Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Is this all some long running joke I'm not getting? That place is a poo poo hole in the middle of nowhere and this blokes hot dogs look like they were made by a teenager.

This is going to end badly relatively quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

It is an earnest attempt to do something nice for a man who just wants to sell hot dogs in a town with dysentery.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

You guys really do enjoy pissing on other people's campfire, don't you?

I never got who's being pissed on here.

The guy gets his money, no one can stop that.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hashtag Nascar posted:

Is this all some long running joke I'm not getting? That place is a poo poo hole in the middle of nowhere and this blokes hot dogs look like they were made by a teenager.

This is going to end badly relatively quickly.

It's a shithole, which means it's arguably in a greater need of money for even its most basic businesses than other places.

I mean, you could Kickstart an artisan taffy-maker's place in San Francisco, but how many high concept establishments run by privileged kids does that place need? In contrast a plain hot dog place in rural Alabama is something that has real significance, even if it may seem asinine to an outsider.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So charity is telling a taffy maker to get hosed but giving money to a hot dog man?

I mean I get your point but it seems kinda weird to paint it as if that hypothetical taffy man couldn't also be poor because he's not from bumfuck Alabama.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I used a taffy man because that was a real Kickstarter that was jokingly linked in the thread as a "competitor" to this project.

Also, in an optimal world, everyone would be able to pursue their wildest dreams. In a world restrained by limited resources, you just have to be arbitrary and make a judgment on what is a good project for its budget, and what could be forfeited. It's kinda the whole premise of Kickstarter.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 8, 2013

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

steinrokkan posted:

It's a shithole, which means it's arguably in a greater need of money for even its most basic businesses than other places.

I mean, you could Kickstart an artisan taffy-maker's place in San Francisco, but how many high concept establishments run by privileged kids does that place need? In contrast a plain hot dog place in rural Alabama is something that has real significance, even if it may seem asinine to an outsider.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGuhZvO1DKg

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Right but why does taffy man not also deserve money in that example, because it sounds like you took it from a joke to a real 'well I guess you could give this guy money and be a fucker or REALLY make a difference' place and that's weird.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So charity is telling a taffy maker to get hosed but giving money to a hot dog man?

I mean I get your point but it seems kinda weird to paint it as if that hypothetical taffy man couldn't also be poor because he's not from bumfuck Alabama.

So Wayne got lucky. Doesn't mean it isn't a good thing to be charitable to him. Is that fair to hypothetical taffy man? Nope. Sucks to be taffy man. Doesn't change the fact that giving to Wayne still a nice thing to do.

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

This is such a bad idea that he's probably going to end up losing money in the long run.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Hashtag Nascar posted:

This is such a bad idea that he's probably going to end up losing money in the long run.

Maybe he will. Why do you care?

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
I don't care about anything ever sints I watched Eraserhead

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hashtag Nascar posted:

He was able to support his family from a trailer. Why should an upgrade to a slightly better locale, financed by others, ruin him?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Deteriorata posted:

Because people in this thread are talking like they're Big Daddy Moneybags saving an entire town.

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

Because this is profoundly stupid and this forum is a place for laughing at stupid things on the Internet i.e this whole thing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I grew up in a rural community in a post-Communist country, much poorer than America, at a time when businesses of all kinds were shutting down because of transformation. I know how hard it's to escape the downwards spiral of impoverishment when all your neighbors are just as poor as you are. And I know that those people simply don't have the luxury of sneering over petty dreams.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
Jesus Christ stop arguing about loving hot dogs you idiots

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tatum Girlparts posted:

He could be, but people don't as a rule travel for food. The taffy maker in SF is more likely to get more money from locals because there are many more locals to get it from and they have more money.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jedit posted:

He could be, but people don't as a rule travel for food. The taffy maker in SF is more likely to get more money from locals because there are many more locals to get it from and they have more money.

So hot dog man is even more hosed because he's upgrading in a tiny, poor, market?

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Because people in this thread are talking like they're Big Daddy Moneybags saving an entire town.

Who gives a poo poo. Just think of it like a weird thing that happened to a lucky hot dog dude. It might work out, it might not. We'll see.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kid Gloves posted:

Who gives a poo poo. Just think of it like a weird thing that happened to a lucky hot dog dude. It might work out, it might not. We'll see.

I don't think many people here on the 'this is kinda dumb' side really give that much of a poo poo. In fact it feels like most of the people giving a poo poo are the ones who, when literally anyone says 'this is a little dumb' go "WELL WHO GIVES A gently caress NO ONE ASKED YOU".

I mean, calling things dumb without being asked is kinda what the internet was built on.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I don't think many people here on the 'this is kinda dumb' side really give that much of a poo poo. In fact it feels like most of the people giving a poo poo are the ones who, when literally anyone says 'this is a little dumb' go "WELL WHO GIVES A gently caress NO ONE ASKED YOU".

So says the person with six posts on this page :allears:

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I mean, calling things dumb without being asked is kinda what the internet was built on.

Hypothetically if the guy does succeed it's something that went from the terrible kickstarters thread to making a huge difference in a hot dog dude's life. That's kind of neat. If it doesn't succeed some goons are out various and generally small amounts of money and Doobie will probably stop trying to open restaurants. It's just a thing that happened.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

I, for one, wish the Hot Dog Man the best, with the fourteen (14) thousand dollars given to him by goons to sell hotdogs that look like this

to people that look like this

from a building that looks like this

go team frog out!!

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Jedit posted:

Yeah but this guy is going to paint emoticons on the side of his building, that's what makes it a much better investment.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Back to taffy man for a sec, you guys know taffy can be green and can, easily, be shaped to look like poop from a butt that's more cute and less gross right?

Just sayin, may have backed the wrong horse.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

I AM THE MOON posted:

I, for one, wish the Hot Dog Man the best, with the fourteen (14) thousand dollars given to him by goons to sell hotdogs that look like this

go team frog out!!
Agreed except unironically.

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW
I spent more on a forgettable lunch today than I gave to Doobie... seems like you haters probably need to get your ends up and start clocking the big bucks and then maybe you'd realize that throwing money at silly projects halfway across the country just isn't a big deal to some of us prosperous goons.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
... That was sarcasm/parody, right?

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW
It ain't trickin' if you got it, Mozi.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I get that the GBS hivemind tends to parade around dumb stuff and turn it into a self-congratulatory circlejerk, but I don't think Wayne/Doobie/Whatever deserves derision. Everything I've been able to find points to him being a decent person with a reasonable looking plan. He's obviously not a bastion of intelligence, but he's definitely smart enough to run a hotdog shack.

Aside from the goony bandwagon crap, there isn't anything to qualify this as profoundly stupid. A guy is getting money from strangers to open a small business. His family and friends seem to be happy for him. They also seem confident that he'll be good at it. It's nice. :)

Hashtag Nascar posted:

and this blokes hot dogs look like they were made by a teenager.

He's already addressed this a few times. The pictures on the Kickstarter weren't representative of what he'll be serving. They were apparently cheap store bought dogs that his family ate that night. He plans on ordering higher quality everything for his restaurant.

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 8, 2013

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If I was backing a video game and the dude used blurry images of Super Mario to represent his game, and then said 'oh that's just the game I was playing the day I made the KS, I'll code a real game don't worry' I would not trust that dude.

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

He could buy the most expensive hotdogs on earth but they will still look like someone poo poo on them.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Tatum Girlparts posted:

If I was backing a video game and the dude used blurry images of Super Mario to represent his game, and then said 'oh that's just the game I was playing the day I made the KS, I'll code a real game don't worry' I would not trust that dude.
Good thing you didn't give him any money then.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's fantastic that you're so discerning, but I don't find "I'm buying better hotdogs when I get my business running" all that hard to believe.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Kid Gloves posted:

It ain't trickin' if you got it, Mozi.

*puts arm around stripper* Baby, I got so much money I can dump it into hot dog shack in a backwater town...

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
He's also making food that will sell (i.e. cheap and with processed cheese because apparently people there prefer it) from a building that sounds like it's pretty par for the course in the area. I mean hell, remember that high-traffic antique shop he wanted to partner with?

Not particularly ritzy.

All of the laughable things about what he's doing are really due to where he is. I can't say I'd ever want to go anywhere near there, but you can't fault a guy for subscribing to the norms of a place he's always lived.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Ruddha posted:

Haaahahahah 30k to go fellas let's make Hamburger Larry and the Diarrhea Dump Cafe a reality

Lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

I AM THE MOON posted:

go team frog out!!

Oh no,poor people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Why would anyone 'back' a video game for gods sake. I REALLY WANNA play that! It is all the same thing. You have a weird obsession of SMB, we that donate just want a random dood to have a shot at a non-nerd activity in an area that isn't rich in technology start ups. What business have you started? Got one? Good for you! Someone gave you a chance.

Seriously, the place has a walk up window, needs paint and probably an interior gut (which he can obviously handle himself). Grade/Throw down some rock and a small asphalt pad for tables and its set. Get out of SoCal people.

I too have spent more on dinner for the family in one night than I contributed. Why do people give a poo poo about this is beyond me. I take that back, I know.

• Locked thread