Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

There's 1 1/2" to 2" of headspace from the top of the BB (using a 5 gallon BB to measure since my 6 gallon is in a swamp cooler and full of beer, but from what I can tell they're the same height) to the top of the fridge.

I'd just jam a big piece of tubing in there, but it'd be at least 1 1/2" ID, I think -- I'm not sure offhand how big the opening of the BB is, but it's significantly bigger than a glass carboy. I can't see that working with the amount of headspace without kinking it pretty bad to make an elbow.

I may also try putting some 1/2" tubing over the nipple (is that what it's called?) of a universal stopper (the non-solid ones with the... nipple in the middle), if that won't kink up, that's probably the best solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
How about making an elbow out of some copper tubing or something? Jam one end in a holed stopper or carboy hood, and the other into some tubing. I guess you could also do the same with some rigid plastic tubing (soften it in hot water then flex to shape and allow to cool) if you wanted it to be transparent.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Is the general consensus that carboy hoods/caps (the orange/maroon rubber deals with the two out tubes and white caps) are sufficiently airtight to prevent oxygenation or contamination? They just seem a bit loose.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cargo/brewbot-the-smart-brewing-appliance

Ran across this on another homebrew forum, and thought people might be interested. Sorry if it's already been posted, but I didn't see any mention of it in the last few pages. If this thing is as simple to use and reliable as they say it is, then I could see it being a boon to anyone trying to really iron out all of the kinks in their recipes. On the other hand, it is looking like it'll retail for around $3000us, and there are already other automated brewing systems on the market in that price range with a much larger capacity and flexibility(although they're also much more industrial looking, and require a lot more knowledge and space to set up and use, so I could see this appealing to a different part of the market). Either way, I'll probably throw down a few bucks in support.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

more falafel please posted:

Is the general consensus that carboy hoods/caps (the orange/maroon rubber deals with the two out tubes and white caps) are sufficiently airtight to prevent oxygenation or contamination? They just seem a bit loose.

They work just fine with my stuff. They don't have to hold a lot of pressure or anything.

To be clear, I use them on 6-gallon Better Bottles and Bubbler carboys.

Be aware there are two sizes - one with the white caps, and one with blue caps.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BLARGHLE posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cargo/brewbot-the-smart-brewing-appliance

Ran across this on another homebrew forum, and thought people might be interested. Sorry if it's already been posted, but I didn't see any mention of it in the last few pages. If this thing is as simple to use and reliable as they say it is, then I could see it being a boon to anyone trying to really iron out all of the kinks in their recipes. On the other hand, it is looking like it'll retail for around $3000us, and there are already other automated brewing systems on the market in that price range with a much larger capacity and flexibility(although they're also much more industrial looking, and require a lot more knowledge and space to set up and use, so I could see this appealing to a different part of the market). Either way, I'll probably throw down a few bucks in support.

Very cool. I'm curious as to where they supply their fermenters from, because a square bodied stainless steel fermentation vessel makes a lot of sense. It doesn't look like they're doing 5 gallon batches though, does it?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Very cool. I'm curious as to where they supply their fermenters from, because a square bodied stainless steel fermentation vessel makes a lot of sense. It doesn't look like they're doing 5 gallon batches though, does it?

Those are standard food-service equipment. You can get them in a wide variety of shapes and sizes at any restaurant supply store.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jo3sh posted:

Those are standard food-service equipment. You can get them in a wide variety of shapes and sizes at any restaurant supply store.

Cool. I hadn't seen any with a gasket seal like that.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The tech specs say it does 20liter/5.2gal brews

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Cool. I hadn't seen any with a gasket seal like that.

The gaskets may be custom-made, or I may be looking at something different than you are.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

Jo3sh posted:

Hotel Pans.

Both ciders are fermenting (S-04, natural) and brewed off a coffee porter that should get a helping of some tasty Metropolis coffee before kegging. Was both lazy and didn't have any appropriate yeast, so I used wit yeast - here is to hoping it doesn't turn into an orange/roasted mess.

Last year's cider turned a lovely ruby red. They were my first ciders, this is the 'dry' champagne yeast version - but both five gallon batches got 1# of both light and medium (dark?) brown sugar and 1# of molasses. Initially it was little heavy fisted with molasses but I still drank it - now I'm wishing I would have gone through less.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I'm having trouble finding good information on the [mash temp->final gravity] correlation. Anyone know of any practical experiments that were done showing hard data on this?

I'm not looking for theory. Just looking for real numbers to try and troubleshoot a few issues I've been having with beers fermenting way too low.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Anyone have suggestions for a first extract lager recipe? My new minifridge can get down to 36 or so, so I'm looking to take the plunge.

Thinking about a vague conversion of an AG Old Style (shut up, I love Old Style) clone I've seen on the internet:

6 lbs Pilsner LME
3 lbs Rice Syrup (add @ 15)
1 oz BC Goldings @ 60
1.25 oz Saaz @ 15
Irish Moss
Yeast Nutrient

WLP840/WY2007/WY2272

Ferment at 53, d-rest at 60, lager at 40.

edit: that's first lager, not first batch. I've done 8 or so ale batches and will probably have another couple under my belt by the time I do this one.

more falafel please fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 8, 2013

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Does anyone have any thermometer recommendations? I've been looking at probe based ones but they are all more catered to food/meat. I'd like something I can use on my brew day and something I can leave in my swamp cooler afterwards to monitor temperature. High/Low ranges are ok but not necessary. This is most likely a short term investment until I get a few more batches under my belt and buy a small chest freezer and convert it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Virigoth posted:

Does anyone have any thermometer recommendations? I've been looking at probe based ones but they are all more catered to food/meat. I'd like something I can use on my brew day and something I can leave in my swamp cooler afterwards to monitor temperature. High/Low ranges are ok but not necessary. This is most likely a short term investment until I get a few more batches under my belt and buy a small chest freezer and convert it.

Get a Thermapen to use while brewing and some stick-on thermometers for your carboys/buckets during fermentation. The stick-on ones work fine for me and are very cheap (~$2/ea), and the Thermapen will change your life. Don't waste your money on something cheap like I did (three times over), shell out the cash for the Thermapen and you will be very happy with it.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
My stick on thermometers always crap out on me after a few uses. I try to dry them real good after cleaning them too, so it's not like I'm not taking care of them.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

I need ideas for airlock/blowoff options for a Better Bottle with a limited amount of vertical space (about 1 1/2"-2").
I use the piece of 1/4" racking cane with 3/8" tubing over it that goes down to a blowoff collector and airlock:

3/8" tubing as worked without a clog for me (up to 1.089 OG), but I've had the airlock with 1/2" tubing explode on me before. The opening on some of my airlocks has a little grate on them that clogs sometimes. Even the airlocks without those, the hole is kinda small. It is made to let gas out, not gunk. That's why I think the piece of blowoff tubing is fine. If you need it to fit in less space, just get one of those right angle hose barbs from the hardware store.

The collection vessel (which has been sanitized) I bought at the grocery store but it sucks because it isn't airtight. Not because :siren: contamination :siren: because that will never ever happen, even with your orange carboy cap. My collection vessel sucks because it doesn't make the airlock bubble as much as it could. I'm going to replace it with an empty PET peanut butter jar once I empty out all the peanut butter. Germs and stuff that are going to infect your beer have no chance of getting up around seals which aren't airtight. In order for that to happen you'd have to be getting a good amount of airflow flowing into the fermenter. That just doesn't happen.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

LaserWash posted:

My stick on thermometers always crap out on me after a few uses. I try to dry them real good after cleaning them too, so it's not like I'm not taking care of them.

They aren't supposed to get wet at all so that's probably the issue.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

fullroundaction posted:

I'm having trouble finding good information on the [mash temp->final gravity] correlation. Anyone know of any practical experiments that were done showing hard data on this?

I'm not looking for theory. Just looking for real numbers to try and troubleshoot a few issues I've been having with beers fermenting way too low.

I don't think you'll find much more than the general correlation in the 150-156 and the 156+ ranges. Too much of your gravity and attenuation will depend on at least your malts and yeast also to get some kind of proportional equation.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

CapnBry posted:

I use the piece of 1/4" racking cane with 3/8" tubing over it that goes down to a blowoff collector and airlock:

3/8" tubing as worked without a clog for me (up to 1.089 OG), but I've had the airlock with 1/2" tubing explode on me before. The opening on some of my airlocks has a little grate on them that clogs sometimes. Even the airlocks without those, the hole is kinda small. It is made to let gas out, not gunk. That's why I think the piece of blowoff tubing is fine. If you need it to fit in less space, just get one of those right angle hose barbs from the hardware store.

The collection vessel (which has been sanitized) I bought at the grocery store but it sucks because it isn't airtight. Not because :siren: contamination :siren: because that will never ever happen, even with your orange carboy cap. My collection vessel sucks because it doesn't make the airlock bubble as much as it could. I'm going to replace it with an empty PET peanut butter jar once I empty out all the peanut butter. Germs and stuff that are going to infect your beer have no chance of getting up around seals which aren't airtight. In order for that to happen you'd have to be getting a good amount of airflow flowing into the fermenter. That just doesn't happen.

Is that a probe thermometer stuck to the side with a piece of foam to hold it tight against the side(or it might be grommeted into the vessel)/protect it from the chill in the fridge screwing up the reading?

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Anyone have suggestions for a first extract lager recipe? My new minifridge can get down to 36 or so, so I'm looking to take the plunge.

Thinking about a vague conversion of an AG Old Style (shut up, I love Old Style) clone I've seen on the internet:

6 lbs Pilsner LME
3 lbs Rice Syrup (add @ 15)
1 oz BC Goldings @ 60
1.25 oz Saaz @ 15
Irish Moss
Yeast Nutrient

WLP840/WY2007/WY2272

Ferment at 53, d-rest at 60, lager at 40.

edit: that's first lager, not first batch. I've done 8 or so ale batches and will probably have another couple under my belt by the time I do this one.

I did http://beerrecipes.org/showrecipe.php?recipeid=976 as my first lager, and it turned out really well. I added 2lbs of DME instead of 4 cups, 2.5 cups dextrose as opposed to 2, and steeped grain for 1 hour 15 minutes...seemingly minor changes, but it came out as more of an "amber pilsner" if such a thing existed. I haven't done any lagers since then(probably about 4 years ago), since I haven't had the facilities, but this one has always stuck out as my favorite.

poo poo, looking back on my notes, it was actually 4 years ago this week...crazy...

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

ChickenArise posted:

I don't think you'll find much more than the general correlation in the 150-156 and the 156+ ranges. Too much of your gravity and attenuation will depend on at least your malts and yeast also to get some kind of proportional equation.

Yea, there are several variables to mashing, and the major role of temperature is it's effect on enzymes, both for how fast they work and for what temperature they denature at. The usual mash temp ranges given on recipes are for maximizing Beta-Amylase, Alpha-Amylase or a combination of both.

Here is the related page from How to Brew that gives the ranges with the following note:
"The above numbers were averaged from several sources and should be interpreted as typical optimum activity ranges. The enzymes will be active outside the indicated ranges but will be destroyed as the temperature increases above each range."
http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter14-1.html

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

CapnBry posted:

What's wrong with just sticking the other end of the tubing into a jar of sanitizer/vodka?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Has anyone ever done primary fermentation for a small batch in a corny? Would I have to rack to a serving keg or could I just push the yeast cake out through the dip tube?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

internet celebrity posted:

Has anyone ever done primary fermentation for a small batch in a corny? Would I have to rack to a serving keg or could I just push the yeast cake out through the dip tube?

I would think there would be a risk of clogging the dip tube or the post with yeast gunk and trub. You might consider trimming the out dip tube and pushing the clear beer off the cake, though.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Many of the online homebrew stores sell modified keg lids to let you throw a grommet/airlock/tubing through a hole in the lid. If you don't want to tinker with the gas/liquid posts and risk clogging, that's always an option. Or, if you're handy with metal drilling, DIY that poo poo.

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice
I made a BIAB with Wyeast 3787 a bit over a week ago. Everything went well and I hit my target OG of 1.065. I checked the gravity today and it was 1.005. I've never had a beer get down that low, so I'm trying to figure out what happened. My two main ideas are either a: the yeast is simply a monster or b: I added in way too much (table) sugar, at about 20% of the grain bill.

Any ideas?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

ieatsoap6 posted:

I made a BIAB with Wyeast 3787 a bit over a week ago. Everything went well and I hit my target OG of 1.065. I checked the gravity today and it was 1.005. I've never had a beer get down that low, so I'm trying to figure out what happened. My two main ideas are either a: the yeast is simply a monster or b: I added in way too much (table) sugar, at about 20% of the grain bill.

A few weeks ago I posted a picture of 3787 blowing a half gallon of beer onto my ceiling.

Hope that answers your question.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Virigoth posted:

Is that a probe thermometer stuck to the side with a piece of foam to hold it tight against the side
It is! A piece of rigid foam left over from another project that I cut a little part out of to fit the DS18B20 probe that links to the controller. One day I'm going to finish the wireless version, code is done hardware is not.

What's wrong with just sticking the other end of the tubing into a jar of sanitizer/vodka?
I don't like the idea of a jug of fluid sitting in the fermenter. I've knocked them over a couple of times so I decided to go all-air. Plus there's more room for blowoff. It costs about 2 grommets and a jar so it is super cheap and looks clean.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

ieatsoap6 posted:

Any ideas?

Agreeing, 3787 will reliably get low fast. Probably my favorite yeast.

I bottled a batch of mild today, and I noticed after the first few that something was wrong, the caps weren't really on tight. I guess the capping bell on my Red Baron has stretched out far enough to suck after only 5-6 batches with it. I had to run out and buy an even crappier black plastic wing capper to re-crimp every bottle, which isn't going to work long term because I had one of these things in the past and it broke bottles after a while. Does everyone go through bells at this rate? Replacements are cheap so I guess I'll order several spares.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
I'm in the middle of my brew day, and this is the first time I've ever used a pump. If you are on the fence about getting one, DO IT. This has been so much easier and so much cleaner than lifting and pouring kettles... Why did I wait so long?

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

fullroundaction posted:

A few weeks ago I posted a picture of 3787 blowing a half gallon of beer onto my ceiling.

Hope that answers your question.

Just chiming in on "it was the yeast" train. I lost 1/2 a gallon to blow off and popped the lid on a plastic bucket just last week to 3787. Granted it was nearly to the rim in a 6.5gal bucket, but still.

Luckily it was in my father-in-law's basement.

e:

RagingBoner posted:

I'm in the middle of my brew day, and this is the first time I've ever used a pump. If you are on the fence about getting one, DO IT. This has been so much easier and so much cleaner than lifting and pouring kettles... Why did I wait so long?

The idea of a pump for recirculating and sparging sounds amazing on their own.

Jacobey000 fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 9, 2013

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Myron Baloney posted:

Agreeing, 3787 will reliably get low fast. Probably my favorite yeast.

I bottled a batch of mild today, and I noticed after the first few that something was wrong, the caps weren't really on tight. I guess the capping bell on my Red Baron has stretched out far enough to suck after only 5-6 batches with it. I had to run out and buy an even crappier black plastic wing capper to re-crimp every bottle, which isn't going to work long term because I had one of these things in the past and it broke bottles after a while. Does everyone go through bells at this rate? Replacements are cheap so I guess I'll order several spares.

My Red Baron lasted over 10 batches, but the crappy black one I got last year(and just used for the first time on saturday) was already breaking bottles and trying to put caps on crooked halfway through its first batch. I'm going to be picking up a bench capper next paycheck...I'm hoping it'll be quicker and a little more idiot proof.

EnsignVix
Jul 11, 2006

I haven't tried it but bookmarked this video awhile ago as it is a pretty thorough step by step. I don't think he does anything special with the dip tubes and it seems pretty easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29F7QR6vT4U

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

RagingBoner posted:

What pump did you get?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Early thoughts on the IPA I brewed...Should not have had any hops that weren't bittering, flameout, or dry hop (or at least as much). Should have used a normal English Ale not Dry English Ale. And Moasic + Nelson Sauvin + Galaxy smells ridiculously good as a dry hop.

I already can't wait to rebrew this.

E: Recipe advice...
I am going to make a pretty simple beer to bring to my end of fall frisbee tournament. Based on the fact that another guy is bringing 2 other more malty beers I decided on some type of hopped wheat beer.
To add some complexity would mashing a bit of rye malt make sense? How else would you add a little bit something extra to an otherwise 6lb of Wheat DME + hop recipe?

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 9, 2013

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I think a bit of rye sounds delicious in that type of beer.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Myron Baloney posted:

I didn't know that was a thing that happened. I'm like, 20 batches in on my Red Baron.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Speaking of blowoff:

5.5 gallon batch in a 7 gallon bucket. I don't think I've ever heard machine gun fire that was that loud or rapid. This was a Kölsch that I made a 1 liter starter for. I guess you could say it was a "vigorous" fermentation.

Also, I think I might need another blowoff tube. The old one might have had a few holes ripped in it (not really). :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I read a forum post somewhere a long time ago where someone experimented with pressurized fermentation, as in they fermented in a corny and periodically let out some of the CO2, leaving a fully carbed beer, sitting in the keg, at the end of primary. Can't remember how well it worked, though.