Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Base Emitter posted:

It's reassuring to know that even among godlike AI starships, there are still bad posters.

Better not be talking about Woetra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

I'm reading Surface Detail for the first time at the moment, and I love the character of the Falling Outside The Normal Moral Constraints and/or Demeisen. Just wanted to say that.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
I'm reading The Hydrogen Sonata for the first time, and while it's extremely readable and I like Cossont and a few of the ships, it also feels like he's reiterated the basics of Sublimation about four times in the first two hundred pages

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Toast Museum posted:

I figure any SC mission that involves a human is at least in part about that human being some Mind's pet project, because otherwise why not use avatars for this stuff?

Hydrogen Sonata also mentions that Minds tend to become a bit too self-destructive unless a certain number of human are on board to keep it sane.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I just finished re-reading Surface Detail and I have to say, the little shits in the GFCF were really entertaining. I love the idea of a race of scheming "aww shucks, me? :kiddo:" aliens with the worst poker faces in the galaxy.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The Dark One posted:

I just finished re-reading Surface Detail and I have to say, the little shits in the GFCF were really entertaining. I love the idea of a race of scheming "aww shucks, me? :kiddo:" aliens with the worst poker faces in the galaxy.

I love their clumsy, cargo cult, try-hard ship names. "Fractious Person"? "Abundance of Onslaught"? "Deepest Regrets" class? Keep trying, little guys.

General Turgidson
Aug 26, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

I love their clumsy, cargo cult, try-hard ship names. "Fractious Person"? "Abundance of Onslaught"? "Deepest Regrets" class? Keep trying, little guys.

The GFCF ships remind me of so many people who've tried to come up with Culture ship names--they're what you get if you subtract Banks's particular genius. Which just reminds me once again of how much it sucks that we won't have any more of the genuine articles coming along.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

General Turgidson posted:

The GFCF ships remind me of so many people who've tried to come up with Culture ship names--they're what you get if you subtract Banks's particular genius. Which just reminds me once again of how much it sucks that we won't have any more of the genuine articles coming along.

Just keep twisting the knife, rubbing salt, etc.

"Kiss the Blade" was my favourite. Bobby Darin, anyone?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Saw in the Graun today that some lunatic is making an opera out of The Wasp Factory, featuring a rotating all-female cast as Frank. It sounds incredible.

And it's entirely sold out.

Bollocks.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
About the end of the Wasp Factory (seriously, don't read this unless you've read the Wasp Factory already!): Is the main character being portrayed by women not a spoiler? A rotating cast sounds pretty awesome though.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Saw in the Graun today that some lunatic is making an opera out of The Wasp Factory, featuring a rotating all-female cast as Frank. It sounds incredible.

And it's entirely sold out.

Bollocks.

Cool, in London or Edinburgh?

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

The Supreme Court posted:

About the end of the Wasp Factory (seriously, don't read this unless you've read the Wasp Factory already!): Is the main character being portrayed by women not a spoiler? A rotating cast sounds pretty awesome though.
Not really, it makes sense considering the reader/audience is led to believe Frank's "accident" occurs pre-puberty.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Cool, in London or Edinburgh?

London. Tickets are back!

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/the-wasp-factory-by-ben-frost

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

loving hell, Ben Frost? God I would see this in a second if I were in the UK.

General Turgidson
Aug 26, 2013

Shelvocke posted:

Just keep twisting the knife, rubbing salt, etc.

Yeah, I know, but that's the only way I'll ever numb the pain (that and a whole vat of booze).

CAPTAIN SHIT
Mar 10, 2001

guff
When do the ship avatars show up in the Culture series? I don't remember seeing any until around Look to Windward, I think. Is that the earliest?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
In Player of Games didn't the ship that took Gurgeh to Azad have an avatar?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I don't remember if there was an avatar in Player of Games or just shipboard remote drones, but there are definitely avatars in Excession which is earlier than Look To Windward at least.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah, the first humanoid avatar turns up in Excession, before that it's exclusively ship drones.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Xenophobe has avatars in Use of Weapons. In Player of Games, I remember Gurgeh preferring a terminal for talking to the ship, but I can't remember whether an avatar was one of the options he was given.

Edit: Xenophobe's drones aren't humanoid, but they are organic-ish.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, I prefer drones or god-voice to Avatars.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Just started The Algebraist. From what I've read so far, it is vintage Banksian space operatic weirdness. Very much looking forwarded to getting further into it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Those On My Left posted:

Just started The Algebraist. From what I've read so far, it is vintage Banksian space operatic weirdness. Very much looking forwarded to getting further into it.
That one seems to divide opinion a bit here. Personally it's the first Banks book I read and I loved it (also I now choose to believe that it's set in another galaxy of the Culture universe). A lot of people think the main villain is a little too cartoonishly overblow but as you later find out that he spent his whole life trying to build up an aura as a cruel and scary guy who you absolutely should not gently caress with I think it's just right and makes his eventual encounter with the Dwellers all the more effective.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The Algebraist is a fantastic, sprawling, frequently hilarious book, and its only issue is that it starts off pretty slowly.

big scary monsters posted:

(also I now choose to believe that it's set in another galaxy of the Culture universe)

Sadly, both The Algebraist and The State of the Art make mention of Earth, so they're pretty explicitly different fictional universes :science:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

Sadly, both The Algebraist and The State of the Art make mention of Earth, so they're pretty explicitly different fictional universes :science:

What do you mean fictional. :(

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, I prefer drones or god-voice to Avatars.

Oh come one - Xenophobe's avatar(s) were hilarious. Also, so was Masaq's, IIRC, but only because it was a stereotypical 'grey' alien as tinfoil nutjobs here on Earth would see them, so it's extra meta hilarious - as long as my memory isn't total poo poo.

E:

wins32767 posted:

brony of the group

Are you trying to give the good ship Meatfucker a bad name?

:v:

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 25, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

Oh come one - Xenophobe's avatar(s) were hilarious. Also, so was Masaq's, IIRC, but only because it was a stereotypical 'grey' alien as tinfoil nutjobs here on Earth would see them, so it's extra meta hilarious - as long as my memory isn't total poo poo.

Oh, they're fine, I meant the Avatars where they have their own names and semi-personalities and are only partially being controlled by the ship.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

big scary monsters posted:

That one seems to divide opinion a bit here. Personally it's the first Banks book I read and I loved it (also I now choose to believe that it's set in another galaxy of the Culture universe). A lot of people think the main villain is a little too cartoonishly overblow but as you later find out that he spent his whole life trying to build up an aura as a cruel and scary guy who you absolutely should not gently caress with I think it's just right and makes his eventual encounter with the Dwellers all the more effective.

I place Dwellers with the Affront as being the most hilariously horrible aliens around, and they make those two books.

Trogilus
Nov 3, 2012

Shelvocke posted:

I place Dwellers with the Affront as being the most hilariously horrible aliens around, and they make those two books.

Surrender at once or take flight wretch! Glory to the Affront!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'd take the Dwellers over the Affront any day. The Dwellers are really only assholes to their own young.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

The Supreme Court posted:

According to this article, the 'gender-bending twist' has been removed.

EDIT: this piece in the Guardian expands it a little further - it tells the story in a completely different way.

Tenterhooks fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 3, 2013

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'd take the Dwellers over the Affront any day. The Dwellers are really only assholes to their own young.

The Affront are violence-obsessed, whereas the Dwellers are just self-obsessed.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Well they don't seem to care about the hostages Luceferous dumps into space at all either, though that's the point where I really questioned how seriously I was meant to take him.

I'd say they need to be exposed to some real Culture :black101::smug::black101:

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
If you've not read it, Stonemouth is on sale from Amazon for the whole of the month for $3 as part of their Kindle monthly deal thing.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

It's pretty good as well, though I feel a little rushed towards the end.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Checked the spefi -shelf at the library today to see if Excession was around (it wasn't), but Against a Dark Background was. I then realised it's the only M. book I haven't read and grabbed it.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
One of my favorite bits of description was when the one ambassador dude saw a human head mounted in the trophy room and was trying to figure out if it was meant as an insult or a compliment of the "you're not like those other pansies who can't handle seeing a few of their species mounted on a wall" variety.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

I'm about halfway through The Algebraist and flagging. There are lots of cool ideas about Dweller society and The Truth and the Slow/Fast dichotomy being poured into all these pages, but I really want the plot to actually progress at this point.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Benagain posted:

One of my favorite bits of description was when the one ambassador dude saw a human head mounted in the trophy room and was trying to figure out if it was meant as an insult or a compliment of the "you're not like those other pansies who can't handle seeing a few of their species mounted on a wall" variety.

The simplest answer is to remember just who it is the Affront are a parody of:

"BANTER!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Those On My Left posted:

I'm about halfway through The Algebraist and flagging. There are lots of cool ideas about Dweller society and The Truth and the Slow/Fast dichotomy being poured into all these pages, but I really want the plot to actually progress at this point.

I can't remember whereabouts it is, have you gotten to the first big battle between the Dwellers and the humans? I found that that was where it started to properly get moving, even though it is definitely a long, drawn out book.

• Locked thread