Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ularg posted:

I didn't know there was one. :(

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573192

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
I just did the mission where Franklin steals the Z-Type. I let the owner live and then he calls the cops on me and I get a 2 star wanted level. I ended up doing too much damage to the car and having to go back to the checkpoint. This time I pop the guy in the head and take the car and the mission is MUCH easier.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:

Ularg posted:

I can't connect to GTA Online, something wrong or is it my end?

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

FallinInTheBlak posted:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

It took me like alf an hour of standing on one of my single player guys to finally allow me to switch to my online character without it saying "You timed out". I'm sorry I posted in the wrong thread I guess.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Ularg posted:

It took me like alf an hour of standing on one of my single player guys to finally allow me to switch to my online character without it saying "You timed out". I'm sorry I posted in the wrong thread I guess.

I meant that everyone is having issues with connecting online. I myself have only been able to play really on launch day and today. The servers don't seem to be handle the amount of traffic that they're receiving.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

FallinInTheBlak posted:

I meant that everyone is having issues with connecting online. I myself have only been able to play really on launch day and today. The servers don't seem to be handle the amount of traffic that they're receiving.

Oh sorry. I thought everyone seems to be working fine since there's really active thread and irc for it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Ularg posted:

Oh sorry. I thought everyone seems to be working fine since there's really active thread and irc for it.

The thread is really active it's just that over half the posts are some variation of yours :v: I've only been able to get online once, last night, but it was a blast. Just keep trying, and don't get too attached to your first character (they sometimes vanish into the ether).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I just did the mission where Franklin steals the Z-Type. I let the owner live and then he calls the cops on me and I get a 2 star wanted level. I ended up doing too much damage to the car and having to go back to the checkpoint. This time I pop the guy in the head and take the car and the mission is MUCH easier.
I did this mission the exact same way. Screw that guy.

jeromechef
Apr 11, 2003

No more of that talk or I'll put the fucking leeches on you, understand?

Cojawfee posted:

Something Awful Last Read. It adds features to the forums, like "search within this thread." And there's no guarantee it won't happen again. Luckily mine was in a heist so I could just pick the other option and do it that way.

Whoa, SALR is helpful thanks man.

Well, I guess the best I can do to guarantee it won't happen is just save frequently. And maybe hope they patch it. It's not a total loss if I've gotta start over because I hosed up playing the stock market on the assassination missions, so a redo to be super rich won't totally kill me.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Beat it a few mins ago, and going through the credits now.

Gotta say, this is the first ever GTA game I actually completed the story on. It's actually god damned amazing.

Won't spoil anything. Only downside seems to be you don't "unlock" more radio stations or more dialog in the game. Seems like the chat shows you start with are the same ones you keep all game. Still, Chakra Attack and Beyond Insemination are worth hearing a few times.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Won't spoil anything. Only downside seems to be you don't "unlock" more radio stations or more dialog in the game. Seems like the chat shows you start with are the same ones you keep all game. Still, Chakra Attack and Beyond Insemination are worth hearing a few times.

Yeah, this was an odd choice. The other stations I could understand not changing much but way back in San Andreas they had 3-4 different recordings for major show on WCTR and as many as a dozen recordings for WCTR News with Richard Burns.

Hell, even Vice City had 3 different shows with Maurice Chavez.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Gotta say, this is the first ever GTA game I actually completed the story on. It's actually god damned amazing.

If you have a chance to pick it up on the cheap, I would recommend playing out GTA IV's story. Its not as playful by far, however the radio station DJs have a lot of comedy and variety to them so just listening to them while getting stuff done makes it worth it- ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE GENETICALLY DIFFERENT BABY. ALPHA!

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

What time does beyond insemination come on? The only radio shows I've heard are chakra attack and Fernando show... they really should have had more than one talk radio station, or at least more talk shows on that station

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

orcane posted:

I did this mission the exact same way. Screw that guy.

I managed to lose the cops pretty Mich immediately. I've noticed many of the missions that cause a wanted level often start you next to a good escape route. Like Barry's mission where you Steal the truck with the weed stash. Cops get called immediately but there's an alley across the street which you can lose them in immediately. First time I tried escaping in another direction and couldn't shake them in time. Second try I waited in that alley for 30 seconds and never even got chased.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Chard posted:

The thread is really active it's just that over half the posts are some variation of yours :v: I've only been able to get online once, last night, but it was a blast. Just keep trying, and don't get too attached to your first character (they sometimes vanish into the ether).

Alright. I just had a pretty okay game of Deathmatch after getting an invite from someone. I don't really think this is the kind of game for that. You have to sprint around and keep your finger on the trigger (PS3) so you have this weird grip to spam X and stay ready. I tend to never stick to the right cover when I try to and I hate the "Spam X to respawn faster".

But then the next match was racing and it was the best thing ever so all is forgiven.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Ularg posted:

Alright. I just had a pretty okay game of Deathmatch after getting an invite from someone. I don't really think this is the kind of game for that. You have to sprint around and keep your finger on the trigger (PS3) so you have this weird grip to spam X and stay ready. I tend to never stick to the right cover when I try to and I hate the "Spam X to respawn faster".

But then the next match was racing and it was the best thing ever so all is forgiven.

That's good to hear. For some reason, I've always liked the racing portions of GTA, even though other people complained about them. Looking forward to being to racing other people in the GTA setting

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

DrunkPanda posted:

What time does beyond insemination come on? The only radio shows I've heard are chakra attack and Fernando show... they really should have had more than one talk radio station, or at least more talk shows on that station

There are two talk stations, the left wing one (WCTR) only plays in Los Santos and the right wing one (Blaine County Radio) only plays in Blaine County.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Pivit posted:

With a combination of my cellphone, a cartomizer punch, a multitool, and a bottle of ecig juice I now have Michael running a circle in the desert for several miles. He is literally carving a little circular groove into the ground. I would take a picture but my phone is pushing the thumbstick.

Kifflom. KIFFLOM!

I did it with a rubber band and Scotch tape.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

Hakkesshu posted:

I like Franklin way more than Michael. At least he's honest and knows what he wants. Michael practically does nothing but whine and complain the entire game.

Trevor is basically right about Michael, he's lying to himself about who he is. They're both crazy: Trevor accepts his insanity as a way of life, Michael pretends that he's a cold operator who's only in it for the money but periodically flies into a murderous rage at the drop of a hat.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Trevor IS a hipster though, just a really violent one who skullfucks teddy bears.

Franklin is just Mr. Clean all around. I just love when I select him and he's cleaning one of his cars, and is like "Man, that poo poo's CLEAN!!"

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 6, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Promoted Pawn posted:

There are two talk stations, the left wing one (WCTR) only plays in Los Santos and the right wing one (Blaine County Radio) only plays in Blaine County.

And if you have the LS one on when you're driving out of town you can hear it get all staticy and fade out.

I kind of wish there was some way to keep/get again the spy car.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I collected all the letter scraps last night, am now starting on the spaceship parts. I was a bit confused by the stranger mission that unlocks upon completing the letter: I chased Dreyfuss with the intention of killing him but he got away (I was drinking and not really focusing). Later the news reports that he's been found dead, so is that just the one outcome?

I like the little throwbacks to previous GTA games. While I think it worked in some ways for establishing IV, I think some players felt a bit alienated by the "clean slate" philosophy regarding references to the previous games (barring very small things like the safehouse graffiti and the mention of Donald Love in the newspapers you can catch a glimpse at if you destroy a dispenser) and it seems like they've taken that on board. The last two I heard were one of Michael's standard house-entering greetings, "Daddy's back, bitches!", which probably seems comically out-of-character and inappropriate if you've not played IV, and the Kifflom radio advert using a minor throwaway gag from III's talk radio ("Why are women made of sand?").

Of course there are legitimate criticisms about the game - there always is - but it's been nice to see these things and recall them like in the little things thread in PYF. Looking for the spaceship parts I was drawn to a hotel in Los Santos, at the back of which I found cleaning ladies, all in uniform and all speaking Spanish while smoking cigarettes.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Trevor IS a hipster though, just a really violent one who skullfucks teddy bears.

Franklin is just Mr. Clean all around. I just love when I select him and he's cleaning one of his cars, and is like "Man, that poo poo's CLEAN!!"

I thought the "Trevor is a hipster" argument was one of the funniest in the game, possibly tied with the long Lamar/Trevor conversation.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I just want to complain that I'm loving horrible at the stock market. I invest like 40 mil into some stock and I only get like 100,000 profit. (I save before I buy the stock so that I don't lose my :10bux:)

Am I supposed to buy cheapo stocks? Expensive ones? I mean pisswasser is obvious but I'm still not making poo poo off it. And I didn't buy it when it was $5 but I didn't realize it was all tied to social club at the time... :negative: :smithicide:

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
I just beat the game last night, I was hoping to do the assassination missions today to game the stock market but BAWSAQ is down :argh:

MissileWaster fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 6, 2013

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I collected all the letter scraps last night, am now starting on the spaceship parts. I was a bit confused by the stranger mission that unlocks upon completing the letter: I chased Dreyfuss with the intention of killing him but he got away (I was drinking and not really focusing). Later the news reports that he's been found dead, so is that just the one outcome?

I like the little throwbacks to previous GTA games. While I think it worked in some ways for establishing IV, I think some players felt a bit alienated by the "clean slate" philosophy regarding references to the previous games (barring very small things like the safehouse graffiti and the mention of Donald Love in the newspapers you can catch a glimpse at if you destroy a dispenser) and it seems like they've taken that on board. The last two I heard were one of Michael's standard house-entering greetings, "Daddy's back, bitches!", which probably seems comically out-of-character and inappropriate if you've not played IV, and the Kifflom radio advert using a minor throwaway gag from III's talk radio ("Why are women made of sand?").

While the PS2 era games are a different universe, 4 isn't. There's I believe 2 cameos, and a third one that's voice only, for characters from 4. It's just been 5 years since the liberty city diamond incident so a lot of people have gone dark or dead.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The assassination missions affect the stock market much, much less if you keep reloading your save while the price is rising, instead of a max jump of around 80% it gets lowered to 50% and 25% with successive reloads. There's no point in not sleeping 2/3 times so you can get the 80% and dump the stock as soon as the mission is done; doing that takes about 2 minutes.

J
Jun 10, 2001

When property purchasing first unlocked, I bought smoke on the water and that lovely club on the north side (hen house or whatever it was called.) Then I saw someone mention in another thread that properties paid out poo poo money so I didn't buy any more after that. I also did very little side content and basically blitzed the main storyline for the most part. I made a whole 2 weeks worth of income from those properties in that span, and only saw property management missions pop up one time for each property. And the smoke on the water mission disappeared before I could even reach it on the map even though I hauled rear end to it ASAP. Really loving disappointing, I had a lot of fun with that side of the game in Vice City.

Am I missing anything here or is it really as lovely as it seems?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

There's I believe 2 cameos, and a third one that's voice only, for characters from 4.
There's more than that. Johnny, Clay, and Terry are all from Lost and the Damned. Rocco--the agent Michael kills--is from Gay Tony. Marnie--the original Epsilon contact for Michael--was a drug addict who Niko could help. There's Packie obviously. You also can see the mysterious man with glasses with the Agency guys. Michael can actually kill him.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Oh my god, that was Marnie from GTAIV?! I had no idea. (But I didn't catch Michelle/Karen or the UL Paper Guy either.)

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

I just want to complain that I'm loving horrible at the stock market. I invest like 40 mil into some stock and I only get like 100,000 profit. (I save before I buy the stock so that I don't lose my :10bux:)

Am I supposed to buy cheapo stocks? Expensive ones? I mean pisswasser is obvious but I'm still not making poo poo off it. And I didn't buy it when it was $5 but I didn't realize it was all tied to social club at the time... :negative: :smithicide:
I bought Pisswasser on the 28th or so of September and by this morning it had gone up to 540%. So it takes time, but yeah.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Rockstar ate my character again and won't let me make a new one.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

J posted:

When property purchasing first unlocked, I bought smoke on the water and that lovely club on the north side (hen house or whatever it was called.) Then I saw someone mention in another thread that properties paid out poo poo money so I didn't buy any more after that. I also did very little side content and basically blitzed the main storyline for the most part. I made a whole 2 weeks worth of income from those properties in that span, and only saw property management missions pop up one time for each property. And the smoke on the water mission disappeared before I could even reach it on the map even though I hauled rear end to it ASAP. Really loving disappointing, I had a lot of fun with that side of the game in Vice City.

Am I missing anything here or is it really as lovely as it seems?

I feel like rockstar heard the complaint about GTA4 where Nico complains about not having any money even when youve racked up millions, so GTA5 is much more reserved in how to gain money. So much it goes in the other direction. I feel like the solution, for people who care about the plot, is to not have the main obstacle be cash related.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

RagnarokAngel posted:

While the PS2 era games are a different universe, 4 isn't. There's I believe 2 cameos, and a third one that's voice only, for characters from 4. It's just been 5 years since the liberty city diamond incident so a lot of people have gone dark or dead.

Oh yeah, I know. I think though that it could've been easy to isolate V as they did with IV, but the connections are a lot more overt this time around, beyond even IV characters and things. That's even before you get into the little nods to the wider Rockstar family, like the Hawaiian shirt, cougars being the hidden demons of the American wilderness and the Elysian Fields Freeway.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

I feel like rockstar heard the complaint about GTA4 where Nico complains about not having any money even when youve racked up millions, so GTA5 is much more reserved in how to gain money. So much it goes in the other direction. I feel like the solution, for people who care about the plot, is to not have the main obstacle be cash related.
Well, it's not like the game doesn't give you money. For me, after the first heist, Michael had over a million and both Franklin and Trevor had well over one-hundred grand. I never had any of my characters dip under five digits unless I was heavily investing. You're never really scrapped for cash, or turning over liquor stores so you can afford ammo.

The thing is that the game just offers you a lot more to save up for like expensive vehicles and properties. The problem becomes that the properties are often not really worth it as they don't add much to the game. And while boats and aircrafts are worth investing in, cars can be a crapshoot.

As far as properties, I think they need to take the stance they took with activities: Less, but bigger quality. I'd be okay if Michael, Trevor, and Franklin all had one property each that they could buy, but all those properties offered content on the same level as the airstrip.

As far as cars, obviously the impound and garages need to be more functional. I think the more important thing is an ability to set your default. Like I should be able to replace the default character specific cars with another vehicle. Limit it so I can't make a tractor or eighteen wheeler one of their default vehicles, but let me choose.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I've realised I'm going to have to re-buy the game when it comes out for PC and mod tools are available, since I want nothing more than to play the entire game wearing one of the spacesuits that guys on the film set have.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

There's more than that. Johnny, Clay, and Terry are all from Lost and the Damned. Rocco--the agent Michael kills--is from Gay Tony. Marnie--the original Epsilon contact for Michael--was a drug addict who Niko could help. There's Packie obviously. You also can see the mysterious man with glasses with the Agency guys. Michael can actually kill him.

Also Brucie is on a website shilling for Bull Shark Testosterone.

I doubt there will be anything with Niko what with the fact that the actor had issues with Rockstar after IV came out.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

The Casualty posted:

I managed to lose the cops pretty Mich immediately. I've noticed many of the missions that cause a wanted level often start you next to a good escape route. Like Barry's mission where you Steal the truck with the weed stash. Cops get called immediately but there's an alley across the street which you can lose them in immediately. First time I tried escaping in another direction and couldn't shake them in time. Second try I waited in that alley for 30 seconds and never even got chased.

If you immediately take two rights, you can escape without even triggering the cops.

I really, really wish R* would finally stop with the psychic cops, they've always been the worst part of GTA games. No matter where you go, they are still automatically drawn to you, even if there's no reason for them to assume where you are. The line of sight is pointless at least on 3 stars and up.

Even when you try to cheese it, the game often manages to gently caress you over. For example stealing the drill mission : there's no way to outrun them, so what I did was kill all guards silently, climb into the truck and immediately out. I climbed up multiple roofs and hid in a small nook in a corner and just as the wanted timer ran out, two cops had somehow been magically drawn to me and were right next to where I was. There was no way someone could've seen me go there.

Same thing happened with the final getaway which was the most horrible and tedious thing ever. No matter where I went, the game spawned more cops right in front of me. I managed to climb up some hill, tumbled all around and finally broke the line of sight. I was in some small ditch, under a tree, completely hidden. Few cop cars popped up on a near-by highway, the cops came out of their cars and started running towards where I was. Again, there's no way they should've had any idea where I was.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
For stealing the drill I just got in and then out, and hid on the roof and it was fine. The cops hosed off.

And for the getaway I hid in a multi storey car park. Easy.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I'm pretty sure that the point isn't that it's hard to avoid them (because, yeah, it's really not). It's that they always know exactly where you are, even when they "don't." They will always manage to eventually converge on a spot as close to where you're hiding as is possible, unless you were a white marker when you went to hide in which case they don't even pretend to not know and will always run right up to your hiding spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Metanaut posted:

If you immediately take two rights, you can escape without even triggering the cops.

I really, really wish R* would finally stop with the psychic cops, they've always been the worst part of GTA games. No matter where you go, they are still automatically drawn to you, even if there's no reason for them to assume where you are. The line of sight is pointless at least on 3 stars and up.

Even when you try to cheese it, the game often manages to gently caress you over. For example stealing the drill mission : there's no way to outrun them, so what I did was kill all guards silently, climb into the truck and immediately out. I climbed up multiple roofs and hid in a small nook in a corner and just as the wanted timer ran out, two cops had somehow been magically drawn to me and were right next to where I was. There was no way someone could've seen me go there.

Same thing happened with the final getaway which was the most horrible and tedious thing ever. No matter where I went, the game spawned more cops right in front of me. I managed to climb up some hill, tumbled all around and finally broke the line of sight. I was in some small ditch, under a tree, completely hidden. Few cop cars popped up on a near-by highway, the cops came out of their cars and started running towards where I was. Again, there's no way they should've had any idea where I was.

I'm just going to address you, but don't consider it a personal callout because I know a lot of people have the same complaint. I love how diligent the cops are in GTA5. Think about it - if you've got an entire city's police plus Private Army chasing you, are they really expected to just drive on roads? I consider it an abstraction; those two cops who leave the highway and run towards you are part of the larger search, but that larger search isn't shown because gameplay. It abstracts the state-wide manhunt for your dumb rear end to a manageable level. If they 'know' you were last seen somewhere in region X, it stands to region that they will canvas X looking for you. Just think of those two 'psychic' cops as the only two unlucky enough to be sent to where you happened to be.

As for line of sight, maybe it's all my time with MGS but I find that it works very well. Dozens of times I've hidden behind walls, in bushes, on top of buildings, under bridges, and 3+ star cops will drive right past. Just don't think that the computer is dumb and you'll do better and have a better time. Enjoy what they've accomplished.

e: if you can switch cars where no one can see you, your arrow on the map darkens to grey. If you don't do anything flagrant, cops will literally drive past you on the same street and not even notice.

e2: this is on the bottom of a page and no one is ever going to read it :smith:

Chard fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 6, 2013

• Locked thread