Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

UberJumper posted:

The nearest galaxy is ~2.5 million light years away, so the tyranids would have had to leave a long long time ago. I am pretty sure even if the emperor didn't setup his lighthouse. I am assuming the tyranids would still be coming, regardless.

My other problem is that everything points to the fact that the warp only seems to exist within the milky way. So how exactly would the Tyranids know about the warp and see the Astronomican?

The Large Magellanic Cloud is only like 160000 light years away. Some galaxies are even closer.

Andromeda is around the 30th closest galaxy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nearest_galaxies

euphronius fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

euphronius posted:

The Large Magellanic Cloud is only like 160000 light years away. Some galaxies are even closer.

Andromeda is around the 30th closest galaxy.

The nearest galaxy that isn't orbiting the Milky Way, you pedant.
(I'm kidding. I am also a space fact pedant)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

UberJumper posted:

If the warp exists throughout space why do the powers within the warp seem to be localized to the milky way? The chaos gods were born in the milky way, and everything seems to imply their fates are tied to the milky way. Yet if the warp exists everywhere, wouldn't their fate be tied to the other galaxies as well? Like if humanity dies, and all war and death ceases to exist, and everyone lives in peaceful harmony wouldn't that be barely a drop in the bucket, when there are millions of other galaxies Khorne could go get power from?

If the Astronomican can't even reach the Eastern Fringe, how is it expected to reach Tyranids that are far far beyond our own galaxy? Non-linear or not, the distance is insane.
You know how in the fluff it sometimes suggests that the 'nids have been here before, but moved on? That. Rationalisation done.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I can't seem to find a copy of the Eisenhorn omnibus either on Ebay or any local stores. Are there any other good Inquisition related books? Any Sisters of Battle ones?

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

radlum posted:

I can't seem to find a copy of the Eisenhorn omnibus either on Ebay or any local stores. Are there any other good Inquisition related books? Any Sisters of Battle ones?

Consider an electronic copy? You really should read Eisenhorn.

The only good books concerned with the Inquisition are the aforementioned, Ravenor series which is a sequel, Pariah which is a sequel to the previous, and... The Emperor's Gift deals heavily with the Inquisition though in the context of its broader intrigues and place in the Imperium rather than as a "warband on the ground" focus. You should read it anyway if you haven't already because it's an awesome book.

There's also the Inquisition War series by Ian Watson, but that's old, written in its own peculiar style, and deals with long-since rendered archaic fluff.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Eisenhorn to Ravenor to Pariah is the way to go, but if you have to look elsewhere, then Ben Counter's Grey Knights is, of course, mostly about the Grey Knight protagonist but does include a very interesting Inquisitor in it and could be seen as an Inquisitor story from the Ordo Malleus point of view if you squint a little.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Ben Counter's Grey Knights series (like everything he writes) is poo poo but I guess the first book is kinda sorta passable? The very different presentation from it to The Emperor's Gift will be jarring, however, and the latter is just a much better book in every single way.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Oh definitely, the rest of the series goes straight down the toilet, but the Inquisitor in Grey Knights (that's the first book of the "Grey Knight" series of books) is an interesting character who is played somewhat cleverly. The bone standard perfect warrior GK who's the POV character is boring as poo poo, but I like Inquisitor Ligeia. She's the only reason to read that book, to be honest, but if you're looking for a non-Eisenhorn Inquistor story you haven't got many other choices...

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
True, true.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nephilm posted:

Consider an electronic copy? You really should read Eisenhorn.

The only good books concerned with the Inquisition are the aforementioned, Ravenor series which is a sequel, Pariah which is a sequel to the previous, and... The Emperor's Gift deals heavily with the Inquisition though in the context of its broader intrigues and place in the Imperium rather than as a "warband on the ground" focus. You should read it anyway if you haven't already because it's an awesome book.

There's also the Inquisition War series by Ian Watson, but that's old, written in its own peculiar style, and deals with long-since rendered archaic fluff.

I've been working my way through Inquisition War and I can't recommend it enough for the most unique take on the W40k lore and inquisitors I've ever seen. Watson wrote during a time where there was very little established fluff to follow and just read the Rogue Trader issues and various Codexes and set off in his own direction. His descriptions of the Warp and a planet in the Eye of Terror read like a man who dropped LSD, wrote reams of pages, and once sober read through everything exhaustively and constructed a coherent chapter that sane people could read and glimpse the madness slowly bubbling up.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
wait wait, which book has MLK getting shot by a Cabal assassin. That's loving fantastic i must see how it was written.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Briefly alluded to in The Unremembered Empire.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

AcidRonin posted:

wait wait, which book has MLK getting shot by a Cabal assassin. That's loving fantastic i must see how it was written.

Unremembered Empire, but the scene isn't shown, it get mentioned in passing, and requires you to recognize "hey, who is the famous peacemaker killed in Memphis between Iwo Jima and 2000?"

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Fried Chicken posted:

Unremembered Empire, but the scene isn't shown, it get mentioned in passing, and requires you to recognize "hey, who is the famous peacemaker killed in Memphis between Iwo Jima and 2000?"

I might have to actually read that there book.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

AcidRonin posted:

Alien-contracted civil rights leaders assassins aside, it is a pretty solid entry into the HH series, and follows up Know No Fear, Betrayer, and Mark of Calth pretty nicely.

Oddly enough for an Ultramarines-centric book it gives a lot of insight as to how the Heresy-era legions worked together and operated under the commands of other legions.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

AcidRonin posted:

It's okay but not great. Definitely not one of Abnett's better works. The whole thing is kind of scattered and plot-centric, the language isn't as fun as Abnett's other books, and the characterization is pretty flat, even for previously well-done characters like Guilliman. Also there's lots of dumbness carried over from other HH authors. It really feels a little like an overproduced Hollywood sequel that's been through development hell and like 10 different screenwriters. It doesn't stand well on its own and almost requires you to have read a bunch of previous HH books to even understand the plot and even then there's a ton of characters and references from previous books all milling around doing mostly nothing.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 7, 2013

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cream_Filling posted:

It's okay but not great. Definitely not one of Abnett's better works. The whole thing is kind of scattered and plot-centric, the language isn't as fun as Abnett's other books, and the characterization is pretty flat, even for previously well-done characters like Guilliman. Also there's lots of dumbness carried over from other HH authors. It really feels a little like an overproduced Hollywood sequel that's been through development hell and like 10 different screenwriters. It doesn't stand well on its own and almost requires you to have read a bunch of previous HH books to even understand the plot and even then there's a ton of characters and references from previous books all milling around doing mostly nothing.

well, it is a sequel to 3 or 4 HH books, so it's mired in existing plot.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Hunting Curze and seeing what an utter bastard of a Batman he is was cool as hell though.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

mllaneza posted:

well, it is a sequel to 3 or 4 HH books, so it's mired in existing plot.

It tries to be a direct follow-up to too many books at once, though, especially since many of those books were really bad books.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

It felt like it was the setup to the next phase of novels more than anything. Definitely wouldn't recommend it on its own. Still have no idea where that loyalist Word Bearer sniper dude came from, and I've read most of the Heresy stuff. Just skipped the stuff that has a rep as being horrible, like Battle for the Abyss, Outcast Dead and Vulkan Lives.

Quills
Mar 24, 2007

The Rat posted:

It felt like it was the setup to the next phase of novels more than anything. Definitely wouldn't recommend it on its own. Still have no idea where that loyalist Word Bearer sniper dude came from, and I've read most of the Heresy stuff. Just skipped the stuff that has a rep as being horrible, like Battle for the Abyss, Outcast Dead and Vulkan Lives.

I'm reading Vulkan Lives purely to see what the hell his deal is. It's a struggle.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

VanSandman posted:

Hunting Curze and seeing what an utter bastard of a Batman he is was cool as hell though.

That, and the recreation of Terminator 1 & 2. Cruze does the T-1000 helicopter deal, Vulkan smashing through the security wing to get to his target, duel between them resolving in a factory, person with knowledge of the future really sent there to change the course of history, Vulkan limping through the factory, smashing down doors and pursuing them among the machines, Cruze engulfed in the roiling red hot demon that gets rid of him being the stand in for T-1000 in the molten steel, and the guy with future knowledge beating down the unstopable red-eyed killing machine with a metal spar only to die yourself stopping it.

The last 3rd of the book is basically tacked on action to his resolution/worldbuilding of the first 66%, but drat is it fun tacked on action.

Seriously, Cruze piloting the gunship by selectively strangling the actual pilot to make him manipulate the controls was awesome as heck

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 7, 2013

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012
There's a pile of things that make Unremembered Empire unsatisfying, and most of them are because Vulkan Lives was bad. There are a few moments where it's obvious Abnett lost track of who was supposed to know what when just because of the staggering amount of material he had to tie together.

Having Grammaticus die because he tried to heal Vulkan with stab wounds was moronic. Eldrad is a dick.

gently caress everything that has to do with the Cabal. Jesus.

Why did the Alpha Legion assassins even bother to say they were Alpharius, other than the obvious dumb hamfisted reasons?

This is the second time in as many books Guilliman survived because somebody stopped to gloat with a knife at his throat.

Were Robute or the Lion at the siege of Terra? Not to my knowledge. But now they're hanging out with Sanguinus in an apparent Triumvirate. So what plot contrivance keeps two thirds of them from reaching Terra now that they can kinda almost maybe get through the Ruinstorm? It's probably going to be Alpha Legion bullshit, because they can totally be everywhere at once.

There are so many threads at play that almost none of them get the attention they need to be worth including. Why the gently caress are those Space Wolves even there? Was it just to make sure we remember Russ is around? They eat up page after page only to get butchered by Curze after accomplishing nothing.

:goonsay:

It's still worth reading, but it isn't Know no Fear by any stretch.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Potooweet posted:

There's a pile of things that make Unremembered Empire unsatisfying, and most of them are because Vulkan Lives was bad. There are a few moments where it's obvious Abnett lost track of who was supposed to know what when just because of the staggering amount of material he had to tie together.

Why did the Alpha Legion assassins even bother to say they were Alpharius, other than the obvious dumb hamfisted reasons?

My favorite "Alpha Legion is so mysterious!" moment is in Legion, when an Alpha Legion marine introduces himself as Alpharius, and a character asks if he's really Alpharius or if he's just saying that.

The Marine responds, "What do you think?"

Impaired Casing
Jul 1, 2012

We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.

Potooweet posted:

Reading the afterword of the book, it seems to be written for the sole purpose of tying everything together just so the next books won't be as confusing.

While it was cool when Curze was running around, for a half second I thought they might actually retcon his death to happen there. Especially the way Roboute was talking about evening the score of dead loyalist to traitor primarchs. I thought this mainly because Curze is on the homeworld of the Ultramarines, and as Batman as he is, no way in hell he can get away. Then he does, thanks to a daemon... Only to end up just outside the city? That was just silly.

I know that most of what happens is set in stone, but there are a few things, lore wise, that isn't. Vulkan is one of them, since before "Vulkan Lives", I gathered that no one knew what happened to him, and in current fluff, he was just missing. So you can kill him off, but then what's the point of "Vulkan Lives" if only to kill him right after. Lorgar just locks himself away, right? He's off writing the holy book of Chaos in his locked up temple? It'd be real cool to have Erebus and a few {a lot of) others just kill the guy off then pretend he locked himself away to keep the legion together. That'd be a neat plot twist. Just doing anything to break up the monotony that several of the HH books give off would be great.

Call me crazy, but all I felt from this book was that the editors realized they can't milk the actual Horus Heresy forever, and want to go in another direction, this Imperium Secundus, before they kill their cash cow. Or maybe I'm cynical.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I like the Alpha Legion since their whole thing is basically trolling Ultramarines forever. Which I can respect.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

VanSandman posted:

I like the Alpha Legion since their whole thing is basically trolling Ultramarines forever. Which I can respect.

Absolutely.

Also, regarding ole Roboute, I love the fact that it's becoming a motif that when he's about to be finished off he engages in conversation with his murderer, who bizarrely indulges him. He then quips something like "HAHAHA YOU FELL FOR MY GLORIOUS SKILLS OF RHETORIC INSTEAD OF KILLING ME", and proceeds to make them eat poo poo. I'm sure this has happened at least twice now.

edit: In fact, I'm quite sure the previous time was also in a book authored by Abnett; is he just trolling us?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Just finished it, and I feel that Unremembered Empire quality is dragged down due to having to contend with many plots from other books, like Nick Kyme Vulkan's inmortality, seriously, was that poo poo neccesary? it seemed way too forced and warped all the plot to deal with it. The good thing is we got to have fun with Curze being badass.

Also, it made me smile when Sanguinius says how a sad fate is to be consigned in a casket for all eternity in a cellar of the fortress and Guilliman answers: "It is not a fate I would wish

Oh, Roboute, you poor bastard :smuggo:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

William Bear posted:

My favorite "Alpha Legion is so mysterious!" moment is in Legion, when an Alpha Legion marine introduces himself as Alpharius, and a character asks if he's really Alpharius or if he's just saying that.

My favorite is from Deliverance Lost or all places, it had one shining moment.

An Alpha legionnaire infiltrated into the Raven Guard gets the signal to bug out and rally but has two loyalists nearby to deal with. He kicks one in the back of the knee and slices his throat. He primes a grenade, tells the other below him, "Here, take this." and chucks it down where the other marine catches it and has just a moment to realize what just happened.

Need more of that in any book with Alpha Legion in it.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Deliverance Lost cracked me up when the Alpha Legion infiltrators got together for the first time and one of them says "One of us is a commander?" Don't exactly know why, but it cracked me up.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Potooweet posted:

:goonsay:

I basically agree with everyone saying Unremembered Empire is a bit unsatisfying, basically because too many plot threads had to be woven together and pieces moved into place for the series to go forward... except I'm a bit okay with it all because holy poo poo am I impressed with what Abnett was actually able to do, considering what he had to work with and what he had to accomplish. I think of it like during a season of a television show when the third to last or second last episode is a bit meh.* I can't even imagine what this book would look like handed off to anyone other than Abnett or ADB.

* except obviously GW will never let us get to the finale and finally experience catharsis, but whatever.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
That's the thing, if GW isn't looking ahead to stuff like the whole post-Heresy reclamation or to the Vandire madness, then they're dumb.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's a lot less that's been published on either of those so far though. Vandire is just a few pages in the assassin's codices and Sebastian Thor being mentioned in some core book one time almost 20 years ago. The post-Heresy stuff is just "I guess it happened, or else how did we get here?".

Fideles
Sep 17, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

My favorite is from Deliverance Lost or all places, it had one shining moment.

An Alpha legionnaire infiltrated into the Raven Guard gets the signal to bug out and rally but has two loyalists nearby to deal with. He kicks one in the back of the knee and slices his throat. He primes a grenade, tells the other below him, "Here, take this." and chucks it down where the other marine catches it and has just a moment to realize what just happened.

Need more of that in any book with Alpha Legion in it.

I may well be a minority of one, but I pretty quickly got tired of the whole Alpha Legion plot arc. I can't really put my finger on exactly what it is that puts me off them but I am definitely not a fan. I also have to agree that Vulkan Lives was pretty poor and I think Abnett was genuinely drowning in material for Unremembered Empire.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

William Bear posted:

Haha what a dick.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Kurzon posted:

Haha what a dick.

Basically yeah. If an AL story doesn't make you say that at least three times it isn't a proper AL story.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Eh, I understand the importance of the Cabal. While the Heresy is unfolding, there is the question of "so what are the other species doing for those 7 years?" and they need an answer for that

Necrons - dormant
Tyranids - inbound
Tau - figuring out agriculture
Orks - recovering from Ullanor
Eldar - ?

So they go with the Cabal to cover the issue of "what are the Eldar doing? Why aren't they involved?" They are involved. They are trying to take down Chaos like always, but here doing it by trying to get it to self immolate. Try to kill Angron before he becomes possessed, make sure Sanguinus is the one at the Gate and not Vulkan, etc.

It is far from perfect. But it beats the empty question of "Why are the guys who hate chaos above all and can see the future sitting it out as chaos forms as a side?" or having the Eldar fight along side the Imperium or something.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

With all this Alpha Legion talk, I wonder how funny it might be to have a short story or something where their incredible planning and infiltration skills just...go awry. Nothing works. Maybe they failed to account for a crucial variable, maybe Tzeentch wakes up one day and decides that "just as planned" means "gently caress with an Alpha Legion warband today", but a comedy of errors ensues to make sure whatever they intended to do, fails utterly.

Fideles
Sep 17, 2013

Pyrolocutus posted:

With all this Alpha Legion talk, I wonder how funny it might be to have a short story or something where their incredible planning and infiltration skills just...go awry. Nothing works. Maybe they failed to account for a crucial variable, maybe Tzeentch wakes up one day and decides that "just as planned" means "gently caress with an Alpha Legion warband today", but a comedy of errors ensues to make sure whatever they intended to do, fails utterly.

Now that is an AL book I would buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Honestly, me too.