Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Gejimayu posted:

My favorite thing about This is the End is how the demons are drawn to people doing bad things. In the scene where Jonah is raped/possessed it's fairly obvious that the demon comes immediately after he wishes for Jay to die or w/e it was that he said in his prayer. Less obvious is that the big dog demon is drawn to Jay and Craig only after they start discussing leaving the others behind and staying in the new house.

One of the things I love is that it surprisingly adheres to this Old Testament school of morality. For something that's dismissed as a dumb comedy it takes everything entirely seriously.

One touch I liked from it is when the rapture happens, you can see someone in the background being pulled up through their car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm sure these from The World's End have been mentioned but I only saw it recently.[/spoiler]

I thought the whole thing with them calling him O-man and him hating it was because it's almost Omen, relating to the birthmark thing?

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

eating only apples posted:

I thought the whole thing with them calling him O-man and him hating it was because it's almost Omen, relating to the birthmark thing?

I'm confused by all these people saying it looked like a 6. It looked like an O, that was why they called him O-man. Where'd you guys get 6 from?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
From them specifically saying that in the movie

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I was wondering how they got to "O-man" from a 6, that's for sure, but then these are the same guys who started with Shakespeare and ended up with "let's Boo-Boo".

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
None of you have seen The Omen, have you?

Damien has a birthmark that spells out "666", an omen that he is the Antichrist. Ollie has a birthmark shaped like a 6 on his head.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

runchild posted:

I'm confused by all these people saying it looked like a 6. It looked like an O, that was why they called him O-man. Where'd you guys get 6 from?

The top of the 6 went into his hairline.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I was wondering how they got to "O-man" from a 6, that's for sure, but then these are the same guys who started with Shakespeare and ended up with "let's Boo-Boo".

His name is also Ollie, so it's a double reference. O(llie)-man refers to both his real name, in a way you'd probably hear kids do anyway, as well as sounding like "omen" for the 666 reference.

I thought it was kind of cute, and because it's something I've heard people do a lot it took me a bit to get the "omen" connection.

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
There's a great little moment related to that when they have the discussion with their old teacher mid-way through the movie. Near the end of the conversation, Mr. Shepherd looks over at Ollie and calls him O-man, even though nobody calls him that any more, because from where he's sitting he can see the restored birthmark and is reminded of the nickname. It's not a big secret that Ollie's been taken but that's a nice little slip to put into the conversation, and it might be what prompts Andy to look for the mark a few moments later.

And how did it take me this long to notice that the main characters' last names are King, Prince, Knightley, Chamberlain and Page.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Apparently Arnold Schwarzenegger doesn't blink at all in Terminator 2.

That's not true.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Did you know that in an effort to bring verisimilitude to his role as Sonny in "I, Robot," Alan Tudyk didn't blink at all during the entire motion capture process, or the vocal recording.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Ryan Gosling has never blinked. They have to CGI it into movies so he doesn't look unnerving.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Speaking of names, that's a pretty good one for a teacher. Also for a blank who tries to convince them to submit peacefully, of course.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

HOW COULD YOU posted:

That's not true.

Could be confusing the fact that one of the reasons Robert Patrick was picked for the role was he was able to fire the guns without blinking or flinching. It's done well, and looks pretty unnatural.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
To be fair, with enough training you can learn not to blink/flinch when using firearms. I can't find it now but Jackie Chan talked about how he'd prepare to use guns in his movies. He said he'd fire a couple (blanks) in a safe direction before filming to get used to the noise the gun would make, so that when the cameras rolled he wouldn't flinch.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
In The Departed, Sullivan (Damon) is suffering from erectile dysfunction. His girlfriend even straight up says "You want to talk about last night? It happens to a lot of guys..." and then later on Sullivan talks to Ellerby (Baldwin) about marriage -

Ellerby - "People see the ring, think at least someone can stand him.
Ladies see the ring, they know you must have some cash and your cock must work."

Sullivan - "Yeah, it's working. Overtime."

OH NO IT IS NOT, SULLIVAN, YET ANOTHER THING YOU LIE ABOUT!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Coffee And Pie posted:

Ryan Gosling has never blinked. They have to CGI it into movies so he doesn't look unnerving.

He's also never eaten cereal.

Tumble posted:

In The Departed, Sullivan (Damon) is suffering from erectile dysfunction. His girlfriend even straight up says "You want to talk about last night? It happens to a lot of guys..." and then later on Sullivan talks to Ellerby (Baldwin) about marriage -

Ladies see the ring, they know you must have some cash and your cock must work."

Sullivan was gay is the theory I heard that I liked the most.

Frostwerks has a new favorite as of 23:33 on Oct 8, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tumble posted:

Not exactly subtle but Sullivan, the criminal who is pretending to be a cop, is having trouble getting it up while Costigan, the cop who is pretending to be a criminal, has no issues. Also its never directly stated but you can guess that Costigan was the one who actually got Sullivan's girlfriend pregnant.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Tumble posted:

Not quite, his girlfriend shows him ultrasound pictures, to which he has a typical reaction. So he may have had trouble getting it up at first, but he must be okay now since he wasn't perplexed about how she got pregnant

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I was happy to note that in Riddick there is a part where several characters are riding their hoverbikes through the dark, and Riddick's doesn't have its headlight on. In a pretty straightforward action flick I was surprised to see that little touch

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

FreshFeesh posted:

I was happy to note that in Riddick there is a part where several characters are riding their hoverbikes through the dark, and Riddick's doesn't have its headlight on. In a pretty straightforward action flick I was surprised to see that little touch

I was actually pleasantly surprised by Riddick. Sure, it's more or less just a vehicle for Vin Diesel's buffness and gruffness, but how can you not love how completely ridiculous the whole thing is?

The whole machete kill scene could only work in a movie like that, Riddick is just that much of a badass.

I will admit that I have somewhat of a mancrush on mr. Diesel, though. He's like the coolest nerd ever. He wrote the foreword to a book commemorating the 30 year anniversary of D&D, that's some serious nerd-cred right there.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 05:44 on Oct 11, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

KozmoNaut posted:

I will admit that I have somewhat of a mancrush on mr. Diesel, though. He's like the coolest nerd ever. He wrote the foreword to a book commemorating the 30 year anniversary of D&D, that's some serious nerd-cred right there.

Yeah, he's admitted that he's played D&D for over 20 years. I believe he actually DMed a game for the principal cast on Chronicles of Riddick, which must have been one hell of a thing to see.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

He also has his DnD character's name tattooed on him, IIRC.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Jedit posted:

Yeah, he's admitted that he's played D&D for over 20 years. I believe he actually DMed a game for the principal cast on Chronicles of Riddick, which must have been one hell of a thing to see.

The legend goes that he DMed a game, and Dame Judi Dench got really into it.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Calaveron posted:

The legend goes that he DMed a game, and Dame Judi Dench got really into it.

I wonder if she used that knowledge to let Daniel Craig know that 7 is a terrible role. :v:

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

OilSlick posted:

Not quite, his girlfriend shows him ultrasound pictures, to which he has a typical reaction. So he may have had trouble getting it up at first, but he must be okay now since he wasn't perplexed about how she got pregnant

It could just be a situation where it comes and goes. He could be successful sometimes and unable to perform at others, which might almost be more frustrating.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

quote:

Well you're in luck my friend as Vin is a bit of a homosexual but he his it due to the image he likes to maintain. So as long as your discreet you might be able to see his wizards staff up close and personal.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

notaspy posted:

Well you're in luck my friend as Vin is a bit of a homosexual but he his it due to the image he likes to maintain. So as long as your discreet you might be able to see his wizards staff up close and personal.

Sure thing bro, that's probably why he keeps dating ridiculously hot women and has children and all that jazz, to cover it all up :rolleyes:

If I was into men and he was in fact homosexual, I totally would, though.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
At the same time he seems really cagey in interviews about the subject for no explainable reason. It's weird, when people ask him about his orientation, he goes off about how that shouldn't matter and people shouldn't worry about that, only his acting prowess. Then he'll do something weirder like say how noone ever questioned Cary Grant's sexuality, which is a funny and dumb thing to say, because people totally did, and it's pretty much accepted today that Grant was bi, and had male lovers between his wives.

Another fun fact about Vin is that before he was an actor he was a "professional" break dancer, and appears in an instructional video called "Breakin in the USA".

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

At the same time he seems really cagey in interviews about the subject for no explainable reason. It's weird, when people ask him about his orientation, he goes off about how that shouldn't matter and people shouldn't worry about that, only his acting prowess. Then he'll do something weirder like say how noone ever questioned Cary Grant's sexuality, which is a funny and dumb thing to say, because people totally did, and it's pretty much accepted today that Grant was bi, and had male lovers between his wives.

Another fun fact about Vin is that before he was an actor he was a "professional" break dancer, and appears in an instructional video called "Breakin in the USA".

Is it possible he genuinely thinks it's a dumb question?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Is it possible he genuinely thinks it's a dumb question?

The problem is that an actor being cagey about their sexual orientation has historically meant that they're gay.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

My favorite little thing about watching Vin Diesel movies is I can just watch them without wondering if he likes to gently caress guys.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

owl_pellet posted:

My favorite little thing about watching Vin Diesel movies is I can just watch them without wondering if he likes to gently caress guys.

Sorry you're too insulated to understand why a public figure lying about his sexuality is a thing that people might care about and might affect them. It's doubly stupid considering Vin Diesel produced a short film called Multi-Facial about his experiences with race affected his casting in movies and you're doing the sexuality equivalent of "who cares about race, I just treat everyone equally :angel:"

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
If I was a celebrity and I was asked that question I would respond the same way. I'm straight. It's a stupid question.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
Speaking of Vin Diesel there's a great little subtle moment in Pitch Black. Right after they crash land on the planet, Radha Mitchell walks out into the desert and if you look closely in the background you can see Vin Diesel blowing a guy because he's so gay you guys wake up! (You're all dumb)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Sorry you're too insulated to understand why a public figure lying about his sexuality is a thing that people might care about and might affect them. It's doubly stupid considering Vin Diesel produced a short film called Multi-Facial about his experiences with race affected his casting in movies and you're doing the sexuality equivalent of "who cares about race, I just treat everyone equally :angel:"
If you're not obsessing about whether or not Vin Diesel is gay, you're basically Double Hitler.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That's not how it works. Part of being homosexual is coming out when you want to, not because hiding it might cause someone to selfishly proclaim they're being affected by it. He's a celebrity but you still don't get to own his identity.

e: If he's even gay.

Trainmonk has a new favorite as of 22:02 on Oct 11, 2013

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I recently found out that in Groundhog Day, the song Bill Murray's character plays in the last few scenes is a jazzed up version of "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini" which of course is a piece with a theme and 24 variations of the same theme.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Buzkashi posted:

It could just be a situation where it comes and goes. He could be successful sometimes and unable to perform at others, which might almost be more frustrating.

I think this is the case; his girlfriend (a therapist) wouldn't be dating a guy who could NEVER get it up, but occasionally he just can't perform because he's too stressed out. Because he's a liar rat bastard whose job is literally to root himself out, and naturally he must be disgusted with himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Vin Diesel's sexual orientation is very important for some dumb reason.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Sorry you're too insulated to understand why a public figure lying about his sexuality is a thing that people might care about and might affect them.

No it wouldn't.