Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

JDM3 posted:

Is there an issue with the plastic $5.99 Melitta cones?

no, just people like having options and romanticizing the notion of crafting a cup vs the utility of brewing. I still love my little melitta. Tom at sweet marias actually got the most consistently perfect extraction (tested via refractometer) using melitta compared to their own CCD, Chemex, and V60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

GrAviTy84 posted:

no, just people like having options and romanticizing the notion of crafting a cup vs the utility of brewing. I still love my little melitta. Tom at sweet marias actually got the most consistently perfect extraction (tested via refractometer) using melitta compared to their own CCD, Chemex, and V60.

Pretty much this. My ideal (and now typical) coffee experience is a blend of romanticism and science. For me coffee is purely enjoyed for the taste and experience. I purposefully exclude it and caffeine from my morning routines.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I must admit those Chemex pots with the wood are very stylish and have a nice friendly look to them. CCD should make a model with a wooden handle - the current futuristic look keeps some people away I would imagine.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

JDM3 posted:

I must admit those Chemex pots with the wood are very stylish and have a nice friendly look to them. CCD should make a model with a wooden handle - the current futuristic look keeps some people away I would imagine.

Yeah, that's what I'm leaning toward buying at the moment. I want it to look good too, mostly because we just built a brand new house and I have a nook in the kitchen that I'm planning on putting in cabinetry and a counter top with a built in beer tap to turn the area into a beer/coffee bar. Basically the nicer I can make the area look the easier it is for me to convince the lady that this is a good idea.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Speaking of the Kalita wave... IS it less finicky/easier to get a good cup than with the hario? My control over the pour rate sucks so my hario drawdown rate is too fast :(

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

JDM3 posted:

Is there an issue with the plastic $5.99 Melitta cones?

Not really, only reason I wouldn't get one is that I don't like plastic things. It's pretty much aesthetic, I have a Beehouse that is almost exactly the same thing but it has two wholes not three and is ceramic.

e: I feel that ceramic things get clean a lot easier than plastic.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 2, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Archer2338 posted:

Speaking of the Kalita wave... IS it less finicky/easier to get a good cup than with the hario? My control over the pour rate sucks so my hario drawdown rate is too fast :(

I use the Bonmac. It has a single small hole in the bottom and it makes it really easy to use. The Kalita works fine too but I don't really want to buy new filters. The Bonmac uses the standard coffee filters sold everywhere.

As for your Hario problems, try grinding finer.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
So my brother took apart the Capresso Infinity I gave him about 6 months ago to clean it and he put it back together and now it's having issues. It's grinding with no problems, but turning the hopper does nothing to change the grind size. Did he put something back in wrong? I was over at his place today and I took a look at it and nothing seemed off with it, though I can't remember exactly how things went together in there to be sure. It seems to put out one of the coarser grinds no matter what setting it's on.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I had that exact same issue after cleaning my capresso. Sadly I never could figure out how to fix it and had to order a new one.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

rockcity posted:

So my brother took apart the Capresso Infinity I gave him about 6 months ago to clean it and he put it back together and now it's having issues. It's grinding with no problems, but turning the hopper does nothing to change the grind size. Did he put something back in wrong? I was over at his place today and I took a look at it and nothing seemed off with it, though I can't remember exactly how things went together in there to be sure. It seems to put out one of the coarser grinds no matter what setting it's on.

Same thing happened to me except it was putting out the finest grind all the time. I took it back apart and everything looked fine. In the end, I had tightened down the screw too much. Maybe he didn't tighten enough because it's only the coarse grind? That's what I would suggest playing with to start.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

nwin posted:

Same thing happened to me except it was putting out the finest grind all the time. I took it back apart and everything looked fine. In the end, I had tightened down the screw too much. Maybe he didn't tighten enough because it's only the coarse grind? That's what I would suggest playing with to start.

I had wondered if it had something to do with that, but we took it back apart and I was very light when tightening it. Based on how I believe it adjusts the grind it should still be able to adjust the grind if it's too tight, it would just skew it toward one end of the grind, I would actually assume too coarse since tightening it more would lower the gear further away from the top gear. To me, it seems like something isn't engaging. I'm wondering if there is a certain orientation on the parts that it needs to go in that they don't really tell you.

Edit: I found one mention on coffee geek of someone who said they had the problem and they figured out that they didn't turn the hopper all the way to the furthest spot before removing it and that was causing the hopper to not move the adjuster when it was replaced. I'll have him take a look from the top down to see if he can see where the lever that gets moved to adjust the grind is and try to move it.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 3, 2013

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

rockcity posted:

I had wondered if it had something to do with that, but we took it back apart and I was very light when tightening it. Based on how I believe it adjusts the grind it should still be able to adjust the grind if it's too tight, it would just skew it toward one end of the grind, I would actually assume too coarse since tightening it more would lower the gear further away from the top gear. To me, it seems like something isn't engaging. I'm wondering if there is a certain orientation on the parts that it needs to go in that they don't really tell you.

Edit: I found one mention on coffee geek of someone who said they had the problem and they figured out that they didn't turn the hopper all the way to the furthest spot before removing it and that was causing the hopper to not move the adjuster when it was replaced. I'll have him take a look from the top down to see if he can see where the lever that gets moved to adjust the grind is and try to move it.

When I took mine apart for cleaning I didn't have to unscrew anything. The central part of the mill was easy to pick up and brush off after running the rice through and there was no need to disassemble it. Then it easily fit back in when those tabs were aligned. The outer part of the mill that stayed in the machine was a bit harder, but again, no need to disassemble.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Mu Zeta posted:

I use the Bonmac. It has a single small hole in the bottom and it makes it really easy to use. The Kalita works fine too but I don't really want to buy new filters. The Bonmac uses the standard coffee filters sold everywhere.

As for your Hario problems, try grinding finer.

2nding this, I solved my Hario problems by making my grind a lot finer.

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine
Because of this thread I finally decided to dive into roasting at home. Just bought this kit from Sweet Maria's yesterday with the 8lb sampler http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/coffee-roasters/starter-kits/home-roasting-starter-kit-a-air-roasting.html. I figure with the savings on beans alone it pretty much pays for the more expensive roaster.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Does anyone know if it's possible to get just the filter holder for an aeropress (I.e. Black thing that holds the filter in place)? Mine seems to have gone missing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

kirtar posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to get just the filter holder for an aeropress (I.e. Black thing that holds the filter in place)? Mine seems to have gone missing.
Google "aeropress replacement parts"

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Steve Yun posted:

Google "aeropress replacement parts"

Apparently the answer for the time being is no because the supplier is out of stock. Welp time to order a pourover since it will share filters with my drip machine.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

kirtar posted:

Apparently the answer for the time being is no because the supplier is out of stock. Welp time to order a pourover since it will share filters with my drip machine.

You mean this place? http://www.aeropress.com/aeropress-replacement-parts/
They seem to be taking orders still...
(Ordered from there before, was legit).

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Archer2338 posted:

You mean this place? http://www.aeropress.com/aeropress-replacement-parts/
They seem to be taking orders still...
(Ordered from there before, was legit).

The specific part I need is listed as out of stock

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

kirtar posted:

Now you'll never find it - the best way to find something is to order a new one.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
Got a bit behind on roasting and picked up a pound of "Mexico" from the local boutique roaster in town (owner's a dork (but an awesome dork) and never indicates anything but country of origin). This was for my wife's drip so I could keep my beloved Kochoha for the espresso machine. Anyway, I was in a mad hurry to get to work early this morning and poured a thermos of her coffee before I bolted out the door.

Now, it's not going to set the world on fire but this stuff is smooth as hell. Little chocolate, little nut, just easy going. I could see this being a killer blend base.

Anyone out there have any experience with Mexican varietals they'd like to share? I may have to see what SM has for them on my next order.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

I'm getting prepared for my first roast with the Behmor. Can anyone with experience explain the "Rosetta Stone" thing?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Are there any coffee shops/cafes/roasters that I should check out in Paris? I'm here for a few more days.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are there any coffee shops/cafes/roasters that I should check out in Paris? I'm here for a few more days.

I never really learned to enjoy Parisian coffee, but Telescope is a pretty good place I visited last winter. It was at the time still suffering from Paris' horrible water quality, but they were talking about plans for fixing that, installing filters or something, so it is probably far better now. The place itself is very nice at any event, if possibly a bit hard to find.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Got my behmor today and I'm already in love. Did two 1/4lb test roasts, haven't had a chance to taste test yet but it looks and smells great.

I also got a chemex!

edit: Chemex question - I got a box of unbleached square filters and I can already tell they're gonna taste like cardboard. Will there be any issue if I use a Filtropa filter in it?

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 7, 2013

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Isn't the whole point of the Chemex to use their special ultrathick filters?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes. But it's also really pretty and I like using other filters. The Hario V60 ones work ok and I also like using the Able Kone.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

You can try the other filter. Chemex unbleached filters need like a full 8 ounces at least of water before they don't put brown paper taste in your coffee.

For chemex especially I prefer the bleached, you need a lot less water on the rinse.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Shugojin posted:

You can try the other filter. Chemex unbleached filters need like a full 8 ounces at least of water before they don't put brown paper taste in your coffee.

For chemex especially I prefer the bleached, you need a lot less water on the rinse.

It was a gift so all I have are the unbleached, but I'll give it a shot anyway and see how they work. Definitely gonna rinse the poo poo out of it.

Anyone have chemex tips for 24oz of coffee? I figure I'll just double the ratio I use in my clever (17:1), 40g coffee to 680g of water. This sound about right?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Google Butt posted:

Got my behmor today and I'm already in love. Did two 1/4lb test roasts, haven't had a chance to taste test yet but it looks and smells great.
Enjoy - I think that after the Rocky, the Behmor was my best coffee investment ever.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So I've been getting more serious about making my coffee at home in the past couple of years but I still don't have a scale and am borrowing a mediocre black and decker burr grinder from a friend.

I'm currently alternating between using a aeropress and a chemex and I recently picked up a bonavita variable temperature kettle (which has made making coffee in the morning a dream compared to a whistling stovetop kettle).

I'm ready to pick up a scale so I can work on making a more consistent cup every morning. I was hoping someone could tell me what to look for in a scale.

these are the ones I'm looking at currently:
http://astore.amazon.com/dcily-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=7

thinking maybe this one? http://astore.amazon.com/dcily-20/detail/B003MSZBSI

I'm currently brewing some Yirgacheffe from a roaster here in Portland. super tasty.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

MMD3 posted:

So I've been getting more serious about making my coffee at home in the past couple of years but I still don't have a scale and am borrowing a mediocre black and decker burr grinder from a friend.

I'm currently alternating between using a aeropress and a chemex and I recently picked up a bonavita variable temperature kettle (which has made making coffee in the morning a dream compared to a whistling stovetop kettle).

I'm ready to pick up a scale so I can work on making a more consistent cup every morning. I was hoping someone could tell me what to look for in a scale.

these are the ones I'm looking at currently:
http://astore.amazon.com/dcily-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=7

thinking maybe this one? http://astore.amazon.com/dcily-20/detail/B003MSZBSI

Just get whichever one you thinks looks best/is cheapest that can weigh in 0.1g (or ounces or whatever some people use) increments

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Get a cheap scale and save your money for a better grinder.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm using this American Weigh. $18

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RF3XJ2/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

I also use that and like it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

porktree posted:

Enjoy - I think that after the Rocky, the Behmor was my best coffee investment ever.

Will do. Do you have any tips?

A behmor effort post would be awesome :D

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 8, 2013

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Thirded. Its great for the price, and it also took an aeropress inverted spill with no problem (I had to scrape out coffee grinds from inside the scale and dry it out, but it's still accurate!).

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

toenut posted:

Because of this thread I finally decided to dive into roasting at home. Just bought this kit from Sweet Maria's yesterday with the 8lb sampler http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/coffee-roasters/starter-kits/home-roasting-starter-kit-a-air-roasting.html. I figure with the savings on beans alone it pretty much pays for the more expensive roaster.

Let's have a coffee roasting bro-down dude, we can get mattdev involved too.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Would anyone be interested in buying my lightly used and modified air crazy? I've also got this cool glass gas lamp shade that fits in it prefect, makes for an awesome chiminy.

I modified it so that when you plug it in the fan comes on automatically, and the power switch toggles the heat.

Thinking like $25+ shipping maybe? Not really sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Google Butt posted:

Will do. Do you have any tips?
Make a log, record ambient temp and relative humidity, along with the normal things (origin, supplier, weight, roast time, roast profile used). Ambient temp is a major factor, my roast times vary widely between summer and winter because I roast in the garage, and it can be cold in the winter and hot in the summer. Inversely affecting the roast time.