Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

uPen posted:

Vicky 2 is much easier to play than Ricky and is a pretty fun game with all the expansions. Definitely worth grabbing at that price.

Sold! Between Kersch's LP and the awesome price I just couldn't say no to getting Vicky2. I still really hope they do Vicky3 at some point and bring in all the great UI improvements they're demonstrating in EU4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
So, how playable is Darkest Hour in multiplayer? Which is the preferred WWII scenario?

What about 'alternative' ones like the WWI shipped with the game? Is a Kaiserreich multiplayer viable?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Littlefinger posted:

So, how playable is Darkest Hour in multiplayer? Which is the preferred WWII scenario?

What about 'alternative' ones like the WWI shipped with the game? Is a Kaiserreich multiplayer viable?

Kaiserreich was originally designed to be Multi-Player scenario with no super-powers but many, many great powers. I don't know if it's evolved along that path now-a-days because I play SP.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
East vs West Round 3 results are up!

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?727108-WINNERS-SELECTED-for-the-third-round-of-We-are-the-World!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Only two of those aren't self-inserts and that's because one's missing a picture.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

I have this huge stupid grin on my face from looking at the ahistorical portraits.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Some more work on my "Divided We Stand" mod!

I have all the states in, and now I'd like to add more independent movements. Also the Dakotas disappeared. I'm assuming that is a conflict somewhere with another file. I really need to adjust the colors, they are pretty bad. Making all the custom flags was a lot of fun and a lot of work.

I did a test game of about 30 years. Mexico gobbled up a few of the south-western states but military alliances among all the other states seemed to stay their hand after awhile. I should find a way to balance that. My income was pretty negative for the start of the game until I had to declare bankruptcy. After that, I was building a steady income as my population grew.

There were a few small wars between the states, but no border changes. Pan-Americans took over Rhode Island and Idaho.

The most interesting part of the game was Europe:

Germany was unstoppable.

Does anyone want to playtest this mod? Give me some feedback on adjustments you'd make?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

All you need for an authentic looking historical photograph is to add a black and white filter, right? Got that, and you're good to go!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Well it looks like EvW can be salvaged after all.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

YF-23 posted:

Well it looks like EvW can be salvaged after all.
Dude, was that seriously the least goony picture of yourself that you had?

Hm, yes, that's just how I picture a heroic 1950s French secret agent who goes rogue and liberates Somalia from evil Western oppression, then transforms it into a modern nation in the course of two decades.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

Hm, yes, that's just how I picture a heroic 1950s French secret agent who goes rogue and liberates Somalia from evil Western oppression, then transforms it into a modern nation in the course of two decades.

He's only giving the project the effort it deserves.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
People are still trying to pretend that EvW isn't going to be Iron Cross 2.0?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Why couldn't we have just gotten a PC port of Twilight Struggle with multi-player matchmaking done through Steam :(

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Rynoto posted:

Aw come on, it's going to suck but not in the data-destroying, unplayable way Iron Cross does- that is, if it actually comes out. They still haven't listed a new release date on the product page.

Besides, THIS is Iron Cross 2.0. :getin:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

So they are accepting literally all submissions? This is my chance to be immortalized. I'm sitting here in my hoodie and with an untrimmed beard, doesn't mean I can't be a suave Cold War double agent.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

gradenko_2000 posted:

Why couldn't we have just gotten a PC port of Twilight Struggle with multi-player matchmaking done through Steam :(

I would definitely pay money for a PC port of Twilight Struggle.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Hey can anyone suggest why I can't get ANY mods to work for Darkest Hour except for KR? I've got it on RC3 and am following instructions for various things, but they either crash due to errors while loading, or load but don't seem to have any effect on the game. This happens whether I copy the directory and overwrite stuff or use a mod folder, and on both the steam and GG versions.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

Hey can anyone suggest why I can't get ANY mods to work for Darkest Hour except for KR? I've got it on RC3 and am following instructions for various things, but they either crash due to errors while loading, or load but don't seem to have any effect on the game. This happens whether I copy the directory and overwrite stuff or use a mod folder, and on both the steam and GG versions.

Which mods are you using? Also go into the Darkest Hour directory and look at the savedebug file, it'll tell you what's causing the crash.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Most mods require you to make a copy of DH Full and then overwrite it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Riso posted:

Most mods require you to make a copy of DH Full and then overwrite it.

Yeah I've been doing that, I only tried the mod folder out of desperation. To my recollection I've tried 1964, Mixed Mod, Communist Germany, and New World Order 2 (with Cold War Tech Tree). 1964 loaded and was different but crashes within a couple of months. Mixed Mod and NWO give different loading/title screens but nothing else changes at all. Communist Germany had no effect that I could discern.

I'll have a poke at the savedebug file, thanks Kavak.

e; hold on, just the DH Full folder, and not the entire Darkest Hour folder in the steamapps folder? This is what the problem was! I've been misreading everything as copying the entire DH Folder, because apparently I have significant brain problems! :saddowns: Thanks Riso, that's probably it - I'll report back if this works out.

e2; Yep, that's what it was. Thanks again guys, I'll try to make further questions not be rooted in my own illiteracy.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 7, 2013

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

uPen posted:

I have this huge stupid grin on my face from looking at the ahistorical portraits.

I'm Katerina, and I made sure not to wear makeup, make my hair frumpy, and put on a suit and glasses as well as not smile with an awkward angle to the camera to keep the tradition of bad photos going.

The fact a stock model got in made me sorta sad I didn't go full makeup and look nice to make a stark contrast though in retrospect since that photo had a stupidly good image quality.

The fact I lost to a goony french spy using white burden to bootstrap africa (the joke) with a goony picture makes me feel pretty good about myself to be honest.

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 7, 2013

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think we can make the entirety of Round 4 Goons at this rate.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Kavak posted:

I think we can make the entirety of Round 4 Goons at this rate.

Do it and we can play awful multiplayer EvW games as ourselves.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Um...I'm thinking three Goons is enough goons. Quite possibly more than enough.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

ExtraNoise posted:

Some more work on my "Divided We Stand" mod!

I have all the states in, and now I'd like to add more independent movements. Also the Dakotas disappeared. I'm assuming that is a conflict somewhere with another file. I really need to adjust the colors, they are pretty bad. Making all the custom flags was a lot of fun and a lot of work.

I did a test game of about 30 years. Mexico gobbled up a few of the south-western states but military alliances among all the other states seemed to stay their hand after awhile. I should find a way to balance that. My income was pretty negative for the start of the game until I had to declare bankruptcy. After that, I was building a steady income as my population grew.

There were a few small wars between the states, but no border changes. Pan-Americans took over Rhode Island and Idaho.

The most interesting part of the game was Europe:

Germany was unstoppable.

Does anyone want to playtest this mod? Give me some feedback on adjustments you'd make?

Are there union cores so any of the states can conquer the others and form the US? Any spread of starting relations with france/england etc? (yes I'm too lazy to download and test right now :()

podcat fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 7, 2013

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Patter Song posted:

Um...I'm thinking three Goons is enough goons. Quite possibly more than enough.
If enough goons submit their pictures, Lowtax gains the rights to the engine. It might be the only way to salvage this mess.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

podcat posted:

Are there union cores so any of the states can conquer the others and form the US? Any spread of starting relations with france/england etc? (yes I'm too lazy to download and test right now :()

Michigan and Wisconsin should both have cores on the Upper Peninsula, so they can fight it out with each other!

EDIT: Oh by the way, what happened to that Modern Times mod? I thought you were designing an updated interface for it.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 7, 2013

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

podcat posted:

There are! I left all the USA and CSA cores in place. The USA still has control of the Washington DC territory in Maryland, as well, though Maryland has a core on it. But the USA can definitely reform under the right conditions.

DrSunshine posted:

Michigan and Wisconsin should both have cores on the Upper Peninsula, so they can fight it out with each other!

EDIT: Oh by the way, what happened to that Modern Times mod? I thought you were designing an updated interface for it.

I'm going to be expanding cores for states into adjacent states, so every mini-nation will feel obligated to expand and it should make for some interesting maps. That said, I'm also going to add the "Republic of Superior" to Upper Michigan and it will have cores for most of the great lakes region.

As for the Modern Age Mod: I need to go back to it, but graphics modding is a hundred times more difficult than editing text files. I have a game I'm going to be starting in Trad Games this week and after it gets going smoothly (and once I'm done working on this little US mod), I'll probably catch up and start producing more content. I just didn't have the time to focus on it during September.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

ExtraNoise posted:

There are! I left all the USA and CSA cores in place. The USA still has control of the Washington DC territory in Maryland, as well, though Maryland has a core on it. But the USA can definitely reform under the right conditions.

I'm going to be expanding cores for states into adjacent states, so every mini-nation will feel obligated to expand and it should make for some interesting maps. That said, I'm also going to add the "Republic of Superior" to Upper Michigan and it will have cores for most of the great lakes region.

As for the Modern Age Mod: I need to go back to it, but graphics modding is a hundred times more difficult than editing text files. I have a game I'm going to be starting in Trad Games this week and after it gets going smoothly (and once I'm done working on this little US mod), I'll probably catch up and start producing more content. I just didn't have the time to focus on it during September.

Oklahoma didn't exist in the 1860s, so it should really be either 'Indian Territory', 'Cherokee', or 'Five Civilized Tribes Federation' or something similar. In fact, more Native American nations in general would rock, even if they're only cores for nations that don't exist yet so you can get nationalist revolters. Apache and Pueblo states in the southwest, cores for a Seminole nation in Florida, a Great Ute Nation in Deseret, etc. I'm assuming the Dakotas are primary-culture Native American; if not, they should be around this time period.

Also, if you plan on doing any custom events or decisions for Deseret, I'd be happy to contribute. I come from a multigenerational Mormon family and was kind of a nerd about early church history before leaving the church a few years ago. I was going to submit some for the last attempt at a Shattered America mod but it ended up dying.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Mister Bates posted:

Also, if you plan on doing any custom events or decisions for Deseret, I'd be happy to contribute. I come from a multigenerational Mormon family and was kind of a nerd about early church history before leaving the church a few years ago. I was going to submit some for the last attempt at a Shattered America mod but it ended up dying.

I love me some LDS history. I've left all the Deseret cores in place, stretching south-west to California, and custom events would be fantastic. But a word of warning: I've not created a single successful event in Vic 2 yet; every time I try it doesn't work. I'm absolute rubbish at event modding.

Do you have any ideas for events? A Mormon "manifest destiny" of sorts? White Horse Prophecy? That sort of thing?

As for Oklahoma: Good point. I wanted to include some Native American nations (Five Nations, Cherokee, etc) and will do some research to converting the Oklahoma I have into a NA nation. Or half of the state. Right now most of the western nations accept native_american_minor culture, even if yankee is their primary culture.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Rynoto posted:

Iron Cross requires you to ruin an otherwise perfectly good install of HoI2 or Darkest Hour. EvW is standalone and is thus a much better product.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Kavak posted:

Only two of those aren't self-inserts and that's because one's missing a picture.
The other one can't even use the photo because the devs need to pay the photographer. If they try to steal the photo I will absolutely let Corbis know it's being ripped off.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Kavak posted:

Aw come on, it's going to suck but not in the data-destroying, unplayable way Iron Cross does- that is, if it actually comes out. They still haven't listed a new release date on the product page.

Besides, THIS is Iron Cross 2.0. :getin:

Sure, why not.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
A generic 'field' picture for Akureyri? :argh:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

Sure, why not.

The weird part is that the areas that could actually use more provinces, like the Eastern Front, North Africa, Italy, etc. have a somewhat reasonable number, then you get to areas like West Africa, India, and North America and the map just goes nuts. Like, Kaiserreich could use a more developed United States, but not like this.

Oh and don't let the screenshots fool you, this is being designed for a WWI mod.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Twilight Struggle is a loving great board game but it's not really in the Paradox mold at all. For experienced players the whole setting is window dressing.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

Sure, why not.

Holy gently caress, what? I genuinely laughed out loud at this picture.

I really love that Anticosti Island is its own region despite being almost enirely uninhabited, Labrador being 5 different regions is also pretty hysterical (less than 30,000 people live in Labrador proper).

Gotta give credit for the Southwestern Ontario region names though, can't say I've ever in my life seen Kitchener represented in a video game.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

DStecks posted:

Holy gently caress, what? I genuinely laughed out loud at this picture.

I really love that Anticosti Island is its own region despite being almost enirely uninhabited, Labrador being 5 different regions is also pretty hysterical (less than 30,000 people live in Labrador proper).

Gotta give credit for the Southwestern Ontario region names though, can't say I've ever in my life seen Kitchener represented in a video game.

Check out that totally microscopic NYC zone, too. Obviously a ton of people live there, but imagine trying to click on that thing!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Do the people who make maps like this ever actually play the games? Is "improving gameplay" even on their mind when they do poo poo like this, or is it just some weird obsessive compulsive disorder where they just HAVE to keep adding more useless provinces? Almost every bad mod or project does this. You can almost tell the quality of a mod by an inverse relation to the number of provinces added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Adding provinces is a simple, repeatable task that provides continuous feelings of accomplishment. Debugging/balancing/etc. is a thankless task that involves stepping on other peoples' toes by arguing that they just wasted their time on something that can't be included. Debugging/balancing/etc. your own contributions is never necessary because of course you got it right the first time :smug:

• Locked thread