Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Got to play with a strong LTE signal here in the middle of BFE, SC. Pretty sure I had line of sight with the tower, full cell bars, 21 mbps down and 7 up.

This was in the parking lot of a grocery store; when I went inside could not get any 4g even right next to the windows up front. If that's the sort of building penetration 4g has, well it's not a whole lot of use is it? Maybe that tower isn't fully upgraded or whatever, but I just have a feeling that's as good as it gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

angryrobots posted:

Got to play with a strong LTE signal here in the middle of BFE, SC. Pretty sure I had line of sight with the tower, full cell bars, 21 mbps down and 7 up.

This was in the parking lot of a grocery store; when I went inside could not get any 4g even right next to the windows up front. If that's the sort of building penetration 4g has, well it's not a whole lot of use is it? Maybe that tower isn't fully upgraded or whatever, but I just have a feeling that's as good as it gets.

Not in my experience. I get about 10Mbps/3 Up inside my house, and pretty consistently around where I live. I'm not terribly impressed but it seems like one of those technologies that'll just keep getting better as time goes on. It beats the hell out of 3G where I can get it, anyway.

What's strange to me is that every area I visit that has 3G also has LTE, so I go from pretty fast LTE to 1x and/or roaming in an instant. Only happened on a back country road, but it was pretty nuts to witness in the middle of Journey on iTunes Radio.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

I said come in! posted:

I was wondering if someone could explain Sprint's phone upgrade policy. My understanding is that you get the option to upgrade a phone that has been on a phone number of yours for one year. Are there discounts or do you just pay the full price of the phone?

They just introduced the sprint one up plan which is what you're describing. You also have the option of doing an old school 2 year upgrade.

With One Up you can trade your phone in after a year then you pay the full price of the new phone you get over 24 months and you can trade up to another one after a year or something.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

angryrobots posted:

Got to play with a strong LTE signal here in the middle of BFE, SC.

Having recently spent a week back home in South Carolina, I have to call bullshit. :colbert:

What part of SC though? There was almost exactly zero service where I was.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Almost 2 years ago I bought a HTC Arrive and I upgraded my $30 SERO with the $10 premium data. At the time Im pretty sure the Arrive and Marquee were considered the best phones for the plan. Has anything better come along or am I stuck spending another $10 to get to the next level of phones?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Wizard of Smart posted:

Having recently spent a week back home in South Carolina, I have to call bullshit. :colbert:

What part of SC though? There was almost exactly zero service where I was.

Midstate where I live, about an hour east of Columbia. My service overall is probably comparable to what most in this thread describe - always have cell service, data is up and down.

Sprint has the best service at my house, I get decent 3g indoors even. Verizon and at&t phones have unreliable service here.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
Anyone know what the status is on replacements for a S2/Epic Touch? My brother has one that's most likely going to need to be replaced under TEP but I don't want to find out they don't have them and they try to downgrade him to whatever they can find laying around the warehouse.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Cage posted:

Almost 2 years ago I bought a HTC Arrive and I upgraded my $30 SERO with the $10 premium data. At the time Im pretty sure the Arrive and Marquee were considered the best phones for the plan. Has anything better come along or am I stuck spending another $10 to get to the next level of phones?

I'm not sure $40 SERO plans even exist any more. I'm on a $50 plan for my Galaxy S3.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I'm not sure $40 SERO plans even exist any more. I'm on a $50 plan for my Galaxy S3.
Well, its not technically the $40 SERO plan its the $30 plan with the $10 premium data that let you use a few phones that were slightly more recent.

I should really just get prepaid iphone or something and sell the SERO plan, I used 40 minutes in Sept.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Cage posted:

Well, its not technically the $40 SERO plan its the $30 plan with the $10 premium data that let you use a few phones that were slightly more recent.

Yeah, that's what I meant, same thing. I had that when I was on a Blackberry.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Well, Im on that plan now so it does exist. Im guessing theres only the same phones as a few years ago though.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

Cage posted:

Well, Im on that plan now so it does exist. Im guessing theres only the same phones as a few years ago though.

Any non-4g/LTE phone qualifies for the 40 dollar plan still. I was using a Kyocera Echo up until November 2012 when I realized bumping up to the $50 dollar Sero was totally worth it for the note 2.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

dundun posted:

Any non-4g/LTE phone qualifies for the 40 dollar plan still. I was using a Kyocera Echo up until November 2012 when I realized bumping up to the $50 dollar Sero was totally worth it for the note 2.

Not the Iphone 4s though!

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
Is Sprint still doing the upgrade-from wimax-to-lte thing? If so, can I choose what phone?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

dundun posted:

Exceptions:
- iPhone 4/4s
- Motorola Admiral
- Samsung Transform Ultra
- Any other 3G smartphone released after, like, October 2011.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

td4guy posted:

Exceptions:
- iPhone 4/4s
- Motorola Admiral
- Samsung Transform Ultra
- Any other 3G smartphone released after, like, October 2011.

I forgot about the iphone, however I didn't know there were changes back in October 2011 regarding 3g smartphones. Thats pretty lovely if someone stuck with a phone such as the Kyocera Rise would have to pay the same "premium smartphone" fee as someone with a SG4. I always thought it was supposed to be a bandwidth tax, regardless of what Sprint named the fee.

dundun fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 4, 2013

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

angryrobots posted:

What phone do you have?

My LTE connectivity and building penetration with the EVO 4G LTE was absolutely terrible. It was exactly as you described, where I could have 4G in a parking lot but walk into a store and be on dial-up speed 3G.

When I upgraded to the Galaxy S3, I noticed I was holding on to 4G signals even inside places like Walmart where I normally would have a hard time getting a signal. Switching out my EVO for the GS3 has made such a huge difference in the Sprint experience that I'm surprised they didn't pull the EVO for all the connection problems it has. No wonder people think Network Vision is a failure, when you release phones with literally broken radio receivers what else are people going to think?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

What phone do you have?

HTC one. First smartphone for me.

At this point, I kinda wish I had ponied up for the sgs4.

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

What phone do you have?

My LTE connectivity and building penetration with the EVO 4G LTE was absolutely terrible. It was exactly as you described, where I could have 4G in a parking lot but walk into a store and be on dial-up speed 3G.

Hopefully they will sort that out once they switch to lower frequency. Nextel was 800 MHz signal and that's been shutdown. Hopefully they will switch lte to a low frequency.

Currently its really high like 1900MHz. Generally the higher the MGz the worse building penetration. I have the same problem. It will go from 4 bars 4G to 3G by going halfway through a building.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Got my roaming termination letter.

Later suckas!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

averox posted:

Got my roaming termination letter.

Later suckas!

Did you lose your phone number?

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

Did you lose your phone number?

Nope. When Sprint terminates your contract for excessive roaming, they give you a good 30 days or something to port your number out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

averox posted:

Nope. When Sprint terminates your contract for excessive roaming, they give you a good 30 days or something to port your number out.

Now I really want to do this.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

So I (unfortunately) got a Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic Touch about 18 months ago and so far i've had to get 3 replacements (at no charge) due to the charging port breaking/general battery issues. Today I took my phone in because (again) the battery port is broken and the dude at the sprint store took my phone apart and said he wouldn't replace it due to water damage and "corrosion on the charging port." Now I've only had this most recent replacement for a couple months and it 100% has never been wet in the slightest, in fact it's been inside of an otterbox case the entire time. How likely is it that the "water damage" is from before it was refurbished? Is there anything I can do to get my phone replaced for free like I have every other time? i'm pretty aware just how lovely the epic touch hardware is and I know the battery ports breaking is an extremely common problem they have, every other time i've taken the phone in they've immediately ok'd the replacement when I tell them it's the battery port and that it's an epic touch. there's no way in hell i'm paying $100 to get a refurbished epic touch again, my contract only has like 6 months left or something so i'd just as soon pay the $120 ETF

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

this_is_hard posted:

So I (unfortunately) got a Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic Touch about 18 months ago and so far i've had to get 3 replacements (at no charge) due to the charging port breaking/general battery issues. Today I took my phone in because (again) the battery port is broken and the dude at the sprint store took my phone apart and said he wouldn't replace it due to water damage and "corrosion on the charging port." Now I've only had this most recent replacement for a couple months and it 100% has never been wet in the slightest, in fact it's been inside of an otterbox case the entire time. How likely is it that the "water damage" is from before it was refurbished? Is there anything I can do to get my phone replaced for free like I have every other time? i'm pretty aware just how lovely the epic touch hardware is and I know the battery ports breaking is an extremely common problem they have, every other time i've taken the phone in they've immediately ok'd the replacement when I tell them it's the battery port and that it's an epic touch. there's no way in hell i'm paying $100 to get a refurbished epic touch again, my contract only has like 6 months left or something so i'd just as soon pay the $120 ETF

I'd try another store first if possible. The corporate store around here has a tendency to tell people their phones were wet, and I never see any signs of it when I look at them. If they opened a ticket and closed it out as liquid damaged, you may be out of luck on that one. The charging port failing is pretty common, but I'd say a good 25% of the ones I open have liquid damage indicators that are set off, or visible corrosion on the inside.

It's unlikely that it was pre-damaged from the warehouse, I'm pretty sure they check those for corrosion and replace any liquid damage indicators that may be set off (or just don't use those parts). I've seen my share of failed ones from them, but never a wet one.

That said, it's entirely possible to mess them up even in an Otterbox. Good cases, but not waterproof (well, except the Armor series). Having the phone in the bathroom while you shower can be enough to set off the indicators, and it only takes a drop sitting in the charging port, or plugging in a cable that might have gotten a little wet, to corrode it. I actually had a guy in the other day with a GS3 that never left it's Otterbox, and there was a layer of brown liquid between the back of the phone and the case, and all over the inside of the phone. No sign of it on the front, I suspect it got in through the camera hole.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

this_is_hard posted:

pay the $120 ETF

Or buy a used phone on eBay, Craigslist, Swappa, or any number of other used phone selling/trading sites. If you want a phone that will hold its value for you to resell when your contract ends, buy an iPhone 4 or 4S.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

goku chewbacca posted:

Or buy a used phone on eBay, Craigslist, Swappa, or any number of other used phone selling/trading sites. If you want a phone that will hold its value for you to resell when your contract ends, buy an iPhone 4 or 4S.

Well, I plan on getting off of Sprint ASAP anyways (due to service issues, I live/work in DC and data is pretty much unusable around here, as well as calls not connecting, etc) but if I could get my phone replaced it would be at least mildly more bearable to just wait out the contract for the next couple months

TVs Ian posted:

I'd try another store first if possible. The corporate store around here has a tendency to tell people their phones were wet, and I never see any signs of it when I look at them. If they opened a ticket and closed it out as liquid damaged, you may be out of luck on that one. The charging port failing is pretty common, but I'd say a good 25% of the ones I open have liquid damage indicators that are set off, or visible corrosion on the inside.

It's unlikely that it was pre-damaged from the warehouse, I'm pretty sure they check those for corrosion and replace any liquid damage indicators that may be set off (or just don't use those parts). I've seen my share of failed ones from them, but never a wet one.

That said, it's entirely possible to mess them up even in an Otterbox. Good cases, but not waterproof (well, except the Armor series). Having the phone in the bathroom while you shower can be enough to set off the indicators, and it only takes a drop sitting in the charging port, or plugging in a cable that might have gotten a little wet, to corrode it. I actually had a guy in the other day with a GS3 that never left it's Otterbox, and there was a layer of brown liquid between the back of the phone and the case, and all over the inside of the phone. No sign of it on the front, I suspect it got in through the camera hole.

yeah, I suppose could have been what happened. I've had these exact same issues with every S2 i've used, though. For ex: i'll plug the phone in and situate it at whatever random weird angle I need to do to get it to charge, after a few hours the indicator will turn blue and it will say 100% charged, i'll unplug it and the % will immediately jump down to 80%. or for ex i'll have 80% charge, restart the phone, and it will say like 3% charged. i'll restart it again and it will say like 60%. With all of that said, even if I do get it to charge to 100% and to stay there, literally within 3-4 hours (less if i'm actually using the phone) the battery will be down to around 15%. Are all of these problems common with the epic touch? I've never had a phone with as many problems as this one

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

this_is_hard posted:

yeah, I suppose could have been what happened. I've had these exact same issues with every S2 i've used, though. For ex: i'll plug the phone in and situate it at whatever random weird angle I need to do to get it to charge, after a few hours the indicator will turn blue and it will say 100% charged, i'll unplug it and the % will immediately jump down to 80%. or for ex i'll have 80% charge, restart the phone, and it will say like 3% charged. i'll restart it again and it will say like 60%. With all of that said, even if I do get it to charge to 100% and to stay there, literally within 3-4 hours (less if i'm actually using the phone) the battery will be down to around 15%. Are all of these problems common with the epic touch? I've never had a phone with as many problems as this one
That sounds like the battery and not the phone. For whatever reason, that whole generation of Samsung batteries (GS2, Replenish, Conquer) will crap out at the drop of a hat. If the battery is even a little swollen that's a bad sign. Take it out of your phone, lay it down, and see if you can spin it like a top. If you can, it probably needs to be replaced.

If the sticker on the battery (next to the contacts) is white, a store should be able to replace it if they have the part in stock. It's a known issue and they've sent out batteries, but we usually only get one or two at a time. If it's pink or red, you're on your own, though they're usually less than $20 on Amazon.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Finally had it with my Epic 3G's terrible lack of storage and I want to get an upgrade. The OP is from March, is there any advice you have since then? I did read through the last few pages and the triband phones sound interesting. Is there something additional that might make the choice clearer?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

CrashCat posted:

Finally had it with my Epic 3G's terrible lack of storage and I want to get an upgrade. The OP is from March, is there any advice you have since then? I did read through the last few pages and the triband phones sound interesting. Is there something additional that might make the choice clearer?

Nexus 5 might come to Sprint within a month, or at least news of it.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

CrashCat posted:

The note 3 just launched and seems reasonably awesome. The moto x has me excited, too.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
I got a Note 3 yesterday about when the stores opened. I can't really speak too much for how much of an upgrade it was from any of the earlier of the Note series, but it's a big jump from my old Photon. Used Chainfire's method for rooting off of XDA-Developers and carried over my apps/data using Titanium Backup. Most of them I ended up having to reinstall though, no surprise there. Knox is really annoying but you can freeze it with no consequences that I've seen so far.

For some reason the OpenVPN installer is failing to remount the system partition as readable so I'm going to probably have a go at that today to make it work so I can browse SA at work next week.

Edot: Oh hey, there's a version that doesn't require root. That works.

Prosthetic_Mind fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 5, 2013

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Is a Note 3 really worth the extra $150 over a Galaxy S4 though? Yesterday I looked at both of them and settled on an S4, because it seems to do "being a phone" far better than the Note 3.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I classified the Note 3 as a tablet because gently caress putting that to my ear.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
Honestly I didn't really buy it for use as a phone (It's rare for me to use more than 90 minutes of voice a month) but as a tablet-device that I could occasionally use as a phone if needed. I've made a few calls on it to test it and haven't had any problems. The S-Pen gives enough precision that I've been giving the Android version of Uplink a shot and things seem to be going well.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

RBX posted:

I classified the Note 3 as a tablet because gently caress putting that to my ear.

The note 3, dimensions-wise, is not noticeably lager than the note 2.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

Wizard of Smart posted:

The note 3, dimensions-wise, is not noticeably lager than the note 2.

One of my coworkers has a Note 2. The 3 is very slightly thinner and lighter.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

One of my coworkers has a Note 2. The 3 is very slightly thinner and lighter.

Yeah. I compared my note 2 to the 3 in my store. It's thinner and lighter, but not noticeably larger. So putting it up to your face would actually not be much different.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

My ETF is $100, would I be able to go ahead and trade in my Galaxy Nexus in to cover some (or all) of that cost? Is that a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
The Galaxy Note reminds me of the last episode of Parks and Rec. A belt clip??? NOOOOOOOOOOO.