Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

ANGRYGREEK posted:

Speaking of, are there two playmodes? Free-roam and "mission lobby" or something?

There's a free-roam which acts as a lobby, it has some ambient events (steal these cars for Simeon, grab this air-drop weapons crate, fight off a single wave of gang members), but most of the structured game-modes (co-op missions, deathmatch, races, etc.) are fenced off in their own instanced worlds that don't interact with free-roam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnnyonoes
Feb 4, 2008
Hates people, but likes groups
Here are some tips for not losing your character. I've had a few close calls and I have lost money when the matchmaking "cloud" fails, I also lost a character early on. Ever since using these tips, I haven't lost anything.

1.) Never access GTAO from the title screen. Go to options->Choose character from single player. Retry is safe from this point.

2.) When match making is broken, ie can't start/join jobs. Do not make large purchases on non-character gear. Ie cars and Apartments.

3.) When you wish to logout, go back into single player mode, which forces your character to be saved.

I have no idea if these are failsafe, but while everyone else has been losing their characters this week, mine has been fine.

It is worth noting how the folks that are losing characters are logging in and out, so that others don't repeat it.

TerryCheesecake
Aug 2, 2003
-
Anyone on 360 grinding cash? Gt is TashSenior

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

You got lucky, I did all of this stuff every time I played online and lost my level 21 the other day.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Johnnyonoes posted:

Here are some tips for not losing your character. I've had a few close calls and I have lost money when the matchmaking "cloud" fails, I also lost a character early on. Ever since using these tips, I haven't lost anything.

1.) Never access GTAO from the title screen. Go to options->Choose character from single player. Retry is safe from this point.

2.) When match making is broken, ie can't start/join jobs. Do not make large purchases on non-character gear. Ie cars and Apartments.

3.) When you wish to logout, go back into single player mode, which forces your character to be saved.

I have no idea if these are failsafe, but while everyone else has been losing their characters this week, mine has been fine.

It is worth noting how the folks that are losing characters are logging in and out, so that others don't repeat it.

I access Online from the Loading screen and I dashboard to exit.

No problems so far. :hurr:

ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

If you meet the Storm Spirit on the lane, gank him.

Brasseye posted:

You got lucky, I did all of this stuff every time I played online and lost my level 21 the other day.

Yeah, you pretty much cannot bring rhyme or reason to the mythical entity that is The Cloud. The only thing that seems to be consistent is that mostly players who play for a larger amount of time online seem to be the victims, so it might have something to do with the "act" of logging onto the cloud servers. This might be a coincidence, too, anyway.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

ANGRYGREEK posted:

Yeah, you pretty much cannot bring rhyme or reason to the mythical entity that is The Cloud. The only thing that seems to be consistent is that mostly players who play for a larger amount of time online seem to be the victims, so it might have something to do with the "act" of logging onto the cloud servers. This might be a coincidence, too, anyway.

It's coincidence as thus far I seem to have survived longer than anyone on my friends list. I'm due any day now I just know it

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

iRend posted:

I haven't raced with a single pubbie who hasn't tried to ram me off the road. Offensive driving is the only way.

Nice rationalization.

Goons might as well be pubbies these days, and ramming being a valid (and sometimes successful) strategy should be limited to GTA Race . But yeah, that's not gonna happen.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

There's a radio ad in the game (not sure which station) that pokes fun at how ridiculous it is to have faith in a cloud-based service. I heard it after doing the tutorial with my third character.

THE JORY
Jul 28, 2012

So I bought some cars awhile ago and stored them in a garage. Then they disappeared but I just chalked it up to the game not saving. But today I bought some cars, saved it and rejoined and they weren't there. I know the game saved because I'm missing the money I spent on the cars. Any ideas what I should do?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Probably wait a week or so before buying any more cars. Things might be better!

At least the game is still fun.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Stop buying cars and hope you don't lose more than just the vehicles!

Innovacious
Jun 27, 2012

Drink Lucozade to keep your energy maintained!
Is using Lester to locate a car just totally random? I used it and he stuck a random marker the other side of the city, got there and it was just a quad bike.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!

Innovacious posted:

Is using Lester to locate a car just totally random? I used it and he stuck a random marker the other side of the city, got there and it was just a quad bike.

He did the exact same thing for me. Seems completely pointless!

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Aishan posted:

Do the pedal bikes spawn anywhere in the open world, or do we have to buy them?

They do spawn out in the world but I'm not sure if you can save them in your garage. They're not very expensive to buy from the website anyways.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I lost my free starter vehicle completely, lost my Voltic twice but managed to trick the game to get it back, don't want it to happen again.

I take too much pleasure in this baby. (buy armour upgrades for your vehicles, they help a crapload. LV30 = 40% armour)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 8, 2013

Captain Snaps
Jul 27, 2003

Maintol!

MrLonghair posted:

I lost my free starter vehicle completely, lost my Voltic twice but managed to trick the game to get it back, don't want it to happen again.

I take too much pleasure in this baby.

I want to like this car, but there is something really off about the way it handles. I always seem to go airborne way more easily than I should driving it, like it's mass in game is bugged or something.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Hey, so someone mentioned you were able to send people text messages in-game, but I can't figure out how to do it. Any tips and tricks for unlocking this secret?

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Hey, so someone mentioned you were able to send people text messages in-game, but I can't figure out how to do it. Any tips and tricks for unlocking this secret?

You have to be in the same session as them, then just bring up your phone and go to contacts, find their name then 'Send Message'.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

bonzibuddy64 posted:

They have to be in the same session as you and you go into your contact list on the phone and select Send Message when you select someone

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I've gotten started building my tricked out goon carrier:

Haven't unlocked any armor beyond 20% yet, but it does have bulletproof tyres at least, so that's something, right? :shobon:

bonzibuddy64 posted:

They have to be in the same session as you, then you just select their name in the contacts list and it should be an option.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Noooo my cars have vanished :(

MrLonghair posted:

managed to trick the game to get it back

How did you do that?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Captain Snaps posted:

I want to like this car, but there is something really off about the way it handles. I always seem to go airborne way more easily than I should driving it, like it's mass in game is bugged or something.

It's got too much power to weight really, in single-player I will fly and flip driving up to the highway on-ramps when it crests.

my new dog posted:

How did you do that?

I only managed to get my Voltic back while it was set to be in the garage, the first time it wasn't in the garage at all and the mechanic complained so I went and check it out and my heart sank. Sold a vehicle to the mod shop, drove around a bit, called him for another error, return once more and it was there.

Second time I simply had to go to the garage and sure enough there it was, the mechanic was jerking off on the job and not making himself worth his pay.

A garage or even a home is extra insurance, because when I lost my bike it was outside of the garage which happened to have two vehicles in it. Exited and suddenly no more bike.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
My character in the first slot is almost certainly lost to the void never to return so gently caress it, I started over in the second slot (I can't stay mad at this game). It's still alive for now although the character portrait on the social club seems a bit confused.

I'm gonna have to call bullshit on the bad sport warning they gave me too because it decided to dump me out of the game while it was loading free roam after a job. It said I was kicked by the other players (not very likely) but then blames me for "quitting" the job before it was finished. gently caress you game!

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

Aishan posted:

They do spawn semi reliably in some places, and you see people riding them in places you'd expect them to. I can't remember exactly where it is, but there's often some parked at the hypermarket thing off the highway (I think it's along the Sonora Freeway?). If you can be bothered to head out that far, that is.

Often in places with ramps or dirt tracks there are people riding them.

edit: if anyone knows whether or not the Pfister Comet can be saved in the garage, that would be nice to know. I'm assuming not, but I don't think you can purchase it either.

I've only seen one of them 'in the wild' since playing GTA V.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 8, 2013

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Longbaugh01 posted:

Nice rationalization.

Goons might as well be pubbies these days, and ramming being a valid (and sometimes successful) strategy should be limited to GTA Race . But yeah, that's not gonna happen.

I drive defensively and keep faith in pubbies to not understand how to slow down before taking a corner and totally wipe out. Also causing someone to spin out when they try to ram you from behind is a beautiful feeling. :getin:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

Nice rationalization.

Do you want us to bow before shooting too?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

iRend posted:

I haven't raced with a single pubbie who hasn't tried to ram me off the road. Offensive driving is the only way.

I'm really bad about this, less intentionally ramming and more "I'm focusing on what's coming up and not really looking at my car". I crashed into someone during a plane race last night and felt horrible about it. I'm just bad at this! :(

Edit: That being said, as soon as someone so much as bumps me, I'm going no holds barred, P.I.T. maneuvers on the remaining drivers.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Just created a new 360 crew for goons. Posted it in the private servers thread but thought I'd post it here too.

SOMETHING AUTO

Wanted to design an emblem that would look good in game and have an immediately recognizable tag for us all, plus I think a few of the other crews filled up with people before online came out so there's a lot of member who haven't even played the game.

Ask for invites in the crew thread and I'll add you ASAP.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 8, 2013

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hm even the little car icon in my "hardware access" is greyed out :/ At least it's not my character that's gone missing

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I really like how you can chose color combinations for pearlescent paint jobs. If only we could get decal layers I'd probably blow my cash on modding constantly.

Greenlit
Dec 16, 2004

A commonborn squire
takes the reins of a knightly order, and leads a wayward kingdom from the midst
of chaos. The masses yearn for a hero. I give them what they wish.

Aishan posted:

There's always one behind CJ's place on Grove Street

THE JORY
Jul 28, 2012

the truth posted:

Probably wait a week or so before buying any more cars. Things might be better!

At least the game is still fun.

Yeah, figured as much. And hey! At least it's just some cars and not my character right?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

:siren: You can use all weapons from, say, a Maverick if you approach the slide door and double-tap Y. This is also how you latch onto SUVs, probably. :siren:

Lanth posted:

And SplitSoul, I am usually a better driver than that, honest! :rice:

It was fun while it lasted, but I now know that Cargobobs are rank-specific spawns. I'm amazed at how long we survived at Fort Zancudo, though.

Also felt pretty badass to whack that guy at the edge of the map from a helicopter.

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank

PriorMarcus posted:

Just created a new 360 crew for goons. Posted it in the private servers thread but thought I'd post it here too.

I mainly just wanted one with an emblem I thought would look cool in game and the tag GOON.

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/something_auto_

If people think it's worth it I can create a metatag too. I feel like that might make it easier to get goon games going.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

My guy needed a crushing pubbies mobile so it now has bulletproof tyres more mods to come

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

My guy needed a crushing pubbies mobile so it now has bulletproof tyres more mods to come

Can additional players get into the bed of trucks?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Hell yeah, truck crew represent! I'm in a deep purple Karin Rebel who's headlights explode in a slight breeze but asides from that it runs fuckers off the road. That's the bigger one, right?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

marktheando posted:

I don't understand why anyone is grinding anything right now when your character could disappear at any moment!

Money doesn't disappear. Also I'd bet most of us haven't lost characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
If you see someone driving in the high priority vehicle for Simeon haul rear end to the docks. Park your car in front of the garagedoor and hide behind the concrete barriers so you have a nice view of the garage. Call Lester, wait for the guy to enter the docks. Have Lester make you invisible on the radar (lasts 1 minute), when the guy arrives he will have to get out to move your vehicle, after he has done that, kill him, steal the vehicle and deliver it. Done it twice so far and it's probable the most fun I've had yet online.

• Locked thread