Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Starhawk64 posted:

Honestly I have no problem with overpowered equipment. I find it baffling that there are people who don't enjoy being an overpowered god of destruction. :psyduck:

I don't really think most people are complaining about being an overpowered god of destruction. I mean, hey, you went through all that new content and now you can go around absolutely massacring whatever the game tries to throw at you now? Cool.

I think the issue most people feel with the endgame "broken" gear (Spectre/magic weapons and Turtle/Vampire Knives) is more that there isn't a lot of endgame stuff that's still a bit challenging with it on. I got super great gear that I got a lot of quite enjoyable gametime obtaining, most of it with other goons, but comparatively to 1.1 with those set ups there is little to no strategy to any of the hardmode biomes, events, or even bosses. With my Turtle and Vampire Knives I can solo Plantera, Golem, the Solar Eclipse, even the Hardmode Dungeon* with the spawn rate turned up to the absolute max and all the enemies buffed up in def and dmg all without particularly moving or using a healing pot (*the only exception being the mob with Inferno Fork, and even then only if I dont kill it as soon as I can).

Don't get me wrong, seeing wave after wave of mobs get mowed down is fun as hell, but I miss having some strategy to what I'm doing, or having to run around in a panic sometimes,, or, ya know, using some of the other really cool endgame content I got that just isnt as effective because it lacks healing (my scourge of the corruptor!), or having to work together with others to take down some big gently caress off boss. Hopefully the Moon will be this, but even so, I wouldnt mind seeing those two get nerfed some. If it doesn't, c'est la vie, the game is still fantastic as it is, but there is a point to people saying it should be besides generic whiny gamer poo poo .txt.

MooCowlian posted:

As far as I can tell, though, they sadly don't reforge to anything except the universal prefixes.

Godly is the best modifier for Vampire, same goes for Scourge of the Corruption and Golem Fist I think. Don't be like me and waste nearly 75 plat trying to get Legendary on these since they're "melee" weapons :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Yeah, I'd enjoy the Vampire Knives being broken as gently caress while you can because knowing Redigit, in the next patch they will be nerfed to hell.

I can take the golem, sit still not bothering to avoid anything, and just hold attack and it'll go down in under a minute. I don't think that was intentional, especially since you can (potentially) grab them pretty early in Hard Mode.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I noticed you can now make either a drill or a pickaxe and either an axe or chainsaw out of the hardmode ores. What's the difference? Incase you don't like drills or chainsaws i guess?

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

Starhawk64 posted:

I noticed you can now make either a drill or a pickaxe out of the hardmode ores. What's the difference? Incase you don't like drills I guess?

Basically.

It's either TIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIK or DRRDRRDRRDRRDRRDRRDRRDRR. :v:

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah, I'd enjoy the Vampire Knives being broken as gently caress while you can because knowing Redigit, in the next patch they will be nerfed to hell.

I can take the golem, sit still not bothering to avoid anything, and just hold attack and it'll go down in under a minute. I don't think that was intentional, especially since you can (potentially) grab them pretty early in Hard Mode.

You can cheese the poo poo out of golem regardless since it spawns in a closed room and barely any of its attacks pass through walls.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Starhawk64 posted:

I noticed you can now make either a drill or a pickaxe and either an axe or chainsaw out of the hardmode ores. What's the difference? Incase you don't like drills or chainsaws i guess?

Drills only do damage at the point they're drilling at. Picks have a swing arc in which they do damage.

But yeah otherwise it's just cosmetic/sound.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Logan 5 posted:

Godly is the best modifier for Vampire, same goes for Scourge of the Corruption and Golem Fist I think. Don't be like me and waste nearly 75 plat trying to get Legendary on these since they're "melee" weapons :downs:

Only 20 here :v:. I had just reforged my chlorophyte claymore, so I noticed pretty quickly I wasn't getting the same prefixes. Checked the wiki.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Trying to read this thread is confusing as a newbie... I feel like I should probably stop since boss stuff is sort of this game's spoilers, I guess?

On my end, I'm bummed that I got invested in a world that's only upw hen my friend is playing... sadly we don't have a dedicated. Guess I will ahve to start puttering around in my own little Small world.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Trying to read this thread is confusing as a newbie... I feel like I should probably stop since boss stuff is sort of this game's spoilers, I guess?

On my end, I'm bummed that I got invested in a world that's only upw hen my friend is playing... sadly we don't have a dedicated. Guess I will ahve to start puttering around in my own little Small world.

It's not so bad since your character persists regardless of the world you play it in. So you can start a new world and generally speed through to where you are in the other world relatively fast especially if you're still pre-hardmode. The only somewhat time-consuming stuff would be waiting for some NPCs that are kind of time-based (like the NPC that appears after the first goblin invasion).

I played with a bunch of friends up to and a little past hardmode, but eventually fell behind when I couldn't be around when they progressed. I started a new world and I'm basically ready for hardmode after one dedicated evening of stuff.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

President Ark posted:

I want the game to challenge me without having to arbitrarily limit myself.

That's fine the problem is you want the developers to actively make the game less fun for a group of people because you can't control yourself. With specter gear in the game you can still play the way you want and people who want to use the set can play the way they want. If it gets nerfed than the people who like to use it are actively out of fun. That doesn't seem very fair.

And while people are making it out to be trivial to get that's not my experience. Even with golden shower the dungeon is a dangerous place early in hardmode. The necromancers can shred you in seconds, and paladins and bone lees can wreck your poo poo before you even know they're there. I had to be pretty cautious and I still died a lot. And that was with having a couple of pieces of frost armor (not the full set) from using terrain to cheese some ice golems to death. I wonder how many people would risk it without significant preparations in hardcore mode.

The open progression is one of the things that makes me like the game so much, actually. You can scrape away forever making a copper set of gear then moving on to iron then to gold. You'll be safe but it's time consuming and maybe a bit dull. Or you can do like I did and bomb my way to a heart in the crimson to get a meteor then use dynamite to mine it to skip straight to higher-tier gear. It's risk versus reward. When I got to hardmode and found my nightmare pickaxe wouldn't work on cobalt that was fine because I had enough hellstone to make a pick. When I found it would only mine cobalt and the cobalt pick only gets the next tier of mineral I felt the game had jumped the shark. If I'd been forced into that stupid progression and not been able to skip to better stuff I would have just quit the game right there and moved on to something that was actually fun.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

No Safe Word posted:

Drills only do damage at the point they're drilling at. Picks have a swing arc in which they do damage.

Once you can get drills they are generally far superior to picks in terms of mining speed. I believe the only exception is the picksaw which is the best mining tool in the game.

E: Picksaw, not pickaxe. :downs:

Vatek fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 7, 2013

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Vatek posted:

Once you can get drills they are generally far superior to picks in terms of mining speed. I believe the only exception is the pickaxe which is the best mining tool in the game.

I'm pretty sure the hardmode picks actually mine at the exact same speed as their respective drill, despite clearly swinging much slower.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Vatek posted:

You can cheese the poo poo out of golem regardless since it spawns in a closed room and barely any of its attacks pass through walls.

Another easy cheat to him is just place a line of wood platforms low in the room so that he'll spawn above them. He won't be able to hit you with most of his attacks, just his ranged fists and lasers. There are some really easy ways to break this fight.

No Safe Word posted:

There's also the knockback. Drills have little if not none, whereas picks have some/a decent amount. Only useful in the early to mid game though really, when it can sometimes help keep mobs off you when you're digging. Chainsaws seem pretty useless now though, which kind of sucks cause I like the idea of them.

MooCowlian posted:

Only 20 here :v:. I had just reforged my chlorophyte claymore, so I noticed pretty quickly I wasn't getting the same prefixes. Checked the wiki.

Yeah, same, I learned my lesson after looking at a wiki (although a lot of info I go looking for specifically about 1.2 hasn't made it to them yet). It didnt help that some goon was a big jerk on mumble and told me that they had Legendary Vampire Knives. That's what I get for trusting goons!

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, I was trying to use spoiler tags when I posted for stuff since a lot of this game's fun can be from exploration and the joy of discovery, especially for people new or coming back to the game since launch. I stopped though cause nobody else seemed to be doing it, so read at your own risk!

There was a fantastic let's play not too long ago that a goon did in 1.1, it might be just what you're looking for in terms of tips and tricks as you go along since spoiler tags were enforced as he went.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Vatek posted:

Once you can get drills they are generally far superior to picks in terms of mining speed. I believe the only exception is the pickaxe which is the best mining tool in the game.

They're the same.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Logan 5 posted:

There's also the knockback. Drills have little if not none, whereas picks have some/a decent amount. Only useful in the early to mid game though really, when it can sometimes help keep mobs off you when you're digging. Chainsaws seem pretty useless now though, which kind of sucks cause I like the idea of them.

If you didn't mind range chainsaws do quite a bit of damage. I used one over pretty much any particular weapon in hardmode pre 1.2. Of course i'm not sure if that's the case anymore.

I also don't mind the spectre set, but I play solo. The bosses would just require more annoying prep than hitting B and going to town - like hollowing out an arena and linking a few helpful statues up to a pressure plate.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Read posted:

They're the same.

:psyduck:

I guess it's the animation that makes the hardmode pickaxes seem so much slower.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

How fast the pickaxes swing doesn't even come into play, as you can hold down the button and move your cursor around to rip out blocks just as fast as you can with an equal-quality drill.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Oh hey, two pieces of Ancient Shadow Armor just dropped while I was spelunking for Shadow Orbs.

Do I need the third piece to be Ancient, or will a crafted one give me a set bonus?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
My point of view regarding picks vs. drills is gently caress drills. They sit in place and cover up blocks adjacent to your character as you're trying to mine them and it's a major pain in the rear end.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Oh hey, two pieces of Ancient Shadow Armor just dropped while I was spelunking for Shadow Orbs.

Do I need the third piece to be Ancient, or will a crafted one give me a set bonus?

Ancient simply means that it is using the pre 1.1 graphics. Ancient cobalt armor and ancient shadow armor mix with the regular crafted versions, give the set bonus and are identical stat-wise. Just aesthetics that change.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I don't know about the set bonus but I think the ancient sets just have the old graphics for armor that had their looks changed but are otherwise the same. Logically it should work with crafted stuff but I don't know for sure.

Edit: beaten with more certainty :)

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Vatek posted:

I think that changed in 1.2. I know the common complaint about drills was that they sounded annoying as gently caress when being used and there's now a choice that I think is just cosmetic/sound-related.

Also, my two cents on this nerfing chat: There are lots of different ways to play this game and some people like to just sit and build fun poo poo without worrying about base defense or challenging combat. Staying in easy-mode was a pretty good option for these players in 1.1, but I don't think that works anymore.

From what I remember of 1.1 hardmode, there wasn't much incentive for people who just wanted to be builders to advance to that point unless they really wanted Hallow-related bricks. Now there's other cool poo poo present in 1.2 hardmode that appeals to builders, even if it's just the stuff from the NPCs like the Teleporters from the Steampunker or the Water Fountains from the Witch Doctor. Not to mention a whole temple full of fun statues, traps, and a unique-looking brick type.

I don't see a way to not piss off the pure-builder types and keep the people who enjoy combat and don't want to self-limit themselves happy as well. No matter what, somebody's going to get pissed off because their play-style is no longer supported.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Is there like a checklist of things to do/get before starting hardmode? Can you still find low level ores like iron/lead? Can you still summon non-hardmode bosses? Can you still farm for stuff in the jungle and on that note, does cobalt armor not drop anymore? I haven't really played since launch and whoa is there a lot of new stuff.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

voltron lion force posted:

Is there like a checklist of things to do/get before starting hardmode? Can you still find low level ores like iron/lead? Can you still summon non-hardmode bosses? Can you still farm for stuff in the jungle and on that note, does cobalt armor not drop anymore? I haven't really played since launch and whoa is there a lot of new stuff.

Unless a biome gets completely eaten by the Hallow/Corruption/Crimson, you can access everything from normal mode after starting hardmode.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

You should have the following:
-400 hp
-molten pickaxe
-molten armor
-good ranged weaponry

Research how corruption/hallow/crimson spreads because it becomes much more aggressive in hard mode and if you aren't prepared for it your base will be corrupted and you'll lose all your NPCs. Floating fortresses or bases built on sky islands are the safest option, if you have a base on ground level or underground you will need to do a considerable amount of terraforming to secure it.

You can still get low level ores and all the non-hardmode bosses that aren't one-time deals (skeletron) can still be summoned.

Jungle drops will change, you can still find spores but vines and stingers will not drop. Pretty sure the cobalt set won't drop in hard mode either since all the jungle NPCs change but if you're doing hard mode obtaining that quality of armor should be the least of your worries.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 7, 2013

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Vatek posted:

You can still get low level ores and all the non-hardmode bosses that aren't one-time deals (skeletron) can still be summoned.

You can summon Skeletron now too. I don't know what drops them but there are Clothier voodoo dolls, if he dies while you have one equipped Skeletron pops out.

And yeah if there's stuff you still want in the underground jungle, get it now. I think everything will still drop, but the hardmode jungle enemies will knock your head clean off if you go in there still wearing molten gear or worse.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Vatek posted:

Skeletron can be resummoned in 1.2.

In the dungeon, one of the mobs (dark caster?) drops a clothier doll. Equip it and then kill the clothier with lava or something.

Spacemarine9
Feb 24, 2013
I learned a startling fact about Egypt. They built pyramids right next to each other and also way up in the sky, and they put houses on top of them.

There were three pyramids, all a short walk away from each other, all towering high in the sky. And they all had floating islands at the very tip, too. It was weird.
I got two magic carpets and a Pharaoh set. I wanted a sandstorm in a bottle! :argh:

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Do the Destroyer, Skeletron Prime, or Twins still randomly spawn after you've beaten them? I'm merely curious. I know once you beat the Eye of Cthulhu it no longer randomly spawns.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

shymog posted:

I don't see a way to not piss off the pure-builder types and keep the people who enjoy combat and don't want to self-limit themselves happy as well. No matter what, somebody's going to get pissed off because their play-style is no longer supported.

Yeah, somebody is always going to be unhappy, and I can see why some people would lament their fall from nigh-godliness, but if those get nerfed and people complain about it mostly because they can't build I'll be really loving miffed. What exactly are they doing, trying to build bases in the hardmode dungeon while alternating holding a water candle?

In order: Not really, there are some terraforming things you can do if you feel like it, but they aren't exactly necessary, just try to have a base that doesn't let mobs in easily (and it isnt like making a new non-hardmode world is difficult if need be). Yes, everything is still there. Yes, there are items for those bosses, and a special way to summon the dungeon boss, Skeletron, look it up on a wiki if you want to know since its a bit tricky. You can still farm pretty much everything in the jungle, but the underground jungle is going to be tough at first now. Cobalt armor isn't a drop afaik, you crafted it from bars made from ore, although there is a chance now that your world will have a replacement for cobalt and/or the higher tiers that actually has slightly higher stats, so that might be why you're not seeing it (the cobalt replacement is called palladium and looks orange-y if you cant find it)

e; kinda beaten on some stuff

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 7, 2013

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Spacemarine9 posted:

I learned a startling fact about Egypt. They built pyramids right next to each other and also way up in the sky, and they put houses on top of them.

There were three pyramids, all a short walk away from each other, all towering high in the sky. And they all had floating islands at the very tip, too. It was weird.
I got two magic carpets and a Pharaoh set. I wanted a sandstorm in a bottle! :argh:

Goa'Uld invasion confirmed for next content patch?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Logan 5 posted:

Cobalt armor isn't a drop afaik,

The underground jungle enemies will drop pieces of the ancient cobalt armor, aka the set that became jungle armor. It functions exactly the same as the jungle armor and you can mix and match pieces of both to get the set bonus, just like the other ancient armors. But also it looks kinda stupid and it's a lot easier to just make the actual jungle armor, so.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Spacemarine9 posted:

Oh you son of a bitch. These are some of the few things I haven't obtained yet outside of some other super-low drop rate things. I've probably generated 20-30 worlds now specifically just for pyramids and haven't seen one.

Also I just read that the max wire length is now more like 2000 ft than the 1000 ft it was in 1.1. I don't know if 2000 is the max now, but I can confirm that teleporters do work at distances of a good amount over 1000 ft :D

LAY-ZX posted:

The underground jungle enemies will drop pieces of the ancient cobalt armor, aka the set that became jungle armor. It functions exactly the same as the jungle armor and you can mix and match pieces of both to get the set bonus, just like the other ancient armors. But also it looks kinda stupid and it's a lot easier to just make the actual jungle armor, so.

Ah right, forgot about this. By the time I noticed one of these drops I was above that level already so I just sold it probably. Although judging from voltron lion force saying he hasn't played much since launch abouts I doubt he knew this tidbit. Regardless, he's going to get swamped with info now!

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 7, 2013

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
They should add radio transmitters as a replacement for wires. The things I could accomplish with those... :allears:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Thanks all for the hardmode info.

Vatek posted:

Research how corruption/hallow/crimson spreads because it becomes much more aggressive in hard mode and if you aren't prepared for it your base will be corrupted and you'll lose all your NPCs. Floating fortresses or bases built on sky islands are the safest option, if you have a base on ground level or underground you will need to do a considerable amount of terraforming to secure it.

Regarding this, my base is partially underground, is it enough to just wrap it up in one of the materials that can't be corrupted or do I need to dig out the 3 tile space all around? And if I make a 3 tile gap, do I have to knock out the walls too?

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Solar eclipse trip report: one Platinum sixty six gold, four broken hero blades, corruption key, death scythe, three bat wings and a moonstone. Next time I will use a battle potion, oh yes.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
When it comes to multiplayer, man, this game would have been so much better with optional serverside characters and more intelligent worldgen (all biomes present and distinct at creation, no hardmode loving up everything)

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Thanks all for the hardmode info.

Regarding this, my base is partially underground, is it enough to just wrap it up in one of the materials that can't be corrupted or do I need to dig out the 3 tile space all around? And if I make a 3 tile gap, do I have to knock out the walls too?

I did a 4-tile thick wall made of bricks to be safe. NPCs will leave if there is too much corruption/crimson too close to their housing so you'll need to be fairly aggressive and build the wall a good distance from your base. I built mine about 75 squares away on all sides (mostly aboveground base so it ended up being a u-shape. A completely underground base would need to be completely enclosed with airlocks for access.)

Vatek fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 7, 2013

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Honestly I let hallow grow all over the place, corruption is the real threat in hard mode. It's not like any hallow enemies can just get inside your home, but there are a few corruption enemies that can pass straight through walls and *accidentally* kill NPCs with their crazy high damage.

The best way to control corruption is to plant Hallow seeds (sold by the fairy lady) on the coasts of corrupted segments, they cancel eachother out and now you have more pretty rainbows and poo poo! (Note: Do this pretty much at the start of hard mode or corruption really does get out of hand)

Hallow caves also have really cool music and materials for much needed upgrades.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

King Doom posted:

Solar eclipse trip report: one Platinum sixty six gold, four broken hero blades, corruption key, death scythe, three bat wings and a moonstone. Next time I will use a battle potion, oh yes.

Four broken hero blades? gently caress you. So much. A friend and I went through three eclipses and found two blades, both in the last eclipse. Then it was decided the Terra Blade wasn't worth having, and I got vampire knives while he is running around with chlorophyte stuff.

• Locked thread