Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Gonkish posted:

Why are the hearts gold colored in some of your screens? I AM SO LOST.

Hardmode Jungle drops a new item that increases your health above the old 400 maximum (new max is 500 I think) and is represented by the yellow hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Is there a simple map viewer that works with 1.2? I don't need to edit the map or hunt down chests or anything too fancy. I just want to make sure my world has a pyramid and crimson.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well that was weird. I dug down to hell and was tunneling around looking for goodies when I saw what looked like two overlapping shadow chests. I clicked on one and got 3 shadow chests in my inventory. I realized I could put down/pick up a torch rapidly and just spawn in empty shadow chests. I brought back 79. Didn't have a key to unlock the real one, but I assume it'll stop being buggy as hell when I do.

My storage problems are over!

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How do you make the new infinite waterfalls with the hammer?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

WYA posted:

How do you make the new infinite waterfalls with the hammer?

Hammer a block next to a liquid into a half-block, that'll create the start of one.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Holy poo poo, you people were right about Spectre armor. I was getting my rear end kicked before, while wearing full adamantium armor, but now I'm going in and using Magnet Sphere in a full suit of Spectre armor and I just can't die.

EDIT: Okay, so I did end up dying and when I respawned HOLY poo poo DESTROYER IS loving UP MY TOWN.

Thank god this is my old pre-1.2 world, and not my new one, or else I'd be really upset that all my NPCs are dying.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 6, 2013

Dumlefudge
Feb 25, 2013

The Colonel posted:

Holy poo poo, you people were right about Spectre armor. I was getting my rear end kicked before, while wearing full adamantium armor, but now I'm going in and using Magnet Sphere in a full suit of Spectre armor and I just can't die.

Grind some Diabolists in the dungeon and get yourself an Inferno Fork. As much as I love the Magnet Sphere (just because it's cool), the Inferno Fork is insane (with or without the Spectre Armor). Making a massive ball of flame that burns everything repeatedly, sets them on fire and sprays you with glorious streams of white healing goo is just... amazing. I want another Solar Eclipse (with Battle Potion) in my world just so I can set fire to as many things as possible...

This doesn't make me a pyromaniac, right? :ohdear:

In other (rather old) news, grinding the hardmode dungeon keys is a bitch though... I really want to see how badass the Hydra is.

Dumlefudge fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 6, 2013

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

ChibiSoma posted:

Well that was weird. I dug down to hell and was tunneling around looking for goodies when I saw what looked like two overlapping shadow chests. I clicked on one and got 3 shadow chests in my inventory. I realized I could put down/pick up a torch rapidly and just spawn in empty shadow chests. I brought back 79. Didn't have a key to unlock the real one, but I assume it'll stop being buggy as hell when I do.

My storage problems are over!

I had the same thing happen with ice chests once. I think I only wound up with three or four of them, though. At first I thought it was just a really obvious mimic.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The Colonel posted:

I'm not convinced by the magnet sphere/spectre armour thing. It certainly works, but I still think that the added defense from going turtle/chlorophyte armour and the vampire knives is better. The sphere is just so slow.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

MooCowlian posted:

I'm not convinced by the magnet sphere/spectre armour thing. It certainly works, but I still think that the added defense from going turtle/chlorophyte armour and the vampire knives is better. The sphere is just so slow.

The difference is that you need one of the 0.01% dropchance keys to obtain the vampire knives, while the sphere is a quite common drop in the dungeon.

I've killed all the hardmode bosses solo with no problems at all using just the spectre/sphere combo.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
It's a pretty bad spell, but I really like the Staff of Earth. Nothing like swinging a staff not for some pansy rear end magic, but to toss a big loving boulder at fools. Its damage is directly dependent on its velocity, so once it slows down it just does nothing (although at maximum speed its damage is much higher than the tooltip states).

Dumlefudge posted:

In other (rather old) news, grinding the hardmode dungeon keys is a bitch though... I really want to see how badass the Hydra is.

It's not that impressive. He's good for hunting down enemies on the other side of a wall if you don't feel like digging through (can be summoned anywhere on your screen), but his DPS is so-so, and I'm pretty sure he can't crit.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 6, 2013

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

MooCowlian posted:

Try the inferno fork instead. It's got way more damage than the magnet sphere.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Vampire Knives are great and all but not having any penetration puts Specter Armor's magic arsenal ahead for me.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Vampire knives also interact well with the confetti potions, which are the most important part of my build. Does confetti synergise well with magic?

Dumlefudge
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

It's not that impressive. He's good for hunting down enemies on the other side of a wall if you don't feel like digging through (can be summoned anywhere on your screen), but his DPS is so-so, and I'm pretty sure he can't crit.
Really? Bah, lame... I suppose I'll get back to roasting fools and, once I feel like doing a lot of digging, make a big crater in the middle of my underground biomes (I'm torn between starting in the Jungle and Hallow because who doesn't want to shoot piranhas or piss rainbows) so I can set up a nice big killing field to make mob grinding just a little bit less tedious.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Dumlefudge posted:

Really? Bah, lame... I suppose I'll get back to roasting fools and, once I feel like doing a lot of digging, make a big crater in the middle of my underground biomes (I'm torn between starting in the Jungle and Hallow because who doesn't want to shoot piranhas or piss rainbows) so I can set up a nice big killing field to make mob grinding just a little bit less tedious.

Don't get me wrong, having it is much better than not having it. He doesn't take damage, is somewhat accurate, lasts a long time, and his damage is decent. There's no reason not to throw him out whenever for the extra ~150 damage per second, but he's just not going to look all that impressive. He doesn't change your game as much as the all-powerful Rainbow Gun.

Now if only the Tiki set let you summon more than one...

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
For all of you who want to cheat but don't know how, or don't want to use a cheat engine, I stumbled across a duplication bug you can do at any vendor.

Open up the shop window, and sell a few pieces of silver or gold. They vendor for their exact price so as long as you don't close the window, you can always "buy" it back to end up with your original amount. Right-click and hold while the mouse is on an empty adjacent tile, until you hear the game's ching sound rapid-fire. Then quickly slide your mouse back over the money you sold to the shop. You should end up with 1 to 10 extra pieces than what should have been available to buy, but for free. Works with stackable items too!

It's easier to do with large stacks because sometimes buying them all back will result in duplicates anyway.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Found a lucky horse shoe on a floating island. I love this thing, half my deaths are a result of some loving slime leaping out of the darkness and tackling me into a bottomless abyss.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

MooCowlian posted:

The sphere is just a sideshow, you need to fling piss at your enemies to be a true wizard.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Kersch posted:

Is there a simple map viewer that works with 1.2? I don't need to edit the map or hunt down chests or anything too fancy. I just want to make sure my world has a pyramid and crimson.

I use TEdit to take a quick look at my map right after gen. You can even edit as you see fit.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
You know what's fun, but might lag your game to death? Fighting the Destroyer with piss. Tried it earlier with my full Spectral guy, and managed to take off like 1/4 to 1/2 of its health (can't remember exactly) in one pass. I thought my game was going to sputter and die though. It was glorious.

E: does anyone know whether dungeon keys spawn in surfac biomes? I don't really want to have to clear out an area in the UG snow.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 7, 2013

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Well, I'm mostly done with my Sun Pyramid.

Now to finish the Moon Pyramid :getin:

Bonus gravitation shot:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

lohli posted:

You should be able to get around that with the host being in multiple hamachi network groups.
Well, this is certainly a thing.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Ashsaber posted:

E: does anyone know whether dungeon keys spawn in surfac biomes? I don't really want to have to clear out an area in the UG snow.

They do, I got my corruption key on the surface.

Holy poo poo, my main world is on its third blood moon in a row. This wouldn't be much of a problem if there were anything useful I could be doing away from my base in a non-hardmode world. This coupled with my finding out on another world of mine that the wiki was wrong about your NPCs getting killed offscreen during an eclipse while I fight and fail to defend them is kind of starting to annoy me.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Can you drop a bunch of snow to make the background be a 'snow' background? I was building up my homebase/tower, and as soon as I get above a certain height the background reverts to being forest instead of snowy mountains. Kinda... dumb.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
What's the easiest way to get to a flying island if I'd prefer not to mess up my map (or take the time to disassemble) with a huge pile of dirt/whatever growing up off the ground? Or is that really the only reasonable way prior to end game stuff like Wings?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

nessin posted:

What's the easiest way to get to a flying island if I'd prefer not to mess up my map (or take the time to disassemble) with a huge pile of dirt/whatever growing up off the ground? Or is that really the only reasonable way prior to end game stuff like Wings?
If you can get your hands on a Gravity potion, that'll help. Just flip around in the sky until you find them.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

nessin posted:

Gravitation potions. Even stuff like wings won't get you all the way on anything but a small world with a hill to launch from. Honestly, nerd poling is pretty much the best way of doing it the first time. Gravitation potions need feathers which you'll only get from high up, but hopefully you can find a few in chests or something until it's feasible to actually farm the required ingredients.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Stumbled across the Crimson in my new world, and those wall spiders are real freaky. Spiders have never bothered me that much (doubly so in games) but those really got in my head.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Does anybody else have trouble with above-ground mushroom farms? The wiki says that the biome doesn't spawn anything nasty outside of hard mode or a blood moon, but then I got eaten alive by a mushi ladybug that did about 50 damage a hit through my silver armor. :gonk:

Bear in mind that I was being attacked by poo poo like this constantly, that and supercharged mushroom zombies that could tear down doors in two hits.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

nessin posted:

You could make a pile of Meteor shot, fire it straight up and wait a few seconds. If it bounces off something and comes back down, you've probably found one.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Does it travel indefinitely/never land if there's no island above you? I've never tried using meteor shot like that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Does anybody else have trouble with above-ground mushroom farms? The wiki says that the biome doesn't spawn anything nasty outside of hard mode or a blood moon, but then I got eaten alive by a mushi ladybug that did about 50 damage a hit through my silver armor. :gonk:
Yeah, nothing nasty. Mushi Ladybug ain't poo poo, it's just a dumb "charge and jump" enemy. When it says it shouldn't spawn anything big, it means really bad enemies, like spore spitters :shepface:

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

nftyw posted:

You could make a pile of Meteor shot, fire it straight up and wait a few seconds. If it bounces off something and comes back down, you've probably found one.

Meteor armor, space gun, run along shooting into the air and turn your sound up - I found the TINK TINK TINK of it hitting cloud pretty easy to hear.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Something I forgot in my previous post, are there any editors or anything out that will allow you to forcibly spawn the Tinker or just set him as already found on a save? Bugging the hell out of me that I haven't found him, even with about 3 hours dedicated to just wandering around caves after my first Goblin Army.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

nessin posted:

Something I forgot in my previous post, are there any editors or anything out that will allow you to forcibly spawn the Tinker or just set him as already found on a save? Bugging the hell out of me that I haven't found him, even with about 3 hours dedicated to just wandering around caves after my first Goblin Army.

TEdit has options to force-spawn NPCs; it's how I got the Party Girl on my main world.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

nessin posted:

The new Tedit claims to be able to do this, you should be able to open your world (after backing it up), check the "saved Goblin" box, hit save and have him show up on the next cycle of NPC spawns.

So, once I've defeated the Golem.. Is that it? Do I have to kill Plantera again for another temple key so I can go to a different world's temple and loot the power cells to fight him some more, or do they just (rarely) drop off the mobs in there?

Also, Nimbus cloud and a small platform 3-wide above your head makes most of his attacks useless, you can just stand there and let the rain do the work. Until the last 10% health when his eye-lasers start actually hurting a bit.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Okay, I think I've given it enough time to know the conditions. You can make a Chlorophite farm so long as you have a single Chlorophite ore and as much mud as you want to make into Chlorophite. The conditions are that the world has to be hard mode and the farm area needs to be below sea level, if not the cavern layer, and you aren't required to make it a jungle for it to work. The more mud you have the longer it takes to spread, but you can use multiple bits of ore spread out to make it go faster.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Akett posted:

The more mud you have the longer it takes to spread, but you can use multiple bits of ore spread out to make it go faster.

So it basically spreads the same way that mushroom/jungle grass does, except it converts past the outermost layer of the mud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Are the dungeons just always blue all the time now? I've generated four worlds and all the dungeons are blue on blue. I wiped my game and started over so now I don't have any pink dungeon blocks and those amused me.

• Locked thread