Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'm in Denver at the moment and went to see Big Boy 4005 in the transport museum today.
It was pretty good, but unfortunately it's basically impossible to get a nice shot of because there's nowhere to stand back far enough.

It was a pretty decent museum but be warned - if your interest is mainly locos and not so much cars, motorbikes and old-timey bicycles then it's probably not worth the admission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

~Coxy posted:

I'm in Denver at the moment and went to see Big Boy 4005 in the transport museum today.
It was pretty good, but unfortunately it's basically impossible to get a nice shot of because there's nowhere to stand back far enough.

It was a pretty decent museum but be warned - if your interest is mainly locos and not so much cars, motorbikes and old-timey bicycles then it's probably not worth the admission.

Is the Forney (SP?) Museum still around? good lord, that place gave me the creeps back in the day. Some sweet sweet old cars in there though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

That was it! They moved to a new building though, so I assume it used to be even dodgier. Some of the wax figures are still pretty creepy though!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

B4Ctom1 posted:

Oh thats what that is. Here I hauled this on the 12th.

Whoa, is that some kind of new version of the MP36PH?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

On the subject of passenger motive power, the MBTA is getting a bunch of these delivered soon:

They put out 4,650 hp, which I believe makes them the most powerful 4 axle diesel electrics in the world? Pity they're so ugly.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Where does the front ladder on the pink one go. The second one goes to a door?, the front one goes up to some hand rails. :iiam:

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Wibbleman posted:

Where does the front ladder on the pink one go. The second one goes to a door?, the front one goes up to some hand rails. :iiam:

Probably for the conductor to ride

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Wibbleman posted:

For the homeless guy to get up to the windshield to wash it for his dollar.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Practical joke for the new guy, see if he climbs up the wrong ladder.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

NoWake posted:

Ahh just look at all those perfect rails and perfect ties :allears: Do any of the sims have MOW operations?

Make it so you sit in the truck for a few hours waiting for a train. Then you call the DS and they tell you they have 1 more Z train to get through, which turns into 3 more trains. After this, you finally get track and time for 30 minutes.

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

StandardVC10 posted:

Looks like part of the fuel tank has fallen off.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

StandardVC10 posted:

My old head coworkers seem to feel that this is some old yard switch engine/mule its been rebuilt, regeared, and tarted up to resemble a passenger engine.

edit:
A review of key features makes this appear to be a MP36PH-3C

then a review of this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPI_MPXpress#MP36PH-3C

shows me this

quote:

SunRail's version will differ from the norm as in addition to being refurbished, it will have a switcher-like body unlike the fully enclosed body standard to the MPXpress locomotives. The streamlined cab will still remain in place though.

So yep.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 3, 2013

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Well, poo poo.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Brother Jonathan posted:

Well, poo poo.

:stare:

Edit: I know smilie-only replies are sometimes frowned upon but I feel like this is an appropriate situation for it.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 4, 2013

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
This was much more entertaining on Friday night.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 6, 2013

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

So using an Indian accent for the terrorist train and framing this with Islamic spiritual music.. classy.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

From reddit:

quote:

That, I am honestly not sure of. We have another thing called the HpTa (horse power per ton analyzer) if by some chance you aren't tonned out, the company will helpfully add additional throttle restrictions so you run as though you are tonned out. For example, the train is normally 14000 tons, with two units that on paper show 4400 horsepower each. Now today though, there aren't as many cars, and not as many are loaded, and now the train tonnage is around 10000. Instead of saying, okay, we can actually make some decent time with this train at 0.9 HpT, the company will say you are not allowed to use maximum throttle, you are restricted to the 7th notch, as that will bring your HpT closer to 0.6. Saving fuel. Somehow.

Holy poo poo, is that true? That blows.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Sounds like the BN. UP uses TPA (tons per equvilant powered axle) and FCS 50.

With out going into detail and I'm also on my phone, its basically you can only use notch 5 to maintain speed over 50. Under 50 you can use what ever it takes. Its a velocity/fuel savings calculator that is a good compromise.

But usually certain super hot Z trains get exempted on a regular basis.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Illinois Railway Museum trip report.

It's good and not too expensive; I had a good time.
Unfortunately it is out in Union IL, and the roads are pretty crappy to get there.
Secondly, it used to be an electric railway museum and the collection reflects that. The steamers are all in a single shed stacked head to toe, and half of them are all Northerns.

Still, they have their own line and regularly run trains up and down it, and riding on them is free with admission. It would be much better to visit when the whole line is running with steam, as opposed to half the line (closed for filming) with an electric subway car.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
In defense of IRM's mostly electric operations, it costs the museum a helluva lot less to give people real train rides using an assortment of old "L" cars / interurbans / streetcars than using diesels every day of the week (let alone steam).

For some reason lots of filmmakers decided they wanted to film out at IRM this year. A new show on ABC called "Betrayal" shot a short segment there in May or so (a drama about people cheating on each other apparently - the trailer is on youtube, and you can see the scene shot at the museum). Then a chase scene for the next Transformers movie was shot there maybe a month ago, and the stuff being shot out there this week is a commuter train wreck for the "Chicago Fire" show.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I've been to the Illinois Railway Museum a few times, but sadly never when they have steam operating :( Pretty cool otherwise.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
This picture seems to fit the thread title of "Locomotive Insanity" well:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bytebark posted:

In defense of IRM's mostly electric operations, it costs the museum a helluva lot less to give people real train rides using an assortment of old "L" cars / interurbans / streetcars than using diesels every day of the week (let alone steam).

For some reason lots of filmmakers decided they wanted to film out at IRM this year. A new show on ABC called "Betrayal" shot a short segment there in May or so (a drama about people cheating on each other apparently - the trailer is on youtube, and you can see the scene shot at the museum). Then a chase scene for the next Transformers movie was shot there maybe a month ago, and the stuff being shot out there this week is a commuter train wreck for the "Chicago Fire" show.

I can't believe they're making another loving Transformers movie.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Brother Jonathan posted:

This is awesome, and yet it makes me very sad. The promise of the "future" back in America's heyday was great. Our grandparents had saved the world and were investing in America's future, so that their children would have a better tomorrow. And what did their children, our parents, do to further that legacy? They poo poo on everything their parents did for them, gutted unions and the labor movement, got greedy and gave corporations and the rich all of the power and look at the loving mess we are in because of their short-sightedness. Our infrastructure hasn't been touched since WW2, all of the funding we poured into science and technology has all but dried up, and its only now, in their twilight, that our parent's generation have only started to realize their colossal mistake because they dismantled the very social safety net that their parents broke their backs to build for them.

I'll get off my soapbox now, but goddamn it makes me sad to think that the rest of the world is going to pass us by and we'll still be stuck cleaning up the mess our parents made. Maybe our children will get to ride on bullet trains powered by renewable energy...

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Brother Jonathan posted:

OK, the fact that I have a PoliSci degree and very little technical knowledge is going to be on massive display here, but: Why NOT nuclear trains?

I'm assuming that the #1 issue is cooling, since everything nuclear powered seems to need a huge amount of water to stay cool and is either located next to a body of water (every power generating reactor I can think of), or is floating in a body of water (the Navy).

Is safety an issue too? We don't want a nuclear train to derail and have very bad things happen? I'm not sure what kind of containment or automatic SCRAMing capability you'd need.

But if you can produce a reactor that doesn't need gross amounts of room temp water to stay cool, and has some kind of failsafe on it in case of an accident, trains seem like an ideal land -based application of nuclear propulsion. I assume that's too big of an IF to be addressed, though.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 7, 2013

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

First guess: NIMBYs.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

stealie72 posted:

OK, the fact that I have a PoliSci degree and very little technical knowledge is going to be on massive display here, but: Why NOT nuclear trains?

Because it's easier, safer, and more efficient to just have nuclear reactors power electrified rails.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

stealie72 posted:

I'm assuming that the #1 issue is cooling, since everything nuclear powered seems to a huge amount of water to stay cool and is either located next to a body of water (every power generating reactor I can think of), or is floating in a body of water (the Navy).

You could make it aircooled, the faster you go the better the cooling!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
The short explanation is that air-cooled reactors are each a rolling Chernobyl waiting to happen.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Brother Jonathan posted:

Because it's easier, safer, and more efficient to just have nuclear reactors power electrified rails.

The only real answer to why nuclear-powered locomotives aren't a thing.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Brother Jonathan posted:

I've wondered about that, but would continent-spanning electric rails have their own massive set of downsides that keep them from being practical/safe? It would be awesome if everything could run off a third rail or a transit-type overhead wire.

EightBit posted:

The short explanation is that air-cooled reactors are each a rolling Chernobyl waiting to happen.

That's sort of what I figured, but I wondered if it's an inherent problem, or a problem with our current level of nuclear technology.

All of this daydreaming comes from wondering how to not run trains on fossil fuels, because trains seem like the most sensible transport to use alternate fuels (as opposed to cars, planes, etc).

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
For more information about air cooled nuclear reactors, see this awesome (and terrifying) wiki entry.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Huge_Midget posted:

For more information about air cooled nuclear reactors, see this awesome (and terrifying) wiki entry.

HAH. That was all entirely controlled. How about one that broke out of control and caught fire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windscale_fire

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

stealie72 posted:

I've wondered about that, but would continent-spanning electric rails have their own massive set of downsides that keep them from being practical/safe? It would be awesome if everything could run off a third rail or a transit-type overhead wire.

Japan is all overhead wire including freight and was nuclear powered.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Huge_Midget posted:

I am all for a nuclear ramjet train that poisons everything around it with fission products. EXTREME TRANSPORT.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Trains derail with frightening regularity. Nuclear reactors require extensive training and oversight to operate. Crew size would likely go up. Unions would be in a place to hold the railroads over a barrel forever. Reactors weigh a significant amount. Coolant weighs a significant amount. The cost per locomotive would increase exponentially and would likely require a government license to build and operate. Because power costs more, you can't afford as many locomotives so you have to run longer faster trains in order to keep volume up. Spent nuclear fuel has long term costs associated that probably bring its actual cost closer to or greater than diesel per ton/mile or whatever metric you want to use. The cost to the customer increases(significantly) for little real service gain. You still need to operate diesel-electric engines to service local industry and do yard work.

etc.

edit: Atomic locomotives would be pretty cool but if it was so infeasible that the Russians didn't make one than there is no way they would have in America.

CharlesM posted:

Japan is all overhead wire including freight and was nuclear powered.

Japan is much smaller and more densely populated than the United States.

I'm at the REDI right now for a HAZMAT class. Tons of new conductors wandering the halls in yellow hats and new trainmasters sitting in endless classes. As lovely as being a trainmaster might be, I still want to transfer out of intermodal when I can. I loving hate sitting in an office staring at a computer screen waiting for something to happen.

vains fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 7, 2013

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
There's also the fact that any reactor that would fit on a train would need to be using some form of highly enriched fuel. Power generation reactors don't have size restrictions, so they can use less enriched fuel, which isn't suitable for making bombs. All nuclear submarines use highly enriched fuel due to their size. This would make every train a possible target for attack.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Huge_Midget posted:

Ah, the flying crowbar. What the great minds of the RAND Corporation would get up to in the 50s and early 60s.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Pfft just replace the fireboxes on traditional steam locos with closed cycle reactors and a heat exchanger (if you are nice). Most atomic locos would be steam / electric hybrids unless they want to to jack up atomic batteries.

I just want to see my Uranium Pacific Big boys ok :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Veins McGee posted:

edit: Atomic locomotives would be pretty cool but if it was so infeasible that the Russians didn't make one than there is no way they would have in America.

Well, that ends the discussion for sure. :)