Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kenning posted:

Mustard-based bbq sauces are way loving better than tomato-based 99% of the time though, you should just do that.

Burn this heretic.

(We have this argument all the time in the college football threads. Tailgating brings out strong opinions about regional BBQ varieties it seems)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Kenning posted:

Mustard-based bbq sauces are way loving better than tomato-based 99% of the time though, you should just do that.

Seriously, nothing like a Carolina mustard sauce on some dry-rubbed ribs. God I'm hungry now.

So I was wondering if anyone could suggest what brand of fish sauce to get? "Taste of Thai" seemed like it might not be incredibly authentic.

Also, I know there's a thicker, darker sort of soy sauce that one is supposed to use in sauces, but I can neither recall the name nor find it in my local Wegmans. Is this the sort of thing I'd have to look for in a specialty Asian goods store?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Seriously, nothing like a Carolina mustard sauce on some dry-rubbed ribs. God I'm hungry now.

So I was wondering if anyone could suggest what brand of fish sauce to get? "Taste of Thai" seemed like it might not be incredibly authentic.

Also, I know there's a thicker, darker sort of soy sauce that one is supposed to use in sauces, but I can neither recall the name nor find it in my local Wegmans. Is this the sort of thing I'd have to look for in a specialty Asian goods store?

Red boat or squid brand are good fish sauces. The former is more expensive than the latter and is "fancier"

I like pearl river bridge dark soy. You can find it at Asian markets. I can almost guarantee that any soy you get at a conventional supermarket in the west is poo poo.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I can honestly admit I've never had a "good" soy sauce. Basically just whatever variety of Kikkoman is paraded around the table at sushi restaurants of all qualities. What, aside from the salty and umami punch, should good soy sauce taste like?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Pearl river Bridge is good, as is one of the Kimlan soys sauces I've tried. Unfortunately, there's about 15 varieties of the Kimlan and I've yet to find the right one again.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
There's a place in Sparks that's making soy sauce for at least the local market. Japanese style, really good. I haven't seen it anywhere else though and they don't even have a website as far as I've been able to tell. Really good stuff, though.

Otherwise I usually just buy Yamasa.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

this thai blog did a taste test of fish sauces:

http://shesimmers.com/2012/07/thai-fish-sauce-taste-test.html

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Mr. Wiggles posted:

There's a place in Sparks that's making soy sauce for at least the local market. Japanese style, really good. I haven't seen it anywhere else though and they don't even have a website as far as I've been able to tell. Really good stuff, though.

Otherwise I usually just buy Yamasa.

What's the brand?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Sumi.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Without a thermometer, what's the best way to tell when turkey is done? I'm making turkey/chorizo burgers tonight and I wanna make sure I don't die.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Capsaicin posted:

Without a thermometer, what's the best way to tell when turkey is done? I'm making turkey/chorizo burgers tonight and I wanna make sure I don't die.

Every time you flip the burger, press on it hard with a spatula. When you get to the point where no more clear "bacteria juice" comes out after pressing it, it's done.

(the answer is to get a thermometer)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Capsaicin posted:

It should shrink a little, maybe...10 or 15 percent by the time it's ready to eat. Umm... Take a throwaway same-size patty (one that you'll eat, i.e not serve to others) and cut it open when you think it may be ready, and gauge the remaining time accordingly.

You could also poke it and see if the juices run clear as opposed to pink or red, I guess (this is more an old wives tale rather than anything worthwhile, I would think, safety-wise).

Bear in mind, eyeing poo poo when you've no point of reference is pretty risky behavior. Get a thermometer.

edit: VVV - I've never understood the pad to thumb trick. My dad has softer hands than I do :human being::respek::gay:, and my friends all have different pad toughnesses, too. I think this trick might only work if you've empirically double checked with a thermometer beforehand. It's rather useless to tell someone who's never done it before.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 7, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Capsaicin posted:

You can tell by touch using the old finger-to-thumb trick. I would pull at about medium well, cover with foil, and let it rest up to well, otherwise they will just be meatpucks. This is assuming your turkey is pretty reputably sourced, otherwise, cook it to death.

You could ghetto sous vide them at like, 150 or so, for an hour or so. Then sear them off.

also yeah get a thermometer.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 7, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't even know whatthefuck, but can I use ghee instead of butter for cookies? I want to make cookies and have a whole jar of clarified butter but no actual normal butter. I don't want to go to the store tonight. Would I need to substitute anything else as a result?

Good idea or terrible idea?

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Drifter posted:

I don't even know whatthefuck, but can I use ghee instead of butter for cookies? I want to make cookies and have a whole jar of clarified butter but no actual normal butter. I don't want to go to the store tonight. Would I need to substitute anything else as a result?

Weedbutter is pretty much ghee, sooooo

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Drifter posted:

It's a fine idea. Butter has a little water in it so you might have to adjust a bit but it should work fine.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Most cookie recipes are stable enough that you can pretty much swap the fat for almost any other fat with only minor adjustments. Or even sub in applesauce. It changes the texture of the final product, but the cookies don't explode or anything :)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Can any of you molecular gastrochemists show me how to make exploding cookies?

I want that to be a thing.

Thanks guys. I also went and added a dribble of Almond extract to help balance the nuttiness of the ghee. so far the cookie dough tastes just fine. I can tell it's different, but it seems good to taste. Feels good to be a gangster. :dukedog:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 8, 2013

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Drifter posted:

Can any of you molecular gastrochemists show me how to make exploding cookies?

I want that to be a thing.

Thanks guys. I also went and added a dribble of Almond extract to help balance the nuttiness of the ghee. so far the cookie dough tastes just fine. I can tell it's different, but it seems good to taste. Feels good to be a gangster. :dukedog:

Exlax chocolate chips.

I guess that's a different kind of explosion.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

I just moved near a big market that sells fresh fish and now want to learn how to cook that, but I've got no clue where to start. In my head I'm picturing some white fish, panfried in butter, with lemon and capers. Another fish I'd like steamed and top with soy sauce, ginger and scallion. Which types of fish should I be looking for (I'm in Australia)? Do I generally have to learn how to clean and fillet them?

EDIT: Oops, I just answered my own question! Found a neat little cookbook promoting sustainable fish in Australia, and it's apparently "give a fork" week now, cute. :)

plasmoduck fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 8, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

The Midniter posted:

I can honestly admit I've never had a "good" soy sauce. Basically just whatever variety of Kikkoman is paraded around the table at sushi restaurants of all qualities. What, aside from the salty and umami punch, should good soy sauce taste like?

It has body. Cheaper soy sauces are watery thin salt bombs that often have an 'off' flavour to me, like some chemical flavour, They taste more salty and bitter than good sauces. Decent soy sauces are thicker and have some body and depth of flavour, not unlike a less salty promite/vegemite/marmite.

I have Kikkoman tamari for nori/sushi/rolls and plain rice, ie a condiment

For cooking I have pearl river bridge "Mushroom flavoured dark soy sauce", and superior golden label light soy sauce.

For fish sauce, tra chang gold label 2 yr aged (I've tried 1 year aged plain red label an it's no where near as nice even though it's way cheaper and comes in larger bottles)

For kecap manis, I just used ABC brand.

For Thai black soy I use healthy boy brand.

All these have to be bought from a asian food specialty store here in Perth, Australia though. They are all only about $3 a bottle, so they're cheap.

edit: VVVV I've never been able to find any Indonesian sauce brands here. Might have to go looking at specialty shops near universities or something.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 8, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Fo3 posted:

For kecap manis, I just used ABC brand.

My favourite brand of kecap manis is Kaki Tiga:

I'm not sure how available it is.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Fo3 posted:

good stuff

Thank you for the comprehensive answer. Your comment about it having "body" makes sense and also answers a question I had - in Jiro Dreams of Sushi, he would brush each piece of nigiri with what I thought was soy sauce, but in my mind it was much too thick for soy sauce as it created a sort of glaze on the fish. The soy sauce I'm used to would be watery and just run right off.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

The Midniter posted:

Thank you for the comprehensive answer. Your comment about it having "body" makes sense and also answers a question I had - in Jiro Dreams of Sushi, he would brush each piece of nigiri with what I thought was soy sauce, but in my mind it was much too thick for soy sauce as it created a sort of glaze on the fish. The soy sauce I'm used to would be watery and just run right off.

I wondered what that was. I thought Jiro's sauce was reduced or thickened in some way, or something else entirely, like a dark sesame oil or something that would cling and give it that sheen.

I guess I never had good soy sauce, either, then.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Science & Cooking: From Haute Cuisine to Soft Matter Science, a free Harvard edx course, starts today!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Ehhh, no. Thanks anyway.

The dish you linked is a common one that they regularly serve at the buffet. Come on man, give me a little more credit then that; the woman and I are VERY good at reverse engineering restaurant meals and making our own versions at home. We are 99% sure on the yellow mustard, and maybe 75% sure on the oregano. Could have been some other herb, I guess.

This place does "Hyderabadi" cuisine, but they also do some chinese/thai/indian fusion dishes, including a lovely chili paneer dish that reminds me a bit of General Zho's chicken. The dish in question is probably some kind of Indian riff on a Chinese dish.

So what you're saying is that there is this sauce with things in it, but it isn't Indian, or anything else that I'd have a frame of reference, and also I've never tasted it, and also no other restaurant makes that thing, but through some voodoo, I'm supposed to figure out what the heck it is.

XD

Yeah, I'm as lost as you are, papi.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

The Midniter posted:

Even a good soy sauce is still thin enough to run off a piece of fish. Some dark or black soy sauces are pretty thick, and some pre-prepared/ mixed sauces are really thick due to added molasses or caramel.
But even then I'd not expect a chef to be using something straight out of a bottle. The stuff I'd use for sushi would be the tamari anyway, not a thick Thai, Indonesian or Chinese dark style soy sauce, and tamari is not a thick sauce.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 8, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Ever since listening to David Chang talk about MSG I've been trying to cook more with MSG. I've read some recipes using salt and MSG like:

2 tsp of salt
pinch or 1/2tsp of MSG

What are people's thoughts on using 2 tsp of MSG instead of salt? MSG is pretty much a salt according to David Chang so would it taste bad if I just subbed salt for MSG?

Edit : I'm cooking Asian dishes.

Dr. Video Games 0089 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 8, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
MSG has 1/3 the sodium of salt.

MSG 12% sodium, salt is 39% sodium.

I'd use a mix of both, but take extra care to taste your food while seasoning it.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 8, 2013

Foxrunsecurity
Aug 10, 2008
MSG and table salt have very different flavors, I'd say cut back on the salt a bit if you need to but you can't just replace one with the other and expect the same taste.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
i usually use 4:1 salt:msg. your food is going to taste weird if you use no salt and all msg.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

That and MSG can only do so much. There's a point where it's superfluous and... maybe it's just me, but when I was new with it and really heaped it on like that (couple of teaspoons instead of a few pinches), I found it gave food this weird... cloying-metallic sort of after-taste that was unpleasant.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Are there any temperature probes that can stand high temperatures? What's the best probe out there? I know those instant-read flip-thermometers are good for steaks and poo poo, but I need a new a probe for another carefree, perfectly bronzed and moist thanksgiving turkey, awing the inlaws one more time with my lack of basting or absurd plastic turkey bag.

My other probe stopped working after a few uses.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I have an older version of this one that's held up pretty well. The wire leading into the probe is really tough - I ruined two previous probes when the wire actually pulled out of the probe. Plus it broadcasts the temperature to the handset wirelessly, so you can leave the probe end next to the oven or grill or whatever, and take the receiver into another room.

The only downside to that one is that it doesn't let you program the actual desired temperature in. Instead, it has a mode for each of several meats, and "taste" settings for each. So for beef, you've got rare, mid-rare, etc. and it decides what that temperature is. That's been frustrating with cooking stuff in the smoker, for example, where I want a very high final temperature.

Hopefully somebody has an even better one, since I wouldn't mind upgrading either.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've had this one for over 4 years no broken probes and no problems whatsoever.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/alarm/oven_temp_timer.html

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

BraveUlysses posted:

I've had this one for over 4 years no broken probes and no problems whatsoever.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/alarm/oven_temp_timer.html

I've had this for a few months, and like Razorbunny says the pre-set alarm settings are very annoying, but it's calibrated fine and works well.

Done pulled beef and used it as a generate oven/bbq probe.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jamsta posted:

I've had this for a few months, and like Razorbunny says the pre-set alarm settings are very annoying, but it's calibrated fine and works well.

Done pulled beef and used it as a generate oven/bbq probe.

The thermoworks one doesn't do prealarms or anything. You just set the temp and thats where it beeps.

Also, the thermoworks would be my rec as well.

plaguedoctor
Jun 26, 2008

I CAN DUMP MY GIRLFRIEND CAUSE SHE'S LIKE A WHORE, RIGHT GUYS? RIGHT???

jkk posted:

I've tried storing them in the fridge, or in a bowl or bag on the counter. Red onions always seem to spoil faster than other alliums.

From a few pages back, but:
I'm not sure about onions, but don't store garlic in the fridge.
Cold actually *activates* the growth mechanism in garlic, and by storing it in the refigerator, you are causing it to start it's budding cycle. Seriously -- you are supposed to plant garlic just before the first frost, and then it grows underground until spring, at which point it then sprouts up through the ground. I highly recommend it for garlic scapes, though.

So yeah, keep it in a semi-warmish (not enough to cause rot) dry place.

Question time:
It's October and I want to make some pumpkin stuff. I don't have access to canned Libby's pumpkin puree, so how do I go about making my own?
Specifically, what exactly is a "baking pumpkin"? And how is that different from squash?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Every couple weeks I make a large batch of simple tomato sauce. My recipe is as follows:

106 oz can of San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes
Two large onions, peeled and halved
Around 24 cloves of garlic
Fish sauce
Anchovies

For the purpose of health I do not add any fat in the way of olive oil. I used to, then I tried it without, and the flavor difference was so minor it didn't make sense to continue adding it.

I combine ingredients in a large pot and simmer it for 45 minutes. I then use my stick blender and blend the hell out of it so it's nice and smooth. It's a very tasty sauce, but I was eating it over pasta for lunch yesterday and realized it could use something...maybe more acid? Spices? I'm just looking for some suggestions to punch it up a bit as I've been making it this way for a long time and I'm starting to tire of it a little bit. I make a big bunch of pasta with chicken, broccoli, and mushrooms and that's what I bring for lunch every day to work so it'd be nice to have a little variation now and again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Kalamata olives?
Chillies?
Do a soffritto/mirepoix with carrot and celery?
Basil? Oregano? Parsley?
Lemon? Or red wine vinegar?

A smaller can of tomatoes? 106oz is pretty huge... ;)