Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Dr Tran posted:

Rewatch Life of Pi.

Also, have you set up youtube to play on TV? Pair your youtube account with the TV, then fire up the TV's youtube app. On your computer, when you want to fullscreen a video, there will be another option to watch on your TV. This works on tablets and phones as well, but I don't have anything that fancy.

Have not, will play around with this later, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

I bought an LG 60PN6500 Plasma as my first plasma, I use it as a HTPC with Windows 7, whenever I'm watching a full screen video where the taskbar normally is there's a faint line all the way across the screen. Is this what burn in is? If so is using one of those 8 hour long youtube videos of randomly flashing lights capable of fixing it?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
:stare:

It might be salvageable. Any fullscreen video played long enough should help get rid of it, provided it hasn't become permanent.

Some suggestions going forward:
- You should set the Taskbar to Autohide
- Set your videoplayer software to "always be on top"
- Play videos fullscreen whenever possible
- Turn off your TV when not using it
- Have the screen saver set to turn on after a few hours
- Have your TV set to auto-dim/turn off after a few hours if possible

Semi-related anecdote from CNET on a few 2012 TVs: Cnet's accidental plasma burn-in test.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 8, 2013

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

God drat that cnet article has me worried. After only 8 hours they had burn in and I know I've had the taskbar there for a loooong time. I guess I'll just have to see if it fixes tonight while using one of those videos.

The cnet article says it isn't covered under warranty but it's been less than 30 days since I ordered it from Amazon so I could probably get them to take it back and get an LED instead, or would that be a dick move since this is my own fault for not knowing how quickly burn in can set in?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Plasma image burn is never covered under company warranties (according to Wikipedia :pseudo: ), but Amazon has some of the greatest customer service in the world.

If anyone would accept damage not due to transport/handling/defective... -ness?, it's them.
The worst that could happen is they'll say no, and you'll just have to run vids for a day to see how much of the afterimage you can fix.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 8, 2013

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Speaking of htpc's, that's going to be my main use as well. Are modern aftermarket graphics cards capable of the 240hz refresh rate all the sales people are trying to convince me is nessecary? Is it even worth it for htpc application?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Gozinbulx posted:

Speaking of htpc's, that's going to be my main use as well. Are modern aftermarket graphics cards capable of the 240hz refresh rate all the sales people are trying to convince me is nessecary? Is it even worth it for htpc application?

Your TV only accepts up to 60hz

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Don Lapre posted:

Your TV only accepts up to 60hz

Isn't that a fact of the current hdmi spec or something? I mean in general. I was sort of passively reading about that (because I have my 240hz tv hooked up to my computer as well and could only go to 60hz on the computer) and I swear I saw something about hdmi <2.0 being the limiting factor. Is that so?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bad Munki posted:

Isn't that a fact of the current hdmi spec or something? I mean in general. I was sort of passively reading about that (because I have my 240hz tv hooked up to my computer as well and could only go to 60hz on the computer) and I swear I saw something about hdmi <2.0 being the limiting factor. Is that so?

There isn't anything that uses 120hz so there really isn't a need for it. the 240hz your tv advertises has to do with the display refresh, not the input source.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Do you mean that even the highest end tv that has 480 or something is simply taking a 60hz signal and duplicating the frames? Is that good? Is it worth it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

Do you mean that even the highest end tv that has 480 or something is simply taking a 60hz signal and duplicating the frames? Is that good? Is it worth it?

Yes.

Even if you did have a 120hz input, there is no point in having one, as video sources are 24/30/60

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Ok last question: Does interpolated 240hz (60hz being replicated 4 times) actually look better? Is it noticiable?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gozinbulx posted:

Ok last question: Does interpolated 240hz (60hz being replicated 4 times) actually look better? Is it noticiable?

It is certainly noticeable.

Most think it looks worse except for a few specific things (Sports mostly.)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

240hz is the same thing as TrueMotion, right? If so, yes, it's loving garbage. Don't buy a TV based on that.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

240hz is the same thing as TrueMotion, right? If so, yes, it's loving garbage. Don't buy a TV based on that.

No its not.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TrueMotion is a brand name (LG's, I think?) for motion interpolation. A 240Hz refresh rate allows motion interpolation, but they are not actually the same thing.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
So non-motion interporlated 240hz still looks worse to some?

Whatever, I'm not gonna pay extra for it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

motion interpolation and the hz are two different things. Higher hz means the tv is refreshing faster and this can reduce motion blur. There is no reason to avoid a higher hz tv.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Gozinbulx posted:

Personally I think it's loving awesome in certain content like modern action movies and sports. Saying this as someone who previously thought it was the dumbest thing ever, but I also used to say "HD? Meh" when it was new.

Worst case you can turn off the effect if you really hate it. I'd say give it a shot with a wide variety of content. Some definitely looks worse but that's when you start noticing poo poo like good cinematography and acting and camera angles. Breaking Bad did not suffer on a rewatch with the soap opera effect.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Don Tacorleone posted:

Personally I think it's loving awesome in certain content like modern action movies and sports. Saying this as someone who previously thought it was the dumbest thing ever, but I also used to say "HD? Meh" when it was new.

Worst case you can turn off the effect if you really hate it. I'd say give it a shot with a wide variety of content. Some definitely looks worse but that's when you start noticing poo poo like good cinematography and acting and camera angles. Breaking Bad did not suffer on a rewatch with the soap opera effect.

I thought I had heard there were some TV's that you can't turn off the interpolation? If so, you might want to look into that if you hate it to make sure you don't get one that way.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Got my Vizio M401i-A3 tonight. Had it on for about an hour and a half. Tried watching TV, built in Netflix and playing GTAV with it. All look a lot nicer than my previous 40" Dynex LCD did. This thing is super thin, too, and doesn't even get warm to the touch. This is gonna save so much on my energy bill. I love it :neckbeard:

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

Just picked up an LG 55LM9600 for $1250 last night at Newegg. Must have gotten one of the last ones because it was unsurprisingly sold out within an hour of my order. Seems to have some quality control issues based on the large discrepancy in reviews, but worst case scenario I can return in. If I get a good set though, it sure feels good to pay $1250 for a TV that's been sold for $3500--especially in Canada, where it seems so much harder to find deep discounts--even if it's not quite good enough to justify that price. Definitely recommend Newegg for anyone looking for a good deal in Canada. Also, the 5mm bezel is absolutely gorgeous:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gozinbulx posted:

No, I was combining them because that's usually what people mean when they ask. Don Lapre is correct though, they're not really the same thing.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Got the 55 inch e-series vizio. Haven't gotten a chance to watch hd content on it but I like it.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Panasonic isn't going to make plasmas anymore. :smith:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So the ST60 is the last hurrah? I'm going to be pretty dang sad if prices go up, I'm looking for a TV sometime in Nov / Dec after I move.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I'm having a harder time finding reviews on a 22" tv so I can have a nice tv in the kitchen and turn around to five the breakfast room table.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Just wanted to say that the potential burn in was completely fixed with one night of one of those youtube color flashing videos. I'd probably guestimate that I'd left my screen with a static taskbar for around 100 hours starting from the beginning with no 'break in' time spent so it's probably the worst case scenario for burn in but no lasting effects.

The bad thing is that unless I auto-hide taskbar, even if I put it at the top of the screen instead of bottom, after 5-6 hours there's a new burn in line across the screen. It gets fixed after a few hours but it's reaaally annoying. It also produces a lot of heat which the OP warns about but I didn't think it'd be anywhere near this bad. Wish I'd just gotten an LED.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just out of curiosity, what are you doing with your computer hooked up to the screen that the taskbar is just sitting there for 5-6 hours? I was trying to think of common use cases where that might be the case, but everything except "browsing the web" leads to more dynamic full screen content than that.

Well, everything except that and "not using it at all, the tv is just on displaying an idle desktop," in which case, turn it off, have the display sleep, or turn on a screensaver (even just a plain black screen one.)

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

That's pretty much it, web surfing / chatting, I just had spinal surgery so I can sit here for hours doing nothing but that, by the time I actually start watching something in full screen the problem has reappeared.

The weird thing is that it's not actually the full taskbar that gets burned in, it's that tiny little sliver of white that is at the top of it right before it goes into your desktop background. It's really not terrible but once I see it I don't stop seeing it :firstworldproblems:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay, fair enough. Not sure what to tell you, then. Maybe "don't have a plasma?" :v:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Or ask the HTPC thread what the best front-end for viewing videos is (XBMC, Plex, etc.) in that situation.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Well, crap. I've been happy with my 42" Panasonic 2005 model, but maybe it's finally time to get something bigger/newer. Main problem for me is I have lots of old AV gear that new displays just don't have inputs/outputs for. It kills me that a new $1000 TV doesn't have analog stereo outputs, multiple component inputs, etc. I shudder to think what horrible adapters I'm going to need.

Edit: holy poo poo they make s-video to HDMI adapters? I had no idea.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 10, 2013

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006

Number_6 posted:

Well, crap. I've been happy with my 42" Panasonic 2005 model, but maybe it's finally time to get something bigger/newer. Main problem for me is I have lots of old AV gear that new displays just don't have inputs/outputs for. It kills me that a new $1000 TV doesn't have analog stereo outputs, multiple component inputs, etc. I shudder to think what horrible adapters I'm going to need.

Edit: holy poo poo they make s-video to HDMI adapters? I had no idea.

I know it takes up some space but it might be an idea for you to get an AV amp with the inputs you need. It will make your life easier in the long run.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

They've been talking about it for quite some time unfortunately, OLED manufacturing will advance pretty quickly over the next 5 years. LCD will stick around for budget purposes but the few (often niche) advantages of plasma are totally surpassed by OLED and as a technology it has no room left to grow. Plasmas are often moved at clearance prices due to inexperienced sales staff and consumers desiring more energy efficient, thinner televisions. They're also a pain for retailers to display and stock compared to equivalents.

It sucks because we love our Panasonic plasmas, I just hope they don't die before affordable, similar sized OLED TVs comes to fruition.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 10, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah as much as Panasonic plasmas kick rear end, OLED manages to be even better. So as long as Panasonic will be focusing on that, I'm happy.

I blame all the terrible manufacturers of plasmas (eg: not Pioneer and Panasonic) who contributed to its failing with all the burn in and "dimming bulb" issues. Seriously, a friend of mine got permanent burn-in in less than a week watching sports on his Samsung plasma; I've had my Panasonic plasma since 2008 and almost exclusively watch 4:3 content on it and after all this time not even a hint of the black bars causing any issues. This sucks big time, but again, if I see a 50" OLED by Panasonic some day, it's worth it.

(Then I'll just wait for OLED to die because of marketing confusing it with :airquote: LED :airquote: TVs )

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Have they figured out how to make blue OLEDs that don't dim faster than red and green and cause your picture to turn piss yellow yet?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Have they figured out how to make blue OLEDs that don't dim faster than red and green and cause your picture to turn piss yellow yet?

There was definitely something called "LED rot" when they were first introduced. That was a few years ago, though.

Heard about "LED rot" with the GP2x Wiz but not with the Vita.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Tell your friend to turn his TV off instead of leaving it on 24 hours a day, and maybe he won't have burn in.
I own a Samsung, and I've used it as a Mac monitor, primary gaming TV, and watching 4:3 content, with no burn in at all. :colbert:

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I've read that manufacturers simply make the blue ones bigger/use more of them, as a matter of fact.

However, a guy who's opinion I reasonably trust said OLED panels are only rated for 3-5 years of use, like the old plasmas.
Given that and the early adopter prices :a2m:, I'd wait until 2015 for some kinks to be ironed out and mass production to drop prices.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

It makes sense. Alot of people associate Plasma's with burn in, higher energy costs, input lag, lower brightness compared to LED and being more expensive. The input lag on the Panasonic Plasma's was a huge deal breaker for me.