Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Speaking of Mary-Ann, I wanted to go all the way across the map to meet her but the taxi just didn't have the fast travel option. I even changed taxis and it was the same story. Is there something specific that causes that?

You might have been in "first person" aka dashboard cam view while in the taxi. This disables fast travel. Go to the 3rd person view while in the cab and you should be able to fast travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Maguro posted:

You might have been in "first person" aka dashboard cam view while in the taxi. This disables fast travel. Go to the 3rd person view while in the cab and you should be able to fast travel.

Alternatively, set a custom marker for your destination before the call, get in, mash X/A. It defaults to your custom marker for selection so you'll select it and teleport in a second or two.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

RatHat posted:

Really? The purpose of that mission was to show that the protagonists aren't entirely protected by the FIB, and if they do something too big they'll have the whole world on their asses.

And it also shows that even though Trevor is a maniac he actually thinks logically. He knows that they are done if they go ahead with the plan to sell it to the chinese.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
So I'm getting an annoying bug where no story missions appear no matter what I do. I've just finished the mission where you scout out the bank with trevor/lester in the helicopter for the union deposit heist. Ive also got a text from Mary Ann about stealing a JB700 car but that's the first I've heard of that . Is my save hosed? I have one a few hours back but not too keen to lose that much progress.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Holy poo poo, Pisswasser is at $37 now, feel bad for those that sold it at $12....

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Hmm, I think I'm going to redo the story again. Doing the mission replays just doesn't feel the same.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm about halfway through the story, I think, and at first I thought Trevor was just entertainingly crazy but now I'm realising his seeming insanity is a really clever twist from Rockstar. In other R* games, people complain that the player's actions when they're in control of the protagonist are completely at odds with how the character acts in cutscenes (CJ in GTA:SA, Niko in GTAIV and John Marston in RDR, for example, all of whom are trying to make a better life for themselves to some degree or another) as in this PA strip http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/05/02

But with Trevor, in cutscenes and with all the crazy little things that are happening to him when you switch characters, he's acting ~wacky~ and psychotic, just like the player-controlled character does.

Chumpion
Jul 27, 2006

No means NO!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I'm about halfway through the story, I think, and at first I thought Trevor was just entertainingly crazy but now I'm realising his seeming insanity is a really clever twist from Rockstar. In other R* games, people complain that the player's actions when they're in control of the protagonist are completely at odds with how the character acts in cutscenes (CJ in GTA:SA, Niko in GTAIV and John Marston in RDR, for example, all of whom are trying to make a better life for themselves to some degree or another) as in this PA strip http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/05/02

But with Trevor, in cutscenes and with all the crazy little things that are happening to him when you switch characters, he's acting ~wacky~ and psychotic, just like the player-controlled character does.

Yeah this is definitely the case, he almost is the player; going on rampages when you arrive, wearing stupid costumes and stripping down to his skiddies and generally being a fuckabout. What I find the most successful part of the 3 character narrative is that the complaint from San Andreas onwards that the characters don't match the actions almost is enforced naturally in us the player. When I want to gently caress around and act insane without any regard to money or my nice bunch of cars I actually do switch to Trevor because it feels more of a natural fit, when i want to cruise around and be chilled out with hobbies without any overt crimes I'll play as Michael and when I want to do a mixture of the two; doing van heists and stickups but at the same time playing it cool and not leaning into rampages I'll play as Franklin.

Now that's a semi enforced rule but the thing is, at least to me, it feels odd doing it any other way. In the same way playing as Niko and murdering woman in Times Square felt detached and bizarre doing it as Trevor would almost feel like a right that the narrative has given to me, the player, naturally. I think it's a great way of splitting up the obvious complaints in narrative than an open world game inevitably falls into.

Chumpion fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 6, 2013

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Danger - Octopus! posted:

There's a lot more depth to him than that suggests though. He's not purely an insane player avatar and viewpoint. He's arguably the deepest character with the most characterisation. He's not just a psycho, he's really intelligent and some of the things he does are clever as hell.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Also like most crazy adult men, he has mommy issues.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Odette posted:

Future online content, maybe?

That's kinda what happened with Red Dead Redemption. A lot of the single player area is left untouched or you only visit it once. Online was barebones at launch and then a ton of content was out via DLC.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Is anyone else completely bored by Franklin's story? I always enjoy playing Michael and Trevor's storylines but I never want to play Franklin's story missions. I just am not interested in his character at all

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I dunno, Franklin is the one I personally relate to the most. Probably because he's the most level-headed and is about my age. So I enjoy his plot line quite a bit.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Franklin is the level headed and most reasonable one of the trio and because those traits are generally bland, he comes across as that in comparison to the others.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
Being surrounded by a bunch of morons who rope you into doing their stupid chores is par for the course for my goddamn life. Also, Franklin can buy the LSC and get free car mods, so I default to him.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Aurain posted:

Franklin is the level headed and most reasonable one of the trio and because those traits are generally bland, he comes across as that in comparison to the others.

At least his "best friend" is hilarious. Lamar is by far my favorite character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIeqhNw1LXM

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Maguro posted:

At least his "best friend" is hilarious. Lamar is by far my favorite character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIeqhNw1LXM

What?!

(Lamar is the best and he should be DLC)

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
At what point in the single player are you able to play online? RDR was able to boot directly to online without touching the single player. Is this the same way or do I need to go through the Prologue?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I like Franklin way more than Michael. At least he's honest and knows what he wants. Michael practically does nothing but whine and complain the entire game.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Anyone got a video of when Lamar tells Trevor that he's behaving like an ex-girlfriend?

"Oooooh he lied to meeeee!!"

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

I said come in! posted:

That's kinda what happened with Red Dead Redemption. A lot of the single player area is left untouched or you only visit it once. Online was barebones at launch and then a ton of content was out via DLC.

There was Undead Nightmare. Even though the IV DLC didn't do so well I'd be surprised if they didn't put out some DLC that made use of the world they've made.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rusty Kettle posted:

At what point in the single player are you able to play online? RDR was able to boot directly to online without touching the single player. Is this the same way or do I need to go through the Prologue?

I imagine it'll be once you unlock the ability to switch freely between M and F. Takes about an hour to get to that point, if that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

adamarama posted:

So I'm getting an annoying bug where no story missions appear no matter what I do. I've just finished the mission where you scout out the bank with trevor/lester in the helicopter for the union deposit heist. Ive also got a text from Mary Ann about stealing a JB700 car but that's the first I've heard of that . Is my save hosed? I have one a few hours back but not too keen to lose that much progress.

Michael or Franklin should have a mission available. Run around as them for a bit. That heist prep is deceptive.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
Anyone else having issues making a Crew? I click "save this Crew", the indicator spins like it is doing something, then it goes back to the button that says "save this crew." No crew was saved!

edit

After 30 minutes it is now working.

Doomsday Jesus fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 6, 2013

Hidden Under a Hat
May 21, 2003
Finally got ready to do the first assassination mission and Bawsaq is down! What loving idiot decided to link the single player markets to online? How often is Bawsaq down?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Anyone else having issues making a Crew? I click "save this Crew", the indicator spins like it is doing something, then it goes back to the button that says "save this crew." No crew was saved!

edit

After 30 minutes it is now working.

Online thread :) http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573192

Hidden Under a Hat posted:

Finally got ready to do the first assassination mission and Bawsaq is down! What loving idiot decided to link the single player markets to online? How often is Bawsaq down?

Sometimes you just need to give it a minute and check it again. I was playing 20 minutes ago and it was down when I started, so I drove around a bit, and it came back.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Will I ever see the dog from the Dom mission ever again? That was the best thing in the game.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Another Person posted:

Will I ever see the dog from the Dom mission ever again? That was the best thing in the game.

Aren't some mysteries in life worth preserving?

...Nope I don't think so either, so here's the answer to your question helll YEEEEES!!!!

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Aren't some mysteries in life worth preserving?

...Nope I don't think so either, so here's the answer to your question helll YEEEEES!!!!

Do I have to do another Dom mission to see him? Because that mission was terrible after the dog.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Like 3 more and then 15 separate parachute events spread all across the state.

None of those missions are that hard though... especially not CHILLIAD hard. The parachute challenges are really fun (you don't have to get a perfect score or anything), but the number of them can be tedious.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

MZ posted:

Holy poo poo, Pisswasser is at $37 now, feel bad for those that sold it at $12....

I've been riding it up since $5.50. It's saved me from the fact that I did the assassinations as they became available rather than waiting for the post-game. Now I need to figure out whether to cash out and buy Michael's businesses or just keep riding for future pocket change.

Franklin talk, and endgame spoilers: Franklin was my favorite character because he changes the most in the course of the story. Trevor knows what he is and accepts it from the start. Michael comes to accept his life, driven by Trevor rather than his therapist. Franklin starts as a cheap thug and learns the ways of the (criminal) world. There's a drastic change between the guy who goes home to argue with his aunt every night after petty crimes and the guy who stops to watch the sunset after stealing several tons of gold.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:
If I could have killed Franklin I would have. I just felt like it needed to be done.

jeromechef
Apr 11, 2003

No more of that talk or I'll put the fucking leeches on you, understand?
Has anyone else had this issue?

The last story related mission I was able to beat was Surveying the Score. All that is left on my map are all Strangers and Freaks or Assassination missions. I can't proceed any further in the game.

I checked around online and found a bunch of other people with the same issue, but there doesn't seem to be a fix. I tried reinstalling the 8 gig and the patch as well and still the same problem.

Also, apologies if this has been posted before... didn't there used to be a "Search this Thread" feature?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That feature is part of SALR. Do you have an earlier save? I've run into a couple game breaking bugs. I couldn't get a mission to proceed because a checkpoint was bugged. I had to go to an earlier save.

jeromechef
Apr 11, 2003

No more of that talk or I'll put the fucking leeches on you, understand?
Unfotunately no, I don't have an earlier save.

So, if I were to start over (which, wouldn't be the end of the world), this shouldn't happen again then?

Also what's SALR? I'd hate to have this happen again so any more info on how/why this happens would be immensely helpful.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

MZ posted:

HOLY SHEEET I bought it at $2 and forgot about it.

$847,000 Profit!

drat Franklin is at $20 Million now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

jeromechef posted:

Unfotunately no, I don't have an earlier save.

So, if I were to start over (which, wouldn't be the end of the world), this shouldn't happen again then?

Also what's SALR? I'd hate to have this happen again so any more info on how/why this happens would be immensely helpful.

Something Awful Last Read. It adds features to the forums, like "search within this thread." And there's no guarantee it won't happen again. Luckily mine was in a heist so I could just pick the other option and do it that way.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I can't connect to GTA Online, something wrong or is it my end?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Ularg posted:

I can't connect to GTA Online, something wrong or is it my end?

Ask in the online thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

kri kri posted:

Ask in the online thread?

I didn't know there was one. :(

• Locked thread