars ores, weapons, etc, but only if i'm nigh indestructible .

If there is an editor is there a particular item (new or old) that i can give myself to achieve this?

https://code.google.com/p/tsge/

This one has trouble opening existing saves(or at least all of mine) but has no trouble creating saves, so you should be able to use it just fine. Give yourself some molten armour, a molten pickaxe, an ivy whip, and a weapon of your choice and then dive in.

My recommendations for weapons are:
Magic - Water Bolt, Diamond Staff
Melee - Dark Lance, Sunfury
Ranged - Phoenix Blaster, Flamarang, Molten Fury

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Has anyone else run into the glitch where reaching 100 gold coins via selling stuff doesn't create a platinum coin despite consuming the 100 gold coins? It's sort of irritating.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Anyone else having trouble getting NPCs to spawn? I've checked and double-checked, the rooms in my snow castle are completely suitable for housing and I've played enough to eat a bunch of life hearts, dig a hellevator, etc. But I haven't gotten anyone save the Guide and the Arms Dealer.

I guess I could just create a new world, but I like my spot. :(

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

TurninTrix posted:

Anyone else having trouble getting NPCs to spawn? I've checked and double-checked, the rooms in my snow castle are completely suitable for housing and I've played enough to eat a bunch of life hearts, dig a hellevator, etc. But I haven't gotten anyone save the Guide and the Arms Dealer.

I think the rooms are too small.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
The Official Terraria Wiki shows the requirements for house size wise as well as a couple of recommended sizes.

Rulers help when building when you don't want to sit there and count how many blocks you've placed. Too bad you don't get access to it till after you rescue the Goblin Tinkerer.

Robzilla fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 6, 2013

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

TurninTrix posted:

Go over the edges with more back wall to make sure it's all covered. Sometimes its picky. That's all I can think of.

Can you reassign the arms dealer to one of those rooms, and maybe someone else will move in?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Heavy neutrino posted:

Has anyone else run into the glitch where reaching 100 gold coins via selling stuff doesn't create a platinum coin despite consuming the 100 gold coins? It's sort of irritating.

gently caress I just got hit by it again while trying to figure out a way around it. It's really god damned obnoxious. Seems the only way to avoid it is to store/throw away your gold before selling stuff and then pick it up again.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Hobo Siege posted:

I just had a meteor crash into the loving ocean. It's in the shallows, but there's still no way I'm salvaging it until I find some sort of breathing aid. Pisssssssss.

Set up a coffer dam with some sand (Or whatever block you feel good about), then set up some pumps to drain the water. If you don't have the Mechanic yet, this is obviously not a viable strategy and you should go rescue her. :v:

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
One tip for people just entering hardmode that I haven't seen anyone else give yet, get yourself a sweetass Mushroom Spear sold by the nice gentleman who moves in if you build a house next to your above ground glowing mushroom farm for 30 gold (why would you not have a glowing mushroom farm?). This thing is amazing its a 70 damage spear with amazing length that leaves a trail of ghostly mushrooms behind as you swing it each of which explodes on contact for about 50 damage each, meaning you tend to do several hundred damage per swing. This instrument of spory death can kill wyverns in 6-10 hits, and drops the wall of flesh 2-3 times faster then a clockwork assault-rifle loaded with meteor shot. The mushrooms can kill things through walls, and if your running away from something like say the twins, you can leave a deadly minefield in your wake. The only downside is that it can't be reforged and it doesn't stop you from dieing in about 10 sec if you go into the hard mode dungeon, but a least you don't have to worry about having the dps to actually kill things in hard mode.

For people people just starting out or starting a new character the first thing I would do would be to head strait for the desert, look for a pyramid and grab as much cactus as you can, just mine out the sand block right below the cactus you can harvest one in a fraction of a second. within 5-10 min of starting new game you could be decked out in full cactus armor, the equivalent of full copper, with a cactus sword, which dose more damage then a copper sword and has longer reach. And if you really lucky you might even have a sandstorm in a bottle solving most of your early game mobility problems.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Vorpal Cat posted:

For people people just starting out or starting a new character the first thing I would do would be to head strait for the desert, look for a pyramid and grab as much cactus as you can, just mine out the sand block right below the cactus you can harvest one in a fraction of a second. within 5-10 min of starting new game you could be decked out in full cactus armor, the equivalent of full copper, with a cactus sword, which dose more damage then a copper sword and has longer reach. And if you really lucky you might even have a sandstorm in a bottle solving most of your early game mobility problems.

This is, of course, assuming that the world doesn't generate with Corruption (or less brutally, Crimson) right between the spawn point and the nearest desert. A starter character has pretty much no way to survive in those biomes, and crossing Corruption chasms with basic mobility (no hooks/jump boosters) is ridiculously difficult.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

TurninTrix posted:

Anyone else having trouble getting NPCs to spawn?

Are you in the middle of an invasion? Remember, you can't get NPCs if there is currently an invasion in your world.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

KataraniSword posted:

This is, of course, assuming that the world doesn't generate with Corruption (or less brutally, Crimson) right between the spawn point and the nearest desert. A starter character has pretty much no way to survive in those biomes, and crossing Corruption chasms with basic mobility (no hooks/jump boosters) is ridiculously difficult.

Bring a stack of wood platforms or just dirt blocks/any block at all and no chasm will be a problem: just make a bridge, it's easy.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

KataraniSword posted:

Lucky this isn't a problem if you have the crimson instead. Its quite easy to navigate past early game, as long as you don't die honorably to face monsters and spiders.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Tarquinn posted:

Absolutely! Never got into that stuff.

I started recording some stuff, I'll hopefully have it done by the end of the day but it might get finished tomorrow instead. For people who have already started dicking around with this stuff, you may not have noticed that you can put pressure plates on top of teleporters which is pretty great for traps or keeping NPCs within a certain area.

So far I've covered the basics of teleporters, how they swap whatever is on the pads, I've yet to record a working multiple choice teleport setup that uses different coloured wires but I've shown a simple setup with just red wires and a multicoloured setup to demonstrate stuff about how they don't work, I've included how you can swap mobs and npcs along with what you can't swap. I'm planning to do some stuff with timers and I'll throw in some suggested uses and setups for various configurations, feel free to suggest stuff I might have missed or that you'd like to see.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Holy loving poo poo keys. Me and my friend play a bunch of casual co-op terraria 1.2 in a new world and I get a crim key and open the crimchest and get demonic Vampire Knives, AKA the weapon that completely breaks the game.
An hour later my friend gets a jungle key and we get a demonic Piranha gun.
Two hours later I get a frozen key and unlock the frost chest and I get the Hydra spell.

I'm still lost in all the new content, and other than farming Plantera and looking for some kind of Lunar Boss (check the soundtrack), I haven't been looking for keys. And now I learn these lovely keys are a 1/4000 drop from biome monster? Really?

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

lohli posted:

I started recording some stuff, I'll hopefully have it done by the end of the day but it might get finished tomorrow instead. For people who have already started dicking around with this stuff, you may not have noticed that you can put pressure plates on top of teleporters which is pretty great for traps or keeping NPCs within a certain area.
I believe gray and brown pressure plates are Player Only activated, where as the others are ANY activated, the yellow I believe are NPC & Mob activated.

Large worlds are usually 8400 x 2400 tiles, where as small is 4200 x 1200 tiles.
VVVVVVVV

Map Size

Robzilla fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 6, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Did I make a mistake by making my first World Large? Exactly how big is this place...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Fuzz posted:

Did I make a mistake by making my first World Large? Exactly how big is this place...

If you're playing solo then yes, yes you did.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

KataraniSword posted:

Or corruption/crimson on BOTH SIDES of your spawn point. :gonk:

Even the Ice Boomerang I snagged out of a lucky ice chest didn't help me much there.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Fuzz posted:

Not at all. More of everything :getin:

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

If you're playing solo then yes, yes you did.

I like large worlds. There's lots of stuff to find, even if it does take an eternity to cross.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, really, you didn't do anything wrong - it's just that a large world is huge so it's gonna take you, on average, about twice as long to go much of anywhere.

On the plus, you've got a hell of a lot more room to spelunk!

(To put it in perspective, a large world is four times the size of a small world, being twice as wide and twice as tall overall. This means that things are generally less clustered, but it also means that you'll spend a lot of time trying to get to where you were last time you played.)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 6, 2013

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Robzilla posted:

I believe gray and brown pressure plates are Player Only activated, where as the others are ANY activated, the yellow I believe are NPC & Mob activated.
Yeah I've already got the different pressure plate stuff worked out, but I haven't decided how I'm going to demo it yet, keeping npcs within the confines of a house seems like one to use, a basic elevator setup would probably be good. I've got a round-robin teleporter setup demo'd already. I might make a little teleporter maze/puzzle and include a download for the map.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

kazil posted:

Are you in the middle of an invasion? Remember, you can't get NPCs if there is currently an invasion in your world.

drat, that was it. When I read they were coming in from the West, I didn't realize they'd bypass my castle entirely for the spawn point. Thanks.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Well, I finally got a Frozen Key, and I almost wish I hadn't because the dream of using the Tiki Armor set to summon five hydras was too good to be so cruelly shattered.

I mean come on, it wouldn't be any more broken than the Magnet Sphere and the Spectre set.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I'm pretty sure that 5 hydras would in fact be more broken than the magnet sphere.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Would it be worth spending some time rearranging the dungeon pre-hardmore to make it less of a labyrinth in hardmode? My co-players and I have started stripping some spikes out (for defending our base) and I've stuck torches everywhere, but I feel like it might be worth turning it into a more manageable layout.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

FadingChord posted:

Would it be worth spending some time rearranging the dungeon pre-hardmore to make it less of a labyrinth in hardmode? My co-players and I have started stripping some spikes out (for defending our base) and I've stuck torches everywhere, but I feel like it might be worth turning it into a more manageable layout.

IIRC only players are hurt by spikes so you can't use them for defending your home, and the most manageable layout is either a big upside town T-intersection where you rain death from above or a setup where mobs will gather behind things that are too high for them to jump up/over. If you go for the T-intersection then make sure you have the staff that the Angry Nimbus(spawns with rain + hardmode) drops because it fucks poo poo up pretty hardcore, you'll also want other weapons that do either splash damage or at least have penetration. You will want people to keep an eye out for the hardmode variants of the Dark Caster.

Making sure you have found all the special chests and have quick routes to them is a good idea also.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure Red had mmo tank/healer/DPS in mind for Turtle/Specter/Shroomite armors because holy poo poo does Shroomite Armor DPS. Using the Chlorophyte bow (triple shot) with piss arrows, no damage accessories or archery potion, I was shooting 100% crits for 450 damage total on paladins with the stealth field up. Getting all the glowing mushrooms for the Shroomite bars was a huge chore and I guess lifesteal has babied me but this is great.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

KataraniSword posted:

Dark Casters and Skeletron himself both have chances of dropping it. And yes, then you have to chuck it into lava like you do the guide doll. For as nice as the idea of resummoning Skeletron is, it's really just a lot easier to generate a new world if you really want the stuff he drops.

Actually, you don't drop the clothier doll in lava - you have to equip it, then drop the clothier himself in lava. Or kill him any other way, but equipping the doll doesn't allow you to harm him, like it did with the guide. It's a loving bizarre setup, and typically, after I'd spent twenty minutes setting up some crazy Vincent Price poo poo where the clothier's house had a secret lava vat underneath so we could kill him then just replace the furniture ready for the next victim, the trophy dropped on the first kill. :v:

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

canepazzo posted:

I came back for 1.2, I've got full mithril armor, most non-hard mode weps and wings - what's my next step? Adamantite Armor, go for Hallowed Armor or skip and get 1.2 armor? Anything from 1.2 I should farm to make old hard mode bosses easier?

Heart and mana statues.

You wire them, and just walk over the sweet sweet hearts and mana stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Pilchenstein posted:

Actually, you don't drop the clothier doll in lava - you have to equip it, then drop the clothier himself in lava. Or kill him any other way, but equipping the doll doesn't allow you to harm him, like it did with the guide. It's a loving bizarre setup, and typically, after I'd spent twenty minutes setting up some crazy Vincent Price poo poo where the clothier's house had a secret lava vat underneath so we could kill him then just replace the furniture ready for the next victim, the trophy dropped on the first kill. :v:

This just reminds me how poor the boss summons really are. I don't really understand why many require it to be night to summon, that just makes it a boring pain in the rear end wait. Then you have stuff like Wall of Flesh where you have to wait for the demons carrying dolls and also you need to make sure the guide is present. Then you have Plantera where you need to hunt for the summoning flower in the sprawling jungle, then make your arena because of course it will spawn in the smallest tunnel ever.

Golem is the best boss because all you need is the item and the altar. You can take the altar out of the dungeon with you and as long as you have the summoning item, fight him wherever, whenever, however.

• Locked thread