Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jun 23, 2010

It finally happened :( I'm addicted to Candy Crush Saga. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
I want a gym/fitness app that lets me type in my own routine and track my lifts. That's all. I've downloaded probably 10 different apps at this point trying to find something that does this simple task, and they are all utter garbage. Surely there is something out there that suits my needs? I guess I could just continue using notes.app but I thought there might be something slicker.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Mr. Onslaught posted:

I want a gym/fitness app that lets me type in my own routine and track my lifts. That's all. I've downloaded probably 10 different apps at this point trying to find something that does this simple task, and they are all utter garbage. Surely there is something out there that suits my needs? I guess I could just continue using notes.app but I thought there might be something slicker.

Fitocracy.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Thanks for the suggestion but that's pretty much the polar opposite of what I'm looking for. I just messed around with it for a few minutes and really hated it. Achievements and points and quests and a bunch of other bullshit seems pretty tedious, just looking for something that lets me type in my routine for what I do each day, save that, and then type in the amount of weight I put up in a given session and have that be tracked/saved.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
You can do that with Fitocracy. Just ignore the achievements and quests. It saves routines easily and allows you to log workouts in seconds.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

Ok then, at the very least it has the best interface of anything I've tried so far (even with all the superfluous poo poo). Thanks to both.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Yeah, I didn't recommend it for the social aspect. I like the graphs and tracking. Repeating a routine is easy. Just modify the weight or details.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Ok then, at the very least it has the best interface of anything I've tried so far (even with all the superfluous poo poo). Thanks to both.

I just use Google Drive.

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

From here, it's possible.

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Have you tried Strong?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Just in case all you 5s owners are looking for an app to import slo-mo videos to other apps: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/truslomo/id713419894?mt=8&uo=4

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Taxes posted:

Have you tried Strong?

That looks pretty slick.

skrath
Nov 14, 2000
Horsum venit vir qui fert locustas!

the kawaiiest posted:

Just in case all you 5s owners are looking for an app to import slo-mo videos to other apps: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/truslomo/id713419894?mt=8&uo=4

Does this work for anyone? It tells me I need a 5S to run the app..which I have.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

skrath posted:

Does this work for anyone? It tells me I need a 5S to run the app..which I have.

And you're not in the US, right? The dev said there was a problem with non-US phones and he's pushed an update to fix it but it's not live yet. Here's the thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/1nqcyu/hey_riphone_5s_users_i_made_a_free_app_that_lets/

skrath
Nov 14, 2000
Horsum venit vir qui fert locustas!

the kawaiiest posted:

And you're not in the US, right? The dev said there was a problem with non-US phones and he's pushed an update to fix it but it's not live yet. Here's the thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/1nqcyu/hey_riphone_5s_users_i_made_a_free_app_that_lets/

Yes, that was the issue - I'll wait for the update, thanks.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
So are there any apps that take advantage of the M7 in the 5S to make it work like a fitbit, track steps etc?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Disappointing Pie posted:

So are there any apps that take advantage of the M7 in the 5S to make it work like a fitbit, track steps etc?

Apparently. Probably more are coming now that devs have had a few weeks to play with the hardware.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Disappointing Pie posted:

App roundup: Best fitness apps that use the iPhone 5s' M7 motion co-processor

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Are there any video apps that still have support for playing files with AC3? I have some DVD ISOs that I'd like to copy the VOBs from and watch them on my iPad, and while there are plenty of apps that support playing VOBs, none of them seem to be able to play AC3 audio...

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Ever since Duolingo hit the app store as a featured app for iOS7 its been running like crap. I think their servers are getting slammed. I had all this trouble logging in on iPad and iPhone and eventually got it working by shutting off WiFi, but its still flakey.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

hypersleep posted:

Are there any video apps that still have support for playing files with AC3? I have some DVD ISOs that I'd like to copy the VOBs from and watch them on my iPad, and while there are plenty of apps that support playing VOBs, none of them seem to be able to play AC3 audio...

I think the AC3 guys started charging for using the codec, so it's gonna be hard to find.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
So I finally downloaded VSCO and while I appreciate their desire to have a unified theme and style to the app, I find it particularly frustrating that they feel the need to leave pretty much everything completely unlabeled as well as not including any tooltips at all. Obviously its easy enough to figure out with some time and playing around, but something about the way the whole app is set up that makes me uncomfortable. Seems like it would really hinder workflows.

Maybe I just need some time to get used to it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

JHVH-1 posted:

Ever since Duolingo hit the app store as a featured app for iOS7 its been running like crap. I think their servers are getting slammed. I had all this trouble logging in on iPad and iPhone and eventually got it working by shutting off WiFi, but its still flakey.
Weird, I haven't had a problem with it. Other than the end of lesson animations being slow as gently caress. It's like the rest of the iOS 7 system animations :v: (...but much slower)

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What's a good iOS 7-compatible app to use as a TV-show calendar? I currently use TV Forecast, but I don't get the feeling the developers still maintain it.

I really like its simple layout, though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Trying to decide on a replacement web browser with ad-block. Atomic and Maven came up, what's the differences, upsides and downsides between the two?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ufarn posted:

What's a good iOS 7-compatible app to use as a TV-show calendar? I currently use TV Forecast, but I don't get the feeling the developers still maintain it.

I really like its simple layout, though.

Try Episodes.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

SynthOrange posted:

Trying to decide on a replacement web browser with ad-block. Atomic and Maven came up, what's the differences, upsides and downsides between the two?

I use Atomic and it's pretty good but it hasn't been updated in like a year and I have a feeling it's been abandoned. Just something to keep in mind.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Look into iCab Mobile. When I was looking for alternate browsers about a year ago it was vastly superior to Atomic. Plus, it still gets regular updates.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Is it just me, or is the iOS <-> OS X synchronization in Numbers (and probably Pages) a bit shoddy? If I open a Numbers spreadsheet (created on my Mac) with the iPad version, I get a barrage of irrelevant warnings about the "Spotlight metadata not visible" or some such, and that I should open a copy.

Is there a clean way to seamlessly use Numbers between OS X and iOS, or is this a fool's errand?

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Mr. Onslaught posted:

I want a gym/fitness app that lets me type in my own routine and track my lifts. That's all.

Jefit is the answer. The UI is a bit 2002, but it sounds like what you want.

Enter your workouts and it will let you track progress, give a full history and time your sets/rests. It's even got a guide to doing stupid exercises you shouldn't be doing, like Reverse Bulgarian Snatch Squat Hip Thrusts.

Surgeon General's Warning: Use of Jefit may cause you to get totally huge and call people 'bro' a lot.

http://www.jefit.com/

Wario In Real Life posted:

So I finally downloaded VSCO and while I appreciate their desire to have a unified theme and style to the app, I find it particularly frustrating that they feel the need to leave pretty much everything completely unlabeled as well as not including any tooltips at all.

VSCO is the best camera app by far, but yeah - they take their hipster design aesthetic a little too far. If you get lost, you can always tap on any control/preset and it will pop up the little adjustment slider, which is labelled.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 8, 2013

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

BrosephofArimathea posted:

VSCO is the best camera app by far, but yeah - they take their hipster design aesthetic a little too far. If you get lost, you can always tap on any control/preset and it will pop up the little adjustment slider, which is labelled.

VSCO is awesome but I think Afterlight is pretty good too and a lot less pretentious.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

hypersleep posted:

The restriction is US only. Download VLC, set your region to Canada or something. Watch as it magically can play AC3.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Lexicon posted:

Is it just me, or is the iOS <-> OS X synchronization in Numbers (and probably Pages) a bit shoddy? If I open a Numbers spreadsheet (created on my Mac) with the iPad version, I get a barrage of irrelevant warnings about the "Spotlight metadata not visible" or some such, and that I should open a copy.

Is there a clean way to seamlessly use Numbers between OS X and iOS, or is this a fool's errand?
I've never run into that one :confused:. I've had some where the iOS app just doesn't support a feature of the desktop version, but that's about it. Does it do it with every single document?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

japtor posted:

I've never run into that one :confused:. I've had some where the iOS app just doesn't support a feature of the desktop version, but that's about it. Does it do it with every single document?

It seems to. I wonder if it's related to the fact that I originally converted these Numbers documents from Excel files...

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Lexicon posted:

It seems to. I wonder if it's related to the fact that I originally converted these Numbers documents from Excel files...
I guess try a quick test: make a new doc on the iOS app, make a simple edit on the Mac, see what happens when you open it again on iOS.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Thanks for the suggestion but that's pretty much the polar opposite of what I'm looking for. I just messed around with it for a few minutes and really hated it. Achievements and points and quests and a bunch of other bullshit seems pretty tedious, just looking for something that lets me type in my routine for what I do each day, save that, and then type in the amount of weight I put up in a given session and have that be tracked/saved.

I use Jefit for this.

e: Strong looks pretty badass though, I may switch...

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
What are some good camera apps? Something with a bit more manual control would be cool, but I don't know what's possible in iOS. In Android the stock camera app had the ability to do exposure adjustments of up to +/-3EV (really these were just shutter speed adjustments) and I kind of miss that.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
VSCO CAM gets a lot of love here. I don't think it lets you manually set exposure levels but it does allow for a separate exposure / focus lock. It's free so you might as well give it a shot.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I suppose I should have mentioned that I'm already using VSCO, Snapseed, and AfterFocus.

Still, exposure lock isn't sufficient in a couple use cases, especially when I want to deliberately underexposed a brightly lit scene with low contrast by a few stops.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

As far as I know there's next to nothing that allows manual control. The camera API just doesn't allow for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Ah, well that's a bit of a bummer. Maybe I should just keep a variable ND in my pocket and hope the camera doesn't try to compensate too much by pumping the ISO and using a really long shutter.

• Locked thread