Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

njsykora posted:

If you're playing solo then yes, yes you did.

Looks like this is the problem I ran into. I would always spawn a large world when playing terraria single player, and ending up with really boring poo poo. I haven't encountered any bosses, water is my enemy, and the best thing i got is a lead sword, and it's been a few hours in.

Screw this, I'm gonna play a small world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
Just to add to the general brokeness of magnet sphere/specter set there's an item that drops from mimics that gives you a second or so of invincibility after every time you take damage. It makes it literally impossible for something to do enough damage to kill you. I just fought the Golem around seven times and at no point did I have more than two hearts off my lifebar. Same with the Twins and the Destroyer.

Also for some strange reason I got the suspicious eye from a chest in the jungle dungeon. Kind of weird to have a summoning item for the first boss in the game in the final endgame dungeon. There was also stuff like lesser healing potions. Maybe they just forgot to code proper loot and it defaulted to basic stuff? Anyway I took advantage of the situation and summoned the eye. Then I proceeded to kill him by peeing all over him. He didn't even get to finish transforming :commissar:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Red went a bit nuts with the new "npcs can tell what kind of biome they're in" code. Ok, so the mushroom guy can only live in a mushroom house, it's annoying that you can't fit him in with whatever theme you're working to for housing, but ok. There's really no need for all the other npcs to sell different things based on what kind of biome they're living in though, that's just loving irritating.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Pilchenstein posted:

Red went a bit nuts with the new "npcs can tell what kind of biome they're in" code. Ok, so the mushroom guy can only live in a mushroom house, it's annoying that you can't fit him in with whatever theme you're working to for housing, but ok. There's really no need for all the other npcs to sell different things based on what kind of biome they're living in though, that's just loving irritating.

I haven't looked too closely at this. Who does it aside from the witch doctor?

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Meldonox posted:

I haven't looked too closely at this. Who does it aside from the witch doctor?

The formula the Steampunker sells for the biome painter thing is based on what biome she's in.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

Solution: build multiple shelters across the different biomes and relocate NPCs as needed. :eng101:

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 6, 2013

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Starhawk64 posted:

Solution: build multiple shelters across the different biomes and relocate NPCs as needed. :eng101:

That's more "workaround" than solution. It's still a pain while not providing any meaningful gameplay challenge.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yea it's bad game design. It's ok if the vendors update their inventory as the game progresses, but you should haven't to micro-manage your NPCs to get whatever they are selling.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Really, once you get the Steampunker, you only have to change the biomes once to buy all the different solutions. Then you can use those to change your house area with the clemtaminator to whatever you want for whichever biome you need at that moment. What really sucks is that if you make a mushroom environment for the fungus guy, then swap it back, you can't move him unless the place you want him to move is also in the mushroom biome.

Though I did figure out that you dont have to plant a whole bunch of mud and set it to grow, the glowing mushrooms themselves count towards making the area a biome. So if you do it right, you can make one block be the difference between mushroom and not. Though it's too much work for one NPC.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Hooray, beat Plantera. :toot: First round ended up a bust because it got lost and despawned, but I got it the second time. Not before it had killed a wizard and like three guides though. Is the key just a one-time use?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

McDragon posted:

Hooray, beat Plantera. :toot: First round ended up a bust because it got lost and despawned, but I got it the second time. Not before it had killed a wizard and like three guides though. Is the key just a one-time use?

Yeah, key is one time use but there's only one door to unlock with it so it should be fine.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

McDragon posted:

Is the key just a one-time use?
Yes, but hopefully you get the Picksaw from the Golem so in future worlds you can just mine your way in w/o having to kill Plantera.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Machai posted:

Yes, but hopefully you get the Picksaw from the Golem so in future worlds you can just mine your way in w/o having to kill Plantera.

I've had 50 temple keys drop from plantera while trying to get the axe, no need to break the temple.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, that's ok then. Just didn't want to open up a poo poo temple and miss out on cracking open one with good stuff. But if you can just dig them open later I guess it doesn't matter too much. Thanks.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

McDragon posted:

Oh, that's ok then. Just didn't want to open up a poo poo temple and miss out on cracking open one with good stuff. But if you can just dig them open later I guess it doesn't matter too much. Thanks.

I don't think the temples have anything special in them besides the boss drops. You can farm the enemies to get the item that summons the boss so I don't think there's any danger.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

McDragon posted:

While I farmed for the golem activator items I found 2 temples without the altar, so you can be poo poo out of luck anyway.

kazil posted:

I don't think the temples have anything special in them besides the boss drops. You can farm the enemies to get the item that summons the boss so I don't think there's any danger.

They got a poo poo awful droprate, easier to make new worlds to farm the temple.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The temple in general is kind of lackluster beyond the boss, unless you want to take the traps for yourself.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Jusupov posted:

They got a poo poo awful droprate, easier to make new worlds to farm the temple.

If you don't get the pickaxe from the Golem and don't want to farm Plantera, you don't have much coice, though.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
It's possible to force Plantera to only spawn in one area via terraforming, right?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

After a good 30+ hours of making elaborate fortresses I finally killed a boss. :shepface:

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Shukaro posted:

It's possible to force Plantera to only spawn in one area via terraforming, right?

I got a smaller jungle area for the witch doctor and it has never spawned there. I cut 8 hellevators in the jungle and just fall down or fly up them to find the pink bulb.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Is Iron even in the game? I cant even build beds and other items because I lack the intermediates :smith:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
The new alternative ore Lead might have replaced your Iron, they are functionally identical but Lead weapons/armor are a bit stronger.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Kinetica posted:

Is Iron even in the game? I cant even build beds and other items because I lack the intermediates :smith:

If you don't have Iron, check to see if you have Lead. It's the same stuff as far as recipes go.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Kinetica posted:

It's possible you've just had bad luck and not found any easy to get iron, but check your world hasn't spawned with lead instead, which works exactly the same in all recipes.

I wish they'd come up with a robot version of the brain. It was really disappointing to get to an altar with vertebrae instead of chunks and still get the same boss.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
My hardmode Crimson is inside my jungle and is spreading. Does this mean I'm on a time limit to get stuff out of the hardmode jungle/jungle underground, or does it not spread underground? Do the spawn tables get shared if it's a crimson jungle?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Daeren posted:

My hardmode Crimson is inside my jungle and is spreading. Does this mean I'm on a time limit to get stuff out of the hardmode jungle/jungle underground, or does it not spread underground? Do the spawn tables get shared if it's a crimson jungle?

Use the gun thing from the Steampunk lady to cleanse the crimson and it should grow back into jungle.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Well poo poo, guess I should restart.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Machai posted:

Use the gun thing from the Steampunk lady to cleanse the crimson and it should grow back into jungle.

I don't think you quite grasp what I meant by inside.

(That strip on the right is the new Crimson, the bit on the left was the original biome)

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How do you make a cave into the glowy mushroom cave zones?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Daeren posted:

I don't think you quite grasp what I meant by inside.

(That strip on the right is the new Crimson, the bit on the left was the original biome)

Whoah, did your jungle dungeon turn into crimstone somehow?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

MooCowlian posted:

Whoah, did your jungle dungeon turn into crimstone somehow?

No, I'm using TEdit and it hasn't updated its sprite display for new stuff yet, so any new tile is that neon pink.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

I thought, pre-1.2 at least, that the corruption couldn't spread to jungle tiles.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kazil posted:

I thought, pre-1.2 at least, that the corruption couldn't spread to jungle tiles.

Crimson isn't corruption.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Spergminer posted:

I'm still lost in all the new content, and other than farming Plantera and looking for some kind of Lunar Boss (check the soundtrack), I haven't been looking for keys. And now I learn these lovely keys are a 1/4000 drop from biome monster? Really?

Lunar Boss won't come until 1.2.1 or whatever in a month or so, Red said. :getin:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Why are the hearts gold colored in some of your screens? I AM SO LOST.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Crimson isn't corruption.

It does work off of the same code for spreading however, and no, the hardmode jungle can't be crim-rupted. That was changed in a minor patch to 1.1.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Gonkish posted:

More than 400 hit points.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Where do you get teleporter pads?

*edit: Nevermind, the steampunker sells them. It just wasn't in the Wiki for teleporter

Dr. Fraiser Chain fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Gonkish posted:

There is an item in the hardmode jungle that increases your health by 5. Each time you eat it, one of your hearts turns golden.

• Locked thread