Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

.TakaM posted:

Being able to upload 720p screenshots is a pretty great feature

How does one go about that?

e: Ahhh, I see. Go to upload something in the browser. Nifty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Yeah, if you're looking for an easy upload site I recommend copy.com

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Oct 5, 2013

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Minus works pretty well, I also tried Twitter but I think it reduces the size of the screenshot.

Also the Swift Sail in WWHD is basically the best thing ever so make sure you get it from the auction as soon as possible.

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 5, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I definitely played the original Rayman. I guess I just assumed it was on the SNES. Now that I think about it, it might have been on 32X.

Edit: or maybe not. gently caress. I know I played it but can't remember on what. Ah well.

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 5, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm going to guess you played it on a jaguar emulator.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Did anyone pick up their ganon figurines? I got mine and while it looks great the feet don't fit in the podium that came with him.

Not to mention the gamestop I went to tried to tell me that "they lost my order". Put my foot down and said I wasn't going to leave till they figured something out and "oh we had a mysterious spare in the back all along silly us."

I had to be a bit firm with the feet which admittedly scared the crap out of me. That said, it did fit properly.

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics

.TakaM posted:

Being able to upload 720p screenshots is a pretty great feature

Is there a way to post HD screenshots from Art Academy? I tried the new upload method but it doesn't seem to work with that program, and Miiverse decreases the resolution too much.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Saturniid19 posted:

Is there a way to post HD screenshots from Art Academy? I tried the new upload method but it doesn't seem to work with that program, and Miiverse decreases the resolution too much.

It doesnt include a way to save it to an SD card? That wouldve been a huge no-brainer, come on Nintendo!

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

I didn't know WWHD came out yesterday instead of Sunday. :/

Anyways I went to EB Games today to pick up my pre-order and the manager -- who is pretty loving awesome, btw -- holds out a box. It's the statue edition of WW! He says "This is for you." I actually did jump up and down like a fool. :downs:

I guess his assistant manager was able to secure one more copy the day it went available and put one aside for me since he knew I was asking about it. I was just expecting the statue-less version so this was a really awesome, and unexpected, surprise.

Plus Super Mario Galaxy 2 is on sale for $35 so got that as well. :dance:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Cherokee Jack posted:

Plus Super Mario Galaxy 2 is on sale for $35 so got that as well. :dance:

What was the sticker price on that when it came out three and a half years ago, $50? It's insane how expensive Nintendo games are, even years after release.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I'm kinda late to this, but is anyone else disappointed at Super Mario 3D World from a graphical perspective? I mean, it's not an ugly game by any means, but I hear it's only 720p. This is being developed by EAD Tokyo, who have proved themselves to be the most technically proficient internal developer at Nintendo. And if they can't even make it 1080p, well...

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Mr Interweb posted:

I'm kinda late to this, but is anyone else disappointed at Super Mario 3D World from a graphical perspective? I mean, it's not an ugly game by any means, but I hear it's only 720p. This is being developed by EAD Tokyo, who have proved themselves to be the most technically proficient internal developer at Nintendo. And if they can't even make it 1080p, well...

A large amount of games are rendered at 720p and upscaled. Even Ryse on the XBox One is rendered at 900p, not 1080p. It's disappointing, but it is industry standard. :smith:

DigitalDud
Sep 6, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

I'm kinda late to this, but is anyone else disappointed at Super Mario 3D World from a graphical perspective? I mean, it's not an ugly game by any means, but I hear it's only 720p.

As long as they keep up the 60fps target from the Galaxy games, I couldn't care less.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

I don't think there's been any confirmation on SM3DW yet, but the new Smash Bros, Mario Kart, & Bayonetta 2 run at 1080p 60fps, so I'm gonna assume 3D world will too.

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 5, 2013

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For resolution past a certain point I can't say I care. Just like I didn't care that there were a bunch of 640p or whatever games before, or that 1080p won't be standard going forward. If the image quality is good enough it's a moot point for me basically.

I'm more anal about framerate though, and Mario is 60fps, so :dance:

.TakaM posted:

I don't think there's been any confirmation on SM3DW yet, but the new Smash Bros, Mario Kart, & Bayonetta 2 run at 1080p 60fps, so I'm gonna assume 3D world will too.
Smash is the only one they've said 1080 on I think, the rest are 720 iirc. I remember the confusing/conflicting statements on that stuff though.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

.TakaM posted:

Aren't all those games 720p, minus SSB4?

edit: beaten

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Ah yes..
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/ardj/detail/index.html
Where it says 1080p on the right- if you translate the rest of the text it says it's upscaled from 720p, I don't really mind though, framerate is more important.
And it looks like everyone's now saying MK8 and B2 are upscaled also, but they'll both be 60fps too. Smash Bros still confirmed at 1080p 60fps though, Sakurai said it himself and here's a 1080p shot to prove it

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 6, 2013

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lust making sure, I can't use the Gamepad to watch something on Twitch while also playing Wind Waker or something on the main screen, right? Because that would be awesome but I'm 99% sure there's no way for the system to multitask like that.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

You can suspend/resume a game to use any of the apps on the Home menu, but you can't multitask and have two different things running at once.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I picked up Rayman Legends today since it had dropped in price. Holy poo poo this game is fun. And the end world rhythm stages are pretty much the best thing ever.

I also like how between lucky tickets, lums, and teenies you're just constantly unlocking things after practically every level.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Supercar Gautier posted:

You can suspend/resume a game to use any of the apps on the Home menu, but you can't multitask and have two different things running at once.

How does this work? Can you pause a game, switch over to Netflix to watch an episode of something, and then switch back to the game right at the point where you paused it? Like, without going through the main menu or loading a save file? How fast is it?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Bass Bottles posted:

How does this work? Can you pause a game, switch over to Netflix to watch an episode of something, and then switch back to the game right at the point where you paused it? Like, without going through the main menu or loading a save file? How fast is it?

Not netflix, no, but the stuff that appears when you hit the Home button. Web browser, Tvii, etc.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

Not netflix, no, but the stuff that appears when you hit the Home button. Web browser, Tvii, etc.

Oh, darn. Well I guess off-TV play is the ultimate form of multitasking in a way. You just need a second device.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Looks like Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon might be coming to the Wii U. As one of the few people on Earth who doesn't have a 3DS, let me be the first to say :woop:!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Newegg has incorrectly listed a ton of stuff in the past, don't get too excited.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Newegg has incorrectly listed a ton of stuff in the past, don't get too excited.

Like how earthbound was listed as a retail game on Amazon? Or Kid Icarus Uprising for the Wii U on Amazon France?

I like how they have a boxart even. Nice mockup.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Maybe if they keep spreading it Nintendo will just make it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

JordanKai posted:

Looks like Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon might be coming to the Wii U. As one of the few people on Earth who doesn't have a 3DS, let me be the first to say :woop:!

That's cool, I wanted to play the new Luigi's Mansion, but didn't want to play it on my 3DS. Actually, that goes for every game I'm interested in on the 3DS.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What time do the Club Nintendo rewards (US) change?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

That loving Sned posted:

That's cool, I wanted to play the new Luigi's Mansion, but didn't want to play it on my 3DS. Actually, that goes for every game I'm interested in on the 3DS.

My experience with Phoenix Wright has been mostly on the Wii so it'd be nice if I could continue that on the Wii U.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Like how earthbound was listed as a retail game on Amazon? Or Kid Icarus Uprising for the Wii U on Amazon France?

I like how they have a boxart even. Nice mockup.

The boxart was taken from someone's DeviantART account so don't get excited.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

I want Wii Fit Bowser Edition

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The Wii Fit Trainer screenshots with all the various Nintendo characters trying to match her poses have been the best part of the Super Smash Bros previews so far for me. They're just so silly.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Honestly, at this point I'd like a game where Bowser is the hero. Sorta like Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land. He has, for some time, been more charismatic to me than Mario has and I would like to see him steal the spotlight for a change. Hell, copy the drat plot for all I care. I would play it.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Iacen posted:

Honestly, at this point I'd like a game where Bowser is the hero. Sorta like Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land. He has, for some time, been more charismatic to me than Mario has and I would like to see him steal the spotlight for a change. Hell, copy the drat plot for all I care. I would play it.

Do I have some news for you.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Iacen posted:

Since the "Nintendo characters are just actors and the games are merely new shows to perform in" thing is pretty much true, it would be very easy to do a Mario Villains game without it feeling like you are ruining the characters. Heck, we all easily forget that Donkey Kong was a villain before he was a protagonist.

They don't have to do my Saints Row dream but maybe a Rampage/King of the Monsters style game where Bowser, King Wart, Wario and Waluigi destroy a city by fighting each other. Or Bowser decides he needs to invade new territory instead of just the Mushroom kingdom so you play it under his perspective as a liberating hero.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Heck, we all easily forget that Donkey Kong was a villain before he was a protagonist.

That was Kranky Kong! :argh: Donky Kong's always been a regular upstanding citizen.

Unless you touch his bananas.

e: vvvvv Donkey Kong is susceptible to good marketing :colbert:

Sockser fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 7, 2013

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Sockser posted:

That was Kranky Kong! :argh: Donky Kong's always been a regular upstanding citizen.

Unless you touch his bananas.

How do you explain Mario vs. Donkey kong then.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pixeltendo posted:

How do you explain Mario vs. Donkey kong then.

Donkey went to buy the new Nintendo toy but Gamestop had sold his pre-order because he wasn't there at midnight, so like what happens with anyone in this situation, he flew into a rage, killed several children and stole an entire assembly line's worth of the toy and now has to fight off a 5-star wanted level. That doesn't make him the bad guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Man Wind Waker HD is making me wonder which controller they'll use for Zelda U. I want them to stick with motion controls because I thought they were amazing in Skyward Sword, but the second screen in WWHD is super helpful. Having the map right there and being able to switch items without pausing is great. The gyroscope controls for aiming the grappling hook/bow etc feel really good too. I just hope the polarizing reaction to the SS controls doesn't make Nintendo ditch them altogether because going back to regular 3D Zelda combat would feel like a downgrade to me.

For me I think a Pikmin 3 style set up would be best, where you use the Wii Remote/Nunchuk but you still have the gamepad on as an accessory. I guess having Wii Remote/Nunchuk as the primary control scheme in a Wii U game might just confuse people and cause problems though.

E: I'm not trying to start the Skyward Sword motion control debate for the millionth time, I'm just thinking about what role the gamepad will play in the next main Zelda.

• Locked thread