Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

xzzy posted:

Holy cow these guys take their bag seriously:

http://www.gritinc.net/us/hockey/gearbox2.html

I think the company knows what's going on, their manual even has a picture of the bag full of bottles warning you not to do that.

I bought one of those but haven't really used it yet. It seems sturdy and nice. All of the kids I coach use the Grit wheeled bags and they don't seem to be falling apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

JetsGuy posted:

And even then, all the canvas bag guys I know broke their zippers ages ago and just still use the same bag because gently caress it.

EDIT:
I have this bag:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-hockey-equipment-bag-pro-carry.html

The material of the bag itself has held up great. It zips from both sides, and like all bags like that the bottom of the zipper tore away which made the zip thingys came off. I rigged back easy enough and it works fine.

The bag itself is fine aside from that though.

I should also comment that if you have any kind of hallways in your house that you'd have to go through you WILL scuff your walls with the black.

I'll probably have to re-paint before I leave this apt or something.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

JetsGuy posted:

And even then, all the canvas bag guys I know broke their zippers ages ago and just still use the same bag because gently caress it.

EDIT:
I have this bag:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-hockey-equipment-bag-pro-carry.html

The material of the bag itself has held up great. It zips from both sides, and like all bags like that the bottom of the zipper tore away which made the zip thingys came off. I rigged back easy enough and it works fine.

The bag itself is fine aside from that though.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-hockey-equipment-pro-bag.html

I've been using this bag for about 3 years now, still looks new, works good for your run of the mill stuff bag, theres some mesh pockets on the inside ends, and mesh along the top, besides that no frills.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Glad we're back to bag chat cause I was gonna ask the same thing tonight!
Mind just seems oddly sized and takes up too much space. I'm gonna second the "everyone with a grit tower loves it and it's holding up well" remark. That may be what I try to get next.

lovely trip report:
-got appointed/elected as captain and it's only my second season.
-we decided to play like poo poo, not pass, etc and lost 2-1. Shots were like, a billion to 7 though and out goalie stood on his head when he wasn't trying to be Tuukka Rask.
-I'm mad about hockey so I guess I have the "passion" and "fire" it takes or I'm trying too hard.

+How do you convince players to want to improve?
+How do you get guys to pass more as well and not collapse so much?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-hockey-equipment-bag-core-carry-medium.html

edit - scratch that, I found a bunch of reviews whining that the pvc lining delaminates and starts flaking off in under a year.

I confirm that this happens. I scraped a bunch off when it started and now it's fine.

Grit bag comes in Dallas colorway, I'm sold. Just kidding I can't spend that much on a bag, it'd be more expensive than almost any other item in it. looks cool though. I never use the side pockets ever, just the skate one.

AboveAndBeyond posted:

+How do you convince players to want to improve?
+How do you get guys to pass more as well and not collapse so much?

Part of this is finding a team that you can mesh with. I'm not saying it's impossible but I fought this until I found guys that I like and respect and we were on the same wavelength. I joined a bunch of random teams locally and actually took breaks completely twice out frustration until I found my in and then they invited me to their other teams. Now I've got more than a teams worth of people I like which is pretty rare. Bonus is they play hockey too. Wins and losses are irrelevant to us for the most part.

Teams usually find a way to want to win and that involves improving. Playing one lovely game / week / tournament / month isn't the end. If teams are cool with losing all of their games and they aren't drunk and/or the best of friends before the games I'd be shocked. I'd try to to improve one single thing. Make it as simple as possible. Start with the player(s) you think are open to it and work with them. But your job as captain is much more organizational, you shouldn't feel pressure to be a coach too.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 7, 2013

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

D C posted:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-hockey-equipment-pro-bag.html

I've been using this bag for about 3 years now, still looks new, works good for your run of the mill stuff bag, theres some mesh pockets on the inside ends, and mesh along the top, besides that no frills.

Also picked up this bag in the spring. It is a beast. It fits everything, those mesh pockets are great for waterbottle, skates on the ends, wheels, tape, etc.

I hope this is the last bag I ever buy.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Got moved up to play wing tonight and was able to put in 2 more goals. Playing wing is fun, its like a no responsability dangle fest.

We also have back to back games so we get to do it all again in 20 hours then nothing until the 27th.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Topoisomerase posted:

Also lol @ all you try hards getting go pros.

*Casually wanders back to the goalie thread full of GoPro footage*

Actually, thanks to the GoPro we were able to capture this magical moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87rhPw4OPQI

(Fast forward to 4:09 for it)

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I took a puck to the throat last night when a defenseman trying to clear the puck shot it straight into me. I couldn't breath for about 20 seconds and I have this big stupid bruise that looks kind of like a hickey, except it's on my throat. Anyway, it sucks, I don't recommend it, and I refuse to forecheck ever again. :colbert:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I've got the 36" Reebok Pro Player bag and it's great and is showing no wear after 18 months but yeah, it's seriously huge so I imagine the 40" would be way too big for a normal person.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

canuckanese posted:

I took a puck to the throat last night when a defenseman trying to clear the puck shot it straight into me. I couldn't breath for about 20 seconds and I have this big stupid bruise that looks kind of like a hickey, except it's on my throat. Anyway, it sucks, I don't recommend it, and I refuse to forecheck ever again. :colbert:

I think you're in the DC area; what rink and level are you playing at?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My brother in law gave me one of his AHL bags (Portland Pirates) and it is probably the nicest bag I've ever used. Heavy canvas, one huge opening with giant zippers, two internal skate pouches, and two nice straps. I suppose when these things are made to haul pro gear to nearly 100 games a season, they are probably meant to last.

Before that I had a cheap and lovely ccm bag that I maybe paid $20 for and the interior was peeling off after a few years. It was also oddly long while being pretty narrow so it was annoying to go through doorways and the straps were too short to comfortably put on your shoulder.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had no luck this morning finding anyone in my area that would sell me a Z2 bag, they all wanted to do bulk customization orders.

So I just ordered the most basic $25 bag from hockeymonkey I could find. At least when it blows out on me I won't be bummed. All I need is for it to last long enough for me to get around to buying a good canvas bag, maybe from a military surplus or something.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

2 weeks after my first-ever slapshot goal, I got my second last night. I was on D and one of my wingers sent me back a pass at the blue line. The other team wasn't covering the point at all, so I had no one within 20 feet of me. I stop the puck, push it a couple feet forward, take a stride and blast the gently caress out of it. Laser beam to the near-side upper corner. We ended up winning 4-3.

On another note, I went into Costco on Saturday to get some milk and came out with one of these:
https://jawbone.com/speakers/bigjambox

It worked out really well for locker room tunes. Sir Mix-a-Lot is now our victory song.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 7, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I refuse to buy one solely due to the fact their website navigation sucks poo poo.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

"Steve. Steve! You know what people like? HTML 5, and douchey looking people. Can we do that?"

So uh...is Chaparral pretty much the only play to skate in Austin? Their drop-in and public skate times leave a lot to be desired.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

2 weeks after my first-ever slapshot goal, I got my second last night. I was on D and one of my wingers sent me back a pass at the blue line. The other team wasn't covering the point at all, so I had no one within 20 feet of me. I stop the puck, push it a couple feet forward, take a stride and blast the gently caress out of it. Laser beam to the near-side upper corner. We ended up winning 4-3.

On another note, I went into Costco on Saturday to get some milk and came out with one of these:
https://jawbone.com/speakers/bigjambox

It worked out really well for locker room tunes. Sir Mix-a-Lot is now our victory song.

I brought my mini Jambox into the locker room during the playoffs last season, blasted Jock Jams Volume 1 to get everyone pumped for hockey.

There is also not much more rewarding then a howitzer from the point that goes in.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Chap and http://www.pondhockeyclub.com are the 2 spots in Austin. Like most warm weather cities there's not a lot of ice for a lot of players so league play / kids leagues take up the majority of time.

BigJambox owns, battery life is good, signal reaches pretty far and volume is loud. If anyone is looking for one I got one off of Craigslist sealed for a very very good deal as I think a bunch of people in my area got them as corporate gifts or something.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

D C posted:

I brought my mini Jambox into the locker room during the playoffs last season, blasted Jock Jams Volume 1 to get everyone pumped for hockey.

There is also not much more rewarding then a howitzer from the point that goes in.

You watched the mites skate before your game while blasting "Rock and Roll Pt 2" on repeat, didn't you?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Danger Zone got everyone on my team pumped up.

sellouts posted:

BigJambox owns, battery life is good, signal reaches pretty far and volume is loud. If anyone is looking for one I got one off of Craigslist sealed for a very very good deal as I think a bunch of people in my area got them as corporate gifts or something.

Seriously, I couldn't believe the volume and sound quality of this thing. I got this instead of the GoPro and I think I made the right decision.

I don't think I've laughed as hard as I did last night when you got a whole team rapping to Baby Got Back.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 7, 2013

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

My bag is way too huge and I would buy a smaller one I'm just short on funds. I've also been toying around with the idea of just making my own since no bag out there seems to have everything I want.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 7, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

My bag is way too huge and I would buy a smaller one I'm just short on funds. I've also been toying around with the idea of just making my own.

The bag I've been using is listed as 38x18x18, plus a pocket on the outside for skates. My gear just kind of floats around in there (except for lately, now it falls out of holes).

Before I ordered a new bag I took all my gear and compressed it down, see how little space I could get it in by just packing it tighter. Came out to 33x14x14, which if you dig around is roughly the size of most junior gear bags. So I chose a bag listed at 30x14x14 and hopefully that ends up being perfect.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Dangerllama posted:

"Steve. Steve! You know what people like? HTML 5, and douchey looking people. Can we do that?"

So uh...is Chaparral pretty much the only play to skate in Austin? Their drop-in and public skate times leave a lot to be desired.

Yup, you're stuck with Chap and the newly opened Pond Hockey Club (3/4 sheet, hockey only, development oriented).
Are you down here visiting or something?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yeah. All my co-workers are in Austin so I'm down about once every two months. I'd schlep all my gear down if there was ice, but I guess not.

Charlie
Aug 25, 2004

It passed through unharmed!
Bag talk! I got this last March, so I can't speak to it's long-term durability. I love everything about it, though. The pockets are sweet and the "carry" straps work great as shoulder straps. Everything I wanted and more. I get the benefit of simplicity, though, so if this conks out soon, I'll be looking up those pro-style bags.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-hockey-equipment-bag-covert-carry.html

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

Yeah. All my co-workers are in Austin so I'm down about once every two months. I'd schlep all my gear down if there was ice, but I guess not.

If I ever make it down there not during SXSW I will likely schedule a drop in. I will let you know if you happen to be down there and want to skate with Brad and I.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Dangerllama posted:

This may change when the Pond buys the property next door. It's a roller derby practice arena and is big enough to house a full rink. Word is the current owners of the roller derby arena aren't interested in renewing the lease and the Pond owners are eager to snap it up. Course that'll be another 6 months of construction, but again I have to sing the praises of the Pond for being a clean crisp sheet, with boards and glass that don't surprise you, and lines that are visible to the naked eye. If they can stick a bar in there, I will not miss Chap one bit.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

This may change when the Pond buys the property next door. It's a roller derby practice arena and is big enough to house a full rink. Word is the current owners of the roller derby arena aren't interested in renewing the lease and the Pond owners are eager to snap it up. Course that'll be another 6 months of construction, but again I have to sing the praises of the Pond for being a clean crisp sheet, with boards and glass that don't surprise you, and lines that are visible to the naked eye. If they can stick a bar in there, I will not miss Chap one bit.

Never thought "I can see the lines" would be such a big deal until skating for a year at Chap.
Did you see the TABC Liquor License permit sign up at The Pond?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Bradf0rd posted:

Never thought "I can see the lines" would be such a big deal until skating for a year at Chap.
Did you see the TABC Liquor License permit sign up at The Pond?

I know that it's not Chap's responsibility for the parking lot, I still find it immensely funny that the parking lot lines got redone before the ice's.

While I'm not a big fan of TABC, it's beer, and it's a step in the right direction.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

xzzy posted:

I had no luck this morning finding anyone in my area that would sell me a Z2 bag, they all wanted to do bulk customization orders.

I found a retailer that sells these online, and bought one: http://www.streiffs.com/product.php?productid=78602&cat=1169&page=1. Streiffs is apparently a local sporting goods store in Minnesota, and per the website they still have two of these bags left in stock.

The bag came today - no choice on colors (mine is red, white, and blue), but definitely seems to be a cut above my old Bauer bag. There aren't any pockets but everything fits into it, so I'll have to learn to rough it like a high school player and just throw everything inside.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Someone lost a finger tonight on the other rink. Took the glove off and it was spraying. Had to put it in ice for it to be reattached.

No one could tell us now it happened. The rink guys didnt think it was a skate. Terrible.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sellouts posted:

Someone lost a finger tonight on the other rink. Took the glove off and it was spraying. Had to put it in ice for it to be reattached.

No one could tell us now it happened. The rink guys didnt think it was a skate. Terrible.

Happy Halloween!

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

sellouts posted:

:stare:

Can't wait for my game tonight now.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

sellouts posted:

:stare:

If it wasn't a skate ... what the hell would cause someone to lose their finger ... and beneath the glove? WTF.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

All I can think of is:

1. Finger caught in something, degloved by wedding ring
2. Finger getting caught under a stick blade with the hand on the ice, palm up, while someone leans on the stick
3. Finger caught in a gap in the boards or glass somehow.

Also: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9712075/arizona-cardinals-safety-rashad-johnson-loses-part-finger-glove

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Which is why I have a difficult time watching the NBA when a dude walks off the court because he jammed his finger ... and is on IR for 2 weeks but thats an entirely different story.

I just tried getting my inline team to sign up at another rink after talking about it all summer and everyone being enthusiastic. 20-30 minutes away, really nice facilities, cheap league fees ... Sunday morning/afternoon games.
Out of 12 or so guys that I emailed the majority of them denied because "its football season, get back to me in april"

:rolleyes:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That's the reason that most people want to move from Bronze (Sundays) to Silver B (Monday/Fridays) here. I haven't seen a live Superbowl since I started playing hockey :(

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

That's the reason that most people want to move from Bronze (Sundays) to Silver B (Monday/Fridays) here. I haven't seen a live Superbowl since I started playing hockey :(

Sunday sucks for hockey. It was made for recovery and football.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Information that would have been useful to me a year and a half ago. :haw:

quote:

2. You're trying your laces too tight. Tighter is not better. After quizzing the entire Wolves hockey team in 2010, I discovered that most of them agreed that tight at the bend is fine, but the rest is lose or snug, never tight. (Always a blast asking a pro the question, "Do you prefer tight or loose?" I never know what I'm going to get!) Get rid of your wax laces and your lace puller and just tie your skates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

My division doesn't play on Sundays but the ones that do don't schedule games on Super Bowl Sunday.