Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Bobnumerotres posted:

Honestly I let hallow grow all over the place, corruption is the real threat in hard mode. It's not like any hallow enemies can just get inside your home, but there are a few corruption enemies that can pass straight through walls and *accidentally* kill NPCs with their crazy high damage.

The best way to control corruption is to plant Hallow seeds (sold by the fairy lady) on the coasts of corrupted segments, they cancel eachother out and now you have more pretty rainbows and poo poo!

Hallow caves also have really cool music and materials for much needed upgrades.

This will stop the corrupt grass on the surface but it will continue to spread underground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Does this game Steam Cloud save your character? I assume worlds would be asking too much, but can I at least get my character on my laptop too?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
It's impossible to lose any biome to Corruption or Hallow anymore with the introduction of the almighty Clentaminator. I haven't actually played with Crimson yet but I assume it gets annihilated by it, too.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Fuzz posted:

Does this game Steam Cloud save your character? I assume worlds would be asking too much, but can I at least get my character on my laptop too?

Nope, no steam cloud support. :smith:

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

voltron lion force posted:

Thanks all for the hardmode info.

Regarding this, my base is partially underground, is it enough to just wrap it up in one of the materials that can't be corrupted or do I need to dig out the 3 tile space all around? And if I make a 3 tile gap, do I have to knock out the walls too?

If you plan on keeping the world you have as your permanent base of operations you should probably do some terraforming, yes. It isn't necessary to do it pre-hardmode, you'll still have some time post-WoF, but its is easier since you don't have to deal with any new mobs and you'll have plenty of time.

You have a few options. If you don't have any naturally occurring blocks in your base (dirt, stone, etc.) just wrapping your base in most player-made bricks will prevent it from seeping in, since it can jump 3 blocks away. Ideally you should have a gap of at least 3 blocks and one layer of player-made blocks just to be on the safe side.

However you might want to make the border around your base to span a greater area than just your base, especially horizontally. This accomplishes 2 things; it keeps more of the original biome intact, and more importantly will keep the new mobs from spawning close to your base and potentially coming after you just outside the door (or worse, getting in very easily in trying to get to you). The downside is this takes a bit of time, less so if you have some kind of explosives however (loads of sticky bombs can be useful for this).

The Crimson/Corruption/Hallow will always spawn in a giant V shape with the middle surface of the map being at the top of it, so assuming that's where you build you'll get something like this (excuse the lovely hasty paint example):

If you build a barrier a little aways from your base like that (but not too far, you dont want to accidently include the V in your barriered area, plus you'll want to be able to get to the biomes a bit easily for their drops at some point), you should be golden. You also might want to consider towers extending it upwards into the sky if you have corruption too, there is a monster that spits gobs that insta-spread it, and you don't want all your hard work to be for nothing.(ignore this, apparently it changed in 1.2 and I didnt notice!) Hope that helps!

e:Also note that if you have a hellevator you're going to be passing through at least one if not both of these biomes underground, just fyi.

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 7, 2013

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Vatek posted:

This will stop the corrupt grass on the surface but it will continue to spread underground.

The planted grass spreads like the rest of the hallow if i recall right, including underground. But you're working at a disadvantage from the smaller amount of affected bricks at the start. I spread it to both sides of my base on hardmode since I don't have any trouble or problem with hallow critters and my underground is now pearlstone and hallow critters.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 7, 2013

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Corruptors don't create corruption with their spit attacks anymore.

Sloober posted:

The planted grass spreads like the rest of the hallow if i recall right, including underground.

It does but if your base is close to a deep corruption biome it's going to spread faster underground than a newly planted hallow biome at the surface will contain it.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Vatek posted:

What? Thank god. Now I might actually take the time to redo my big fuckoff obsidian brick U-shaped-encased abode.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Vatek posted:

Hot drat, I didn't notice, was way more focused on the new Crimson. Thanks!

Also voltron outside of making that barrier dont worry too much about the spread. Late game there is a way now to pretty much mass terraform biomes if you so choose. And by that point you might be grinding the enemies into dust at your feet anyway!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Hardmode biome concerns are mostly overblown. You can secure your base fairly easily even in the corruption and most importantly who cares if your npcs die? They will respawn with in a like 5 minutes.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Powercrazy posted:

Hardmode biome concerns are mostly overblown. You can secure your base fairly easily even in the corruption and most importantly who cares if your npcs die? They will respawn with in a like 5 minutes.

The concern is not that they die, the concern is that if your housing gets corrupted they will move out and not come back until you've purified a sufficient area or built a new base in a non-corrupted area.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Vatek posted:

Nope, no steam cloud support. :smith:

Well that sucks. Saves me a download, unless there's a way to copy characters back and forth?

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Logan 5 posted:

If you plan on keeping the world you have as your permanent base of operations you should probably do some terraforming, yes. It isn't necessary to do it pre-hardmode, you'll still have some time post-WoF, but its is easier since you don't have to deal with any new mobs and you'll have plenty of time.

You have a few options. If you don't have any naturally occurring blocks in your base (dirt, stone, etc.) just wrapping your base in most player-made bricks will prevent it from seeping in, since it can jump 3 blocks away. Ideally you should have a gap of at least 3 blocks and one layer of player-made blocks just to be on the safe side.

However you might want to make the border around your base to span a greater area than just your base, especially horizontally. This accomplishes 2 things; it keeps more of the original biome intact, and more importantly will keep the new mobs from spawning close to your base and potentially coming after you just outside the door (or worse, getting in very easily in trying to get to you). The downside is this takes a bit of time, less so if you have some kind of explosives however (loads of sticky bombs can be useful for this).

The Crimson/Corruption/Hallow will always spawn in a giant V shape with the middle surface of the map being at the top of it, so assuming that's where you build you'll get something like this (excuse the lovely hasty paint example):

If you build a barrier a little aways from your base like that (but not too far, you dont want to accidently include the V in your barriered area, plus you'll want to be able to get to the biomes a bit easily for their drops at some point), you should be golden. You also might want to consider towers extending it upwards into the sky if you have corruption too, there is a monster that spits gobs that insta-spread it, and you don't want all your hard work to be for nothing.(ignore this, apparently it changed in 1.2 and I didnt notice!) Hope that helps!

e:Also note that if you have a hellevator you're going to be passing through at least one if not both of these biomes underground, just fyi.

Adding to this, here's a link to the Containing the Hallow/Corruption entry in the Terraria Wiki.

This is an example from the wiki. I am in the process of doing this as we speak, I'm maybe 75% finished. I had the corruption already contained in Normal Mode. I am currently working on ensuring the area around my base is secure. :magical:

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Fuzz posted:

Well that sucks. Saves me a download, unless there's a way to copy characters back and forth?

I'm not sure exactly where it stores character/world data but this would be totally doable with a USB key.

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010

Vatek posted:

I'm not sure exactly where it stores character/world data but this would be totally doable with a USB key.

Or Dropbox! :eng101:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vatek posted:

My Documents\My Games\Terraria, by default.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Fuzz posted:

It might be cumbersome, but it's totally possible to just copy the character files over into the new computer. They should be in documents\mygames\terraria by default. You can do the same with worlds too. I definitely went and pilfered a few neat accessories from the old laptop when everyone on my server pilfered from the floating islands before I got there. I am not nearly good enough to catch my double jumps/wings/jetpack before I hit the ground, so the horseshoe was entirely necessary.

edit: very beaten

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

MooCowlian posted:

Four broken hero blades? gently caress you. So much. A friend and I went through three eclipses and found two blades, both in the last eclipse. Then it was decided the Terra Blade wasn't worth having, and I got vampire knives while he is running around with chlorophyte stuff.

Terra Blade is not worth it. It's better to get a Legendary Cutlass, it has autoswing and that to my is far more important.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

benzine posted:

Terra Blade is not worth it. It's better to get a Legendary Cutlass, it has autoswing and that to my is far more important.

I haven't tried it yet, but does that autohotkey script somebody nicely posted a few pages back make it worth using at all? Cause gently caress all that clicking. But it kinda sucks going through all that to craft it and then bleh, it just rots in a chest.

For some reason I've decided to actually build a world with a big base instead of my 1.1 bare-bones functional as-I-needed-storage home base. I've gotten really ridiculous and decided my steampunker is going to live in a giant cog thing:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I doubt I'd ever use it, but I can't resist having shiny weapons and stuff (why am I grinding for other keys, I will never use anything except my vampire knives every again). If nothing else, I'd like to farm the eclipse purely because it was one of the few things which caused me problems pre-knives and I want to see how it is now.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Robzilla posted:

Can you make it so hitting F12 toggle the resize + deborder? This is a great script otherwise.

VVV They spawn in the Hollowed biome while raining I believe.

Here's a version which does this:

code:
F12::
if (toggle)
{
    WinGet, WindowID, ID, A
    WinSet, Style, +0xC40000, ahk_id %WindowID%
    WinMove, ahk_id %WindowID%, , 50, 30, 1280, 720
    toggle := False
}
else
{
    WinGet, WindowID, ID, A
    WinSet, Style, -0xC40000, ahk_id %WindowID%
    WinMove, ahk_id %WindowID%, , 0, 0, A_ScreenWidth, A_ScreenHeight
    toggle := True
}
return

XButton1::
    While GetKeyState("XButton1", "P")
    {
        Click
        Sleep 10
    }
return
You can set the 50, 30, 1280, 720 to whatever, it's the X/Y of the top left and the window width/height. Also here's all the valid keys AHK uses if you want to rebind stuff: http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/KeyList.htm

Edit: also these modifiers http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Hotkeys.htm

Syenite fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 7, 2013

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

So wait why do people even care about "containing" the hard mode biomes? Your NPCs suppress enemy spawns, all you'll ever see as long as you're near them are bunnies. The only times that doesn't happen are eclipses, which spawn the same enemies regardless, and blood moons, which you should have a way of securing your house against anyway. In fact living in a Hallowed biome is probably BETTER than the default because on a blood moon the Wraiths that actually go through walls will be replaced by more Gastropods who will spend all night rubbing their face against the outside of your house.

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

Would any know if living wood fall under the same rules as regular wood? I'm getting ready for hard mode and I want to see if using living wood would be immune to the corruption/hallow.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

LAY-ZX posted:

So wait why do people even care about "containing" the hard mode biomes? Your NPCs suppress enemy spawns, all you'll ever see as long as you're near them are bunnies. The only times that doesn't happen are eclipses, which spawn the same enemies regardless, and blood moons, which you should have a way of securing your house against anyway. In fact living in a Hallowed biome is probably BETTER than the default because on a blood moon the Wraiths that actually go through walls will be replaced by more Gastropods who will spend all night rubbing their face against the outside of your house.

If your NPCs get killed they won't respawn if their home is corrupted, since corruption (and hallow I guess? don't know for sure) make housing unsuitable.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
I wish there was a way to summon forth blood moons/ eclipses, like in the Red Cloud mod. I've explored and beaten just about everything in the game, and still have yet to trigger a single Eclipse.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Jesus christ, I fought the Golem eight times and I came out with a Heat Ray, an Eye of the Golem, and two Demonic Golem fists, and no Picksaw. :bang:

I've never used a character editor before, but goddamn, I'm not going through the process of finding the temple again, fighting Plantera again, and fighting the Golem eight times again.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Shark Tower posted:

I wish there was a way to summon forth blood moons/ eclipses, like in the Red Cloud mod. I've explored and beaten just about everything in the game, and still have yet to trigger a single Eclipse.

TEdit can set the time of day and enable a bloodmoon. I'm sure enabling eclipses is on their list of features to add.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Photosynaesthesias posted:

Anyone have some tips for the Brain of Cthulhu?

I've killed quite a few Eyes of Cthulhu and I've attempted the brain several times, I can easily get him to Phase 2 with a Tendon Bow + Jester Arrows. I've got so much Crimtane and Tissue Samples from attempting this that I've built everything that can be made out of them, but I can't figure out how to avoid the brain's Phase 2 attacks in a spider cave. Should I be trying to get to the surface before killing his swarm of eyes?

I haven't seen a spider cave yet, but you might want a larger arena. I had a crimson cavern about 70 wood platforms across and had an alright time of the fight using Meteor Armor + Space Gun for sweet sweet piercing damage. Just keep moving in phase 2 so he doesn't warp in on top of you. If nothing else works, the Book of Skulls magic that Skeletron can drop makes the fight a breeze.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Colonel posted:

Jesus christ, I fought the Golem eight times and I came out with a Heat Ray, an Eye of the Golem, and two Demonic Golem fists, and no Picksaw. :bang:

I've never used a character editor before, but goddamn, I'm not going through the process of finding the temple again, fighting Plantera again, and fighting the Golem eight times again.
Why would you need to find the temple again to farm the enemies in it for power cells? There's an in-game map now.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

No Safe Word posted:

If your NPCs get killed they won't respawn if their home is corrupted, since corruption (and hallow I guess? don't know for sure) make housing unsuitable.

Hallow is fine. Only corruption (and I assume Crimson) prevents NPCs from moving in.

It's still moot because you can revert everything easily with the Clentaminator if you need to.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

No Safe Word posted:

Housing in the Hallow is perfectly suitable, since it's explicitly meant to be a good thing and the Dryad even asks you to cover the world in as much of it as you can. Like yeah it makes sense to contain the corruption/crimson but why the Hallow too? People act like the world being populated with honest-to-god fairies and unicorns is a herald of the end times.

Dr Tasty
Jul 21, 2005

Hueheheh-and you GOT one

LAY-ZX posted:

Housing in the Hallow is perfectly suitable, since it's explicitly meant to be a good thing and the Dryad even asks you to cover the world in as much of it as you can. Like yeah it makes sense to contain the corruption/crimson but why the Hallow too? People act like the world being populated with honest-to-god fairies and unicorns is a herald of the end times.

Those fairies and unicorns want to murder the gently caress out of everyone.
The Dryad is full of poo poo and a schizophrenic. She sells vile powder and corrupt seeds during blood moons.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Also I'm not even sure that corruption matters for your fortress. It won't spread through crafted blocks of any type so your fortress can't become corrupted. Formerly the corruptor spit would mess up your fortress, but that isn't the case anymore.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I just build a floating castle as soon as hardmode starts. Gives me something to do with all the blocks gathered along the way!

I started building this flying castle (WiP)

I love the new floating island decors, so I raided a few worlds for swag.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
Before I get this game, I have a few questions.

How much am I missing if I just stick to single player and don't bother with multiplayer?

Also how hard is it to get a server set up and running, if I do decide to multiplayer?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Edwhirl posted:

Before I get this game, I have a few questions.

How much am I missing if I just stick to single player and don't bother with multiplayer?

Also how hard is it to get a server set up and running, if I do decide to multiplayer?

Single player and multiplayer are identical content-wise. Obviously the bosses are easier with two players etc, but there is nothing you can't solo. I and others have a lot more fun in multiplayer, but it's still a good and relaxing game singleplayer.

Ease of multiplayer is hit and miss. I have no problems hosting/joining a server, others have to use hamachi, ymmv.

Crimbo Hardstyle
Apr 23, 2006

HISS
After spending far, far too much time farming for a meat grinder and for titanium, I now have a hideous flying meat-castle and a fortress made entirely of titanstone.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

nexas posted:

Would any know if living wood fall under the same rules as regular wood? I'm getting ready for hard mode and I want to see if using living wood would be immune to the corruption/hallow.

Living wood is seemingly immune to corruption.
I got a world where one of the large trees is the only thing keeping the corruption from spilling further into my lands.
I've even seen it take a corruptor shot without any ill effects.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Shukaro posted:

Here's a version which does this:

code:
F12::
if (toggle)
{
    WinGet, WindowID, ID, A
    WinSet, Style, +0xC40000, ahk_id %WindowID%
    WinMove, ahk_id %WindowID%, , 50, 30, 1280, 720
    toggle := False
}
else
{
    WinGet, WindowID, ID, A
    WinSet, Style, -0xC40000, ahk_id %WindowID%
    WinMove, ahk_id %WindowID%, , 0, 0, A_ScreenWidth, A_ScreenHeight
    toggle := True
}
return

XButton1::
    While GetKeyState("XButton1", "P")
    {
        Click
        Sleep 10
    }
return
You can set the 50, 30, 1280, 720 to whatever, it's the X/Y of the top left and the window width/height. Also here's all the valid keys AHK uses if you want to rebind stuff: http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/KeyList.htm

Edit: also these modifiers http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Hotkeys.htm

Sweet Jesus thanks.

I always keep trying to mess around with AHK but I suck at "programming" of any sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The one thing I wish difficulty-wise gets changed is for the difficulty to scale up automatically or manually (more damage/more health/more abilities/etc along with more plentiful normal drops/rare cosmetics/other cool stuff) so that there can be a variety of challenging content even if you have whatever the best gear is.

Lifesteal probably needs something changed about it though, seeing as you can solo literally every single boss in the game at the same time without moving with just turtle armor and vampire knives or the magic equivalent. Having no combat challenge whatsoever to beat your head against is pretty boring.

Robzilla posted:

Sweet Jesus thanks.

I always keep trying to mess around with AHK but I suck at "programming" of any sort.

Glad it's useful!

• Locked thread