Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

iostream.h posted:

(like the OMG TEOTWAWKI EMCOMM bullshit)
The AK-47 toting TEOTWAWKI government-hating crowd actually hates the EMCOMM people with a passion, because the latter group provides communications for government agencies and NGOs like the Red Cross, and using oppressive government things like written service agreements, volunteer insurance, ID cards and wearing reflective vests while near a roadway. The TEOTWAWKI types think ham radio should be reserved for complaining about Obama's skin color while wearing camouflage clothing and hiding in the woods. So you see why these two groups don't get along so well. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
The Greek public broadcaster was suddenly closed down. The employees have been broadcasting on internet TV continue to broadcast on shortwave 9420.
http://mt-shortwave.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/voice-of-greece-a13-summer-schedule.html

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Carrying on the theme of shortwave's death rumor has it Radio Australia is done next year. In more positive news famous time ticker WWV/WWVB was featured in Wired celebrating 50 years.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/07/wwvb-time-radio/

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Another shortwave closure of sorts, HAARP is done. Guess this means crazy weather is now left to ..... chance! Sorry conspiracy freaks :tinfoil:

http://mt-shortwave.blogspot.com/2013/07/haarp-facility-shuts-down.html

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I really chose the wrong time to get into this. :(

At least I still have my oldies country AM station.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Radio Nowhere posted:

Another shortwave closure of sorts, HAARP is done. Guess this means crazy weather is now left to ..... chance! Sorry conspiracy freaks :tinfoil:

http://mt-shortwave.blogspot.com/2013/07/haarp-facility-shuts-down.html

It says it's not permanently shuttered. It'll be in operation again later this year with a new contractor.

I would be sad to see HAARP go permanently. Regardless of the moronic conspiracy theories, they do a lot of really good research on the properties of the ionosphere there. Very useful for studying things like the effects of geomagnetic storms from solar flares.

Fun fact: the vast majority of the work done at HAARP anymore is done by civilian scientists from universities. Very little DOD stuff. It pretty much operates like any government operated observatory, with researches applying for time and funding to use the equipment based on the merit of their research projects.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Radio Nowhere posted:

Carrying on the theme of shortwave's death rumor has it Radio Australia is done next year. In more positive news famous time ticker WWV/WWVB was featured in Wired celebrating 50 years.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/07/wwvb-time-radio/

That article is fascinating and I suggest everyone give it a look! I had no idea that the NIST clock's original purpose was to define a second so they could divvy up/standardize radio frequencies. Thanks for posting that.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

I fly a lot for work and I'm obsessed with listening to air traffic control on my LiveATC app. I had some free time this morning, so I followed the instructions in this article, and using a Ubuntu VM and this dongle, I got everything working! I'm now decoding aircraft transponder transmissions in real time. Well, almost everthing from the article is working - the Google Earth overlay doesn't see to work right. I can see a TON of messages received by the dongle but only one visible aircraft ever shows up in Google Earth. Either way this is totally cool and a lot of fun for $22.

I'm an extreme newbie, so pardon my ignorance - I figured this was an appropriate thread for this kind of stuff (since it's kind of SDR) . . . what are some other cool uses for that dongle (it's built on the Realtek RTL2832U chipset)?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
You could pick up a second and listen to trunked radio.

Upconverters will let you listen to the ham bands. Direct Sampling mode is a free way to accomplish something similar.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

RIP Monitoring Times :(

http://www.arrl.org/news/em-monitoring-times-em-to-cease-publication

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Like someone stuck in the 20th century I still subscribe. I dropped Popular Communications a few years back because their editing got terrible. Grove is done with their radio store too, wonder if there'll be a good blowout sale?

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
Selling my Radio in SA mart:

AFEDRI SDR-Net rev.3.0a ( in box )

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Y'all might want to check out the last couple pages of the "Welcome to Nightvale" thread in GBS for a lead on some kickass goon-run pirate shortwave awesomeness.

Just sayin'.

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
So I'm down in little old NZ and am pretty keen to pick up some DX RTTY/PSK and maybe the odd SSB Voice, I dont have a lot of cash to invest in antennas and whatnot so I was wondering if there is a band I should be aiming for to pick up digital modes like RTTY? Instinct tells me something like 80m would reach me better in the upper north island.

I have a decent outside are to string an antenna up so size isn't much of an issue

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

AstroZamboni posted:

Y'all might want to check out the last couple pages of the "Welcome to Nightvale" thread in GBS for a lead on some kickass goon-run pirate shortwave awesomeness.

Just sayin'.

Have a direct link to it? I am somehow missing it.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Fog Tripper posted:

Have a direct link to it? I am somehow missing it.

I'm up to episode 9 and thus far there's a numbers station behind a gas station. I haven't read that whole thread though since I don't want to spoil future episodes.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Radio Nowhere posted:

I'm up to episode 9 and thus far there's a numbers station behind a gas station. I haven't read that whole thread though since I don't want to spoil future episodes.

A goon just broadcast some episodes over shortwave, it's nothing in the show itself.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Swagger Dagger posted:

A goon just broadcast some episodes over shortwave, it's nothing in the show itself.
My transceiver poo poo it's power amplifier during the test, it's in for repairs and I'm about to pick up another (older, more disposable) one to use for this.

I'm planning on broadcasting all of them, and I have a plan that might make it something really, really cool if I can get the new radio set up in time.

Keep an eye on the NV thread, I'll post up in here too, just to keep everyone looped in.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Radio Nowhere posted:

I just want a link to the thread, dude.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

I just want a link to the thread, dude.
Oh poo poo, sorry, here it is!

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005
Non plaudite modo pecuniam jacite.

So I moved to a new apartment and it turns out that it's wifi saturated. I used to be able to get pretty clear signals on my handheld receiver, but now I can't get anything. This is rather depressing since I've been studying off and on for a ham license.

Is there any way that I can cut through the interference? Would it make sense to buy a better receiver/antenna in this situation?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. A magnetic loop antenna cuts right through local interference. Link in the OP.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

AstroZamboni posted:

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. A magnetic loop antenna cuts right through local interference. Link in the OP.

I really should get around to finishing mine.

iostream.h posted:

Oh poo poo, sorry, here it is!

OK, I skimmed through and saw a couple posts talking about SW but only insofar as how great it would be if it SOUNDED like it was on SW. Did I miss a part where someone was going to broadcast it over SW?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Yes. Yes you did. There's a goon with a "non profit radio" rig who's going to be broadcasting as soon as he has his power supply repaired.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

I bought a satellit 750 in Feb of 2011. Worked great until the last 4 months. I used only the 6 volt adapter until I wanted to take it out on my dad's boat so I installed 4 d cell batteries. When I tried to plug the adapter back into the unit it blinked "low" and showed the 'empty' battery sign. I've used the radio until the batteries died, this morning and when I plug the 6 volt adapter in with no batteries it sill reads "low" and the 'empty' sign. From reading the 1 star reviews, I'm assuming the worst. gently caress. I can send it off to be repaired (I'm sure as poo poo not opening the fucker) or start looking for a new radio. It would seem the majority of shortwave radios have their one star reviews, so I'm looking for some advice. I used it for shortwave, and fm/am. I liked the tuning knob of the satellit, and I liked the backlit screen. Advice/recs? Thanks goons.

edit: gently caress, now I've got the 6 volt adapter plugged in, and it won't do anything. I might have to take it apart. Maybe something is loose.

An Apple A Gay fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 23, 2013

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

AstroZamboni posted:

Yes. Yes you did. There's a goon with a "non profit radio" rig who's going to be broadcasting as soon as he has his power supply repaired.
That's me!
I haven't forgotten or blown it off, things went a little tits up when I was run over by a utility truck during a bicycle ride recently (I died actually, I just have a series of REALLY clever shell scripts) and threw my timeline off a little bit.

My goal is still to broadcast the first episode of Welcome to Night Vale (go now and listen if you have not already, it's loving amazing) on the night of October 1st, at some point near or around 9pm CST (I'm pondering a bit later for the West Coast crew) and do an episode an evening until Halloween at which point I plan on marathoning the remaining episodes with brief breaks between each (to avoid melting down another transceiver).

Frequency will be somewhere around 80-40 meters (and probably slightly outside the US Amateur Bandplan).

I'm still a little torn between AM or SSB. I'm leaning towards SSB unless someone can provide a compelling reason to go AM.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

iostream.h posted:

I'm still a little torn between AM or SSB. I'm leaning towards SSB unless someone can provide a compelling reason to go AM.

More capable radios, but much less range. Anyone nerdy enough to tune this in probably has SSB so do that.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

DJ BK posted:

I bought a satellit 750 in Feb of 2011. Worked great until the last 4 months. I used only the 6 volt adapter until I wanted to take it out on my dad's boat so I installed 4 d cell batteries. When I tried to plug the adapter back into the unit it blinked "low" and showed the 'empty' battery sign. I've used the radio until the batteries died, this morning and when I plug the 6 volt adapter in with no batteries it sill reads "low" and the 'empty' sign. From reading the 1 star reviews, I'm assuming the worst. gently caress. I can send it off to be repaired (I'm sure as poo poo not opening the fucker) or start looking for a new radio. It would seem the majority of shortwave radios have their one star reviews, so I'm looking for some advice. I used it for shortwave, and fm/am. I liked the tuning knob of the satellit, and I liked the backlit screen. Advice/recs? Thanks goons.

edit: gently caress, now I've got the 6 volt adapter plugged in, and it won't do anything. I might have to take it apart. Maybe something is loose.

Either a loose wire internally or a bad power adapter. Don't be afraid to open it up and see, just be careful not to damage anything. I thought my E5 was bricked until I opened it up and found a single loose wire. 5 minutes of soldering and it was working fine.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

AstroZamboni posted:

Oh hey spiffy.

iostream.h posted:

That's me!
I haven't forgotten or blown it off, things went a little tits up when I was run over by a utility truck during a bicycle ride recently (I died actually, I just have a series of REALLY clever shell scripts) and threw my timeline off a little bit.

My goal is still to broadcast the first episode of Welcome to Night Vale (go now and listen if you have not already, it's loving amazing) on the night of October 1st, at some point near or around 9pm CST (I'm pondering a bit later for the West Coast crew) and do an episode an evening until Halloween at which point I plan on marathoning the remaining episodes with brief breaks between each (to avoid melting down another transceiver).

Frequency will be somewhere around 80-40 meters (and probably slightly outside the US Amateur Bandplan).

:dance: Will try to find it this evening.
edit: if I can remember how to tune this thing. :(

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 2, 2013

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

Oh hey spiffy.

:dance: Will try to find it this evening.
Episode 1 was last night. ;) Look at the last page or two of the WtNV thread for more details.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

iostream.h posted:

shall be broadcast slightly below 3.5MHZ on LSB.
Can't give an exact frequency because I'll have to find a clear spot, but there y'go.

When you say slightly... are we talking anywhere between 3.4 and 3.5?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

When you say slightly... are we talking anywhere between 3.4 and 3.5?
Yup, somewhere down there.
I'm being vague because I'd rather not promise a specific frequency and have it occupied by something/someone and then have people wondering. I DID (and will continue to) spend several minutes rambling on before queuing up the program, to give people time to tune in and get settled. I may or may not have had some Earwicker tunes in the background for those in the know...

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Good enough. Just hope I can receive out here in the upper sticks of Utah. Storm front coming through over the next day.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

Good enough. Just hope I can receive out here in the upper sticks of Utah. Storm front coming through over the next day.
30 days left! Send any signal (or non-signal) reports to iostream.header at gee male and I'll make what adjustments I can!
I'm actually enjoying this a lot, especially the prep work, I can TOTALLY see myself doing this again next year, preferably with more power and a much better antenna.

This year, for a number of reasons it was really a shoestring budget.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

iostream.h posted:

30 days left! Send any signal (or non-signal) reports to iostream.header at gee male and I'll make what adjustments I can!
I'm actually enjoying this a lot, especially the prep work, I can TOTALLY see myself doing this again next year, preferably with more power and a much better antenna.

This year, for a number of reasons it was really a shoestring budget.

I keep forgetting to tune in every night. :(
Will catch up via podcast for what I miss.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

I keep forgetting to tune in every night. :(
Will catch up via podcast for what I miss.
So far signal reports have been favorable, don't worry there's like, 25 days left!

I decided to play Leonard Cohen 'Everybody Knows' at the beginning of tonight's airing since, let's be honest, 'Pump Up the Volume' was a huge HUGE movie for me when I was a kid.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

iostream.h posted:

I decided to play Leonard Cohen 'Everybody Knows' at the beginning of tonight's airing since, let's be honest, 'Pump Up the Volume' was a huge HUGE movie for me when I was a kid.

I could kiss you for this. Believe it or not, my family has good reason to believe that Pump Up the Volume was based on a real pirate station that was operated by a high school student in Phoenix in 1971. Specifically... My father.

My dad ran a pirate station with a shockingly similar format out of his bedroom when he was 17. Among his devoted listeners was an artist named Robert Longo who would later go on to write and direct the film "Johnny Mnemonic" and was allegedly a frequent collaborator with the writer of "Pump up the Volume."

My grandparents eventually got the ol' FCC knock. My dad got a beating when they found out why the power bill was so high.

I haven't had a chance to tune in yet, but I'll be trying tonight. I'll be listening for the Rabbi Cohen.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Crossposting from the Ham radio thread: For all the SWL's who also operate, I'm finally set up on Echolink for realsies, so if anyone wants to chit chat, I can be reached at KF7JKA. Come give me a ring!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I just wanted to pop in and say that I am glad that my music is being broadcast by some kind of pirate shortwave radio goon. My dad is a hardcore ham radio guy (he's AA6YQ, who some of you might know as the creator of DXLab) and I'm sure he'd be proud since it's the most ham radio related thing that I've been tangentially involved in since I let my own license lapse sometime in the mid 90's

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Earwicker posted:

I just wanted to pop in and say that I am glad that my music is being broadcast by some kind of pirate shortwave radio goon.
I am so glad to hear you say that! I have to admit, all of a sudden I saw your post and thought 'oh poo poo, I was so worried about getting the blessing of the WtNV creators I never thought about the artists for the Weather'. Thanks very much, it's been a blast so far!

I've gotten some good feedback from lots more people than I expected (at this point I'm pretty sure my little secret is 'out there') and a fair amount saying that I can't be heard so, I'm always trying to improve my antenna system and get out farther and clearer.

• Locked thread