Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

TheMightyCheese posted:

After spending far, far too much time farming for a meat grinder and for titanium, I now have a hideous flying meat-castle and a fortress made entirely of titanstone.

Why is the meat castle spewing honey instead of blood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I've become a slumlord.

These tenements are the most vertically-efficient housing you can have. Each provides 13 tiles of floor space, 3 of which must be solid to stand on at night (the left-right alternation is also necessary so they can actually stand there). Just enough height for a table, but not to put anything on it. Also just enough headroom that their upstairs neighbour is narrowly avoiding stepping on their head. The only drawback is that when they wander around in the daytime, they have a habit of jumping up onto the solid bricks above them and thus the whole gaggle winds up on the roof. I'm planning on installing a nightclub and rooftop garden to accommodate that.

I have done science, and it feels terrible.

Those are honeyfalls, aren't they.

You made a giant flying glazed ham. :hampants:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Holy poo poo, the most important decoration-related discovery: You can paint over paintings and it can ACTUALLY LOOK GOOD. My character has now become a photographer rather than a painting collector, who deals exclusively in black-and-white shots.

Robocop Horney
Feb 15, 2009

by T. Finninho
Whoever was talking about using TEdit to set Solar Eclipses earlier, I just started a Solar Eclipse and checked my save in TEdit, my Moon Phase was 7. You could try setting your Moon Phase to 7 and seeing if that does it.

In other news, I just fought off an entire Solar Eclipse and didn't get a single non-money drop :smith:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'd kind of like to make an adventure map, but the monster spawns are an issue. There's no way I know of, in-game or in-TEdit, to highlight an area and go 'these monsters spawn here.' Made worse by the fact that, if there are background walls, I don't think anything at all will spawn. Bit of a problem when you want to make dungeons, ya know?

There any tricks to this nonsense? How'd Red Cloud pull it off? A different editing program?

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Man I love this game.

I lucked out and managed to create some lava waders. Made hell a lot less dangerous but drat if it wasn't :black101: speed boosting through lava on my hermes boots, jumping and swinging my sword at demons and imps.

I've made about 25-ish worlds now looking for pyramids but I've come up with nil. I just want my bunch of balloons, drat it. :suicide:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I finally found a pyramid, turns out there was one on the far side of my jungle on my first world, but it was tiny and had all of one room, then a lot more stairs going to the underground jungle and coming out near a beehive. I suppose I could go in there and gently caress up the Queen bee, since I have, you know, all molten gear and every other boss has fallen before me so far.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

ChibiSoma posted:

There any tricks to this nonsense? How'd Red Cloud pull it off? A different editing program?
TConfig - which allowed players to mod items, terrain, objects, and creatures.

Pneumatic Toaster
Mar 23, 2008

Spacemarine9 posted:

I learned a startling fact about Egypt. They built pyramids right next to each other and also way up in the sky, and they put houses on top of them.

There were three pyramids, all a short walk away from each other, all towering high in the sky. And they all had floating islands at the very tip, too. It was weird.
I got two magic carpets and a Pharaoh set. I wanted a sandstorm in a bottle! :argh:

From a couple pages back, but people might be interested.
This actually isn't natural. It was done using this user created program that lets you toggle different features, like which ores and biomes will be present.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
http://terraria.gamepedia.com/S.D.M.G.

Has anyone actually gotten one of these? I've been picking up all the silt and slush I find on my excavations and no luck so far.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

MR. J posted:

Has anyone actually gotten one of these? I've been picking up all the silt and slush I find on my excavations and no luck so far.

I'm like 100% sure the devs have confirmed that gun isn't in the game yet, and that wiki page is lying to get people to waste their time.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Uzi

You think this is just as much of a lie, then?

Though I wouldn't consider all my Extractinating a complete waste of my time. It's helped me pay for my Leaf Wings.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

MR. J posted:

I've seen one, but only because someone cheated to get it. I doubt it actually is a 1/50,000 drop from the extrator thingy, that would be insane. No clue about the Uzi either.

Dumping tons of slush/silt into the extractor is worth it though for the amber mosquito. I got one the first time I used it, baby dinosaur so cute :smug:

I want the little snowman guy though, he's neat too.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I'm positive I've seen a link to the official forums where one of the devs specifically says that there's no way to get the gun without hacking it in. Even with the weird drops some things have, it also makes no sense to have some ultra-megashark thing be a rare drop from the extractor thing. As for the Uzi? No clue. It's entirely possible a decimal was misplaced or some poo poo. Given that Plantera likes to drop a green-accented Grenade Launcher, the vine things dropping a green-tinted Uzi doesn't seem too far-fetched.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

MR. J posted:

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Uzi

You think this is just as much of a lie, then?

Though I wouldn't consider all my Extractinating a complete waste of my time. It's helped me pay for my Leaf Wings.

There was said be Cenx on this thread: http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/about-reds-vanity-set-and-s-d-m-g.108174/

Edit: About the Uzi I'm pretty sure that is a decimal mistake. Also check the Rod of Discord, it should be a drop from the Chaos Elementals, but instead they drop a Chain Knife, got 2 from them.

benzine fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 8, 2013

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
What are the best items for maximizing my damage with a sniper rifle? The wiki says the maximum recorded damage is something like a thousand points, but I'm only managin around 600 with shroomite armor and an unreal sniper rifle.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

So what's the deal with the jungle temple? My friend and I went all the way through it but didn't find anything. We assumed we were supposed to use the Lihzard Power Cells in there but they didn't do anything anywhere inside and we didn't see anything that looked like an altar.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Akoogly Eyes posted:

What are the best items for maximizing my damage with a sniper rifle? The wiki says the maximum recorded damage is something like a thousand points, but I'm only managin around 600 with shroomite armor and an unreal sniper rifle.

Probably by stacking all the emblems (ranger, avenger, destroyer). The mechanical glove says "10% damage and melee speed" so maybe that applies to ranged as well.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

LAY-ZX posted:

So what's the deal with the jungle temple? My friend and I went all the way through it but didn't find anything. We assumed we were supposed to use the Lihzard Power Cells in there but they didn't do anything anywhere inside and we didn't see anything that looked like an altar.

It's sort of a big glowy yellow thing. It's always in the last room of the temple.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

It's sort of a big glowy yellow thing. It's always in the last room of the temple.

We searched every inch of the place and there's no big glowy yellow thing. If it just kinda didn't spawn that's pretty excellent.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

LAY-ZX posted:

We searched every inch of the place and there's no big glowy yellow thing. If it just kinda didn't spawn that's pretty excellent.

That's happened to me twice. Looks like you need to hit up another temple for the alter (hint, use teleporters if you don't want to search for Plantera's bulb).

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Oh god help me goons all I wanted was a new home base world with a crafting area and tons of storage, and maybe with each npc having their own little house...

now I have a major building project on my hands with each npc getting a customized living space in a town under a massive glass dome with a wip future giant storage, armory, and display room underneath it jesus christ what have I donnnnnnneeee

send help

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Photosynaesthesias posted:

Whoever was talking about using TEdit to set Solar Eclipses earlier, I just started a Solar Eclipse and checked my save in TEdit, my Moon Phase was 7. You could try setting your Moon Phase to 7 and seeing if that does it.

In other news, I just fought off an entire Solar Eclipse and didn't get a single non-money drop :smith:

Nah, it doesn't seem to work. I guess I'll just wait for the TEdit update. On the flipside though, I found the pyramid with Sandstorm in a Bottle in my first world, and my next 2 worlds got me pyramids with both Flying Carpet and Pharoah set, so I guess that's where all my luck went.

LAY-ZX posted:

Apparently the altar not spawning is a bug that got fixed in 1.2.0.2.
http://terraria.wikia.com/wiki/Version_History

Logan 5 posted:

Oh god help me goons all I wanted was a new home base world with a crafting area and tons of storage, and maybe with each npc having their own little house...

now I have a major building project on my hands with each npc getting a customized living space in a town under a massive glass dome with a wip future giant storage, armory, and display room underneath it jesus christ what have I donnnnnnneeee

send help

Seeing screenshots of everyone else's Terraria creations is probably my favorite part of this thread. I'm too lazy/efficient for that though, so my home's just a floating tower with all my NPCs' rooms stacked on top of one another, separated with wooden platforms so that I can easily fly up the middle. Then I fill up everyone's rooms with random pots, paintings, and whatever crap I find just lying around.

Shark Tower fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 8, 2013

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Logan 5 posted:

I've seen one, but only because someone cheated to get it. I doubt it actually is a 1/50,000 drop from the extrator thingy, that would be insane. No clue about the Uzi either.

That was probably me, I have it but I never really use it since I've read that it's coded into the game, just its unobtainable by legit means.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get the Steampunk Wings but I am starting to think they are the same as the SDMG.

I've inventory edited those in too. :ssh:

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Shark Tower posted:

Nah, it doesn't seem to work. I guess I'll just wait for the TEdit update. On the flipside though, I found the pyramid with Sandstorm in a Bottle in my first world, and my next 2 worlds got me pyramids with both Flying Carpet and Pharoah set, so I guess that's where all my luck went.

Seeing screenshots of everyone else's Terraria creations is probably my favorite part of this thread. I'm too lazy/efficient for that though, so my home's just a floating tower with all my NPCs' rooms stacked on top of one another, separated with wooden platforms so that I can easily fly up the middle. Then I fill up everyone's rooms with random pots, paintings, and whatever crap I find just lying around.

I finally lucked out and found 3 pyramids in 2 worlds, and got the sandstorm in a bottle and floating carpet. Only took me 35+ worldgens! :shepicide:

I was considering just reusing my old flying castle, but decided that I actually didn't like the organization of it and retooling it would be a huge hassle. Also it was asymmetrical in a bad way, so I didn't like the look of it. Plus everybody has a floating castle, its a cliche!

I shouldve just reused it, this is insane. If you or anybody really is interested I can post some kind of screen of the WIP and you all can laugh at my stupidity of undertaking this poo poo. This tree I'm making has already consumed nearly 2500 blocks of wood.
e: I might actually appreciate suggestions on how to implement some of my ideas actually, some of them seem rather... unfeasible atm

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 8, 2013

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Post the screenshots Logan5.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've been chipping away at this for about 30-60 min/night since the update was released, and it's just not grabbing me the way I thought it would. I know the early game in Terraria is really tedious, but I'm not getting enough cool new stuff to outweigh that tedium. I was just going into the Cavern layer to find the good travel accessories like the Magic Mirror and the Hermes Boots, should I just forgo those caves and try to find those items in the new areas? Can they even be found there?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Ok, so here is THE DOME (even though the world name is The Hub because before I started I had no clue I'd be building a loving huge dome :downs:). I can post individual structures if you want to see them, although nearly all need at least some filling in of decorations. Click for big:

Very much a WIP. Mostly finished: Main crafting place/bed/guide/quick access stuff building, cleared out area below for future storage; small house for the Mechanic and the Goblin Tink live together in (:3:); Arms Dealer's room/Demolitionist's hopefully explosive proofish place (with actual explosives in it); Tower with Lobby, Merchant Store, Clothing store, Dye Store, future Emergency Care room (will paint a large red cross on it), top floor is gallery/private residence of Painter; Discotheque Pyramid; Steampunker's Gear; Wizard's Cloud.

Currently working on: Giant rear end tree for the Shaman dude (going in the roots) and Dryad (up top).
I worked too hard on the root system:

Still to build: Shipwrecked ship for Pirate (was considering putting it on the root coming out of the asphalt somehow); Cyborg's cyberpunk room, unsure where to put that yet; Truffle's place, was considering outside the Dome.

Misc.: Filling in the Dome with glass wall(going to use tedit for this cause jesus); Skybridge; Teleporter Room; Storage Rooms; Armory (a Weapons/Acc Room, another for Armor); Torture Dungeon deeper underground; Barrier from crimson/hallow.

gently caress.

Anything I'm forgetting?

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 8, 2013

lesbian at Evergreen
Aug 9, 2006
I definitely have a severe building addiction.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Logan 5 posted:

Anything I'm forgetting?

Santa comes during the holidays

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Aren't you guys always like "hardmode bosses are seriously easy"
Because I cannot beat a single one. Not the metal eyes, not the metal worm, not the metal skull, no dice.
How the hell are you supposed to dodge this poo poo, there's lasers everywhere and everything rams you so fast.
My world has corruption instead of Crimson so I can't get that golden shower thing everyone loves, and I don't really feel like going to another world for crimson hardmode stuff. My gear is paladium armor, wings, and a few toys like the dao of pow, an upgraded lightsaber, a nimbus cloud, cursed flames tome, and exploding arrows and bullets. I'm surviving the underground corruption and hallow well enough to take home some souls and stuff, but against bosses I cannot win. What's the trick? Do I have to upgrade to higher armor? Is there a dodging technique? Or do I have to build an arena and a bunch of gizmos to even have a fighting chance?

I'd grind the dungeon but I have not figured out what to do about casters who just appear and then cover the entire screen with spells.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Shark Tower posted:

I'm too lazy/efficient for that though, so my home's just a floating tower with all my NPCs' rooms stacked on top of one another, separated with wooden platforms so that I can easily fly up the middle.
You must somehow incorporate a shark tank into this, so that you are not wasting your name.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Because I cannot beat a single one. Not the metal eyes, not the metal worm, not the metal skull, no dice.
How the hell are you supposed to dodge this poo poo, there's lasers everywhere and everything rams you so fast.
My world has corruption instead of Crimson so I can't get that golden shower thing everyone loves, and I don't really feel like going to another world for crimson hardmode stuff. My gear is paladium armor, wings, and a few toys like the dao of pow, an upgraded lightsaber, a nimbus cloud, cursed flames tome, and exploding arrows and bullets. I'm surviving the underground corruption and hallow well enough to take home some souls and stuff, but against bosses I cannot win. What's the trick? Do I have to upgrade to higher armor? Is there a dodging technique? Or do I have to build an arena and a bunch of gizmos to even have a fighting chance?

I'd grind the dungeon but I have not figured out what to do about casters who just appear and then cover the entire screen with spells.

I'd recommend making a basic arena - you don't have to go crazy, just ~2-3 floors of platforms spaced 10 blocks apart. If you have any heart or star statues you can place them in it wired up to timers and they'll spit out free health. Use a clockwork assault rifle or minishark loaded with crystal bullets (musket balls + crystal shards from underground hallow) and go after the destroyer first - he's by far the easiest of the three.

Also make ironskin and regeneration buff potions - they're easy to make (water bottle + daybloom + either a mushroom or iron/lead ore) and hugely increase your survivability. If you want to use bows/repeaters instead of guns - first of all, don't bother without at least adamantine/titanium repeaters, and secondly you'll need archery potions (water bottle + daybloom + lens) for it to compete with guns. Use hellfire arrows.

You might be able to manage without adamantine/titanium armor but it would definitely improve your odds.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 8, 2013

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Machai posted:

Santa comes during the holidays

For December I'll just build a red brick chimney on top of the Dome with the smallest size room possible for Santa to get stuck in. Stop eating all my cookies you fat jerk.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Go to Dungeon, kill enough, get ectoplasm for Spectre set, get Shadowbeam/Spectre/Inferno/Magnet Sphere/Demon Scythe/even Laser Rifle, laugh off everything with your heal spam, bam. Mana Accessories like Magic Cuffs, Mana Flower, Sorcerer Emblem are a good idea too.

e: missed the dungeon part of your post. Once they pop up aim for them immediately, and then as soon as you hit they'll teleport around each time. Its annoying but there's a pattern to it.

Barring getting the Spectre set you def need to upgrade your armor. Cobalt/Palladium is nice at first for surviving hardmode better, but its not for taking down the bosses or the harder mobs. I'd recommend getting Adamantium/Titanium before trying the bosses again, make Spelunker pots and try the bottom of your world above the hell layer, there is more ore there. Also pick one at this point: Magic, Ranged, or Melee, then accessorize accordingly. You can always change later, but focus on one for now if you want to solo bosses.

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 8, 2013

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Yonic Symbolism posted:

My gear is paladium armor

Eoasily your biggest problem there, there are two other tiers of armor you can get that will help out, look for Orichalcum/Mythril then Adamantium/Titanium so you can survive longer.

Also yeah, you'll want a terrain advantage too. Try to find heart statues and wire each of them to an individual pressure plate, that will help, I managed to beat the Destroyer with only three. If you can beat him you can get a Megashark and hallowed gear in case you want to kill the other two or you can go off to the jungle with the drax made from hallowed bars and get some Chlorphyte armor.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm kinda surprised he didn't just shred the destroyer with his nimbus rod and any other piercing spell.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Fish Noise posted:

You must somehow incorporate a shark tank into this, so that you are not wasting your name.

Too bad there's no way to transport enemies into other biomes. I'd totally be up for fishing a couple sharks out of the ocean and into some kind of sophisticated anti-intruder air-moat trap. Maybe piranhas too.

Akett posted:

Eoasily your biggest problem there, there are two other tiers of armor you can get that will help out, look for Orichalcum/Mythril then Adamantium/Titanium so you can survive longer.

Also yeah, you'll want a terrain advantage too. Try to find heart statues and wire each of them to an individual pressure plate, that will help, I managed to beat the Destroyer with only three. If you can beat him you can get a Megashark and hallowed gear in case you want to kill the other two or you can go off to the jungle with the drax made from hallowed bars and get some Chlorphyte armor.

You can actually wire 6 individual plates to a single statue and have each of them activate it. You have to place the plates at least 1 space apart, plus place the wires as if they don't share a connection with any other wire (the game will show them connecting when you place the wires beside each other, but it'll work as if each was separately activating). This lets you get up to 6 hearts/mana stars from a statue instantly before having to wait for statue cooldown and is super-helpful when you don't have endgame equipment.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I am sure this is old hat by now but I just finished my Ivy Whip and holy poo poo. This is AWESOME.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Some of the new house decorations and such are pretty rare it seems. I went through two blue dungeons and got a grand total of one single blue dungeon candle. Give me candles rear end in a top hat game :arghfist::saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Shark Tower posted:

Too bad there's no way to transport enemies into other biomes. I'd totally be up for fishing a couple sharks out of the ocean and into some kind of sophisticated anti-intruder air-moat trap. Maybe piranhas too.

Build a glass case, fill it with water, then set a water chest at the bottom and put a Megashark in it.

e: By the way, After rocking a Tactical Shotgun with Chlorophyte Bullets while wearing the Shroomite Armor I completely and fully retract my statement about ranged builds getting shafted. Earlier I had to go AFK while I was out in the middle of nowhere during an eclipse, so I just pointed up and weighed my mouse button down, came back five minutes later to find I was still just fine and had killed about fifty things.

LAY-ZX fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 8, 2013

• Locked thread