Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ohthatdan posted:

Can we all agree though that the greatest horror movie 80s synth is the soundtrack to Halloween III?

Not while The Thing was made in 1982, we can't.

Hallowe'en is such a great movie. To prove the point I'm going to put something under spoiler text here; please read it and post your immediate reaction.

I used to know someone who used the main theme as their mobile ringtone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ohthatdan posted:

Can we all agree though that the greatest horror movie 80s synth is the soundtrack to Halloween III?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nHV6MAA1K8

(incidentally I'm going to see Goblin live on Wednesday and I could not be more loving pumped)

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

I rewatched Halloween II for the first time in years last night. Dean Cundey probably should have been nominated for an Oscar for that...the only reason the movie works at all is because it looks great. The scene where the nurse backs up to a totally black background and Michael Myers's mask slowly appears behind her is incredible.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I agree but I feel that is due to William Peterson, the actor who plays Dollarhyde, and the 80's moodiness. The actual plot of the movie doesn't really fit together as well as Red Dragon in my opinion. I actually really like Red Dragon, if you couldn't tell. I know I'm in the minority though.

It's due to the difference between Bret Ratner and Michael Mann.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jedit posted:

Not while The Thing was made in 1982, we can't.

Hallowe'en is such a great movie. To prove the point I'm going to put something under spoiler text here; please read it and post your immediate reaction.

I used to know someone who used the main theme as their mobile ringtone.

Are you referring to Halloween by Carpenter, or something I've missed? Genuinely curious because I've never seen the title with the apostrophe in it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sire Oblivion posted:

Are you referring to Halloween by Carpenter, or something I've missed? Genuinely curious because I've never seen the title with the apostrophe in it.

It's automatic, "Hallowe'en" being an abbreviation of "All Hallows Even".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Is it just me or is the Return of the Living Dead the only horror franchise to give us sexy zombies?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Zombie Strippers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Arguably that's the premise of Deadgirl.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Is this assuming we aren't all necrophiliacs?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Against better judgment I decided to watch Hellraiser III: Hell On Earth It... wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. But it feels like at this point the Hellraiser series becomes like a regular slasher move franchise. The first movies, even if I wasn't in love with the second one, had its own unique style and pacing to it. III felt like it was following the steps of like Nightmare on Elm Street. Pinhead himself especially feels more like a smart-talking slasher villain like Freddy than an unnatural force of pain or however you would describe him in I and II.

The only reason I even watched III was because of the "We Have Such Films To Show You" podcast, which is great! I listened to their entry on II and really enjoyed it. III's podcast was just as good, if not better because there were more things to make fun of in it. So I think I might just watch every single Hellraiser movie just so I can listen to this podcast, it's that good.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011

MantisToboggan posted:

This reminded me of something I've been thinking about lately. With the amount of remakes we're getting every year, there aren't many sacred cows of the horror genre left that haven't been redone. I wonder: how long until he hear that The Shining, The Exorcist, The Silence of the Lambs, etc. are being remade? I'd like to think some films are untouchable but that's obviously not the case.

Im scared of the Jaws remake that is sure to come sooner or later... CGI Shark, probably found footage.. It will not be pretty

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion
finally got around to watching Yellowbrickroad, and I think that goes on my "wtf did I just watch?" list for 2013.
Didn't hate it, but I felt like I had to work too hard for the payoff, and I am still somewhat really confused as to just what the hell it is really about.

I thought it gets points on atmosphere, also bringing something somewhat unique to the genre (for me anyway), and as a whole, it wasn't too awful of a low budget film. Any major thoughts come up for people about the premise? Was the main character already dead by suicide, and this was him moving through purgatory/hell? It was somewhat referenced early on, especially at the box office scene. Maybe I am just thinking about it too much, but there were moments that really kind of creeped me out, especially with the dialogue between the characters as they start to break down. As they were slowly going crazy, I sort of felt like I was too due to the lack of a solid base to stand on as far as a story goes, and the disorienting feel of the cinematography and sounds. Couldn't tell if that was intentional or just sloppy writing/directing/acting.

Like I said, I didn't hate it, didn't love it, somewhat ambivalent, but it did keep me thinking and trying to go deeper with the plot and character motives, what little there was. Guess it was a success in that light.

eckoelab fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 7, 2013

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's the season and last night the family gathered to cut pumpkins and all that poo poo. The day was winding down and we decided to watch a movie. I slipped in Trick 'r Treat and we sat down to watch it.

I love this movie. I think it's a great Halloween classic and a lot of fun. However at the end of the movie my family was just all "I don't get it." What is there to get? It's not like some deep metaphorical plot you need to be taking notes for.

"What was the thing about the school bus?" "Who are all these people?" "Wait what happened to the werewolves?"

Goddamn people, just enjoy a fantastic Halloween movie!

Ride The Gravitron fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 8, 2013

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Have they ever seen anthology horror?

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

When I say I liked Martyrs, I certainly hope the person takes my meaning that it was a good film.

Well yeah, I just felt the need to clarify since there was apparently some need to parse what is meant by "liked" in the case of movies that can't really be classified as light, escapist entertainment.

quote:

finally got around to watching Yellowbrickroad...Any major thoughts come up for people about the premise? Was the main character already dead by suicide, and this was him moving through purgatory/hell?

My two cents on Yellowbrickroad...

I thought it was actually pretty straightforward in its own odd way. The forest is haunted and evil - whether it was before the townsfolk disappeared or not isn't clear, but reality gets really distorted the deeper into the woods the protagonists go. What comes through are echoes of the town's consciousness, like the deafening, distorted renditions of songs from The Wizard of Oz, a popular movie in town at the time everyone disappeared. The one guy who survives all the way through ends up where all of the townsfolk ended up, in hell or some kind of nightmare dimension, also given form by the town's consciousness as the movie theater where they all spent so much time before they left town. This is hinted at in the beginning when the GPS coordinates for the trailhead lead to the theater instead - time and space is fractured in this town. The last member of the team is trapped there just like the rest of the town was (hence all the skeletons in the theater), forced to watch his friends and loved ones tortured for all eternity.

In a way, the end to Yellowbrickroad reminded me of the end to the original version of The Vanishing - "you want to know what happened to them? Okay - here's what happened!" It's just that what happened was mind-bendingly hosed up and beyond human comprehension.

Craig Spradlin fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 8, 2013

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

ohthatdan posted:

John Carpenter and Alan Howarth did such awesome synth work in the late 70s and early 80s. Tangerine Dream did some great soundtrack work during the same time, but Carpenter and Howarth just went above and beyond. Carpenter's films have such instantly memorable tunes, one of the only comparisons I can think of is Charles Bernstein's synth-heavy soundtrack for the original A Nightmare on Elm Street. Vangelis' Blade Runner soundtrack blows them all away for instant recognizability, however.

Yeah, I really love 70s/80s synth soundtrack work.

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion

Craig Spradlin posted:

My two cents on Yellowbrickroad...

wow, even more dismal than my interpretation. I guess that is the reason why I found the film slightly disturbing, in its subtle way of slapping you in the face with the themes of reality/non-reality and the eternity that will be spent suffering.

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

Seeing them mentioned even in the context of 80's music makes me realize that I haven't seen a lot of classic horror from that era, namely Halloween and The Thing. I know what I'm doing when I have some spare time. :kiddo:

I wasn't super crazy about Halloween: Rob Zombie Edition but I'm told the original is a different beast entirely. I'm really looking forward to it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Halloween is actually 70s, but it's one of the best, most important, and most influential horror movies of all time, so definitely watch that.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Halloween is actually 70s, but it's one of the best, most important, and most influential horror movies of all time, so definitely watch that.

Halloween is legit fantastic. It has one of the best third acts ever. It's relentless.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Halloween is tight.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Finally watched Excision last night. Jesus christ what a discomforting movie, but incredibly well-acted by everyone involved.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Just watched Lords of Salem and I really enjoyed it, mostly due to the visuals. I thought that Sherri Moon Zombie was fine.
Style over substance, but if you have this much style then there are no complaints from me.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Buzkashi posted:

Finally watched Excision last night. Jesus christ what a discomforting movie, but incredibly well-acted by everyone involved.

Excision is my favorite horror movie of the last five years or so. Just a brutal goddamn gently caress you ride.

e: I haven't seen REC in about 4 years. I'm so excited to see REC again.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 8, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Hellraiser IV: Bloodlines is not so bad. I think the three stories was a cool idea, and there's some fun stuff in there. The ending was super silly but in a way I can sorta get into. I guess all the other movies in the series are supposed to be REALLY bad, so I guess I have a whole new dimension of pain to look forward to?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
What gets me about Halloween is that everybody acts totally reasonably. Some people are irresponsible, but as soon as they know there's a danger, people respond accordingly (though most don't get much time to do it in). It's a slasher, but it doesn't rely on people being stupid as hell.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pope Guilty posted:

What gets me about Halloween is that everybody acts totally reasonably. Some people are irresponsible, but as soon as they know there's a danger, people respond accordingly (though most don't get much time to do it in). It's a slasher, but it doesn't rely on people being stupid as hell.

No cell phones helps too. Horror movies of today have to put a lot more thought into effectively isolating the characters, or at least pay lip service to why they don't use a cell phone in the first 5 minutes to call the cops.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Hellraiser IV: Bloodlines is not so bad. I think the three stories was a cool idea, and there's some fun stuff in there. The ending was super silly but in a way I can sorta get into. I guess all the other movies in the series are supposed to be REALLY bad, so I guess I have a whole new dimension of pain to look forward to?

Bloodline suffered from a lack of production for the concept. It would have made a better novel than film.

One of the later ones is "okay," but the next 3 or 4 movies are other movies repurposed as Hellraiser movies. It's basically a "ok" movie with Pinhead shoehorned into it, from what I remember.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Basebf555 posted:

No cell phones helps too. Horror movies of today have to put a lot more thought into effectively isolating the characters, or at least pay lip service to why they don't use a cell phone in the first 5 minutes to call the cops.

They had a pretty clever send-up of that in You're Next, where Erin calls (texts?) the cops almost immediately and a beat cop actually does show up by the end, even if he's useless and way too late.

In most horror movies now it's "Hey, we conveniently don't have a signal out here!", or a character runs into bad luck with their phone's battery being dead.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Despite growing up in the eighties, I never made an effort to watch the Nightmare and Friday the 13th movies until recently. I used to believe these two franchises were always about equal in quality, but having watched all of Friday, and the first three Nightmare films (and New Nightmare), there really is absolutely no contest. Even the apparently spurned Nightmare 2 has some fantastic imagery, like the transformation scene, while the majority of Friday films are about as dull as dishwater. There's this long streak until Friday 6 where almost all of the victims are completely oblivious that they're being stalked by a killer until they're down to the last one or two, and the film's almost over.

The only reason I see why Friday kept on as long is because they seem to have been dirt-cheap to make. Friday 6 was great fun because it fully embraced how absurd the entire series is, but it's a decline again from then on.

I also never realized before that the Great Humongous' hockey mask actually predates Jason's.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Hannibal Rex posted:

Despite growing up in the eighties, I never made an effort to watch the Nightmare and Friday the 13th movies until recently. I used to believe these two franchises were always about equal in quality, but having watched all of Friday, and the first three Nightmare films (and New Nightmare), there really is absolutely no contest. Even the apparently spurned Nightmare 2 has some fantastic imagery, like the transformation scene, while the majority of Friday films are about as dull as dishwater. There's this long streak until Friday 6 where almost all of the victims are completely oblivious that they're being stalked by a killer until they're down to the last one or two, and the film's almost over.

The only reason I see why Friday kept on as long is because they seem to have been dirt-cheap to make. Friday 6 was great fun because it fully embraced how absurd the entire series is, but it's a decline again from then on.

I also never realized before that the Great Humongous' hockey mask actually predates Jason's.

I'm curious to see how your opinion changes if/when you watch Nightmare 4-6.

I'm in a similar position, where until this year, I had only seen Freddy vs Jason, New Nightmare and the first of each series. In that context, I was a bigger fan of Freddy.

Since then, I've watched both franchises (sans remakes) and I've actually reversed my opinion: I'm way more into Jason than Freddy. There's something...sympathetic about him. He's mentally challenged and physically deformed, teased and only loved by a mother, who "learns" from her that bad teenagers should be killed, before seeing her killed. He's really just doing what he saw his mom do. Child murderer just isn't as compelling.

The kills in the Nightmare movies are more creative, but really, being in a dream, there's infinite possibilities. I also felt like the endings of most of the Nightmare movies felt cheap and easy, particularly Part 4, where the main actress just...I dunno, wills Freddy to die?.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Friday the 13th:VI did give us this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbT8n_ay4fM

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Jeez, I can't watch that anymore without thinking of Alice Cooper's Wingback Chair.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

eckoelab posted:

finally got around to watching Yellowbrickroad, and I think that goes on my "wtf did I just watch?" list for 2013.
Didn't hate it, but I felt like I had to work too hard for the payoff, and I am still somewhat really confused as to just what the hell it is really about.

yellowbrickroad is essentially Event Horizon on a hiking trail instead of a spaceship.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Which is the Nightmare on Elm Street where they have a pool party that Freddy crashes and all the kids storm the fence and people get trampled?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Volume posted:

Which is the Nightmare on Elm Street where they have a pool party that Freddy crashes and all the kids storm the fence and people get trampled?

The gay one.

(Two)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Silhouette posted:

yellowbrickroad is essentially Event Horizon on a hiking trail instead of a spaceship.

:psyduck:

You just made me enjoy YBR so much more.

Edit: drat, American Mary is NOT a good film.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 9, 2013

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life

Silhouette posted:

Sam Neil would have been a better choice for the main character I thought.
Good movie though, the record scratches and sonic attacks were a pretty neat touch, too bad it ended like a Goosebumps book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
The You're Next thread was archived already, but I saw this post;

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I didn't stick around to watch an after credits thing but the credits themselves imply that she's imprisoned as the perpetrator of the massacre (or more likely, for the murder of the cop). Unless that's not what you meant.

I didn't stay for the credits at all so I'm just interested in what they do to imply that.