Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Do they actually say tomboy and 婆 in Taiwan? In the mainland it's just the letters T and P, usually prefixed with shuai/帥 (handsome) and mei/美 (pretty) respectively.

In Hong Kong, TB means any kind of lesbian as short for tomboy. My first realization of this was a confusing conversation, "oh I know her she's TB." "What's that?" "A tomboy." "Oh. Cool, I guess. So what she plays sports or video games or just like dresses a certain way?" "I don't know what she does. I just know she's a tomboy."

It took a while for us to get to the part where she has a sexual preference for other women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
T = butch
婆 = femme

I found out when I was telling a Taiwanese friend about how both my Japanese classmate and I are "tomboys" who like to play video games and read comic books and stuff. Awkward conversation, that.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

url posted:

"More butch" rather than "butcher". One adopts perceived masculine traits, the other will kill, skin, cut and provide meat to a community.
It's subtle I know :P (^^ another :10bux: I bet ^^)

To my knowledge the T of LGBT is fairly well defined. Butch is Butch, and T is T.

I'm not making a judgement call on yourself, but drat, I really struggle to keep company with those that aspire to discriminatory violence - I just do.
I did say in the other post that country side folk are usually different and your post seems to support that (extremely sweeping) statement. It's a shame, but, exposure is the only answer in my mind.

Lastly, yeah - lipstick is considered to be a pejorative descriptor because you strip the person of their legitimacy in the claim that it's a phase/fad/temporary thing.

Not sure if you are trolling me, but I used the word butch"er" as a comparative, not as a noun. And we all know single-syllable adjectives get an "+er" tacked on to the end, not a "more" dropped in front. You know, like that girl is butcher than her girlfriend. Or that guy is taller than his friend. If this is this an attempt at internet humor, well, swing and a miss, I guess.

Like I said, these homophobic Taiwanese guys are businessmen and engineers. This is not a rural vs. urban difference. Not all the big-city folks live in Taipei. So no, my post does not support your statement. They are great guys otherwise, and if I had to guess I would say their homophobia comes from having gay men "other-ized"--that is, they never actually sit around and talk to gay men, and they don't have any gay friends. This creates all kinds of misconceptions. My feeling is that they all think they are going to get eye-raped and then flirted with non-stop should they ever actually have a conversation with a gay man. Also, they are probably pretty insecure.

Also, does "lipstick" really include an element of "short-term/phase"? I always just used it to describe the more traditionally feminine girl in a lesbian relationship--if there is one. Just lipstick/butch instead of bitch/butch or femme/butch. Urban Dictionary is not mentioning anything about lipstick lesbian being about straight girls experimenting or going through a phase, or delegitimizing someone's sexuality.

And yeah, everyone has already answered your misunderstanding re: T girls.

Edit: Forgot to delete something.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
In all fairness "That girl is butcher" sounds like some filthy cockney slang.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Understandable given that everything url says is horrible cockney slang.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

hitension posted:

T = butch
婆 = femme

I found out when I was telling a Taiwanese friend about how both my Japanese classmate and I are "tomboys" who like to play video games and read comic books and stuff. Awkward conversation, that.

That's a weird cross-strait difference. In the mainland playing League of Legends and reading comics/manga is pretty much normal behavior for any woman between the ages of 18 and 35!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pandemonium posted:

Like I said, these homophobic Taiwanese guys are businessmen and engineers. This is not a rural vs. urban difference. Not all the big-city folks live in Taipei. So no, my post does not support your statement. They are great guys otherwise, and if I had to guess I would say their homophobia comes from having gay men "other-ized"--that is, they never actually sit around and talk to gay men, and they don't have any gay friends. This creates all kinds of misconceptions. My feeling is that they all think they are going to get eye-raped and then flirted with non-stop should they ever actually have a conversation with a gay man. Also, they are probably pretty insecure.
My workplace is pretty ok with gay/lesbian stuff. I'm pretty sure there are a few people who are homophobic, but not to a violent degree or anything close to that. I'm also in Taipei though, so maybe that's part of it.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Understandable given that everything url says is horrible.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Lipstick is like queer. Okay amongst ourselves, and many people consider it their identity, but if an outsider calls us that, we might have to go round and round.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'll be at the microbrewery near Haishan station tonight if anyone wants to trek down to Tucheng for some beer.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Atlas Hugged posted:

Understandable given that everything url says is horrible cockney slang.

:)

Spanish Matlock posted:

In all fairness "That girl is butcher" sounds like some filthy cockney slang.

It's so apt and plausible, if it isn't a phrase I'll do my level best to make it one.
"Butchers Hook" (really old school); "more meat on a butcher's pencil"; "fitter than a butchers dog" are the only ones that spring to mind.

Not trolling, but yeah I never knew T as tomboy. I'm kinda unimpressed at the variant to be honest.
Swing and a miss?? Maybe, but, personally, for the sake of clarity I'd use more butch both spoken and written.
Ignore the rest as "late night" posting.

:)

So yeah - all that jazz aside: Poker on Weds. I'll dig up the details on Tuesday.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I'm planning to grab a prepaid sim when I get into TPE in about 2 weeks, but I need more info comparing Chunghwa Telecom vs Taiwan Mobile. Rates look similar (I'm going with a NT $450/7 day plan) and I'll be using an unlocked Nexus 4. How are the 2 carriers different? Who has better coverage/speeds? Does HSPA+/LTE exist there?

kenner116
May 15, 2009
It seems that it's not possible to get a visitor visa while here on a visa-exempt stamp, unless you have obtained a work permit. I'm here studying Chinese on a Huayu scholarship, so it looks like I may have two or three trips to Manila coming up over the next couple of semesters! Why can't there just be a ferry to one of those nearby Japanese islands, or affordable airfare to Hong Kong?

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
You were supposed to get a resident visa back in the States (or wherever you came from) before arriving in Taiwan. Then you can get a 1-year ARC right away.
Sorry to hear your TECO office or Embassy dropped the ball on you. I keep meeting people who aren't aware that that's what you're supposed to do.
e: I mean technically you can do whatever you want, but it's definitely the cheapest/easiest option.

hitension fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 8, 2013

kenner116
May 15, 2009
I received a 6 month scholarship, so I was only allowed to apply for a visitor visa (60 days), which can be renewed twice (up to 180 days total). If I had received a 9 month or longer scholarship I could have applied for a resident visa. I went to the NYC TECO office back in August and gave them my application, but they wouldn't give me a visa because of the condition of my old decrepit water-damaged passport (which has since been replaced at the AIT). I was told by the NY TECO education office that I could get a visitor visa while in Taipei.

Anyway, the 160 USD I would have spent on the visa is about the same price as a three day trip to Manila, so it's not so bad. I would have had to leave before the end of February anyway even if I had a visa (180 days after arriving on August) or change it to a resident visa, which again is a similar cost as a trip to Manila. The only downside really is that I'll be missing a couple days of class next month.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
The owner of the place we play poker at is still in Shanghai (typhoon has delayed her flight).

So we're planning on postponing this month's game until next week. - I'll post the address and all that good stuff on Tuesday.

Apols if you had gotten your hopes up/had adjusted your budget to account for the huge winnings etc etc.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Since tomorrow is a day off, good to know that there's no poker I could have been going to.

Edit: I just spent a class that was supposed to be themed around showing kids Halloween costumes online trying to figure out why my assistants insisted that a little girl wanted to see a whore costume.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 9, 2013

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Does anyone actually know the reason why Total War games aren't available in Taiwan? I can't imagine it has anything to do with censorship. Maybe there's a dispute between the developer and the government? It's so weird being the only series of games I can't find on Steam.

Edit: I guess it's possible I could find a physical copy of it somewhere?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Does anyone actually know the reason why Total War games aren't available in Taiwan? I can't imagine it has anything to do with censorship. Maybe there's a dispute between the developer and the government? It's so weird being the only series of games I can't find on Steam.
AFAIK a lot of Sega-published titles aren't available here for some reason. It's not a censorship thing, because why would you censor Sonic All-Stars Racing? I think it's a matter of distribution rights - I'm guessing some company here has local distribution rights and won't give up online rights. But I'm def. pulling this out of my rear end.

e: But if you want them, you can just get someone on your Friends list overseas to buy and gift them. That's how I got them.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I think the solution is that you have to get someone to gift it to you on Steam and then you can download it no problem. The other dumb thing about Steam is that I have to have my street address match my US credit card except for the country, which has to be set to Taiwan.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

TetsuoTW posted:

AFAIK a lot of Sega-published titles aren't available here for some reason. It's not a censorship thing, because why would you censor Sonic All-Stars Racing? I think it's a matter of distribution rights - I'm guessing some company here has local distribution rights and won't give up online rights. But I'm def. pulling this out of my rear end.

e: But if you want them, you can just get someone on your Friends list overseas to buy and gift them. That's how I got them.

I can't get SEGA games in HK as well. Total war only sold through box copies. Price is not much of different from Steam so I'm still happy :neckbeard:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
With PC games like this, it will just install the English version right? Dragon Age did that for me, but that was years ago and a limited edition version of the game.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Atlas Hugged posted:

With PC games like this, it will just install the English version right? Dragon Age did that for me, but that was years ago and a limited edition version of the game.

Gifted stuff from Steam? Yes.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've never had a Steam account outside of Taiwan, but I've always had the client in English, and everything has installed in English for me, gifted or otherwise, so I don't think that'll be a problem.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I've gone and bought plenty of games at stores, and put in the number into Steam and downloaded the English version automatically. When games are first released, it's cheaper to get them at the store and do that than get them direct from Steam. Plus, you get a box!

I did that with Dark Souls, and got the artbook and such for cheaper than what Steam had it for awhile back. Same for (ugh) Spore.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Ravendas posted:

I've gone and bought plenty of games at stores, and put in the number into Steam and downloaded the English version automatically. When games are first released, it's cheaper to get them at the store and do that than get them direct from Steam. Plus, you get a box!
If it's an EA game make sure it's actually on Steam first, though, or you'll end up with loving Origin.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

duckfarts posted:

Gifted stuff from Steam? Yes.

No, I meant buying stuff from stores.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I'll set my computer on fire before I use Origin again.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Atlas Hugged posted:

No, I meant buying stuff from stores.

Check the box; they'll usually list the language used for the game and the instructions on the spine and it's almost always English for the game. Almost always, as I got the newer Pirates! here, but it was Chinese only because I wasn't paying attention. For steamworks games, you're fine.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Moon Slayer posted:

I'll set my computer on fire before I use Origin again.

Origin Patchnotes:

Due to user demand version 9.4 will now set your computer on fire.

Edit: Interesting note, even if you set your location to the US, the origin store is still in chinese.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

If you have a european/american/not-Taiwanese card available you just need to use the steam web page instead of the actual steam client to buy things and it'll work fine.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Spanish Matlock posted:

Origin Patchnotes:

Due to user demand version 9.4 will now set your computer on fire.

Edit: Interesting note, even if you set your location to the US, the origin store is still in chinese.
Don't be silly.

Customer Support are the ones that set your computer on fire, on receipt of any kind of attempt to communicate with them.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Magna Kaser posted:

If you have a european/american/not-Taiwanese card available you just need to use the steam web page instead of the actual steam client to buy things and it'll work fine.

You sure about that? I just tried opened up a browser and went to store.steampowered.com and searched for "rome" and got the exact same results I do in the client. I can get trailers of Rome II just fine, but no options to buy it.

Edit: I tried doing a google search of "rome 2 steam" and google produced the link to its page on the webstore. Clicking the linking brought me to an error page.

Edit 2: I can find the digital download of it on Amazon, though it says only available to people in the United States. I figure as long as my billing address is set to my US address, it should download fine, though I haven't tried this. However, that was how I got around the "no purchases" barrier on the Amazon App store before Taiwan relented. I just told Amazon my home address was my US billing address and I could buy whatever I wanted. I'd prefer not to download it from Amazon though.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Oct 11, 2013

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

You sure about that? I just tried opened up a browser and went to store.steampowered.com and searched for "rome" and got the exact same results I do in the client. I can get trailers of Rome II just fine, but no options to buy it.

Edit: I tried doing a google search of "rome 2 steam" and google produced the link to its page on the webstore. Clicking the linking brought me to an error page.

Edit 2: I can find the digital download of it on Amazon, though it says only available to people in the United States. I figure as long as my billing address is set to my US address, it should download fine, though I haven't tried this. However, that was how I got around the "no purchases" barrier on the Amazon App store before Taiwan relented. I just told Amazon my home address was my US billing address and I could buy whatever I wanted. I'd prefer not to download it from Amazon though.

I'm in the mainland which I assumed was even more restrictive than Taiwan (DOTA2 is a hot commodity!!!) would be as far as region locking, so it could be a regional difference there. Without a VPN I can buy things fine on the website then go to my client and download them, with a VPN I can purchase in-client fine. I apologize for the misinformation.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Yeah, for Steam I can use a local credit card I have now, but I used to have to transfer money to a local Paypal account to pay for stuff. Steam wallet helps cut down on the number of transactions you have to do.

Greenmangaming makes me have to tunnel home to the US for transactions though and it's really annoying; I may need to see if it lets me make a local account now(it did regional ip blocking before).

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

At a deadly pace it came from... outer space!
http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=us

I've had trouble buying a few things in Taiwan, but going to the above address fixes all of that. You may have to first login and then put that URL into your browser (NOT the Steam client). You need to be using an American card, naturally.

EDIT: I just got all the way to final "Are you really, really sure?" confirmation screen with a few Total War products using that link. Didn't buy anything though, because gently caress paying non-sale prices.

Oz_Bonus fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 11, 2013

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
That opens fine and I can even search for Rome II. Then I go to its page and I get the error again.

Edit: It appears to work just fine as long as I close the Steam client. If the Steam client is running, it IP blocks me.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 11, 2013

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Oz_Bonus posted:

I've had trouble buying a few things in Taiwan, but going to the above address fixes all of that. You may have to first login and then put that URL into your browser (NOT the Steam client). You need to be using an American card, naturally.

EDIT: I just got all the way to final "Are you really, really sure?" confirmation screen with a few Total War products using that link. Didn't buy anything though, because gently caress paying non-sale prices.

Yeah, that's the link I use. Customer service gave it to me after I emailed them saying I'm an American living in Taiwan trying to buy stuff with my American credit card. Never had a problem after that.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Oz_Bonus posted:

I had trouble buying things on Steam while in Korea, and this is the solution that Steam support gave me. It worked just fine for me too.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

So if it's Rome 2 you're after, there's at least one place in Guanghua Market you can buy it boxed and bilingual for like a little over NT$1000 if I remember right. And it says right on the box it can (and needs to) be activated on Steam. It also says it "cannot be sold outside of Taiwan, Hong Kong, and China", so I guess it must be a distribution thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
In Hong Kong, you can buy Total War games on gamersgate, which gives Steam codes.

edit:

Deep State of Mind fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 15, 2013