Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Vigo327 posted:

You can't even buy a car that DOESNT have stability control. Base models of today are contented like mid and sometimes upper-level vehicles of 20 years ago. A new Dodge Dart has WAY more stuff that isn't strictly necessary in a car, than the most expensive cadillac you could buy in 1982.

Stability control is mandatory in most countries now, as is stuff like airbags.

You need to look to places like India to find more basically equipped cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Raluek posted:

I admit that I didn't know the L92 was available in as many things as it is, maybe people don't buy them configured that way most of the time? Usually I see the 6.0L iron block motor when someone has something bigger than the 5.3.

For the pickups, the L92 6.2L ended up replacing the VortecMax 6.0 package. I see them on a pretty regular basis. The giveaway is that they have a 3.5" exhaust tip that exits straight out the back of the truck, they don't exit out the side like the exhaust on the 5.3L trucks.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

OrganizedEntropy posted:

For the pickups, the L92 6.2L ended up replacing the VortecMax 6.0 package. I see them on a pretty regular basis. The giveaway is that they have a 3.5" exhaust tip that exits straight out the back of the truck, they don't exit out the side like the exhaust on the 5.3L trucks.

Good to know. That means more plentiful junkyard L92s in five years! Joy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Raluek posted:

Good to know. That means more plentiful junkyard L92s in five years! Joy.

if it's in a truck, it's going to get run the gently caress out. i've seen SRT-10 rams with 250k kms.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powershift posted:

if it's in a truck, it's going to get run the gently caress out. i've seen SRT-10 rams with 250k kms.

I snagged an 80k mile LM7 from a Tahoe for $450, needed a valve job though.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

dissss posted:

Stability control is mandatory in most countries now, as is stuff like airbags.

You need to look to places like India to find more basically equipped cars

Or the UK :britain:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
:geno: I was recently looking at an Avalanche and it was only available with the 5.3l vs the Escalade EXT. I thought it was the same for the others too but I guess they eventually brought out the 6.2l for the Tahoe.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Where you'll probably pay more money for your stripper special than an equivalent well equipped model in the US (of course the upside is you get a functioning healthcare system, better public transport, etc., etc. but that's a whole another thing).

One reason a lot of those features come standard, of course, is because the cost of having two options in terms of labor, production runs, and stocking is often actually more expensive than just having the luxury feature be the default for everything, and also because the vast majority of buyers want basic features like power windows. Especially now that power windows are usually lighter than manual ones anyway.

The same goes for manual transmissions - the reason they were so popular in Europe is because for a long time, automatics were heavier, less efficient, and more expensive than manual transmissions, especially for smaller cars. This isn't really true all the time anymore, and although they remain due to individual cases, market inertia, and the occasional enthusiast car, manual transmissions are becoming less prevalent overall in part simply because automatics are becoming more and more economical in various situations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cream_Filling posted:

The same goes for manual transmissions - the reason they were so popular in Europe is because for a long time, automatics were heavier, less efficient, and more expensive than manual transmissions, especially for smaller cars. This isn't really true all the time anymore, and although they remain due to individual cases, market inertia, and the occasional enthusiast car, manual transmissions are becoming less prevalent overall in part simply because automatics are becoming more and more economical in various situations.

Torque converter automatics are still useless in smaller cars with small engines, it was only really with the introduction of dual-clutch transmissions that automatics really started taking off for small engine sizes. Fiat had an automated manual that was sort of OK in the Panda and 500, because at least you didn't have the losses from the torque converter, but it was still sort of not-good.

That said, automatics have generally become really good, even torque converter units. The ZF 8-speed used in a BMWs etc. is supposedly an extremely nice gearbox to drive. Personally, I still think diesels and DCTs aren't really meant to be together. A slow-revving engine coupled to a lightning-fast gearbox just doesn't give you the benefits that a gasoline engine sees when equipped with a DCT. The big lazy diesel torque just fits a torque converter better.

I used to be staunchly manual-only, but I am definitely not opposed to the thought of an automatic gearbox in my next car. The ideal car would be a Citroën C5 wagon with the 240hp diesel, which is auto-only, or a Peugeot 508 GT wagon with the 200hp diesel, which is also auto-only. I have my bike for fun and games, for the everyday ride I just want fancy French comfort and effortless diesel torque. Both corner more than well enough for anything I'll ever encounter on the roads.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Oct 6, 2013

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

What can you buy that does come with stability control or airbags? I'm guessing its really niche models, not cheap stuff

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I think pretty much all modern torque-converter automatics lock the TC pretty much immediately in every gear so really unless you're at low speeds or taking off from a dead stop they behave similarly to a DCT box.

I've noticed people who are used to "normal" automatics really don't like the new Ford DCTs.

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN
I think there are a couple things going on.

Small engine cars with automatics need the most help between 0mph and whatever mph their engine hits ~3-4k rpm in 1st gear is. DCTs get away with not having torque converters because they typically also have much lower gear ratios in first gear than the 4-spd torque converter automatics that were ubiquitous in small cars only a few years ago (and still present in the brand-new Corolla:ghost:). They need that gearing because with a start clutch they all launch pretty much off-idle even when floored. If you locked the torque converter at 1000 rpm in an old 4spd compact with a tiny engine it would suck ungodly amounts of balls.

On the other hand, if you can have lots of gearing AND a torque converter you can do really well from a stop even with a small engine, but you pay extra the rest of the time because a fluid-filled TC and the guts of a planetary-gearset wet-clutch auto are WAY heavier and lossier to spin vs DCT parts.

I've always disliked CVTs on small engines for a similar reason. They're only infinitely variable within a range, and typically the lowest ratio they're capable of is still not enough to have strong rollout from a stop with a tiny engine. I think 6-9spd (thanks Jeep?!) conventional autos are much better in this regard.

What i'm waiting to see (and will wait forever because noone will build it), which i think could be awesome, is a DCT or CVT with a torque converter with magnetorheological fluid AND a strong lockup clutch. That would let you launch the thing from high rpm and then drag it down and lock it up by the time it reached redline. Launch control on DCTs is basically just modulating the clutch and clutch-slipping your way out of the hole. It's hard on the clutch, which is why you usually have to jump through hoops in the interface to enable launch control, and it's only available on cars that make a lot of power at a reasonably low rpm anyway. I think a magnetorheological-fluid-filled TC would let even the tiniest motors haul butt out of the hole without causing ANY wear, so you could trigger it with just a brake-torque and basically be able to launch all-out every time you came to a stop. And the great thing is, with a 1.0 and change engine, you won't even necessarily be breaking any laws. :mmmhmm:

Vigo327 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 6, 2013

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
It's been a while since I've posted to AI. I no longer have the M3 and no longer have my Evo X either. I've descended into Honda Odyssey minivan ownership. But today I was at my local mall and noticed that Tesla had established a dealership in the mall. I dropped by ready to hate it since I really wanted another manual transmission sportscar but ended up really liking the Model S. They had a Model S with the rear facing trunk seats (for a 3rd row) and a Model S P85 or P85+. Without a traditional engine or transmission tunnel it has a tremendous amount of room in the vehicle including impressive luggage space front and rear. Range, recharging, and mysterious fires aside, it offers surprising practicality combined with good performance. I got offered a test drive and am planning on scheduling one this week or next. The pricing on the base isn't even that bad as it starts bare bones around 66k i.e. well equipped M3 range although the higher specs get north of $100k pretty quickly.

I haven't followed AI as closely lately and never read the EV threads since I was pretty biased against them but does anyone own one or has anyone test driven one yet?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Don't know that anyone has first-hand ownership experience, but it seems like opinions around here are generally high, and with chargers becoming more and more common at businesses (I assume you work at some sort of office) and the rise of Tesla's SuperCharger network it seems like range is much less of an issue than it would have been even five years ago. Basically if you live close enough that its range on a full charge is practical for daily use, and especially since you have a second vehicle to use for long trips if need be, there's no real reason to avoid it other than high price compared to comparable ICE-powered cars.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Yuns posted:

I haven't followed AI as closely lately and never read the EV threads since I was pretty biased against them but does anyone own one or has anyone test driven one yet?

There is a goon that has a Model S, although I think he hangs out in Games more than AI. I think he might be the guy that does the Pocket Tower/Pocket Planes/Pocket Trains games on phones and tablets?

As far as opinions in the negative about them around here I don't think that's accurate. There seem to be two or three regulars around here that don't like electrics at all and will spin up all sorts of reasons why Tesla isn't a good company or why their cars cheat or how electrics have no place in modern society or X, Y, or Z. I have no idea *why* people want to poo poo on the electric car so drat hard but I've seen it outside of AI and even outside of the internet as well. I always liked Leno's opinion on electric cars, the more people use electric cars as appliances the more gas we have for the fun cars.

The Model S is gorgeous in person and the 4~ or so ones I see around town make me very jealous every time I see them glide quietly by.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I've read somewhere that next year's Chevy Spark will have a Franken-transmission that is a combo automatic and CVT. I'm on my phone and not finding the article at the moment, but it has the potential of being the best of both, the worst of both, the most awesome thing ever, or the worst thing ever.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Thanks for the information on the Tesla. I was pretty impressed with the interior. It has some hilarously odd functions though like the ability to adjust the sunroof with a slider on the enormous touchscreen so you can choose the exact percentage that the sunroof is open. Also internet surfing on the touchscreen from the drivers seat.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Yuns posted:

Thanks for the information on the Tesla. I was pretty impressed with the interior. It has some hilarously odd functions though like the ability to adjust the sunroof with a slider on the enormous touchscreen so you can choose the exact percentage that the sunroof is open. Also internet surfing on the touchscreen from the drivers seat.

There's an ev thread with good info.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461390

Here's the link to the EV megathread. I've only heard positive things.

There aren't really any mysterious fires by the way. The one that caught on fire hit a very large piece of metal debris that would have caused serious damage to any car. Remember, the cars we drive now are full of flammable liquid much more dangerous than a battery. It's discussed in the megathread. If you want a more eloquent and detailed response, you can read this article:
http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2013/10/04/elon-musk-explains-how-model-s-caught-on-fire/

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I just checked Autotrader's Testla listings out of curiosity. It seems that a lot of people are buying them and trying to flip them for a quick $20 profit. They're selling HUGELY over MSRP.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Listing price is not selling price, and a whole mess of listings could mean they're not moving at all. Of course some people are always willing to pay grossly inflated prices for the latest hot thing.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Someone I went through residency with bought one (she's making jaw-dropping amounts of money in Texas). She loves it and has nothing but gushingly positive things to say about it. I guess there could be some degree of cognitive dissonance given how ungodly expensive they are, but taking into account all of the other reviews out there I'm inclined to believe her. I can't say it's the car I'd have my eye on were I to decide to take a huge chunk out of my monthly savings, but it seems pretty awesome nonetheless.

This link says the Model S lease starts at $1421 per month if you ignore their hand waving about fuel savings and so forth. I think I'd rather stick that $51k into retirement instead of into a car I wouldn't own at the end of three years, especially since I couldn't drive it more than 12k miles annually.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

C7 Corvette vs The World: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mW-UxCf6cE

Long story short, the snake and the warship stand above the rest, but the latter is more accessible as usual. I really hope a battle between a Z07 and Gen V ACR is in the cards.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's been quite a few years now that the Viper and Vette have been world beaters in value and performance, yet comment sections still fall onto the "hurr American car engine bad layout bad" trope.

How many Le Mans victories are required to be acknowledged as a good car? Ferrari comments make me think zero.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I also like the "HERP DERP HUUGE BEE TEN" comments, when in reality the new Viper engine at 475lbs is lighter than Euro engines with 10 or 12 cylinders and physically smaller than them on top of that. Its inherent reliability and tuning potential is in a whole other world as well.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Tekne posted:

I really hope a battle between a Z07 and Gen V ACR is in the cards.

SRT needs to figure out a way to sell more Vipers, either to the old timers or to new fans.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

That may be out of their hands, as comments on the forums indicate that the dealers are sinking lots of potential sales. Interested buyers are treated poorly, aren't allowed to test drive vehicles, and that's before we get to the absurd price mark ups. That being said, Ralph is now doing Viper events around the US where people can ride in and drive the drat things.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The easiest thing to do would be making a "Road Runner" version that's stripped down and has a Hemi, sell it at $50k to $60k.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

VikingSkull posted:

The easiest thing to do would be making a "Road Runner" version that's stripped down and has a Hemi, sell it at $50k to $60k.

Yeah, bringing something to the market to compete with the base level c7 would be smart for sales. The average new viper is nearing 100k now no?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The new Viper bases at $102.5k, you can't even touch one for $100k.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

VikingSkull posted:

queue that copperhead concept posted a few pages back.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Escalade revealed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4jT1KjPrvg

quote:

NEW YORK – Cadillac today introduced the all-new 2015 Escalade, a sophisticated luxury SUV designed to establish new benchmarks for hand-tailored craftsmanship and technology.

The fourth-generation Escalade is an entirely new design yet instantly recognizable. Much of the story of Cadillac’s redesigned flagship SUV is on the interior, where new levels of luxury combine with the latest technology.

“Cadillac’s growth provides the ideal stage for the all-new Escalade to take a major leap forward,” said Bob Ferguson, senior vice president, Global Cadillac. “The 2015 Escalade is completely new and elevated in design and technology, inside and out. The clear objective is to once again assume the leadership position among luxury SUVs.”

From its introduction, Escalade quickly became the standard among luxury SUVs with a formula of bold design, powerful capability and luxurious accommodations for up to eight occupants. Three succeeding generations led luxury SUV customers to confer icon status on it. The 2015 Escalade takes design and technical elements from Cadillac’s product expansion to elevate the brand’s signature SUV.

Production of the 2015 Escalade begins next spring in Arlington, Texas. The product line will consist of the standard Escalade model, as well as the extended-length ESV edition, with offers a 14-inch-longer (355 mm) wheelbase and approximately 20 inches (508 mm) more in overall length, maximizing space for third-row passengers and 60 percent more cargo space behind the third-row seat than the Escalade. .

Offered with 2WD and 4WD drivetrains, Escalade features a new 6.2L V-8 engine that is more powerful and more efficient than previous models. Cadillac’s Magnetic Ride Control, the world’s fastest-reacting suspension system, is now standard and delivers precisely controlled driving performance.

The exterior features crisp, new and more sophisticated surfaces, accented by dramatic light-emitting diode, or LED, lighting.

The new interior features cut-and-sewn and wrapped materials, with wood trim options chosen for elegance and authenticity. Seats were engineered to be more comfortable and sculpted in appearance. The new interior is dramatically quieter, too, thanks to a stronger new body structure, new and enhanced acoustic material, and Bose Active Noise Cancellation technology.

CUE, Cadillac’s advanced system for connectivity and control, is standard featuring state-of-the-art voice recognition with touch controls common with the world’s most popular tablets and mobile devices. A standard 12.3-inch digital gauge cluster can be reconfigured with four themes and an available head-up display projects information onto the windshield. An available Blu-Ray DVD rear entertainment system includes a nine-inch, roof-mounted screen on Escalade and two nine-inch screens on Escalade ESV.

The front seating area offers more than 1.5 inches (44 mm) more headroom and more than four inches (101 mm) of additional legroom compared to previous models while the second- and third-row seats fold flat for greater cargo versatility – and a segment-first hands-free liftgate includes programmable height settings.

Escalade’s new technologies include safety features to help protect occupants before, during and after a collision, such as Front and Rear Automatic Braking, which relies on short-range radar technology and ultrasonic sensors to help the driver avoid front and rear low-speed collisions via a progression of alerts that extend to complete braking, if necessary.

Also new is the segment’s only Front Seat Center-Mounted air bag, which is engineered to provide additional protection to drivers and front passengers in far-side impact crashes, where the affected occupant is on the opposite, non-struck side of the vehicle.

A Driver Awareness package includes Forward Collision Alert, Lane Departure Warning System, and the patented Safety Alert Seat, which offers directional vibrations to alert the driver about potential crash threats. A Driver Assist package adds Full Speed Range Adaptive Cruise Control, Front and Rear Automatic Braking, Automatic Collision Preparation and Automatic Safety Belt Tightening.

Additionally, Side Blind Zone Alert, Rear Cross Traffic Alert and Lane Change Alert are standard on Luxury and Premium models.

Crafted interior
Craftsmanship defines the 2015 Escalade’s passenger space, designed to be one of the industry’s most authentic and luxurious cabins mixed with seamless technology integration for today’s connected luxury customers.

Real wood combined with premium cut-and-sewn materials and sueded accents, along with ambient lighting, were designed to add elegance to the interior design. Tight tolerances of the instrument panel and door panels, precision controls and triple-sealed doors were engineered and designed to reinforce a feeling of quality.

“An exceptional level of craftsmanship has gone into the redesign of the 2015 Cadillac Escalade, and it all centers on the premium materials and extensive use of cut-and-sew live stitching – the way fine furniture is produced,” said Eric Clough, director of design, Cadillac Interiors. “We designed Escalade with what we call the beauty of contrast. It offers a distinctive combination of bold, truck-like character, but also the refinement of the Cadillac form vocabulary and technology.”

The seats were designed to be more comfortable and sculpted in appearance with a reclining second row. The design incorporates dual-firmness foam that ensures long-trip comfort and helps retain appearance over time.

Heated and cooled seats are standard in front and second-row bucket seats have standard heat. The available second-row bench has heated outboard seats now reclines.

Intuitive technology
Technology is integral to the Escalade’s driving experience. New and enhanced features
help make what already was one of the industry’s most-connected vehicles more intuitive.

For the first time, Escalade will feature CUE standard. The eight-inch center screen uses capacitive touch technology and gesture recognition, enabling tapping and swiping common to smartphones and tablets. CUE uses proximity sensors to activate common options and controls as the user’s hand approaches. An expanded “favorites” section offers quick access to phone contacts, navigation destinations – even digital music – in the same one-touch form as traditional radio presets.

The instrument cluster features a standard, reconfigurable, high-resolution 12.3-inch digital driver information center display paired with Cadillac’s CUE infotainment system. Key data also is displayed on an available, full-color head-up display. Along with vehicle systems information, the color driver information center also provides details on the audio, Bluetooth phone and navigation systems, and they can be easily adjusted via steering wheel controls.

Precise exterior
The new Escalade’s exterior advances a 15-year legacy of design distinction with evolved character cues designed to add sophistication. Full LED lighting creates a bold new interpretation of Cadillac’s vertical light signature.

The headlamps incorporate the industry’s first Total Internal Reflection LED high-beam function, which consists of four vertically stacked crystal lenses and LEDs. The low beam consists of five crystal lenses and LEDs that create the light pattern. The Cadillac script is branded in the headlamp bezel. Tall, thin vertical LED taillamps reach to the top of the Escalade and feature the brand’s wreath-and-crest insignia, which illuminates in the dark. Escalade also features LED-illuminated door handles on the Premium Collection.

“The new Escalade’s surfacing is sophisticated, and the sectioning of the body exudes more emotion to forge a new presence for Cadillac’s iconic SUV,” said Bob Boniface, design director, Cadillac Exteriors. “Our designers worked with the studio sculptors closer than ever to translate a two-dimensional vision into a three-dimensional representation that captures your attention from afar, and then pulls you in with beautiful details in the lamps, door handles and wheels.”

New inlaid doors fit into the body side openings instead of over the top of the body, significantly reducing wind noise and contributing to improved aerodynamics that help the vehicles slip through the air on the highway with less wind drag. Active air shutters close in front of the condenser/radiator assembly at certain highway speeds to improve aerodynamics for greater efficiency. A lightweight aluminum hood and liftgate panels reduce overall mass.

Body panel gaps are tighter throughout. The new liftgate is designed to be sleeker in appearance integrates the rear window wiper into the spoiler.

“Moving the rear wiper to the top of the glass and packaging it within the contours of the spoiler resulted in a clean appearance and improved visibility,” said Boniface. “It is an example of the attention to detail in the new Escalade.”

Performance and driving experience
The performance threshold for the 2015 Escalade lineup rises with an all-new, more efficient 6.2L V-8 engine rated at an SAE-certified 420 horsepower (313 kW) and 460 lb-ft of torque (623 Nm) – a nearly 5-percent increase in horsepower and 10 percent more torque. The greater torque delivers an enhanced feeling of power on demand, particularly from a standstill and at low speeds.

The new 6.2L features state-of-the-art technologies, including direct injection, Active Fuel Management, or cylinder deactivation, continuously variable valve timing and an advanced combustion system, designed to make the most of power, torque and efficiency across a broad range of operating conditions. More precisely controlled combustion enables Escalade to run with a higher compression ratio, which delivers greater power and greater expected efficiency.

The engine is matched with the Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission with enhanced TapShift control.

Escalade’s performance is channeled to a more sophisticated chassis and suspension system, engineered for a greater feeling of solidity and a quieter, smoother ride. A fully boxed frame – composed of more than 75 percent high-strength steel – is the foundation for its ride quality. New shear-style body mounts help reduce vibrations transmitted into the vehicle.

Additional chassis and suspension highlights include:
• Coil-over-shock front suspension and five-link/coil-spring rear suspension
• Wider rear track that contributes to a more planted stance
• Standard 20-inch wheels and available 22-inch wheels
• New, electric variable-assist power steering system that enhances fuel economy and tailors steering assist to vehicle speed
• New 9.5-inch rear axle and standard automatic locking rear differential
• StabiliTrak electronic stability control, incorporating tow/haul mode, auto grade braking and hill start assist
• New four-wheel-disc brake system with Duralife™ brake rotors that offer up to double the service life, along with brake pedal revisions engineered to improve pedal feel for more confident braking performance
• Third-generation magnetic ride control is standard with Tour and Sport modes.

Magnetic Ride Control is a real-time damping system that delivers more precise body motion control by “reading” the road every millisecond. Damping can go from full force to lowest force in a few milliseconds, or within three inches of road travel. It replaces conventional mechanical-valve shocks with electronically controlled shocks filled with a magneto-rheological fluid containing minute iron particles. Under the presence of a magnetic field, the iron particles align to provide damping resistance almost instantly.

So it will have coil springs in the rear instead of leafs like the Chevy and GMC. Exterior front is OK, could use a bit more character in the side profile. THe front row interior is nice but the passenger area in those pics look kind of dumpy compared to a similarly priced Land Rover or Mercedes GL, I would like to see what the 2nd row looks like with the bench seats.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
That's pretty sharp looking, I like it. Bit too much rear overhang, though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

VikingSkull posted:

drat I was just gonna post that. I bet it cleans up nice in black though, probably visually shortens it by deemphasizing the glass.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I like it. Sounds like they're really giving a poo poo.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

VikingSkull posted:

Isn't that silver car the extra-long ESV version? They had two cars in the first set of PR shots, and I think the black is the normal wheelbase and the silver is the long one. The long version looks like a bit of a hackjob but then again almost nobody buys them anyway.

See:

Not totally sold on the rear with that weird roof lip spoiler, but it might be functional. Still looks good overall.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 8, 2013

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Looks like just about every GM product from the last decade or so; good-looking front end combined with a back end designed by a blind man.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The rear wouldn't look too bad if the taillights weren't as tall. I mean, gently caress. Those are tall.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

VikingSkull posted:

The rear wouldn't look too bad if the taillights weren't as tall. I mean, gently caress. Those are tall.

I think maybe they're meant to make the rear look less tall without actually sloping the roof by being super tall but then ending them way above the actual bumper. I sort of like them because they remind me of a Volvo wagon and because I like brick cars and Volvo wagons.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

VikingSkull posted:

Look on the bright side, the chance of some godawful aftermarket ones being made and installed just shrunk to nothing.