Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Well, that's Terezi's life on the line. I'd post good odds Gamzee (who we probably know survives to raise and then meet up with Caliborn) is about to kill Terezi right here and now. Whatever happens, though, there's a reasonable chance Karkat'll be involved - either arriving in time to save her or just too late to see her die. Then again, maybe it's unfair to pigeonhole Terezi into a "damsel in distress" role, where she can only either be saved by her old boyfriend or die to motivate him - just, her chances of getting out of this without some kind of help aren't great.

Also love that nobody gives a crap about Jake's official death, because, y'know, it's Jake.

Edit - spoilered for top of the page, since not everyone might've gotten to the update yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
So, time to see what a Bard of Rage can really do. Just that one punch makes me worries our seer is going to end up a smear. :ohdear:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I'm just getting bored. We've seen the clown go crazy already, but this time he has tons of teeth. Nightmare fuel!!

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

The Big Whoop posted:

So Jane's just so pissed at this point, instead of doing the lifey thing on Jake she just straight up attacks Adrena, and overpowers the tiara? AND ATTACKING WHILE ASLEEP ahhhh

That was the tiara taking full control of Jane's body, rather than affecting her conscious mind.

Brain Ghost Dirk disappeared, but his sword didn't. Did Hussie gently caress up there, or is that going to be really important later?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I still cannot figure out Gamzee's point of view. Was he faking being upset with Terezi so she'd throw down her weapons? Was he actually upset? Did he just go into a berserker rage that he has no control over?

A good poster posted:

Brain Ghost Dirk disappeared, but his sword didn't. Did Hussie gently caress up there, or is that going to be really important later?

Something's up with Dirk's sword. It's an "Unbreakable" katana. It was unaffected by zilly-prototyping. It didn't stop being real. All jokes referring to Dave's emotional breakdown over Bro's death, or something more?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I have to admit that while the slow times and errors made it frustrating to read that gigantic update, it certainly added a lot to the tension. Having to wait a minute or two while thinking "No Terezi, don't fall for it!" certainly added to the tension.

Although in that situation, I am still not sure about what is going on with Gamzee.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

nerdbot posted:

I'm just getting bored. We've seen the clown go crazy already, but this time he has tons of teeth. Nightmare fuel!!

He's the Bard of Rage man. You might as well be tired of John doing the Windy thing or Dave having time travel powers.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

nerdbot posted:

Yeah, again nothing is at stake so who cares? Areana is the only one at the moment attempting to accomplish anything and she's basically being shut down right out of the starting gate. If Jane died (assuming she can be killed in a heroic or just way at the moment) that might be a bad thing because she's one of the methods of resurrecting things and then Jade would stay dead until someone put the ring on her I guess.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm thinking this is the thing Gamzee did at the end of SGrub to do a poo poo ton of damage to the fully prototyped Black King. Sort of like the attacks in Final Fantasy 6 the Returners can only do when their HP is super low.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

glowing-fish posted:

Although in that situation, I am still not sure about what is going on with Gamzee.

You can never know what is going on with Gamzee, ever. That's just how it is with clowns.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition

RZApublican posted:

The Kickstarter sticker sheets are the obvious canon source of information on the race of the main characters:

I've seen this post like 3 times now and I just got the reason Bro/Dirk is white and Rose/Roxy and Dave are black. I was about to be like "yo aren't they the same genetics, but male/female"
DUH

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So after barely surviving being soul-murdered by re-fake Dirk, Aranea is going to be strangled by a sleepwalking Jane (and then live through it thanks to the ring)? Man after today maybe she'll want to be double-dead, those have got to be some lovely memories to carry around with you.

Also, the Gamzeegeddon has begun. :unsmigghh:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Bobulus posted:

I still cannot figure out Gamzee's point of view. Was he faking being upset with Terezi so she'd throw down her weapons? Was he actually upset? Did he just go into a berserker rage that he has no control over?

Gamzee is a manipulative piece of poo poo, I'm pretty convinced he was doing the first thing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jake will be back in a couple of minutes.

Brain Ghost Dirk's spare sword reminds me of Dave's Bro's sword, which he left on LOHAC. This is going to end with dual-wielding.

Gamzee's jaws are making him look as demonic as I can remember a troll ever having been depicted, even though he is cavorting.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
The twenty minutes it took to read this update due to server errors made me remember that part of the mantra of the tiara is "STAY ASLEEP", so I think that explains Jane's sudden ability to be slowed by Aranea's power but not be fully affected.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I don't think Gamzee was faking that momentary demure state. After getting sober he never spoke or typed in his old quirk again, so it's possible getting snapped out of mind control left him kind of woozy for a few seconds.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

God drat, Gamzee is the worst piece of poo poo and yet I can't help but laugh at everything he does. He's... actually a successful clown. :stare:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

WARNING. WARNING. GAMZEE HAS GONE FULL LEMONGRAB. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

Oh my god he has.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think it's safe to say at this point that Aranea is full of poo poo and/or hot air and is not nearly as good of a schemer as she pretends to be.

I'm half convinced her earlier smug "go ahead and try to cut off my arm" comments were just a double bluff and she never had a real defense against that in the first place.

It's honestly kind of amusing to see how fast her plans went south. Even Vriska was better than this and she's the god-drat poster child of self-absorption.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Actually, I just noticed that Jane's movements are accompanied by buzzing sound effects. Has HIC assumed direct control?

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Not so much buzzing but 'zzz'. Sleeping/snoring sounds.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

WhiffleballDude posted:

I don't think Gamzee was faking that momentary demure state. After getting sober he never spoke or typed in his old quirk again, so it's possible getting snapped out of mind control left him kind of woozy for a few seconds.

The fact that he never spoke or typed like that is exactly why I think he was being intentionally misleading. He didn't have any of that wooziness that other time we saw him de-mindcontrolled. Dude was making a concentrated effort to remind Terezi of his "old self".

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Roger Explosion posted:

And to have a character as great as Vriska slow to a sputtering halt like this just seems like such a waste. As much as she is my favourite character, I think she should have just stayed Dead And Out Of The Story. Having a character as great as hers end with that climactic-as-hell back stab would've made her much more memorable in the long-run.

Totally agree. That was an arc that worked, and while I liked her epilogue with Ghost John, and wouldn't have minded more similarly epilogue-like "Vriska is out of the story" stuff after it, bringing her back as a huge active force just seemed like a dilution.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kgummy posted:

Not so much buzzing but 'zzz'. Sleeping/snoring sounds.

The "bzz" and "zzt" sounds aren't common though, and were made along with robotic-looking limb movements.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I assume this is the robot going insane.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
New evidence for Gamzee's godtier status: he can have dialoglogs.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

So Math posted:

New evidence for Gamzee's godtier status: he can have dialoglogs.

Except Karkat and Kanaya had one earlier (when Karkat was complaining about not being able to fly.) I think it's just a thing that happens now.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Burkion posted:

I assume this is the robot going insane.

If I recall, the witch dies, the robot goes insane, and the wolf just sort of leaves?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Glory of Arioch posted:

Except Karkat and Kanaya had one earlier (when Karkat was complaining about not being able to fly.) I think it's just a thing that happens now.

Yeah, going back over the Act 6 archives it looks like he uses dialoglog for anything not specifically done over a computer.

Karkat putting someone on speaker crab being the gray area, of course :v:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

CuddlyZombie posted:

The fact that he never spoke or typed like that is exactly why I think he was being intentionally misleading. He didn't have any of that wooziness that other time we saw him de-mindcontrolled. Dude was making a concentrated effort to remind Terezi of his "old self".

From a time to time I've seen people wonder if there isn't a "sane Gamzee" or "real Gamzee" hidden away somewhere beyond his two insane mirthful messiah personas, one more like his old self. I guess showing that Gamzee can willingly "invoke" his old self to surprise and confuse his former friends puts an end to that idea, and is a lot more conniving than we normally see of Gamzee.

Thinking about the current situation with Terezi and Gamzee, what do people see happening here? Is Terezi about to be killed, or is she going to pull herself together? Is Karkat or someone else going to intervene, or at least be present?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Glory of Arioch posted:

I still like to think that Hussie is playing according to his own loglog rules. That one featured Dave. :colbert:

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
While I have long since learned to expect to be surprised, I feel this puts the final nail in any lingering "Gamzee is a secret good guy" ideas.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
Isn't it obvious by now that Hussie just really likes drawing characters with pointy teeth?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

thanks alot assbag posted:

If I recall, the witch dies, the robot goes insane, and the wolf just sort of leaves?

Bec Noir and PM are fleeing the scene with Jade's corpse.

Glory of Arioch posted:

Dave was nearby, and participated in the conversation. :colbert:

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds
Well, I didn't need to sleep tonight anyways.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I am not sure that Gamzee was faking, but I am also not sure he wasn't. If he was mind-controlled, he had no idea what was happening until he woke up with several puncture wounds in his chest and Terezi staring at him. He begs her to stop, and then as he becomes more lucid his anger returns. Quite understandably, he is in pain and feels betrayed.

On the other hand, if you look at the smile on his face in 8686, it looks pretty conniving and sinister.

There are a lot of possibilities with Gamzee (and tumblr is buzzing with them!), but its really hard to tell. One possibility is that he is under mind control from multiple entities. Now that Aranea is not mind controlling him, maybe this is Lord English we are seeing?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Whenever I have doubts about Gamzee, I defer to Kanaya's judgement.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

glowing-fish posted:

I am not sure that Gamzee was faking, but I am also not sure he wasn't. If he was mind-controlled, he had no idea what was happening until he woke up with several puncture wounds in his chest and Terezi staring at him. He begs her to stop, and then as he becomes more lucid his anger returns. Quite understandably, he is in pain and feels betrayed.

This is how I read things. Compare it to the Mirthful Messiah flipout.

Seems like Gamzee flips the gently caress out pretty easily if not under the influence of pie (or shoosh-pap)

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

It is hard to tell if it was a genuine moment, but even so it's really telling that it could only seem to last for a very short amount of time anyway. If the guy did have a real moment of being 'himself', he's still ridiculously dangerous, so I'm still not convinced he's a potential secret good guy even then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Wow, gently caress Gamzee forever.

Just... gently caress that guy.