Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Shame it was windy, but then again it was a storm so...

Tormenta tropical by Mijaeus, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Very nice. I love the purple.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I do night photography so rarely, but it's so awesome :3:

Big Island by hookshot88, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Good Sam by Ashade76, on Flickr

Embrace The Fire by Ashade76, on Flickr

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Wow, really like these. Any details on how they were shot? I'm guessing film?

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

gently caress the shutdown. At least the main road through Great Smoky Mountain NP is still open, thanks to it being a through road:

Chimney Tops Milky Way by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Valley Stars by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Mt LeConte Stars by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

These are just the medium-quality jpegs from the camera, but I'm going to fix these up from the raws when I get back home in a week.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Shellman posted:

Wow, really like these. Any details on how they were shot? I'm guessing film?

Fuji XE-1 and 18-55mm kitlens on a tripod.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

One from last night; the first time I've ever seen the Milky Way!

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

First time trying this:

Las Docas by Mijaeus, on Flickr

Alternative processing:

Las Docas alternativa by Mijaeus, on Flickr

Its a little blurry, the second one is not as much:

Las Docas v2 by Mijaeus, on Flickr

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 7, 2013

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Lava 2013 by hookshot88, on Flickr

Lava 2013 by hookshot88, on Flickr

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Shelby Street Ped Bridge by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Nashville Union Station Railyard by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Romanv
Jun 13, 2013

wanghammer
Mar 24, 2001
DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH COCK I HAD TO SUCK TO GET THIS CUSTOM TITLE? A LOT!

Embrace The Fire by Ashade76, on Flickr
[/quote]

Love this one! I'm a huge fan of neon at night

IMG_0347 by bighoits, on Flickr

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
I wanted to try to do some low light shots around my apartment. I decided to shoot my Soviet rocket light. No matter what settings I used I just could not make it look good.

ISO 100/f18/30s. Pentax K5 with a Tamron 17-50.

It seems like the colors in the lamp got blown out no matter what I did, except if I massively underexposed, which then just made it look really dim. Is this just too high-contrast of a scene?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ZippySLC posted:

I wanted to try to do some low light shots around my apartment. I decided to shoot my Soviet rocket light. No matter what settings I used I just could not make it look good.

ISO 100/f18/30s. Pentax K5 with a Tamron 17-50.

It seems like the colors in the lamp got blown out no matter what I did, except if I massively underexposed, which then just made it look really dim. Is this just too high-contrast of a scene?

I'm not totally sure what you mean by blown out, do you mean it streaked all over the place? If you meant that it was too bright when trying to get the rest of the scene a bit more illuminated, try playing with the shadows slider in lightroom, or adding some indirect light to the scene.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

Nob Hill.

yoctoontologist fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 30, 2013

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

I should have taken the advice earlier in the thread about how to focus at night, since I'm apparently blind in the near-dark.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
That advice again!

Find the longest focus on the lens during daylight and tape it in place.
Find the longest focus on the lens during daylight and remember where it is: probably all the way and just a little teensy bit back.
Using liveview, focus on a light in the distance whilst zooming in on the screen. Adjust until it's good. Tape it down!
Allow the lens to autofocus with the lens cap on, then click it to manual and it'll likely be at infinite. It might not be, though! Tape it down!
Test with largest ISO, and lowest F/stop first, before doing a ten minute exposure. Tape it down, if you waaaaant.

I just googled other ways to do it, in case I missed something obvious, and wow oh wow.

http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/FOCUS/METHODS.HTM

People have crazy ways of doing this.

Helmacron fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 1, 2013

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If you want to focus on something not at infinity in the dark I find that a laser pointer is pretty helpful.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

A couple more night shots from Nashville now that I'm getting on top of all the pictures I took on vacation:

Nashville Union Station by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Hattie B's by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Trainyard by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there an application that can stack star photos but keep them aligned so there aren't trails?

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

BlackMK4 posted:

Is there an application that can stack star photos but keep them aligned so there aren't trails?

If you have PS, you can usually get it done with autoalign or merge to pano. You might need to mask off foreground crap, though, or it will just refuse to rotate (because the foreground isn't moving, obv). Then just layer back in foreground.

Othwerwise, for astro specific stuff

Free -> $80 -> $280

http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/index.html
http://www.stark-labs.com/nebulosity.html
http://pixinsight.com/index.html

All are pretty badly designed, with DSS being especially confusing to use.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 8, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

BlackMK4 posted:

drat straight there is.

http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/index.html is what i use, it's nice and free.

http://flintstonestargazing.com/2009/06/26/my-quick-deepskystacker-tutorial/ is a decent tutorial on how to use it, although depending on what you're shooting handling the curves and such might be easier to do in lightroom or whatever you normally use.

It works ok (although as you can see it worked better in the center of this image than the sides, I probably had some too long exposures or something mixed in there).

BadlandsStack1.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Think that's about 3-5 minutes worth of exposure though, so even if it's iffy at full res it's way better than what it'd be otherwise.

e. I need to use this software more, it's fun

Andromeda2.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 8, 2013

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

gently caress it, stack manually

Comet Lovejoy and the Beehive by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hmm, I must be doing it wrong. I've got about an hour total of exposures (tripod/10-22/t2i/30s continuous exposures/800iso) and I end up with nothing like what you guys have. I'll keep messing with it though.

edit:

Blurry as poo poo so I adjust the colors...

At least I got some output this time... kinda figuring it out. RAW output to DSS seems to result in nothing but black, more or less, whereas cropping the foreground out then exporting as JPG gets the above. I forgot to crop my black frames down and I didn't have the star count adjusted right (was getting 10k+ stars per image scores from 15k to 18k) so this has been a good learning experience. I'm probably going to head up to Flagstaff, Az (dark sky city) for the next test rather than being about 20mi outside Phoenix, Az.

Next time I'll forego the foreground and pick the ISO up a bit... along with screenshotting where I am shooting in Star Walk.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 8, 2013

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

Hmm, I must be doing it wrong. I've got about an hour total of exposures (tripod/10-22/t2i/30s continuous exposures/800iso) and I end up with nothing like what you guys have. I'll keep messing with it though.

At least I got some output this time... kinda figuring it out. RAW output to DSS seems to result in nothing but black, more or less, whereas cropping the foreground out then exporting as JPG gets the above. I forgot to crop my black frames down and I didn't have the star count adjusted right (was getting 10k+ stars per image scores from 15k to 18k) so this has been a good learning experience. I'm probably going to head up to Flagstaff, Az (dark sky city) for the next test rather than being about 20mi outside Phoenix, Az.

Next time I'll forego the foreground and pick the ISO up a bit... along with screenshotting where I am shooting in Star Walk.

Well, I work with photoshop primarily, since it's a little more familiar for me. DSS is pretty much all Greek to me.

Definitely go for a higher ISO. I usually shoot 2500 or 3200, depending on sky quality. Just play around with your ISO settings, and remember if you're stacking, the noise won't be too much of a problem. The point of stacking isn't really to make the stars brighter, it's to reduce sensor noise. If you're going for faint objects, you'll want to make some stacks to reduce the noise, and then add them to bring out fainter details.

Also, be careful with lens distortion. It'll make stars closer to the edge of the frame appear to converge (or diverge, depending on your lens' characteristics), so if you're changing the direction your camera is pointing,the quality of the stack will degrade.

Venusian Weasel fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 9, 2013

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I got some nice shots (I think, haven't had time to process yet) from the Grand Canyon last week. I have a T2i too, and definitely had to stick with 3200 most of the time to get the milky way. Hopefully I can go through them and post some soon.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

I was out taking pictures of comets early in the morning, when I recognized a huge wedge of light shining out of the horizon. At first I thought it was the beginnings of dawn, but it turned out that it was still about half an hour away. It ended up being the zodiacal light, the combined reflection of trillions of little dust particles laying along the plane of the ecliptic. I've seen it in pictures, but never actually seen it with my own eyes. I just had to get a picture:

Zodiacal Light by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

There's a bit of magenta sensor noise I need to figure out how to get rid of, but overall I'm happy with how it turned out.

Also, I got a pretty decent series of pictures of comets ISON and Lovejoy, I just need to find the time to go through and stack them.

Comet ISON:

Comet ISON by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Venusian Weasel fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 11, 2013

Romanv
Jun 13, 2013

Helmacron posted:

That advice again!

Find the longest focus on the lens during daylight and tape it in place.
Find the longest focus on the lens during daylight and remember where it is: probably all the way and just a little teensy bit back.
Using liveview, focus on a light in the distance whilst zooming in on the screen. Adjust until it's good. Tape it down!
Allow the lens to autofocus with the lens cap on, then click it to manual and it'll likely be at infinite. It might not be, though! Tape it down!
Test with largest ISO, and lowest F/stop first, before doing a ten minute exposure. Tape it down, if you waaaaant.

I just googled other ways to do it, in case I missed something obvious, and wow oh wow.

http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/FOCUS/METHODS.HTM

People have crazy ways of doing this.

The easiest POSSIBLE way, is to install Magic Lantern on a compatible Canon DSLR.

I can set the liveview refresh rate down to one frame per 5 seconds, but with an F1.4 lense I can focus even on moonless nights by going down to 4fps @ ISO 1600.

Quick and easy with no wizard magic prep work that might go wrong.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

Romanv posted:

The easiest POSSIBLE way, is to install Magic Lantern on a compatible Canon DSLR.

I can set the liveview refresh rate down to one frame per 5 seconds, but with an F1.4 lense I can focus even on moonless nights by going down to 4fps @ ISO 1600.

Quick and easy with no wizard magic prep work that might go wrong.

I can't say anything to this until you clarify whether it's a joke or not.

Romanv
Jun 13, 2013
I'm not joking, it works exceptionally well to the point where other methods are useless, frustrating, or guess work by comparison.

It's effectively the 'digital zoom trial and error' done in real time / without needing to waste shutter actuations.

When I've accidentally brought a memory card without Magic Lantern, it's hopeless trying to focus in the dark.

When in any of the photo modes, the liveview screen refreshes at 30fps.
So each frame you see, the camera can only take up to a 1/30th sec exposure to simulate it.

If you drop to 15fps or 10fps, you can have 3x the exposure time per liveview frame.
Or drop it down even further to a 5 second exposure per liveview frame refresh, use 10x digital zoom to get the focus perfect and the first photo you take will be bang on.

Romanv fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 12, 2013

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Tried to get a photo of ISON this morning but it didn't want to cooperate. While waiting for it to show up I did see this plane with its contrails illuminated by the moon pass right by M42, though!

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Minotaur I/ORS-3 launched tonight about 2.5 hours ago.

Edit: Ahhh, my horizons! I'll fix it later

Edit 2: New upload:

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 21, 2013

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Romanv posted:

I'm not joking, it works exceptionally well to the point where other methods are useless, frustrating, or guess work by comparison.

It's effectively the 'digital zoom trial and error' done in real time / without needing to waste shutter actuations.

When I've accidentally brought a memory card without Magic Lantern, it's hopeless trying to focus in the dark.

When in any of the photo modes, the liveview screen refreshes at 30fps.
So each frame you see, the camera can only take up to a 1/30th sec exposure to simulate it.

If you drop to 15fps or 10fps, you can have 3x the exposure time per liveview frame.
Or drop it down even further to a 5 second exposure per liveview frame refresh, use 10x digital zoom to get the focus perfect and the first photo you take will be bang on.

I am definitely using this trick. Thank you :D

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

I just feel like it's not the easiest possible way because I don't own a Canon. And because of that, it might not ever be the easiest possible way. It's a good way for Canon users who can utilize that particular hack, though! But again, not for me. So it's just weird to say that, I think.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
If you're having trouble focusing on the sky, I can't recommend a home-made Bahtinov mask highly enough. You can generate a template here.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Do lenses not have the focus window on them? Every lens I've ever used has had one. I just use that.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

rcman50166 posted:

Do lenses not have the focus window on them? Every lens I've ever used has had one. I just use that.

Depends on the lens. My kit lens (which I use for wide-field imaging) doesn't have one, while the telephoto I use focuses at a point just past infinity on the focus window.

Fortunately my Nikon's liveview is 10 or 15 frames a second, so it's a little easier to point at a star and get in focus using that.

Anyone got a good guide to processing images that DeepSkyStacker produces? I'm getting some good pictures out of it, but I'm having to convert to 16-bit/channel tif to play with them in photoshop (I don't have lightroom) and I'm probably tossing out a lot of information since DSI produces 32-bit/channel tifs. I'm not really sure how to work DSS's processing stuff, and the developer just suggests using other postprocessing software.

EDIT: Here's what I've been able to do so far:

Comet Lovejoy 11-20 by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Problem is, it feels like I got to this point entirely by accident. Would love to know the ins and outs a little better than I do.

Venusian Weasel fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Exposed for a bit too long, but the 35 f/1.8 is not too shabby.