Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Clairetic posted:

I thought I was good at tanking in this game until I went up against Archaean Seismocratist (nightmare of course) and had to juggle multiple impairs.

"Pick ONE thing to die to, jeez!"

"Yeah this isn't working."

"I think I'm going to go do something else."

You know why you're ditching? Because you can't do it either, assholes!!!

What exactly was getting your team killed? What I see getting people killed in that fight is not understanding that everyone needs to have the ability to remove Rot Iron.

Edit: And I still don't understand why people are not willing to run these dungeons with other goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Clairetic posted:

I thought I was good at tanking in this game until I went up against Archaean Seismocratist (nightmare of course) and had to juggle multiple impairs.

Everyone needs an ability to remove Rot Iron, impair Fissure or Seismic Burst or whatever it's called.

That's really all there is to it. You shouldn't need to interrupt anything else.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Clairetic posted:

Hey, I have a tank build, I just don't use it because I have no idea how it works.

I admit I mostly quoted this to call attention to your name, though. What in the fucks, I thought I was clever.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.

HughGRect posted:

What exactly was getting your team killed? What I see getting people killed in that fight is not understanding that everyone needs to have the ability to remove Rot Iron.

Edit: And I still don't understand why people are not willing to run these dungeons with other goons.

Because there were only 3 other goons online at the time! (judging by the in-game chat channel #awful)

And it was me getting killed by Caldera or Shadow In Blood due to not interrupting it in time or trying to interrupt one of his other spells and stacking rising vigour or putting my interrupts on cooldown and pressing one that wasn't cooled down yet and by the time I noticed and pressed another one it was too late or I GLANCED because it's a hell dimension even though I have fever pitch and 689 hit and and or or and or

As for the name/pun/thing, it IS clever. So clever that two different nerds came up with it independently!

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 6, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Clairetic posted:

Because there were only 3 other goons online at the time! (judging by the in-game chat channel #awful)

And it was me getting killed by Caldera or Shadow In Blood due to not interrupting it in time or trying to interrupt one of his other spells and stacking rising vigour or putting my interrupts on cooldown and pressing one that wasn't cooled down yet and by the time I noticed and pressed another one it was too late or I GLANCED because it's a hell dimension even though I have fever pitch and 689 hit and and or or and or

As for the name/pun/thing, it IS clever. So clever that two different nerds came up with it independently!

Are you using Viper's Castbar Relocator? Because it really makes impairing poo poo borderline effortless.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Clairetic posted:

Don't use #awful for groups.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Len posted:

Don't use #awful for groups.

This.

Use mumble if you want to do anything with goons.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I was hesitant about Mumble at first but then I joined and everyone begrudging tolerates me!

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Are you using Viper's Castbar Relocator? Because it really makes impairing poo poo borderline effortless.
Wow, it blinks and makes a noise and everything! That's part of it, now I just have to keep track of cooldowns and notice glancing sooner.

Mumble is my least favourite voip client but I will go annoy them anyway.

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 6, 2013

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I bought this - or someone bought it for me, I honestly don't remember - a long time ago and never actually played it. I have a week off so I'm looking to just dive in and see the story; probably have no real intention of grinding anything in endgame.

Are goons still on Grim, and are there any MUST KNOW FACTS that I... must know before starting? I read the first few and last few pages of the thread and didn't see anything in particular.

edit - jesus christ how big is this client?

Kessel fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 6, 2013

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Kessel posted:

I bought this - or someone bought it for me, I honestly don't remember - a long time ago and never actually played it. I have a week off so I'm looking to just dive in and see the story; probably have no real intention of grinding anything in endgame.

Are goons still on Grim, and are there any MUST KNOW FACTS that I... must know before starting? I read the first few and last few pages of the thread and didn't see anything in particular.

Client is big but the real problem is that the download direct from Funcom is very slow.

The dimension doesn't matter for anything you should care about. Most goons are on Grim but you can play with anyone on any dimension.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Kessel posted:

If you have a buddy you can duo this game with I honestly can't recommend it enough. The investigation missions are some of the most fun I've ever had in an MMO and going in with a bro blind and bouncing ideas off each other prevents you from getting frustrated and makes the whole process that much more rewarding.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Well, you guys were not joking about the download speed. The client is currently downloading at an eye-searing 100kb per sec. At this rate I'll be able to join all of you in-game in... oh, say a few days or so.

Is Funcom just too cheap to mirror its client on Akamai servers or what?

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

FYI the client is also available via Steam.

Edit: It's also 40-odd gigs.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
30-something, and IIRC it downloads like 16.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Somedays I remember why I like this game.

And because I'm incredibly immature...

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kessel posted:

The game's pretty fun even if you're doing it mostly solo because the quests and writing are great, plus a lot of the voice acting is really awesome (and all the non-item quests are voice-acted). I think you'll also really like the ability system given how much time you spend theorycrafting your engineer in GW2 :v:

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

It even has Peter Stormare, and everyone loves Peter Stormare.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Joel is doing a thing tomorrow. This could be neat but it's going to be stupid questions courtesy of dumb pubbies.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Len posted:

Joel is doing a thing tomorrow. This could be neat but it's going to be stupid questions courtesy of dumb pubbies.

I bet you can't really ask him anything! I doubt he'd be happy with EvilBillMurray-related questions.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

guppy posted:

I bet you can't really ask him anything! I doubt he'd be happy with EvilBillMurray-related questions.

I say we goon rush and ask about bugs. All the bugs. Every single possible bug we've ever encountered. Let's just flood the hugbox.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Len posted:

They do something similar every month, here is something I posted asking some questions that the real community wanted answered.

Here was his responses to stupid pubbie questions, here.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

HughGRect posted:

They do something similar every month, here is something I posted asking some questions that the real community wanted answered.

Here was his responses to stupid pubbie questions, here.

I like question 9 because I know the general testlive opinion is just to update chronicle post rocket launcher. According to that there are no other aux weapons.

Len fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 7, 2013

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

guppy posted:

I'll ask if he sings in the shower. And about that stupid Diode.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

I'd appreciate your patience, I just need to rant for a bit.

I hate PuGs. God, do I hate PuGs. It's hard enough to get a Dungeon group together, and then you have to tolerate asshats in order to pick up those pretty BoP blues. Wanting to run The Ankh recently, I get invited to a group as a tank and the invitee says "hey don't worry if we pull aggro we're in purples." before I'm halfway to the Dungeon.

I should have dropped group right then and there.

If you've played MMORPGs enough, you know many of the ways that a PuG falls apart. Often it's more about group structure and communication than anything. Let me break that statement down: "we" is a problem in and of itself. "We" usually means "I do DPS and my girlfriend heals me." Which means they're not used to working with others, do not understand how a 5-man is designed and usually works, and I'm not likely to be the one healed as the tank. Secondly, telling the group that you'll be pulling aggro at the inception is just a lovely thing to say. DPS shouldn't look at pulling aggro as a badge of how awesome you are with all the sweet damage you're doing, but a party wipe in the offing. And no one cares about your gear.

:sigh: So we get in and it goes predictably, with me dropping more frequently than pancakes dropped by a IHOP line cook with palsy. Mouthy DPS guy is getting most of the heals and acting lordly.

We manage to batter our way through to the end boss area, and the newbie who keeps getting lost states that she died right at the beginning of the last battle. I tell her that's not a wise thing to say after winning two of the exact same BOP blues off of the last boss.

After multiple attempts (and me dying from lack of heals), we finally down the last boss. Net for me: a few greens, no blues, and a repair bill in the mid-ten thousands.

Frankly, I think I'm mad because I didn't say something at the time. But that's the crux, get the good items in dungeons by tolerating idiots, or grind PVE alone. It's not always that bad, but there do seem to be a lot of DPShitheads in TSW.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kumo posted:

I hate PuGs. God, do I hate PuGs. It's hard enough to get a Dungeon group together, and then you have to tolerate asshats in order to pick up those pretty BoP blues. Wanting to run The Ankh recently, I get invited to a group as a tank and the invitee says "hey don't worry if we pull aggro we're in purples." before I'm halfway to the Dungeon.

If you've played MMORPGs enough, you know many of the ways that a PuG falls apart. Often it's more about group structure and communication than anything. Let me break that statement down: "we" is a problem in and of itself. "We" usually means "I do DPS and my girlfriend heals me." Which means they're not used to working with others, do not understand how a 5-man is designed and usually works, and I'm not likely to be the one healed as the tank. Secondly, telling the group that you'll be pulling aggro at the inception is just a lovely thing to say. DPS shouldn't look at pulling aggro as a badge of how awesome you are with all the sweet damage you're doing, but a party wipe in the offing. And no one cares about your gear.

:sigh: So we get in and it goes predictably, with me dropping more frequently than pancakes dropped by a IHOP line cook with palsy. Mouthy DPS guy is getting most of the heals and acting lordly.

We manage to batter our way through to the end boss area, and the newbie who keeps getting lost states that she died right at the beginning of the last battle. I tell her that's not a wise thing to say after winning two of the exact same BOP blues off of the last boss.

After multiple attempts (and me dying from lack of heals), we finally down the last boss. Net for me: a few greens, no blues, and a repair bill in the mid-ten thousands.

Frankly, I think I'm mad because I didn't say something at the time. But that's the crux, get the good items in dungeons by tolerating idiots, or grind PVE alone. It's not always that bad, but there do seem to be a lot of DPShitheads in TSW.

I'm not against slumming it in elites to help people out. Add me ingame as EvilBillMurray and on steam as roxormancer. I can probably even shake up a couple others to get you geared up for gatekeeper.

elhondo
Sep 20, 2012
Grimey Drawer
You mean Ankh normal, not elite, right? If that's the case, run it as dps, and just skip tanking it, until you don't need anything.

The progression for tanks moves smoothly from Polaris->HR->DW, but for Ankh, the gear from DW won't cut it. You pretty much need the drops from Ankh to run Ankh.

And I have the same complaints about end-game geared pubbies "helping" on normal runs. They should suck it up and just tank instead of trying to dps and wrecking any possibility of a balanced group.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
The last tentacle died, hooray!

Currently there's no new mission, no one knows what to do, and Agartha died due to lag.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

Kumo posted:

Step 1: Slot misdirect
Step 2: Use it on the person getting all the heals
Step 3: Use a bunch of high-threat abilities

Congratulations, your pubbie idiot is now the tank :)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

elhondo posted:

You mean Ankh normal, not elite, right? If that's the case, run it as dps, and just skip tanking it, until you don't need anything.

The progression for tanks moves smoothly from Polaris->HR->DW, but for Ankh, the gear from DW won't cut it. You pretty much need the drops from Ankh to run Ankh.

And I have the same complaints about end-game geared pubbies "helping" on normal runs. They should suck it up and just tank instead of trying to dps and wrecking any possibility of a balanced group.
But DW blues and Egypt zone drops really are enough to tank Ankh normal :colbert:

Dead Ops is a challenge but other than gear there's always spec (a lot of people do these normal dungeons with terrible builds) and execution (what do you mean single target and focus fire? using cooldowns? not blanketing the group with HoTs while the tank pulls?) which can be tweaked too.

Obviously if too many people in a group play badly, good luck. Healers not paying attention and healing the wrong people/no one, DPS being in love with their "mad deeps" they turn every fight into a clusterfuck, not really a thing you can fix easily. Gear can mask some issues, but then I've been in groups where elite geared people couldn't do more than 200 DPS and would get mad if you suggested improvements. These kinds of players are in all MMOs and it sucks.

Which is why you join Mumble and ask the remaining goons for help.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah orcane's got the right of it. I did Ankh in level-appropriate gear with a similarly equipped group and it was fine.

elhondo
Sep 20, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Hmm, I think I'm not being clear... I mean if you're just pugging dungeons, you can pretty much hop into Polaris and gear up there, and jump straight into pugging HR, then DW.

In a balanced patient group, the drops from DW might be enough (though, as you say, that one encounter is going to be skin of your teeth).

But that's not what pugs usually are, and why, as a tank, you need to be overgeared, or just skip it. It's a bitch to pug it as a level appropriate tank, even if you know the encounter.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Do manifestations no longer advance Elemental Force?

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Cheston posted:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Cheston posted:

They haven't for awhile now

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
So I've played this for a bit, mostly just following the main story except for when I needed better gear to kill stuff. I just got to Blue Mountain, and this doesn't seem very interesting so far. I can forgive the combat for not being very complicated, but so far the story is just THERE ARE ZOMBIES repeated in various ways. Or well, I liked the part with finding the secret Illuminati places in Kingsmouth, but otherwise I really don't see what's so interesting about the writing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Elswyyr posted:

So I've played this for a bit, mostly just following the main story except for when I needed better gear to kill stuff. I just got to Blue Mountain, and this doesn't seem very interesting so far. I can forgive the combat for not being very complicated, but so far the story is just THERE ARE ZOMBIES repeated in various ways. Or well, I liked the part with finding the secret Illuminati places in Kingsmouth, but otherwise I really don't see what's so interesting about the writing.

The Kingsmouth main story is basically zombies until late Blue Mountain. It's the other missions that pick up the slack on story.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Len posted:

The Kingsmouth main story is basically zombies until late Blue Mountain. It's the other missions that pick up the slack on story.

I guess I might stick around some more. I got a "Dungeon Mission" too, saying I need 5 people to do it. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any LFG tool, at all. Ugh.

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.

Elswyyr posted:

I guess I might stick around some more. I got a "Dungeon Mission" too, saying I need 5 people to do it. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any LFG tool, at all. Ugh.

There's an LFG tool, you gotta press Shift+C (I believe) to bring it up or just hit the top-left game menu and select the option.

I think I enjoyed Kingsmouth and the last area of the game the most, the 2nd area had too much walking around and sameness for me (although I was unaware of the /reset bootleg quick travel option at the time). The DLC was awesome though and Said is one of my favorite characters (and Nassir too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Elswyyr posted:

Are you doing the missions NPCs give you? If you are, especially the investigations, then the game might not be for you.

• Locked thread