Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Crazyeyes posted:

I hate Franky's English VA.

Brook's is surprisingly good, though. Different, but still definitely "him."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I like it. It's a good adaptation of Cho's work.

And like Franky, it seems that Brook is going to be introduced to the English fanbase via an outside source (i.e., not the TV series). Except Ian Sinclair gets to debut in Strong World as opposed to Patrick Seitz appearing in Unlimited Adventure which flopped in the US.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Monet is much more of a threat in the anime. in the manga she pretty much was an afterthought.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
What is the general consensus among One Piece fans about the funimation voices? Who are some of the favorites and most spot on?

I got into One Piece via the funimation dvd releases in 2011, so they are the only voices I have known. The only time I was forced to experience the awful 4kids voices was via the ps2 games that I picked up that were a few years old by that point.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
They're fine but nowhere near as good as the original voice cast.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I don't usually go all stereotypical anime nerd but I really do like the original voices a lot more than the dubs. They're not bad but they all feel very much like they're reading right off a script, where the original cast puts a bit more emotion and energy in.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
They've still got time to hire Tim Curry and secure the win though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gyges posted:

I'll fuckin burn all my japanese poo poo if this happens because yea that's the peak of achievement.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I don't usually go all stereotypical anime nerd but I really do like the original voices a lot more than the dubs. They're not bad but they all feel very much like they're reading right off a script, where the original cast puts a bit more emotion and energy in.

They are also reading right off a script.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDshTifuS_A
I love Kazuki Yao so much.
I would watch the entire god drat show in this format.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 25, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I thought the supposed difference was that Japanese casts read on site with each other and dub roles are farmed out individually.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh yea I didn't mean to imply the JP actors were somehow memorizing the lines or whatever, I'm just saying with the NA ones it feels a lot more obvious, you know? If the difference really is the JP actors are all in the same room I can see how that'd be the big point.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I'm starting to get excited again about OP, Smoker vs Vergo = awesome. Zoro vs Monte = awesome.

Wish they'd save the loving children already though. Im starting to wonder something, usually you have a lot of 1vs1 so lots of bad guys are introduced early on but in this arc there aren't that many which leads me to believe that their might be a team battle against The Gas Man.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I think just the voice over industry as a whole, especially with anime, is completely different in Japan. I was listening to a podcast with Steve Blum on it and I remember him saying he got paid more for one episodes of Transformers than he did for ALL of Cowboy Bebop.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Suspicious Lump posted:

I'm starting to get excited again about OP, Smoker vs Vergo = awesome. Zoro vs Monte = awesome.

Wish they'd save the loving children already though. Im starting to wonder something, usually you have a lot of 1vs1 so lots of bad guys are introduced early on but in this arc there aren't that many which leads me to believe that their might be a team battle against The Gas Man.

I don't care who fights who so long as the kids shut up. Constant shots of them running aimlessly and Mocha screaming are driving me insane.

Also I think judging by the last episode, Monet is pretty much down and out after the confrontation with Zoro

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

They're not bad but they all feel very much like they're reading right off a script, where the original cast puts a bit more emotion and energy in.

Dubs generally aren't totally scripted, in fact. The actors are given a transcript of the translation of the original lines and then they improv the actual lines and delivery a bit, to fit in with mouth flaps and such.

Senor Candle posted:

They are also reading right off a script.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDshTifuS_A
I love Kazuki Yao so much.
I would watch the entire god drat show in this format.

On the subject of the Funi dub, in the commentary for the DVDs, every time Sonny Strait (Ussop) is on, he always gushes over how amazing Kazuki Yao is, and talks about how much energy and emotion he puts into all his lines.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The dub VAs vary, but I really love Ussop's voice. He sounds exactly like I always imagined he would.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Gyges posted:

That would be absolutely smashing.

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!
New Episode, uggh did we really need to spend what amounts to an entire episode on Mocha and the kids...

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Uldor posted:

New Episode, uggh did we really need to spend what amounts to an entire episode on Mocha and the kids...
Half an ep was fine but then it dragged out. Still it was a surprise. I just hope Chopper ends up losing his poo poo at someone later on. Probably not because of his broken body.

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!

Suspicious Lump posted:

Half an ep was fine but then it dragged out. Still it was a surprise. I just hope Chopper ends up losing his poo poo at someone later on. Probably not because of his broken body.

Agreed, half an episode would have been fine, and yea I wanna see him go crazy and pound out someone for this

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Havoc904 posted:

What is the general consensus among One Piece fans about the funimation voices? Who are some of the favorites and most spot on?

I got into One Piece via the funimation dvd releases in 2011, so they are the only voices I have known. The only time I was forced to experience the awful 4kids voices was via the ps2 games that I picked up that were a few years old by that point.

I wish we could have kept the 4kids voices. Yes, even sanji's brooklyn-accent-with-a-cold.

It just sounded more lively! Also, I can't disassociate half the funimation VAs with characters from DBZ, it makes the show super awkward. And yeah, there was no way anyone could live up to kazuki yao, but I could've lived with that if everyone else weren't so bad.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
In Smoker's flashback, the animators completely forgot about the body swap

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Watching One Piece on Adult Swim and they're still sailing Merry. Which got me thinking that people only watching on Adult Swim aren't going to get the full effect of Merry's Viking Funeral. That's sad.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Gyges posted:

Watching One Piece on Adult Swim and they're still sailing Merry. Which got me thinking that people only watching on Adult Swim aren't going to get the full effect of Merry's Viking Funeral. That's sad.

dont think adult swim is up to water 7 yet. they just showed the davy back fight.

AkumaHokoru fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 14, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Robin just got frozen by Aokiji. But the shot of the Merry got me thinking that viewers are only going to see the ship for a handful of episodes since Water 7 and Enis Lobby are mostly Merry-less.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Considering how Toonami started airing at around the Davy Back arc, I think they just assume that anyone who's watching it on tv has at least a passing familiarity with the show.

KoB
May 1, 2009

cooldude2.0 posted:

In Smoker's flashback, the animators completely forgot about the body swap

That was when they were captured in the cage, Law had switched them back but they were tied up.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

KoB posted:

That was when they were captured in the cage, Law had switched them back but they were tied up.
indeed, I forgot about that short stretch.
Logically there's no way it could have been wrong since it's just pasted footage

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Holy crap ep 616 is amazing!

What the gently caress Law... when was he that strong. Extremely well done, I thought it was going to end with a cliffhanger but nope. Im an anime only so that was awesome.

2 things I'm confused about

1. Doflamingo is not the same as the four emperors that Law wants to topple right? (ones the Shichibukai and the other is... whatever White Beard was called).
2. Do we know what "gear" is Law talking about?

One Piece just got better again!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Suspicious Lump posted:

What the gently caress Law... when was he that strong. Extremely well done, I thought it was going to end with a cliffhanger but nope. Im an anime only so that was awesome.

1. Doflamingo is not the same as the four emperors that Law wants to topple right? (ones the Shichibukai and the other is... whatever White Beard was called).

The four Emporers or Yonkou are Kaidou Big Mom (Fish Island Arc showed her) Blackbeard (Took Whitebeards spot) and Shanks

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Haha, FINALLY they get to this great part! :dance:

I'm definitely going to show this episode to my roommate today who likes Fairy Tail to turn him on to One Piece. :D

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Suspicious Lump posted:

sub 1. Law was always that strong
1. No Donflamingo works for one of the 4 yonkou though by increasing that yonkou's army

2. the gear law speaks of is more of a figure of speech. The gear he speaks of is like a gear in how the politics of the one piece world works out. With him cutting off one of the yonkou's power that 4 way split may not remain a 4 way split add to that the new rookie pirates out to outright remove the 4 and the picture becomes more clear hopefully.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

AkumaHokoru posted:

sub 1. Law was always that strong
1. No Donflamingo works for one of the 4 yonkou though by increasing that yonkou's army

2. the gear law speaks of is more of a figure of speech. The gear he speaks of is like a gear in how the politics of the one piece world works out. With him cutting off one of the yonkou's power that 4 way split may not remain a 4 way split add to that the new rookie pirates out to outright remove the 4 and the picture becomes more clear hopefully.

It's not so much that Doflamingo works for Kaidou so much as Kaidou is his biggest customer... who wouldn't take kindly to being unable to do business anymore.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

It's not so much that Doflamingo works for Kaidou so much as Kaidou is his biggest customer... who wouldn't take kindly to being unable to do business anymore.

hrm...thats still beyond mere working together. its like if they were working together and something stopped sad kaidou would help if they were allied. its more like he's forced to work for kaidou to make his army better or kaidou would kill him.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I wouldn't say forced. However at Fishman Island we learned what happens when you fail to fill a contractual quota. Plus Joker is essentially the top illegal arms dealer, and botching an illegal arms deal is usually pretty bad for your health.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Kaido is also just kind of a dick, given that he attempted to attack Whitebeard during the Marineford arc and had to be turned away by Shanks.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Oh Snapple! posted:

Kaido is also just kind of a dick, given that he attempted to attack Whitebeard during the Marineford arc and had to be turned away by Shanks.

Also slaughtering Moria's entire crew.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
No reason to think Moria didn't have it coming though.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Kaido seems much more businesslike than Big Mom as far as deals, though. Compare Big Mom and Fishman Island vs Kaido and Joker (Don Quixote). Kaido is still paying for the S.A.D., when he could very likely just compel Caesar and Doflamingo to give it to him. This suggests that he understands the value of actually doing business vs straight compulsion. Also his attempt at hitting Whitebeard when he had the chance was pretty reasonable considering they were rivals and Whitebeard was likely stronger than him at the time (though this is not confirmed).

All in all I can't wait til Luffy comes face to face with Kaido as so little about him has been revealed thusfar and an army of Zoans sounds pretty righteous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's weird to think that we might be only a few arcs (or mega-arcs) away from the end of the manga. Doflamingo/Dressrosa is currently in progress and seems set to lead in to Kaidou/Wano. At the end of which Luffy will be a Yonkou, presumably with a large fleet of allies. And which really kind of leaves one with the impression the following arc would be Blackbeard, either taking place on or ending with Raftel and then a (disputed) final arc at Mariajois against Akainu and possibly other Marine heads like Kong, the Gorosei etc. We might really only have 4 arcs left. Granted it'll still probably take near a decade, but it's still odd to think about considering how long most of us have probably been reading this.